Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yea, the hmc itself has a management port, we just never bothered to actually plug that one in to anything it looks like :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

Inspector_666 posted:

I get this all the loving time from clients and co workers and project managers.

One of our PMs also really likes to just repeat my questions back to me.

Me: Hey do you know what happened to the modem at CLIENT's old office?
PM: Modem?

:psyduck:

Is your PM Solid Snake?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

BrainWeasel posted:

Is your PM Solid Snake?

God, I wish.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Antioch posted:

Three, count 'em *THREE* loving cryptowall infections in 2 weeks. First one, fine, it was like 12 hours old and AV definitions hadn't updated. Caught it early, only had to restore 3 folders. Second one, same infection, "Oh whoops we forgot to put Kaspersky on that VM Host tee hee". Third one, just now, "Oh, you mean you wanted AV on *ALL* the VM hosts? That's a lot of AV, it'll probably have like, performance impact". Because you know, losing hours to recovering encrypted files == no loving performance impact, you knobs.

Wait. Why is cryptowall hitting VM Hosts?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

deimos posted:

Wait. Why is cryptowall hitting VM Hosts?
Hyper-V, probably

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

anthonypants posted:

Hyper-V, probably

The next question is why are hyperv hosts being used for anything else period.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

anthonypants posted:

Hyper-V, probably

That's zero excuse rofl

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

anthonypants posted:

Hyper-V, probably

Cryptowall works on Core installs?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
If you run hyper v all you do is install the OS and add the hyper v role, if you wanted more than that it'd be an esxi host.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm trying to imagine what sort of hosed up infrastructure would be running there that anyone is opening emails/random files on a Hyper-V Host.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

If you run hyper v all you do is install the OS and add the hyper v role, if you wanted more than that it'd be an esxi host.

I mean, yea, its obviously possible to get it on a hyper-v host since it's still just windows but this:

m.hache posted:

I'm trying to imagine what sort of hosed up infrastructure would be running there that anyone is opening emails/random files on a Hyper-V Host.

If the hosts actually have network shares or people dumb enough to open poo poo even have permissions to log in to them then you done hosed up son.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Gwaihir posted:

Well that shouldn't be too hard an issue to deal with- Unless your HMC is like 5+ years old, it probably has quad ethernet ports, and even if it does only have two ports, you can always pop in a standalone ethernet card- it's just a normal X86 machine.

Eth0 is probably the assigned connection to your system's service processors. (It is on mine at least- Eth0 is connected to a switch in the iseries rack, has a static 192.168.x IP address, and the only other thing plugged in to those switches are the system service processors. This is the connection it's going to try and open a 5250 console with. Eth1 is the management connection to my main server network.)

The box has 3 Ethernet ports. The 3rd one is the special management/console port thing and not in use. From what I'm seeing, the first physical port is actually ETH1 and is the service processor network/private network ( has a weird ip and dhcp service assigned) this one has both lights on and blinking continuously pretty much. The 2nd physical port is ETH0 and is set with a static ip that we used to access the hmc through. Tried a bunch of things and even though the config lists the correct ip, if you bring up the network tests it doesn't even list ETH0 in it. On boot it looks like it tries to do something with eth0 but it gets a 'service busy ... Failed' . But I think eth1 does also. drat this restricted shell not giving me access to commands. Probably going to be contacting IBM tomorrow. Maybe the port did go bad, no hardware errors are showing up.

Typing on the phone sucks. Too bad SA is filtered 'tasteless' here.

Edit: for reading all this poo poo, here's a fun fact about the Unix admin I learned - while working for us, he actually took another job and worked there for 2 weeks before deciding he didn't like it and stopped going. That would explain why no one could ever locate him

Danith fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 20, 2015

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Danith posted:

Edit: for reading all this poo poo, here's a fun fact about the Unix admin I learned - while working for us, he actually took another job and worked there for 2 weeks before deciding he didn't like it and stopped going. That would explain why no one could ever locate him

Hahaha that's awesome, I admire his style.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Danith posted:

Does he still work for you? If so, why?

J
Jun 10, 2001

Danith posted:

That's certainly one way to take advantage of an at will employment agreement. :getin:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

RFC2324 posted:

For me 'Please advise' is a more professional way of saying 'something hosed up in this process, and I can't see what, now what the gently caress do I do?'
That's my thought too.

Our new HR person has a habit of both not knowing how to read our replies to her tickets, and submitting 3+ tickets on a subject.
She locked herself out of her computer this morning and I had to reset her password. We have a rule that people can't change their password again within 24 hours. So she submitted a ticket asking what complexity rule her new password isn't meeting. Told her the rule and closed.
3 hours later, same question. Combined with the first ticket and pointed out the same rule. Closed.
4:57pm, same question. God damnit woman. gently caress off. Combined and closed without comment. At least when I get in tomorrow it won't be an issue anymore.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
'Please advise' is what I reply with when I've tried some retarded idea sent by another vendor that predictably failed.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Potato Alley posted:

Ah yes, the old flood the server room to distract from how bad your cable management is ploy.

Man that's actually pretty good by the standards of some of the poo poo I've seen.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

go3 posted:

'Please advise' is what I reply with when I've tried some retarded idea sent by another vendor that predictably failed.

That's pretty much the same way I use it.

"Yes, I've given all my users local admin and the problem still persists (didn't actually do this). Please advise (you better find an actual way to fix this without opening up pandoras' box in my environment)."

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Please advise is my pleasant way of telling someone they hosed up, especially salespeople.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

"Kindly advise" is somehow "please advise" taken to a new, way more passive aggressive level.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

m.hache posted:

Still waiting for the update that explains the crazy clusterfuck that allowed it to happen.
:allears:

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

deimos posted:

Still waiting for the update that explains the crazy clusterfuck that allowed it to happen.

I'm going to guess they set up a VM host on someone's computer to test things then just said gently caress it and made the thing production.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
A server came in ... sort of.

Instead of 3x 2TB 7200s and 2x 300GB 10Ks it came with 3x 1TB 7200s and 0 SAS drives.

I think this will be the last straw with this vendor, after I get done explaining to the customer why their new server won't be up today.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

FreshFeesh posted:

A server came in ... sort of.

Instead of 3x 2TB 7200s and 2x 300GB 10Ks it came with 3x 1TB 7200s and 0 SAS drives.

I think this will be the last straw with this vendor, after I get done explaining to the customer why their new server won't be up today.

I wish I could fire my vendors. I can count the number of things one of them has done right on one hand without running out of fingers. Even if I anticipate the problem and call attention to it in a way that is read by the actual human being responsible for fixing it, it never gets done right.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Earlier this year, we ordered three new editing computers for a few departments from TigerDirect. They were supposed to come downgraded to Windows 7, but they all came loaded with 8.1 with no 7 installation disks or keys to do so.

We contacted our rep and they sent out some installation disks and then emailed me some keys. I don't trust any Windows key that isn't smeared with official Microsoft holofoil, so I'm dubious at all this, but I'm just a powerless flunkie and my concerns were ignored. Two of the keys worked, and one didn't. That particular computer didn't require 7, so no biggie.

Surprise, surprise, six months later the two other computers are popping up counterfeit software warnings and my supervisor doesn't believe me about it and I can't get him to even feign giving a poo poo about the matter.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

larchesdanrew posted:

Earlier this year, we ordered three new editing computers for a few departments from TigerDirect. They were supposed to come downgraded to Windows 7, but they all came loaded with 8.1 with no 7 installation disks or keys to do so.

We contacted our rep and they sent out some installation disks and then emailed me some keys. I don't trust any Windows key that isn't smeared with official Microsoft holofoil, so I'm dubious at all this, but I'm just a powerless flunkie and my concerns were ignored. Two of the keys worked, and one didn't. That particular computer didn't require 7, so no biggie.

Surprise, surprise, six months later the two other computers are popping up counterfeit software warnings and my supervisor doesn't believe me about it and I can't get him to even feign giving a poo poo about the matter.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2832566

TLDR; Pro versions of Windows allow for downgrading to previous versions. You're left to your own devices to acquire a key to use for the installation, but can just call the activation center to activate.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

gently caress Microsoft for giving you downgrade rights and no legitimate way to exercise those rights.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

Earlier this year, we ordered three new editing computers for a few departments from TigerDirect.

I have yet to hear anyone give TigerDirect any good reviews.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

deimos posted:

I was misinformed. I was under the impression that this had come from our VDI set up, which has Kaspersky scanning the whole host rather than 'clients'. But it actually came from a "Forefront protected" Windows XP machine with mapped drives. Because of the clusterfuck that is our file servers (that's another story) this user had write access to a whole lot of places, and the infection just started working its way through the stack.

Last week's infection *did* come from a VDI machine, and the host running that VDI pool was not protected by any AV, Kaspersky or otherwise. This, I am assured, has been resolved.

The one before that came from a laptop.

Good times.

The File Server Situation:
I tried to set up DFS once upon a time. Got as far as having 3 file servers set up, with a domain Root and everything. Migrated over a bunch of areas, documented the poo poo out of it, and then moved to a different team. The guy that took over got 'confused' and finished the DFS migration by ... setting up 5 more DFS servers, and manually mapping users to individual servers (\\DFSServerX\users\%username% rather than the much more useful \\domain\users\%username%). So a bunch of people map to the Domain Root, a bunch more map to individual servers, replication is just a non-starter, and there's not a standard way to map a user to their home folder. So that's fun.

In doing the migration, he also wiped out all the permissions on files, then half assed putting them back in place. So there's a whole slew of folders with inherited permissions granted to Authenticated Users rather than, you know, proper groups or individuals.

Migishu posted:

I bought a videocard from them once for personal use. It worked fine. Shipping time sucked though.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Migishu posted:

My sentiments exactly, I refuse to use them for anything. But I've noticed an alarming trend of the people in charge of buying things just loving the poo poo out of them.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Migishu posted:

I got an EVGA Titan SC from them when it came out since everywhere else was sold out. Other than that I go to Fry's if I need something today, Newegg/Amazon if it can wait.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

This one just came into our queue

quote:

PR 5
Job Website blocked
Note https://www.facebook.com

"Website blocked by Trend Micro Worry-Free Business Security"

So tempted to close it with "working as intended"
Although my boss will probably do that when he sees it.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Varkk posted:

This one just came into our queue

So tempted to close it with "working as intended"
Although my boss will probably do that when he sees it.

"Yes, Have some."

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

A lot of https sites get hosed up here and one day a couple of years ago Facebook decided to change to https by default and it just broke for everyone. Suddenly there are all these emails and tickets going around about "some websites" not working and "internet issues" as everyone tries to pretend like they're not talking about Facebook.

Fellatio del Toro fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 21, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm going to guess the certificate that you get when you browse those sites hasn't actually come from the website in question.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

My fix was to just tell them to get on their phone and turn off secure browsing.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
So I've been at this new job for a couple or so months now and it's been AMAZING.

They don't have an IT bed unfortunately, (well bed-roll at my last job) but they do let you go home at night and on the weekends.
I haven't had a single threadworthy thing... until today.

The end of the fiscal year is coming up, so every department is running around screaming "HOLY gently caress WE NEED TO SPEND ALL THIS MONEY!!!"
One particular department is requesting new tablets. Enjoy:

:j: hi gnarlyharlie4u. I would like a quote and possible purchase for at least one (possibly two) tablets to include: --connectivity --case --keyboard
Thank you.

:shobon: LadyA,
Please find the attached quote for one 4G cellular capable ElitePad and Productivity jacket.
This does not include the cost of Cellular service. We will need to contact %provider% for that.
Have a great day!

:j: LadyB and I discovered an issue: Windows tablets don’t allow us to run the apps we need in emergencies—%app% (news releases), %app% (social media), and %app% (alert system). We need either an Android or iPad. I’m sorry I didn’t realize this before.
If this isn’t too presumptuous, here are some tablets we researched that seem to work with our needs. -GalaxyTab, iPad Air, Kindle. We’re also of course open to your suggestions.

:shobon:(what the gently caress? Kindle?)
LadyA,
Currently we do not support android or apple products.
If you need a tablet for emergency purposes, a Windows tablet will suffice.
You can log into the respective %app%, %app%, and %app% websites instead of using the apple or android application.
Please let me know if you would like to proceed with the purchase of one, or two Windows tablets.

=====A month passes with no response. I pinged her 3 times and closed the ticket=====

=====Yesterday=====
:j: gnarlycharlie4u,
We must use apps to do our job, so we will not buy Windows tablets. We will go buy iPads.
Will we get the connectivity accounts through IT, or should we open up our own Verizon accounts? We’re planning on going to the Apple store today.
--LadyA

We have a very strict policy that all mobile device (and pretty much any tech) purchases must go through the IT dept.
The Boss and half my department are at a conference. I just laughed and forwarded it on to the highest-of-ups.

Edit:
and I just noticed this after posting.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 22, 2015

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

larchesdanrew posted:

My sentiments exactly, I refuse to use them for anything. But I've noticed an alarming trend of the people in charge of buying things just loving the poo poo out of them.

I get my personal stuff from them if there's a good deal but I would never get client or work computers from their that's insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Must just be because I work with Apple stuff all day long, but her request seemed pretty reasonable. "If it isn't Windows it isn't ready for the enterprise" stopped being true a long time ago.

• Locked thread