Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Jibo posted:

I like that they have multiple "Where is Zhang Fei's Wine" levels.

The GIG posted:

The amount of levels and scenarios where Zhang Fei gets drunk and ruins everything in recent games is pretty great.
And I remember DW7 having a specific one in Conquest mode about Lu Bu invading Xu Province while Zhang Fei was drunk... the Three Kingdoms 2010 version is amazing though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ2_TUdsXVo&t=784s
Best part is 10 minutes later:

Chen Gong posted:

One, drunkenness is not allowed. Two, no temper tantrums. Three, no beating or castigating of soldiers. That [Zhang Fei] is really adorable, how terribly adorable! With one bowl of wine he violated all three rules, and lost the city to boot!
:allears:

Keep watching though and you'll see how often Liu Bei coerces his brothers with suicide threats. :stare:

Legend of Cao Cao Online? :eek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Chortles posted:

I'm guessing it's a phone game since it has Android and iOS on the bottom. I'm pretty sure there's already a Dynasty Warriors phone game that never made it outside of Japan.

I would probably spend a lot of time on a generic F2P phone game with Dynasty/Samurai Warriors dudes.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Policenaut posted:

Translated English details for RoTK 13 are out and it definitely sounds like an Officer game. You can read 4Gamer's article on Koei Tecmo's 30th anniversary event here, where it apparently mentions they've started on a new Dynasty Warriors game. Hachima's telling me it's a "new expansion" so KT might be trying something different with the series? Maybe we'll get a Chronicle game.

Sorry for the ignorance, but what is a "Chronicle" game? I'm familiar with main line DW and Xtreme Legends and am not sure what Chronicle means here.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'd really love for a sort of Gundam themed Empires myself. Not sure that will happen though.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Lotish posted:

Sorry for the ignorance, but what is a "Chronicle" game? I'm familiar with main line DW and Xtreme Legends and am not sure what Chronicle means here.

Samurai Warriors has a portable offshoot called Chronicles, which is like a custom scenario where you create your own character and wander Japan doing battle, making friends, finding weapons, and so on. It's sort of like a halfway meeting of Warriors gameplay and RoTK Officer-style freeroaming, but so far only Samurai Warriors has gotten the Chronicles treatment. You can find original in English for the 3DS, the 3DS-sequel never got localized, and the third game was released on both 3DS and Vita but supposedly the Vita version is coming overseas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-pAIf7bZzw

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
For me the cool part of Chronicles is being able to swap between officers mid-battle and not like Orochi where you're all the dudes at once but having dudes on different side of the map doing different things and having to bounce around as objectives pop up.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Belzac posted:

For me the cool part of Chronicles is being able to swap between officers mid-battle and not like Orochi where you're all the dudes at once but having dudes on different side of the map doing different things and having to bounce around as objectives pop up.

It was such a good idea that they incorporated it into Samurai Warriors 4. Curious what the new Chronicles will bring to the table since a lot of its ideas got put into SW4.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Belzac posted:

Ya'll keep saying SW3 spin-offs when you know SW3 came out on Wii.

The 3DS version of Chronicle 3 is getting a western release too. :v:

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

Chortles posted:

Legend of Cao Cao was amazing. I really hope they revisit that series, and I pray for an English release!

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Brony Hunter posted:

Legend of Cao Cao was amazing. I really hope they revisit that series, and I pray for an English release!
I played that, and I believe both Legend of Heroes (Liu Bei) and Legend of Kongming (Zhuge Liang) as a wee lil' goon... :swoon:

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Chortles posted:

I played that, and I believe both Legend of Heroes (Liu Bei) and Legend of Kongming (Zhuge Liang) as a wee lil' goon... :swoon:

Nice. I believe only Legend of Cao Cao got a fantranslation, and I played the HELL out of that English patch. I believe there were also "Legend" games about Oda Nobunaga and Mori Motonari. To be honest I'd also love a Legend of Wu, but Wu always gets neglected by Koei...

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'd really love for a sort of Gundam themed Empires myself. Not sure that will happen though.

I want Warriors Orochi: Empires, where the united Earth forces combine to conquer all of time and space :black101:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Samurai Warriors 4-II and Chronicles 3 are both coming overseas. 4-II will be coming to PC, PS3, PS4, and Vita this October while Chronicles 3 will be coming to both 3DS and Vita next month. I assume that Chronicles 3's sudden release date means it's a digital-only release.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Have they mentioned price for SW 4-II yet because I'm not keen on paying a lot for an expansion you can't even plug in to the full game.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Brony Hunter posted:

Nice. I believe only Legend of Cao Cao got a fantranslation, and I played the HELL out of that English patch. I believe there were also "Legend" games about Oda Nobunaga and Mori Motonari. To be honest I'd also love a Legend of Wu, but Wu always gets neglected by Koei...
Yeah Motonari and Nobunaga also got their own Legend games, rounding out the series. On the other hand, my still favorite "Officer"-based game of all of Koei's: Taikō Risshiden V :swoon:

Oh, and don't blame Koei -- Wu gets neglected, period, by almost everything that isn't Kōtetsu Sangokushi or The Ravages of Time (albeit that's just been wrapping up Chibi).

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Chortles posted:

Yeah Motonari and Nobunaga also got their own Legend games, rounding out the series. On the other hand, my still favorite "Officer"-based game of all of Koei's: Taikō Risshiden V :swoon:

Oh, and don't blame Koei -- Wu gets neglected, period, by almost everything that isn't Kōtetsu Sangokushi or The Ravages of Time (albeit that's just been wrapping up Chibi).

Oh yes, I know very well of Wu's pop culture neglect. To be honest I blame the Romance for making them the third wheel - Wu actually has a very fascinating history with some remarkable figures. The period after Sun Quan's death has some of the most convoluted and interesting political intrigue I've ever read about.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Requesting more Wu history lessons. This stuff is always so fascinating to me.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Chortles posted:

On the other hand, my still favorite "Officer"-based game of all of Koei's: Taikō Risshiden V :swoon:

Taikō Risshiden V is goddamn amazing and it's a shame it never got localized over here.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Airspace posted:

Taikō Risshiden V is goddamn amazing and it's a shame it never got localized over here.
I still have PC savegames for it! I don't remember though, did it get a fan translation patch like Brony Hunter mentioned about Legend of Cao Cao?

Brony Hunter posted:

Oh yes, I know very well of Wu's pop culture neglect. To be honest I blame the Romance for making them the third wheel - Wu actually has a very fascinating history with some remarkable figures. The period after Sun Quan's death has some of the most convoluted and interesting political intrigue I've ever read about.
To some degree you can blame this on a mix of the novel's Shu bias -- at least that's the only way to explain its focus on Jiang Wei's nine failed invasions after Zhuge Liang's death, the last of which was the year before Shu's fall -- and even Three Kingdoms 2010 basically writes Wu out of the story after Wu is convinced (by Ma Su in the show) not to join in marching against Shu, at that point the story becoming pure Shu vs. Wei. Then again, I suppose it's harder in Koei's mind to make a big Wu backstory out of "Sun Quan went all Aerys II"...

I'd also point to the fact that Wei and Wu never really made territorial headway against each other for decades until Jin forces marched on Wu in the last years of the period (which got a throwaway mention in the DW7 Jin ending) during the terminal decline under one of Sun Quan's grandsons.

Let me add though that Wu gets major time in Ravages of Time to the point that Sun Ce ended up getting his own accompanying novel (albeit one which piles on the daddy problems even higher):

Chortles fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 20, 2015

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

I dunno, Wu and Wei fought a LOT of battles that don't really get shown in games or any other media. As you said, the novel does skip over Wu after a while to focus on Shu. Historically, Wu and Wei fought each other much more often than Wei and Shu, and although there were minimal territorial changes, Wei certainly considered Wu a bigger threat than Shu.

Even Jin didn't immediately conquer Wu. There was a long campaign in Jiaozhou that served as the prelude to the main invasion, and interestingly you had former Shu generals and soldiers fighting Wu in that region under the Jin banner. Then there was the protracted stand off between Yang Hu and Lu Kang, a rather fascinating story of two enemy commanders whose mutual respect eventually became genuine friendship.

It's also pretty criminal in my mind that much of early Wu also tends to be glossed over. I'll never understand why Koei tends to shove Sun Ce's entire 6 years of campaigning into one or maybe two stages.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
BLAST has a good bunch of post Quan Wu peeps as officer cards and I'm sad they will never show up in a main game.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

The GIG posted:

BLAST has a good bunch of post Quan Wu peeps as officer cards and I'm sad they will never show up in a main game.

I know, right? Sun Luban would be AMAZING in a Dynasty Warriors game :smith: She's probably my favourite female figure from the time period.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Brony Hunter posted:

I know, right? Sun Luban would be AMAZING in a Dynasty Warriors game :smith: She's probably my favourite female figure from the time period.

Only thing that worries me about her is that Blast has her and her sister as the next generation Qiaos in style, and I don't doubt that if they did show up they would have Luban turn on her, but I don't trust Omega Force enough to either go with an actually fitting design or have her be written well enough to give her actions some Omph and not have it just be lacking. I think they really should take some cues from Samurai Warriors' story if they want to get more in the story in the future.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Brony Hunter posted:

I dunno, Wu and Wei fought a LOT of battles that don't really get shown in games or any other media. As you said, the novel does skip over Wu after a while to focus on Shu. Historically, Wu and Wei fought each other much more often than Wei and Shu, and although there were minimal territorial changes, Wei certainly considered Wu a bigger threat than Shu.
Aye, but I confess that I'm not sure how I'd write a story around "Sun Quan went Aerys II minus the wildfire", nor on "Wei considered Wu a bigger threat than Shu" despite basically ending up with status quo ante bellum outcomes for most of the period with the "Yangtze" River (Chang Jiang in Chinese and in DW) as the rough border, whereas Koei (probably following on the book's heels) found a way to write up -- and focus DW7's Jin plot around -- the intra-Wei intrigues that led to Jin.

Brony Hunter posted:

Even Jin didn't immediately conquer Wu. There was a long campaign in Jiaozhou that served as the prelude to the main invasion, and interestingly you had former Shu generals and soldiers fighting Wu in that region under the Jin banner. Then there was the protracted stand off between Yang Hu and Lu Kang, a rather fascinating story of two enemy commanders whose mutual respect eventually became genuine friendship.
You could get at least one stage out of that, generally, but with Koei's habit of 'compacting' that you mention it'd basically be wrapped up in a single Jin-vs-Wu stage at most.

Brony Hunter posted:

It's also pretty criminal in my mind that much of early Wu also tends to be glossed over. I'll never understand why Koei tends to shove Sun Ce's entire 6 years of campaigning into one or maybe two stages.
I suppose it's easier because so much of his early campaigning is against relative-mooks who're mainly known for "got beat by Sun Ce" -- though Ravages of Time made even the early Wu years awesome -- whereas Sun Quan's time had Chibi, Hefei, Fan Castle, and Yiling, all against Wei and Shu.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Chortles posted:

I still have PC savegames for it! I don't remember though, did it get a fan translation patch like Brony Hunter mentioned about Legend of Cao Cao?

Not that I'm aware of. I've kicked around the idea of translating it, but it would be 'barely above Google Translate' level of English. Also I have the PSP version, the text sometimes looks like a blurry mess.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Maleketh posted:

They use existing stages but they're generally very good. Keiji's Theme and Speed is of the Essence are two of the best DLC stages I've ever played.

Jibo posted:

They use existing levels but they are pretty fun in my opinion. I don't remember what the price for all the stage DLC is but you get a lot of stages, I want to say around the same amount as there are regular story levels.

Thanks for the recommendations, I did end up getting the DLC stages and the Gauntlet Mode expansion. I got the game on sale for half off, but I guess Koei got their $50 out of me anyway :v: I like that they include 60 new soundtracks, that's a nice bonus and makes the 2 track "soundtrack pack" look like a huge rip off. In fact 90% of the DLC for this game is rip off, so many dumb costume packs and avatars, who buys this crap?

I will say the stage packs are pretty good deal, about as many stages as you would expect out of an Xtreme Legends, and they are all fairly unique. Normally I wouldn't go in for DLCs but WO3 scratches the same itch as Dynasty Warriors, Diablo, and Marvel vs Capcom, so it has made me slightly addicted. I love that the duel mode gives you lots of growth points and crystals for the regular game, it lets me justify playing it so often. Every mode unlocks stuff in the other modes; so not only is there tons to do but you always feel like you are advancing your character no matter what mode you are playing. I just wish there was an Empire Mode and a Create-a-Warrior Mode, then this would be the perfect Warriors game.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Rutibex posted:

I just wish there was an Empire Mode and a Create-a-Warrior Mode, then this would be the perfect Warriors game.

I cannot imagine getting around to leveling a CAW with a roster that big.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Maleketh posted:

I cannot imagine getting around to leveling a CAW with a roster that big.

A single CAW? I think you mean five! :black101:

Mostly it would be for making officers to populate the Empire Mode. I would like to play DW8: Empires, but it doesn't have "Floating Mirrors and Tree Branches" or "Large Jug Filled with odd liquid" weapon styles to make characters from. I don't want to go back to "sword", or "spear", or "different shaped sword", I won't do it! :colbert:
On a side note, why is Diamondback not playable, Koei? They let you play as the other monster guys, and Diamondback is in tons of missions and even has lines in a few cut scenes! He is hardly a generic character.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I whipped up over four dozen CAWs in DW8E solely for the purpose of seeing them run around in the game.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I whipped up over four dozen CAWs in DW8E solely for the purpose of seeing them run around in the game.

I only made 1, but stole a lot of the more realistic ones other people had made (mostly women, to add some diversity to the cast).

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Airspace posted:

Not that I'm aware of. I've kicked around the idea of translating it, but it would be 'barely above Google Translate' level of English. Also I have the PSP version, the text sometimes looks like a blurry mess.
Dammit... thankfully when I played it I could read enough traditional Chinese to get the gist of stuff, and now I'm listening to the OST all over again. :allears::swoon:

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Chortles posted:

Dammit... thankfully when I played it I could read enough traditional Chinese to get the gist of stuff, and now I'm listening to the OST all over again. :allears::swoon:

Hell yes. I still have a save made specifically for the purpose of listening to the, uh, 'have a castle but not be independent' theme on repeat. (here)

I want to at least write a guide for this game, but there's still so much I don't know how to do.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Benchmark tool for the Bladestorm Nightmare PC release.

And a trailer of Samurai Warrior Chronicles 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMk7N3xpX_Q

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 28, 2015

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Lotish posted:

Benchmark tool for the Bladestorm Nightmare PC release.

And a trailer of Samurai Warrior Chronicles 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMk7N3xpX_Q

I always get bummed when I see a Samurai Warriors trailer without some kind of PC branding. It's my favorite Koei series and I haven't been able to play it since Magoichi Saika died at the end of his own goddamn story in SW2.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

The White Dragon posted:

I always get bummed when I see a Samurai Warriors trailer without some kind of PC branding. It's my favorite Koei series and I haven't been able to play it since Magoichi Saika died at the end of his own goddamn story in SW2.

Samurai Warriors 4-II (Yes that's a thing) will supposedly have a PC release when it comes out in English.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

i know this doesn't help, but magoichi is a real charming guy in sw4

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

The White Dragon posted:

I just loved how Omega Force used to go completely off the loving rails with some characters in 2. Kotaro Fuma becoming shadow-shogun and then just bugging out because he was bored will always be my favorite scenario. :allears:

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I'm surprised we're getting this one, we didn't even get Chronicles 2. Not that I'm complaining, Chronicles 1 was awesome.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Chronicles 2 was just 1 was some extra bits so that's probably why they didn't bother. Though it didn't stop them releasing Toukiden Kiwami I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Toukiden Kiwami was on PS4 which never had the game beforehand (and the Vita version came along for the ride) so I guess KT thought it'd be good for that reason.