Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sleeveless posted:

If you want to go to the trouble to dig up the Infinite spoiler/mock thread from the time of the game's release you'll see that literally everything I said is 100% factual.

Nobody does want to go to the trouble, so we will just call you a liar instead.

*rides away on the Zelda cycle*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

this theory just got destroyed or as you gamers would say owned

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Stux posted:

wind waker is also trash

You might have a case to make if you're referencing the original gamecube version. I mean they even packaged a free and much better game with it as an incentive to buy it.

However the HD remake fixed all the gameplay issues with it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

The Taint Reaper posted:

You might have a case to make if you're referencing the original gamecube version. I mean they even packaged a free and much better game with it as an incentive to buy it.

Hoiwveer the HD remake fixed all the gameplay issues with it.

no all versions of it, because its a dumb cartoon game for kids and all dumb cartoon games for kids are trash

deBlob is the onyl exception to this.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I made it to the final interview stages for a job that would have been a pretty great promotion but did not get the job, and have been comforting myself by playing Tiny Tower, in which you mash your fingers into your phone to makes numbers go up and experience the good brain chemical.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

I made it to the final interview stages for a job that would have been a pretty great promotion but did not get the job, and have been comforting myself by playing Tiny Tower, in which you mash your fingers into your phone to makes numbers go up and experience the good brain chemical.

i read that clickhole article too

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Stux posted:

i read that clickhole article too

i only saw the headline, but often that is the best part, except with stuff like Which of My Garbage Sons are You

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

i only saw the headline, but often that is the best part, except with stuff like Which of My Garbage Sons are You
You need to be reading their Oral Histories series. They're all amazing.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Fact: Bioshock was good and fun. Fact: Bioshock Infinite was also good and fun. Fact: I can't complain about weird people who don't play something also claiming it is bad because I still maintain Titanic the movie is 3 hours of horseshit despite never watching it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

bloodychill posted:

Fact: Bioshock was good and fun. Fact: Bioshock Infinite was also good and fun. Fact: I can't complain about weird people who don't play something also claiming it is bad because I still maintain Titanic the movie is 3 hours of horseshit despite never watching it.

bioshock infinite wasnt fun, nor was it good. at all. you are dead inside if you believe it is. namaste.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

FactsAreUseless posted:

You need to be reading their Oral Histories series. They're all amazing.

The Clickventures are FTW.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Just play System Shock 2 instead, it's still fun warts and all.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Bioshock Infinite was alright. It was neither great nor trash. A totally mediocre game with a few fun moments here and there. I enjoyed it a bit while playing but then promptly forgot about it after beating it. Hope this helps.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

stux got some good pwns in on games posters today but ww is actually very good and BSI is not.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I said come in! posted:

Those people are weirdo's. Bioshock Infinite was a real good game.

eh. it was alright at best. the gameplay was mediocre, i didn't use 3/4 of the power ups or guns, and the story was just sort of OK. i played it like a year after the hype train had passed when it was free for PS+ and no way would i have paid more than $15 for it, if i even bought it at all

mind you i really liked the first Bioshock

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Like all the *shock games, it's a story-driven shooter so it's really going to hang on how much you enjoy the story. I'd take 1 over Infinite but Infinite far over 2.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Bioshock 1 has some real flaws but drat did it ever just click with me. Like I know it ain't perfect but I pretty much enjoyed everything about it, even the hacking minigames.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 20, 2015

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Accordion Man posted:

Bioshock 1 has some real flaws but drat did it ever just click with me. Like I know it ain't perfect but I pretty enjoyed everything about it, even the hacking minigames.

for me it just clicked back into its case forever after a few hours

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Bioshock lost me in the opening where you're handed shock powers and there are fish flopping about in a puddle of water and you couldn't fry the fish.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I said come in! posted:

Right now I think it's game of the year. The quests are fantastic and a huge step up in quality from most RPGs.

The battle system and Geralt moving like the centenarian that he is are big drawbacks, though.

Dunno about the PC version, but it's pissing me off on PS4, especially after having played through the actual goty Bloodborne.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

I couldn't get into Bioshock 1's theme, aesthetic, or what I was introduced to of its story when I rented it.

I played through Bioshock Infinite up to the last level. It was on the low side of mediocre. The whole floating city thing and graphics were great. Colombia was neat for the first 5 minutes because I was like "...I'm going to be force-baptised in a videogame."

I don't think any of them hold a candle to System Shock 2, which I am sure has aged horribly but blew my teenage mind. For me it was a very intense game. I think I wasn't able to finish it and quit right around where you go into the second ship.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

bloodychill posted:

Like all the *shock games, it's a story-driven shooter so it's really going to hang on how much you enjoy the story. I'd take 1 over Infinite but Infinite far over 2.

I don't understand the attitude towards 2. Especially this statement. Infinite is a retread of 2's story concept, with a wacky ending hamm fisted onto the end. It was also Bioshock 1 with better gameplay and actual investment in character building.

Infinite is easily the worst just because the mandatory lovely combat is longer due to more bullet spongy enemies.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I liked 2 because it saved the good levels for the end, instead of the other Shock games' habit of saving the worst levels for the end

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

Bioshock Infinite was a scheme to make Ken Levine's virtual girlfriend, we know this because the game ends with his fetish.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the worst crime infinite commits is that it's storyline is nonsensical based around both the real world concepts it draws from as well as its own internal logic. the entire ending literally makes no sense at all and it's trash.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Bioshock Infinite is a game that matters.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The best shooter of the last five years is Call of Duty: Black Ops II and hell, I'm looking forward to Black Ops III.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Bioshock Infinite is a game about a guy accepting responsibility for his actions and not about dimensional travel or politics but it is executed incredibly weirdly and sloppily

It's probably the most interesting Bioshock game if only because of how weird and sloppy it is but from my perspective "the best Bioshock" isn't saying a whole lot because the first one that people love so much is a textbook example of a game posturing at being profound in the least subtle way possible and everything after the Andrew Ryan reveal is loving terrible mechanically and conceptually

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Bioshock Infinite is a game about a guy accepting responsibility for his actions and not about dimensional travel or politics but it is executed incredibly weirdly and sloppily

It's probably the most interesting Bioshock game if only because of how weird and sloppy it is but from my perspective "the best Bioshock" isn't saying a whole lot because the first one that people love so much is a textbook example of a game posturing at being profound in the least subtle way possible and everything after the Andrew Ryan reveal is loving terrible mechanically and conceptually

Zombie Downfalled again!!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
How can an RPG be GOTY or even "good" if the combat is universally agreed upon to be "bad"? :confused:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Honestly when Bloodborne is in the mix, I can't see any other game as goty.

So I liked the "dude takes responsibility for his actions in crazy scifi setting" thing from infinite and the "libertarian paradise falls apart because people are awful" thing from the first. The meta player thing was neat too. It did fall apart pretty quickly after that though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"I play RPGs for the story" is the new "I read Playboy for the articles" itt

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

precision posted:

How can an RPG be GOTY or even "good" if the combat is universally agreed upon to be "bad"? :confused:

I don't think the combat (in Witcher 3) is bad at all tho! It just has some out of combat issues, like looting or moving around in tight spaces. Geralts giants swords and :dong: compensate for his inability to move around well. Those swords hit everything, plus auto-lock on does wonders.

After thinking about it a bit more though this afternoon, Mortal Kombat X might end up being my game of the year, but I haven't played Persona 5 or the Phantom Pain yet.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

bloodychill posted:

Honestly when Bloodborne is in the mix, I can't see any other game as goty.

Bloodborne is crazy good

I said come in! posted:

I haven't played Persona 5

I assume the answer is "no" but have they said anything about it coming out in English before the end of the year

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The combat in Witcher 3 is fun and much better than both of the preceding games.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Accordion Man posted:

The combat in Witcher 3 is fun and much better than both of the preceding games.

seems pretty close to 2 though.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Real hurthling! posted:

seems pretty close to 2 though.
It just feels better to me. I definitely like the changes they made with stuff like potions and bombs.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

precision posted:

Because RPG combat is supposed to be bad.

I'm only half-kidding there, traditional stats/dice-based RPG combat is something that translates poorly to video games, especially ones that "look like" action games. See: Every attempt at an "FPSRPG" like, ever. Who likes the combat in Deus Ex?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah tabletop RPGs get away with having bad, weird, or inconsistent rules via the assumption that you have a referee sitting at the table who can make on-the-fly rules adjustments, overrule the dice to compensate for absurd strings of good or bad luck, and tell people deliberately breaking the system and screwing things up for everyone else to gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's not really that, it's more that video games (specifically action games which Witcher/TES/FPSRPGs superficially resemble) are skill-based, and marrying skill-based gameplay to stat-based gameplay is contentious. Like, an FPS is asking "are you good enough to mouse over this moving enemy and shoot him", while an RPG is asking "did you roll a high enough number to hit the enemy". Mix these together and you get poo poo like Morrowind.

• Locked thread