Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

CommonShore posted:

that bad poster has an inflated opinion of the degree to which other people care about his bad posts. It's not like "grr, here comes that bad poster! he makes me so mad," it's like "ugh, this guy again? man I should just put him on ignore. aah, effort. whatever. I'll just scroll past."

Yeah it's easy to make it seem that way when you're in denial but he clearly has you all wound around his finger :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

gwrtheyrn posted:

Dics are destroyers :colbert:

Frigates, Cruisers, Battleships. Small, medium large.

Those are the sizes for subcaps and it's reflected in their modules and weapon systems.

The rest is just so much fluff.

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 20, 2015

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Nietzschean posted:

I guess the world of Yesterday's Goonfleet dot com was a different one.

I personally never even saw any reason for why shooting pos is considered bad, or boring, or a waste of time. Space in EVE is big, lag and time dilation exist, and it takes time for people to get their poo poo together and go somewhere. Whether you are grinding down a multi-million EHP structure or locked in TiDi for the annual super slugfest, anything you do in a fleet is going to take a pretty big chunk of time. It is only really possible to have fights of any kind on a grid that the other party has a reason to be on, be it camping a gate or defending a station or dogpiling onto a titan that pushed the wrong button, and static objectives like pos with timers associated with them give all interested parties a date to RSVP for smashing their action figures against each other. In short, structure shots and reps generate fights, if not on that specific fleet then on some future one or else the enemy just rolls over and runs away or collapses.

Speaking of enemies rolling over and collapsing, how is the collapse of pretty much every one of our enemies working out for us? I can only assume it leaves Goons in Space with pretty much nothing to do, judging by the recent (lack of) content in TWR.

You of all people should know there is a not small contingent that want only the fun fights without the effort to set them up. Reavers has the same issue.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ullerrm posted:

Not sure if you're under a rock. Fozziesov got delayed to july. :(

Glory of Arioch posted:

more like eight weeks

Ugh I somehow missed that when reading through the most recent blogs and stuff. Though it should have been pretty loving obvious since I was aware the station services stuff was the only thing being tested on sisi.

So it's two weeks in star citizen time then. :v:

vyst posted:

This was a time before siege fleet. Because siegefleet was kind of a neat concept.
Siege fleet was lovely. But it was the most effective thing we could do, so better than then nothing. Especially when the usual PL suspects showed up here trying to propaganda people into not flying siege fleets. That was pretty great.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
I've been on 12 hour siege fleets that were great simply because the people on it were nice to talk to.

I really don't mind POS bashes.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Shush. HDef is immortal.

frot men rule.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

ullerrm posted:

Also, not sure why people talk about Suas in the present tense; he hasn't played Eve in years.

It's been a year.

And we were talking about less annoying and more entertaining FCs in GSF- SUAS was always good for a laugh, a song, and sometimes a copious amount of self worth (depending on if the conversation devolved into cocaine addiction, again); speaking of cocaine, that little miracle drug was completely responsible for this gem (had to settle for the soundcloud since the soundboard link doesn't work anymore :rip:).

Zephyrine posted:

I've been on 12 hour siege fleets that were great simply because the people on it were nice to talk to.

See the previously linked soundcloud for a stratop mid-branch (I think, maybe delve :iiam:) mid-Vale of the Silent (This reminded me. I was still awake at 4am because I couldn't stop laughing at Vily talking about boning Mintchip and singing about titans getting slapped in the face.

Xolve fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 20, 2015

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Xolve posted:

It's been a year.

And we were talking about less annoying and more entertaining FCs in GSF- SUAS was always good for a laugh, a song, and sometimes a copious amount of self worth (depending on if the conversation devolved into cocaine addiction, again); speaking of cocaine, that little miracle drug was completely responsible for this gem (had to settle for the soundcloud since the soundboard link doesn't work anymore :rip:).

SUAS hasn't been relevant for a while lets be honest

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Xolve posted:

It's been a year.

From 43:10 on is the best :allears:

Hexel fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 20, 2015

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

CommonShore posted:

that bad poster has an inflated opinion of the degree to which other people care about his bad posts. It's not like "grr, here comes that bad poster! he makes me so mad," it's like "ugh, this guy again? man I should just put him on ignore. aah, effort. whatever. I'll just scroll past."

This is basically ever stupid pubbie wannabe-troll ever where any response (or non-response) is interpreted as "lol epic tears ftw umad umad umad"

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

ullerrm posted:

Not sure if you're under a rock. Fozziesov got delayed to july. :(

Also, not sure why people talk about Suas in the present tense; he hasn't played Eve in years.

Relevance aside he only took a break again about a year ago so he isnt that far removed from alot of peoples memory.

Im pretty sure all the ratters in dek breathed a sigh of relief when his 25 carrier ratting force unsubbed.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The human brain has an inborn need to save face and not accept it when it makes a fool of itself, and :troll: puppetmaster :troll: poo poo is a perfect mask to hide that behind.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

whenever I get mad I just take it out on pubbies.

http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=28976299

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

Zasze posted:

Relevance aside he only took a break again about a year ago so he isnt that far removed from alot of peoples memory.

Im pretty sure all the ratters in dek breathed a sigh of relief when his 25 carrier ratting force unsubbed.

When he said he was having to take a break between work and family commitments he said if he wasn't back in a month he was gone for good :(.

But then again how many people have said that before. Ask in space violence jabber I think lakz still chats with him on occasion.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kalenn Istarion posted:

You of all people should know there is a not small contingent that want only the fun fights without the effort to set them up. Reavers has the same issue.

Yes. But we are large enough that the small percentage of people willing to go on any fleet that gives a stratop pap is big enough to fill the fleets that need them.

Sterling_Archer
May 10, 2012

"What do you mean we're not in compliance?"

Viva Miriya posted:

Free vouch into ISRAD for any holesquad dude who awoxes Mara Tessidar's Paladin and steals his poo poo.

Offer still good?

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

A

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I know. It's crazy that some people don't think that playing this game should be a job.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Dalael posted:

I'll admit a little bit of annoyance at being seen this way, but that is 100% 200% 500% my fault. I spent a bit too much time badposting in here and the little troll thread I made definitely did not help my case. But in all fairness, some of you guys like to dish it out but can't seem to take it.

I was talking to someone on comms a while back and mentionned that I was going to stop that shitposting (this post aside I guess?) because I have seen a lot of it in this thread lately, and I now understand the annoyance you guys feel.

I will call bullshit on your whole "indifferent" comment however. If you were truly indifferent, you would stop calling me out every chance you get. Your idea that I latch on to other people's posts is kinda weird. I call it: "commenting on something that is said." (In the case of this post, its called answering a comment) In the end, not many people here are 'good posters' anyways. The amount of empty quoting, lol and pointless comments posted every day would not diminish at all even if I were to never post again.

All in all, I am not completely indifferent to you or any of the regulars in here. You, for example, seem to be someone who genuinely care about the community. I get the impression that you like helping others and like to impart your knowledge. I respect that, no matter how often you tell me to get out.

99% if the time, I don't mind to be called out on the amount of :nexus: I say. The only time that I do get slightly bothered, is when I genuinely try to help someone out, and get poo poo on for it. When that happens, I sigh a bit, blame myself for having been an rear end and move on with my day.

lol

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

Dalael posted:

I'll admit a little bit of annoyance at being seen this way, but that is 100% 200% 500% my fault. I spent a bit too much time badposting in here and the little troll thread I made definitely did not help my case. But in all fairness, some of you guys like to dish it out but can't seem to take it.

I was talking to someone on comms a while back and mentionned that I was going to stop that shitposting (this post aside I guess?) because I have seen a lot of it in this thread lately, and I now understand the annoyance you guys feel.

I will call bullshit on your whole "indifferent" comment however. If you were truly indifferent, you would stop calling me out every chance you get. Your idea that I latch on to other people's posts is kinda weird. I call it: "commenting on something that is said." (In the case of this post, its called answering a comment) In the end, not many people here are 'good posters' anyways. The amount of empty quoting, lol and pointless comments posted every day would not diminish at all even if I were to never post again.

All in all, I am not completely indifferent to you or any of the regulars in here. You, for example, seem to be someone who genuinely care about the community. I get the impression that you like helping others and like to impart your knowledge. I respect that, no matter how often you tell me to get out.

99% if the time, I don't mind to be called out on the amount of :nexus: I say. The only time that I do get slightly bothered, is when I genuinely try to help someone out, and get poo poo on for it. When that happens, I sigh a bit, blame myself for having been an rear end and move on with my day.

Maybe you should just stop posting

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is there a trick to making the mumble overlay work in this? I tried for an hour to pin it down earlier and it just never worked, whether I launched Eve or Mumble first, whether it was in Fullscreen or Windowed, whatever.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Ciaphas posted:

Is there a trick to making the mumble overlay work in this? I tried for an hour to pin it down earlier and it just never worked, whether I launched Eve or Mumble first, whether it was in Fullscreen or Windowed, whatever.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/23cbkv/how_to_get_mumble_overlay_for_64x_client/

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Certainly a lot of faff just for an overlay, but at least it works. Thanks! :ullerrm:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Here's a new question. When I get home from work, I usually have about an hour before I gotta get to bed, on account of a "we say 10s but they're more like 12s" work schedule. Is there much that can really be done in this game in an hour or less besides loving around with PI? I guess I could go exploring for cash, but that's not much time. And am I just poo poo out of luck for PvP on such a small timeframe, newbie that I am?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Best bet is to get a stash of frigates in a busy lowsec system or cluster of systems and just go for it.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Ciaphas posted:

Here's a new question. When I get home from work, I usually have about an hour before I gotta get to bed, on account of a "we say 10s but they're more like 12s" work schedule. Is there much that can really be done in this game in an hour or less besides loving around with PI? I guess I could go exploring for cash, but that's not much time. And am I just poo poo out of luck for PvP on such a small timeframe, newbie that I am?

You can always try solo pvp, small gang pvp, miner ganking in high sec, ratting (or better yet, afk ratting). CTA/Strat ops are pretty much the only things you can't properly do in under an hour. The form up alone is often 30+ minutes.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Ciaphas posted:

Certainly a lot of faff just for an overlay, but at least it works. Thanks! :ullerrm:

You have 2 other options if for whatever reason you decide you don't like using mumble-d:
1) You can set eve to just open the game in dx9, but you always have to use the launcher.
or
2) You can download and install the 1.3 dev version of mumble, which has an overlay that works with dx11. I haven't had problems with this, but it is a development snapshot, so you might

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Should I complete the Career Agent stuff before applying? I already did the military one for the free ships and skillbooks. Exploration looks like it might be worth learning for the very basics of scanners and stuff (and it looks neat). Any of the others particularly important?

Also, given that I imagine there's a lot of downtime for a newbie if you don't have a fleet to cart your rear end around at that particular time, should I invest in the stuff to keep a Jump Clone somewhere civilized for times when there's not much going on for an unskilled (in both points and knowledge) player out in the wastelands of null sec?

Lastly, like I mentioned before I've already got a goonfleet forum account, but it was never linked to EVE, it was when I was playing MWO. Do I just need to jump down in the application process to adding character APIs and get added to the proper forum group, or do I need to re-go through the rest of the authorization process? If nobody knows, I'll just send an email to the newbies address. It's a bit of an unusual situation relative to the instructions in the wiki/OP.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

There is something you have to do if you have an MWO related registration, I just don't remember what it is (since I've never had to do it myself personally). Fire off an email to newbies@goonfleet.com

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Zaodai posted:

Should I complete the Career Agent stuff before applying? I already did the military one for the free ships and skillbooks. Exploration looks like it might be worth learning for the very basics of scanners and stuff (and it looks neat). Any of the others particularly important?

Also, given that I imagine there's a lot of downtime for a newbie if you don't have a fleet to cart your rear end around at that particular time, should I invest in the stuff to keep a Jump Clone somewhere civilized for times when there's not much going on for an unskilled (in both points and knowledge) player out in the wastelands of null sec?

Lastly, like I mentioned before I've already got a goonfleet forum account, but it was never linked to EVE, it was when I was playing MWO. Do I just need to jump down in the application process to adding character APIs and get added to the proper forum group, or do I need to re-go through the rest of the authorization process? If nobody knows, I'll just send an email to the newbies address. It's a bit of an unusual situation relative to the instructions in the wiki/OP.

I would recommend doing all of the career agent things just to get a sense for how they go, before joining GW in game just because of all the war dek stuff in highsec, then taking the pod express to Dek. Some of those tutorials have good information in them (and free skill books)

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

darth cookie posted:

There is something you have to do if you have an MWO related registration, I just don't remember what it is (since I've never had to do it myself personally). Fire off an email to newbies@goonfleet.com

It's mostly just hit up Vyst about getting transferred from MWO only to all of GF access if I recall. There should be a post in the MWO subforum about it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Zaodai posted:

All the Agents give you free ships and skillbooks and liquidating everything will get you some starting scratch. Industry and Business are kind of one and the same for the most part. You can skip one or the other unless you want both t1 hauler rewards.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll clear all the Agents then. Fair point about making sure I finish all my newbie stuff before I join up too. I'm sure plenty of people would enjoy blowing up goons, especially new ones. I already had a warning pop up (briefly) that someone was trying to scramble me on my short trip from Caldari space to Amarr. They weren't successful, but it was surprising to see in a high sec system. I didn't even see anybody lock onto me in my overview, though that is likely because my overview is set up incredibly shittily right now.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

EponymousMrYar posted:

All the Agents give you free ships and skillbooks and liquidating everything will get you some starting scratch. Industry and Business are kind of one and the same for the most part. You can skip one or the other unless you want both t1 hauler rewards.

If for nothing else, all the starter career agents give pretty hefty bonuses to empire/faction standings (with no drawbacks) so running them all once can only help you later when you accidentally pod some poor fucker in a NPC corp and it tanks your standings (at least it will offset the blow a bit).

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
When doing the Advanced Military mission where they warn you that your ship will blow up, platinum insure whatever ship you're going to be flying. You'll get the insurance money. Also bookmark the can that the station leaves behind and pick it up in another ship, it usually has some nice things in it.

Passive Targeters are a thing, which lets someone lock you and scan you without you knowing for however long the passive targeter cycle lasts. Or someone wanted a high sec gank for whatever reason.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
Since we are in the HIC vs DIC discussion, i'll go ahead and ask my noob question: what's the difference in fleet tactics?

DIC is basically "go to them, bubble them and collect the SRP", but i don't see many HICs in fleets. Is it because they do they exact same but are quite more expensive? Or do they behave differently?

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Apart from drinking, there is absolutely nothing to do here.

RattiRatto posted:

Since we are in the HIC vs DIC discussion, i'll go ahead and ask my noob question: what's the difference in fleet tactics?

DIC is basically "go to them, bubble them and collect the SRP", but i don't see many HICs in fleets. Is it because they do they exact same but are quite more expensive? Or do they behave differently?

Dics die fast. And people wants to participate in fights. Even nonGW SRP+insurance covers full fit (if you don't modify it somehow).

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

RattiRatto posted:

From: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=221826 (I am not sure how much of this is still relevant tho)

Interdictors ('DICs) are disposable (cheaper, and fragile = Destroyer-class). They launch (can fit multiple launchers) area-of-effect Warp Disrupt Probes which creates a bubble that last 2 minutes. Typically they launch, bounce (if they survive), and cloak. Their main defense is a small signature and speed (hence the Minmatar Sabre is the most popular), plus a cloak.

Heavy Interdictors (HICs - cruiser-class) can have an impressive tank, especially Devoter and Onyx, and have a dual-purpose Warp Disruption Field Generator (there is a T2 version as well) that can be used as a bubble or infinite point (loaded Focused Warp Disruption script determines) that lasts as long as the module is activated. It is possible to fit two or more generators.

Bubbles cannot be used in hisec or lowsec, so 'DICs are only useful for low-level missions there (the new T1 destroyers are arguably better, with more DPS but less tank). Infinite point can be used anywhere. HIC with Infinite point is only way to stop a supercap in lowsec.

HICs are often used for fleet cyno ships. They are usually all defense and no offense.

HICs cannot be repped when their generator is active (hence more than one in a fleet to take turns), nor can they move very fast. HICs are often used in w-space to close wormholes, as the generators greatly reduce the mass of the ship.

Maintaining capacitor is the biggest challenge for a HIC pilot (next to staying alive of course).

A random carrier pilot is more likely to throw a few 'DICs into his hangar than a few HICs.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Sterling_Archer posted:

Offer still good?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game

Dalael posted:

HICs cannot be repped when their generator is active (hence more than one in a fleet to take turns), nor can they move very fast.

This make me think: they die at the same speed in fleet fights (not small scale i mean), so it's definitely better a DIC since the bubble will still stay up after they start to fill the SRP loss.
Obviously HICs are really good for infinite point, but that is the only use i can see so far.

• Locked thread