Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's very good, and very short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

precision posted:

So I just watched Toad Road and uh, drat. Hit way too close to home for me, but what a hypnotic film. It's been classified as "horror" but it's... really not at all. It has a somewhat similar aesthetic to Resolution but is much more grounded in reality, and also much more hosed up, at the same time. One thing is that I genuinely don't know if it would be nearly as effective to someone who has never taken LSD or mushrooms or any heavy psychedelic, because understanding how those drugs feel is extremely key to the "horror" the film presents.

I also love the ending, and how completely loving ballsy of an ending it is. The film gives no way of knowing what was real past the first 30 minutes or so. Once they enter the woods, it's completely up in the air whether James coming out of the woods "months later" was just part of his trip or not. Even the last scene, with him waking up in the snow, isn't a definitive answer to that question - and even if it is, if the snow was meant to be the "seventh gate" and the whole section of him returning and Sara not returning was the sixth gate, the film doesn't show us what happens when you pass through the seventh gate, or if you even can.

OK, now that I've written out all that, I guess it is a horror film, in the sense of being total existential horror.

Yeah it's a good movie. Also the story about the lead actress is very eerie/depressing she actually ended up dying of an overdose before the movie was released

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 20, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

precision posted:

So I just watched Toad Road and uh, drat. Hit way too close to home for me, but what a hypnotic film. It's been classified as "horror" but it's... really not at all. It has a somewhat similar aesthetic to Resolution but is much more grounded in reality, and also much more hosed up, at the same time. One thing is that I genuinely don't know if it would be nearly as effective to someone who has never taken LSD or mushrooms or any heavy psychedelic, because understanding how those drugs feel is extremely key to the "horror" the film presents.

I also love the ending, and how completely loving ballsy of an ending it is. The film gives no way of knowing what was real past the first 30 minutes or so. Once they enter the woods, it's completely up in the air whether James coming out of the woods "months later" was just part of his trip or not. Even the last scene, with him waking up in the snow, isn't a definitive answer to that question - and even if it is, if the snow was meant to be the "seventh gate" and the whole section of him returning and Sara not returning was the sixth gate, the film doesn't show us what happens when you pass through the seventh gate, or if you even can.

OK, now that I've written out all that, I guess it is a horror film, in the sense of being total existential horror.

Toad Road is an excellent movie I am never going to see again.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's also one of those rare times where Netflix predicted I'd give it literally half a star (I'd never seen one so low!) and I immediately slammed "5 stars" as soon as the credits rolled.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Pretty surprised to see criticism of True Detective, if that's not good enough for you I'd really like to hear what shows are actually good. In the end its a police procedural, so yea its going to adhere to certain patterns of the genre, but its incredibly well made on any level you want to talk about. Two heavyweight actors at the height of their talents, gorgeous cinematography that feels more like a movie, a compelling plot, interesting dialogue that goes way beyond typical Law & Order crap, I dunno what else you would need.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

precision posted:

It's also one of those rare times where Netflix predicted I'd give it literally half a star (I'd never seen one so low!) and I immediately slammed "5 stars" as soon as the credits rolled.

I kinda wonder what the algorithm is for what determines the predicted ratings, since a ton of stuff I see ends up either 4.5/.5 and I rarely give anything but a 2 or 3.

Basebf555 posted:

Pretty surprised to see criticism of True Detective, if that's not good enough for you I'd really like to hear what shows are actually good. In the end its a police procedural, so yea its going to adhere to certain patterns of the genre, but its incredibly well made on any level you want to talk about. Two heavyweight actors at the height of their talents, gorgeous cinematography that feels more like a movie, a compelling plot, interesting dialogue that goes way beyond typical Law & Order crap, I dunno what else you would need.
I would've like a compelling plot or interesting dialogue for one. Agree as I've said about the cinematography. I can even agree with the great acting since Harrelson was good with what little they gave him and McConaughey probably deserved emmy consideration based on being able to finish his lines without bursting into laughter and/or openly mocking the writers.

I know my view's fully in the minority, but I can think of 10 cop shows off the top of my head I think were just plain better. That said I'm hopeful for the new season.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Whenever people say, "The thing you have to remember is (work of genre fiction) is kind of, like, about (genre) itself" it's like, yes, genre works generally are created by people with knowledge of genre conventions and thus will reflect them somehow, so what?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

alansmithee posted:

I kinda wonder what the algorithm is for what determines the predicted ratings, since a ton of stuff I see ends up either 4.5/.5 and I rarely give anything but a 2 or 3.

You could have received a million dollars for improving it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netflix_Prize

I find Netflix's predicted ratings to be scarily accurate. I guess that means I have uninteresting tastes.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 20, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

wa27 posted:

I find Netflix's predicted ratings to be scaril accurate. I guess that means I have uninteresting tastes.

Nah, the predictions are usually 100% otm for me. I've found that it helps a lot if you rate a lot of more obscure movies and if you rate things where your enjoyment goes against popular opinion (I rated Pain and Gain 5 stars, for example)

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

Basebf555 posted:

My issue was entirely with the writing. The whole thing felt unfocused and haphazard. They joined a biker gang and then barely mentioned it again. It's cool once, but when things like that kept happening, I disconnected. I need to care about what's going on in a scene or wonder what will happen next. The answer to those questions was usually "it doesn't matter."

(Plus, I think the actors, not the writer, deserve the credit for making the dialog work. On the page, or with less magnetic actors, a lot of those lines and conversations would be cringe-inducing.)

Other parts of the show were great. Cinematography, atmosphere, acting, all great. The end of the biker episode was one of the best action scenes I'd seen in a long time. But once I disconnected from the show after a few episodes, I just found myself thinking about it while watching it, rather than enjoying it. That's no good.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

precision posted:

Nah, the predictions are usually 100% otm for me. I've found that it helps a lot if you rate a lot of more obscure movies and if you rate things where your enjoyment goes against popular opinion (I rated Pain and Gain 5 stars, for example)

Yea it really works well for more obscure stuff. For instance I watched every old Bava movie they had, and now Netflix assumes I will like old obscure horror movies from the 50's and 60's, which I do. I'm getting a lot of recommendations for that kind of thing now instead of just the newest giant crocodile CGI fest.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

wa27 posted:

I find Netflix's predicted ratings to be scarily accurate.
The recommended ratings are usually incredibly close for me but the recommended content is complete trash. The eternal mystery.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

alansmithee posted:

I know my view's fully in the minority, but I can think of 10 cop shows off the top of my head I think were just plain better. That said I'm hopeful for the new season.

any chance of naming those shows so we can either watch them or know how to rate your opinion?

you can't say The Wire !

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

alansmithee posted:

I was just asking for cop shows in this thread! Why don't you list a few for me so I can kill some.... time?

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
These discussions of movies and poo poo are all cute but

Holy christ. I'm only two minutes in and I've laughed out loud three times. Even if the movie is a turd for the other 90 minutes, it's an improvement on half the crap they've recommended.

on a side note regarding The Killing, and any other series that begins with a single crime and the effort to solve that ONE, SINGLE crime. Just don't. *

Unless it begins with the intention to be a single season (Fortitude, which was great).

---
edit:
* I know I know except for Twin Peaks but really that show wasn't about who killed Laura was it?

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 20, 2015

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

alansmithee posted:

Not being a dick but what would a couple of those shows be? Curious because I'd like to check some out if I haven't already.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

That Works posted:

Not being a dick but what would a couple of those shows be? Curious because I'd like to check some out if I haven't already.

Even if there are ten better cop shows in the history of television, is that really saying anything bad about True Detective? The year it was airing I find it hard to believe there was anything in the genre at all close to that level of quality.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Even if there are ten better cop shows in the history of television, is that really saying anything bad about True Detective? The year it was airing I find it hard to believe there was anything in the genre at all close to that level of quality.

Fargo was close, but still not quite as good

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Fargo was close, but still not quite as good

I thought about mentioning Fargo but I thought that was last year, and True Detective the year before last.

Either way, an all-time top ten list of police procedurals that didn't include True Detective would almost definitely have a few entries that I'd disagree with. For me its top-3 alongside The Wire and Homicide.

Off the top of my head I can think of a few shows that people may conceivably place higher than TD, but not that many. NYPD Blue, The Shield, The Wire, Homicide, maybe Third Watch and Southland.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

That Works posted:

The Wire, Wiseguy from the 80's, and that is about all I can think of off the top of my head (unless you count Treme as a cop show). I haven't watch The Shield so no comment. All subjective, but any way you slice it season 1 of True Detective is pretty well respected even if you didn't love it.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 20, 2015

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

precision posted:

(I rated Pain and Gain 5 stars, for example)

You should have rated it six stars. What an awesome movie.

I am a very big fan of Scrotal Recall after watching the entire series in one sitting. Maybe it's because the Evie is cute as hell, but I also thought it was very funny and even a little sweet.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

nate fisher posted:

I haven't watch The Shield so no comment.

You should watch the Shield. It's streaming free on amazon prime if you have it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

nate fisher posted:

The Wire, Wiseguy from the 80's, and that is about all I can think of off the top of my head (unless you count Treme as a cop show). I haven't watch The Shield so no comment. All subjective, but any way you slice it season 1 of True Detective is pretty well respected even if you didn't love it.

Wiseguy was fantastic.

wafflesnsegways posted:

My issue was entirely with the writing. The whole thing felt unfocused and haphazard. They joined a biker gang and then barely mentioned it again. It's cool once, but when things like that kept happening, I disconnected. I need to care about what's going on in a scene or wonder what will happen next. The answer to those questions was usually "it doesn't matter."

It seems more like you weren't paying attention.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It seems more like you weren't paying attention.

:smith:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm serious, though, they don't join a bike gang. In fact there is more than one scene that explains Cohle's relationship to Ginger, and what exactly he's using Ginger for. The situation that develops is not random or just occurring because it looks cool (though it's probably the most iconic sequence in the whole show). So whether it held your attention or not is one thing but they certainly don't just introduce that and then drop it out of nowhere.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

That Works posted:

Most have been mentioned. I brought up a couple earlier (Happy Valley, Broadchurch). The Wire and The Shield are givens. The Fall (at least the first season), and the first season of The Killing I thought were as good/better. Hannibal if you consider that a cop show. The Bridge, Justified, Banshee if you'd want to consider that (totally different tone than the others though, of course).

I guess most of the stuff that made it "stand out" to other people just seemed silly/didn't work at all to me, so all that was left was a decent police procedural with amazing cinematography. And the stuff that didn't work actively seemed to detract from things.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Broadchurch, better than true detective? Mind boggles.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't even know how to converse with a person who liked Season 1 of The Killing more than True Detective. Its goddamn depressing is what it is.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

wafflesnsegways posted:

My issue was entirely with the writing. The whole thing felt unfocused and haphazard. They joined a biker gang and then barely mentioned it again.

This was the one part of the show I didn't get. Obviously a biker gang is not going to have the smartest guys in it, but their plan was to dress up like cops.... but keep their giant ZZ-Top beards? And then go in with a guy still dressed like a biker?

In what universe did that plan have even the remotest chance of fooling anyone?

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

This was the one part of the show I didn't get. Obviously a biker gang is not going to have the smartest guys in it, but their plan was to dress up like cops.... but keep their giant ZZ-Top beards? And then go in with a guy still dressed like a biker?

In what universe did that plan have even the remotest chance of fooling anyone?

I think it was only supposed to buy them quick cover in a walk up or drive up situation, once they started raiding the place all bets were off.

Also they were high as hell, maybe their rational economist minds that also had them be part of a biker gang and raid a drug den didn't follow through on costumes. Even Rust is like ugggh on the continuum of biker deals this one is on the low end.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I would totally put Banshee forth as better than True Detective, but it's kinda splitting hairs because it's not THAT much better and they scratch very very different itches.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I finally got around to watching [Rec] 3. That was, uh, an interesting shift in tone from the first two. I didn't dislike it, but I sure wasn't expecting it.

Is the fourth one more in line with the rest of the series, or does that one play like a Dead Rising adaptation, too?

Also, I was pretty jazzed to see King of Kong was on Hulu! I watched that and Chasing Ghosts this afternoon. I find that whole cast of characters so fascinating, and never having seen Chasing Ghosts before, I was pleasantly surprised as to how nice a companion piece it was to King of Kong.

Seriously good watching if you haven't gotten around to them yet. Billy Mitchell is a fantastic low-stakes comic book villain, and his gang of henchmen are priceless.

Edit: On the topic of video game docs, Game Over was a boring piece of poo poo. The history of Atari stuff was sorta neat, but the rest was so goddamn grating. I don't have a very predominant bully instinct, but I wanted to kick the snot out of that annoying weirdo with the Delorean.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 20, 2015

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The arcade I hang out at every now and then has a DK machine signed by Billy Mitchell. I kinda wanna Sharpie his name out because he's such a horrible fuckhead, but the owners would get indescribably pissed off at me for that, so my lizard brain must lie dormant.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk1m34KlB1E

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

"If you can't figure out what my initials are, you're not paying close enough attention."

"T.I.E.?"

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

DangerDummy! posted:

"If you can't figure out what my initials are, you're not paying close enough attention."

"T.I.E.?"

BM

Because by that point it should be blatantly obvious that he's a piece of poo poo.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

So I finished up season 1 of Turn and yeah it was pretty good. Didn't know at the time that just about all of the people (aside from the Generals) were also historical figures in their own right. I figured that most of the cast would just be made up people set in the times.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

LORD OF BUTT posted:

The arcade I hang out at every now and then has a DK machine signed by Billy Mitchell. I kinda wanna Sharpie his name out because he's such a horrible fuckhead, but the owners would get indescribably pissed off at me for that, so my lizard brain must lie dormant.

If that arcade were within three hours of me I'd drive there myself and do it, but I suspect its too far away.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Dawg Fight is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Dawg Fight is good.