Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
I've found that Amazon seems to work way better than Adsense even though I'm generally speaking poorly of the products I link to (skeptic blog). That 24 hour affiliate cookie is a powerful thing. If you can get people to go to Amazon, Amazon is good at getting them to buy something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Royal Jeans
May 12, 2012

Pierce and Pierce posted:

I can't really comment on other networks, but yes $20 for 20k visitors is very low.

Where do you have your ads placed? In-content ads perform MUCH better than just placing them in your header and sidebar, for example.

Long term though, you should probably look at selling actual products. You can link to products in your niche on Amazon or other stores without getting spammy.

I should have clarified my intentions with ads a bit more vs other incomes. I do make the majority of my blog income through affiliate sales - mostly amazon (but also sharesale & commission junction) by doing reviews & linking to relevant products. I've been seeing those sales rise steadily as I increase my pageviews and rank for more keywords in google. Things seem to be going well so far as affiliate sales are concerned.

I only have one adsense ad set to display text & images and it's on the bottom of my right sidebar ( i know, i know...) because I really dislike ads in posts. I think you answered my question already by asking one simple question.

If I wanted to make more than just a few cents here and there via ads I'm going to have to place them in my actual content, right?

If that's the case I'm completely fine with doing the affiliate sales as I've been doing, I was just wondering how these people were making so much from advertising alone. If it means putting multiple ads in my articles I think I'll pass - as it stands one little ad covers all of my hosting expenses per month and I'm fine with that.

And I'm in the process of writing my first ebook as another possible source of income; we'll see how that goes.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
Just think of how many ads you fat finger when reading something on your phone while scrolling.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
I'm having a hard time figuring out how I can monetize with anything else except for adsense on my new blog.

I've got 5k visitors after 1 month and see nothing but an increase as time goes on. I don't want to rely only on Adsense but I can't seem to figure out any other way to advertise.

My blog is a city-based current events blog. Any ideas?

Royal Jeans
May 12, 2012

KetTarma posted:

Just think of how many ads you fat finger when reading something on your phone while scrolling.

Precisely why I don't want to put them in my blog.. But perhaps the exact reason I should.

Speaking of mobile sites you know what else is mega awesome - when there's a popup blocking everything and no easy way to scroll around or close it.

Royal Jeans fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 2, 2015

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
I have an ebook up on amazon now. Any suggestions for how to push visitors towards it? I already pushed it on my email list, but am looking for ways to get new visitors to purchase it. Right now all I have is a link to it's Amazon page at the bottom of one of my top posts.

The recent google update was very kind to my website, now number two for my main keyword and pulling in some decent traffic despite taking down most of my content and publishing it into the ebook. Now it's time to rebuild content and focus on getting out a second ebook.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Moniker posted:

I'm having a hard time figuring out how I can monetize with anything else except for adsense on my new blog.

I've got 5k visitors after 1 month and see nothing but an increase as time goes on. I don't want to rely only on Adsense but I can't seem to figure out any other way to advertise.

My blog is a city-based current events blog. Any ideas?

Reach out to businesses in your city, show them your traffic numbers, sell ad space.

Reach out to event promoters in your city, show them your traffic numbers, sell ad space.

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009
I wanted to see if you guys had any advice on my website. I followed all of the advice in the first post and my website has been long in the making, but it's finished, and now I just update it once a week. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. It is a crazy niche website that is all about music and phonetics.

Name: MussoliniB
Link: http://www.languagepunk.net
Subject: Language/Music/General Interest

snagger
Aug 14, 2004

MussoliniB posted:

Wow, that *is* niche. Who's this for, music students? If so and if you're interested in revenue, I'm piloting an affiliate program for my online music school. Aside from that, maybe you could get some amazon affiliate dollars for linking to textbooks on the subject?

Royal Jeans
May 12, 2012

MussoliniB posted:

I wanted to see if you guys had any advice on my website. I followed all of the advice in the first post and my website has been long in the making, but it's finished, and now I just update it once a week. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. It is a crazy niche website that is all about music and phonetics.

I like the minimalist layout - one thing I would consider is choosing to show an excerpt w/the feature image centered from the posts rather than the full view. I'd also consider adding a tagline under your title - something short/sweet that tells people what your site is about.

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009
Anyone know of a preferably free pop up wordpress plugin that you can configure to say 'Hi you like this stuff, subscribe by putting your email details here etc etc' with the forms in the pop up?

I'm using WP Popups which links up Facebook, Twitter and Google+ via shortcode but I can't figure how to add subscribe forms, just like the ones on the sidebar. Cheers.

P.s Finally reached enough adsense revenue to get a second payout at the end of the month. A big thanks to the poster who suggested ads in the middle. I'm up to $266 now after years of ranting, I'm ballin! :cheers:

snagger
Aug 14, 2004

Camo Guitar posted:

Anyone know of a preferably free pop up wordpress plugin that you can configure to say 'Hi you like this stuff, subscribe by putting your email details here etc etc' with the forms in the pop up?

I'm using WP Popups which links up Facebook, Twitter and Google+ via shortcode but I can't figure how to add subscribe forms, just like the ones on the sidebar. Cheers.

P.s Finally reached enough adsense revenue to get a second payout at the end of the month. A big thanks to the poster who suggested ads in the middle. I'm up to $266 now after years of ranting, I'm ballin! :cheers:

Congrats on the adsense payout! I used to use OptinMonster for exactly this but they just switched to a very expensive SaaS model.

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009

snagger posted:

Wow, that *is* niche. Who's this for, music students? If so and if you're interested in revenue, I'm piloting an affiliate program for my online music school. Aside from that, maybe you could get some amazon affiliate dollars for linking to textbooks on the subject?

Very niche. It's aimed at anyone that likes odd music and wants to get to know newer/weirder bands, people that like language of phonetics (mostly linguists). I'm actually going to school to get my Master's in Speech Pathology, so it appeals to us too.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Camo Guitar posted:

I like this one. Free version only allows for 1 popup, but it's the best I've found for a simplistic solution similar to what you're asking about.

Royal Jeans
May 12, 2012
I made a compromise when it comes to placing ads; and really it makes me wonder why the hell it took so long to do this....

I decided to place ads into my top performing organic search posts; by just placing one responsive ad at the very end of my posts just above the related posts I've doubled my adsense revenue. It's only been a few weeks so there's some more testing to be done but I'm quite happy with those results so far. Part of my aversion to ads came from having adblock myself and not realizing how many ads really are all over the place on most sites. Disabling it and taking a look at some other blogs was quite a shock.

And because I'm not smart when it comes to coding I installed a plugin that lets me place ads via shortcode. Probably not the best option but I wanted to be able to control where they end up on single posts and that seemed to be the easiest way.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Camo Guitar posted:

I use ITRO popup, it's probably one of the better of the free options. If you're looking for a simple mailing list popup it will do just fine.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/itro-popup/

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

FCKGW posted:

I use ITRO popup, it's probably one of the better of the free options. If you're looking for a simple mailing list popup it will do just fine.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/itro-popup/

Look up sumome. good stuff.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo
http://sumome.com/ is the correct answer for free. OptinMonster is solid as LeadBoxes (by LeadPages) in the paid arena. At the really high end you're looking at solutions like Bounce Exchange.

mcsuede fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 30, 2015

Royal Jeans
May 12, 2012
Getting on the radar of a popular FB page can result in this. First time I've had something gain traction on FB so far. I wish I had some good advice to go along but it was one of my older articles that as far as I knew no one ever read. On Monday it'll be one year since I started this blog and I'm really loving it. Sure it's not making me rich but having a creative outlet is awesome.

On another note I feel really bad for not attending a blogging conference I was invited to. Anyone have any experience with going to blogging events?

Royal Jeans fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 4, 2015

Hyvok
Mar 30, 2010
I've had someone contact me from "Ginger media" about running an ad campaign. Is this legit or a sometype of scam? The company seems legit, can't find too much info on it though.

"Our network specializes in performance marketing, running mainly, app installs, software downloads, call centers for tech support. Things like that." Sounds kinda bad though? Wonder what they mean...

They suggest running a test for 4-5 days as a secondary revenue mechanism as to not lose any money.

Interested to hear any thoughts.

snagger
Aug 14, 2004

Hyvok posted:

I've had someone contact me from "Ginger media" about running an ad campaign. Is this legit or a sometype of scam? The company seems legit, can't find too much info on it though.

"Our network specializes in performance marketing, running mainly, app installs, software downloads, call centers for tech support. Things like that." Sounds kinda bad though? Wonder what they mean...

They suggest running a test for 4-5 days as a secondary revenue mechanism as to not lose any money.

Interested to hear any thoughts.

Sounds like you got cold called by a marketing firm. If you want to spend money to have someone run ads on your behalf, there's no shortage of firms out there who would love to take your money.

Hyvok
Mar 30, 2010

snagger posted:

Sounds like you got cold called by a marketing firm. If you want to spend money to have someone run ads on your behalf, there's no shortage of firms out there who would love to take your money.

Sorry, I was probably unclear; They want to run ads on my site and I get 70% of the profit.

Robot Arms
Sep 19, 2008

R!
Yes, and there are a ton of companies that do that. They all promise to make you more money than you'll make from AdSense. Maybe it's actually true. In any case, it doesn't hurt to look around a bit, find one that looks like a good fit, and give it a try.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

I've been running a niche hobby blog (coin collecting) for a couple of years now, and would like to explore the possibility of putting together an ebook from the blog articles I've written. Is there anything I should keep in mind when adapting my articles to an ebook? Any great guides for writing an ebook?

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
You should already have an idea of how readers will respond to your content. The bigger focus should be on buying/creating a professional cover and writing a good description.

grenada fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 18, 2015

Royal Jeans
May 12, 2012
Quick Tip: I started using Coschedule's headline analyzer a few months back and the results have been pretty awesome. Any titles I have with a score of 75 or above get a ton more action than the norm.

http://coschedule.com/headline-analyzer

bug chaser chaser
Dec 11, 2006

Haven't seen any discussion on this, but if you have decent traffic you can make good money from native ads.

There is:
https://www.revcontent.com/
http://www.taboola.com/
http://www.outbrain.com/
http://www.adblade.com/

They'll all pay you per click, which could be good based on your volume. Another easy way to get some revenue is to put some overlay units on your site, some of which might pay you around $10 CPMs but that means your visitors will be hit with a 15-30 second overlay video ad that they might not be able to skip immediately. Though you could manage these things to only pop on certain pages so it's not as intrusive. http://www.genesismedia.com/ is a good one for that.

On the other hand you can also pay those native ad companies to run your ads, but you will pay anywhere from 0.05 at the beginning of the month / quarter to 0.15 a click at the end of the month / quarter. So you might be able to make a profit doing that, but I'm not sure how Google would view this if you're using AdSense.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

How do I become an Amazon affiliate for my webpage and what are the minimum requirements?

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

How do I become an Amazon affiliate for my webpage and what are the minimum requirements?

I think you just need to sign up. I can't remember if there are any requirements but it's all on their website : https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Ah, okay. Now I am signed up but I need to wrestle with the widget set-up. Thanks for the link. :)

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Ah, okay. Now I am signed up but I need to wrestle with the widget set-up. Thanks for the link. :)

stick with text links. amazon's widgets suck.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

Royal Jeans posted:

Quick Tip: I started using Coschedule's headline analyzer a few months back and the results have been pretty awesome. Any titles I have with a score of 75 or above get a ton more action than the norm.

http://coschedule.com/headline-analyzer

Coschedule is an awesome tool, but if you want to get really serious about optimizing your posts look into http://www.inboundwriter.com/.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
Hi, I'm new to this and still trying to plan things out before buying anything.

My only question so far regards keywords: it looks like I can't use Google AdWords or any of the other keyword-searching programs until I've actually bought a website domain. Is there any way around this, or do I just need to make the leap?

Royal Jeans
May 12, 2012

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Hi, I'm new to this and still trying to plan things out before buying anything.

My only question so far regards keywords: it looks like I can't use Google AdWords or any of the other keyword-searching programs until I've actually bought a website domain. Is there any way around this, or do I just need to make the leap?

I think when I started using Google Adwords I just used my google account, I don't remember having to tie a domain to it. (there is the option to include your domain but I I've used the keyword planner without it) I found these guides really useful when diving into adwords http://backlinko.com/google-keyword-planner & http://www.searchenginejournal.com/definitive-guide-using-googles-keyword-planner-tool-keyword-research/69655/

Are you just looking for keyword ideas at the moment?

Royal Jeans fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 26, 2015

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
I am just looking for keyword ideas, yeah. Potential themes at the moment would be: Story-telling (Via novels, movies, television, video games, anime, etc.), my journey of writing a novel, and philosophy.

Google Adsense insists that I either have a website or start up a Google blog. Is there another program I can use at the moment, or should I just make a junk blog I won't be using?

Royal Jeans
May 12, 2012

The Unholy Ghost posted:

I am just looking for keyword ideas, yeah. Potential themes at the moment would be: Story-telling (Via novels, movies, television, video games, anime, etc.), my journey of writing a novel, and philosophy.

Google Adsense insists that I either have a website or start up a Google blog. Is there another program I can use at the moment, or should I just make a junk blog I won't be using?

Google Adsense is for setting up ads for sites, Google Adwords is a separate program for searching keywords; which one are trying to use?

To use Adwords I thought you only needed a google account or gmail address. Does this tutorial help? http://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-Google-Adwords-Account

There's plenty of free keyword idea tools (http://keywordtool.io/), not sure exactly what you're looking for.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Name: Solitair
Link: http://www.screenburntheblog.com
Subject: Books/TV/Entertainment

I've been running this blog for over a year, and recently made my hundredth post, and now I think I should take a break to work on the site and look into how I can turn a profit off of it. I'm not great at coding, website design, or especially promoting my stuff. So I have multiple questions to ask.

DESIGN: I picked the Wordpress theme I was most comfortable with (out of the free ones), but other than that I think this looks a bit plain. I would like to make a customized banner or other art to put on the site, but I don't know how to make that happen on Wordpress. I'm also wondering what else I need to put on the page in order to make it more memorable or help promote it. The site's pretty bare bones right now, but I don't know which widgets will make a difference.

ADVERTISING: I thought that Google Adsense was the way to go, but reading the first page of this thread makes me think I've chosen the wrong hosting for that. Screen Burn is on a domain that I'm paying for, but it's still based out of Wordpress.com, which might not allow for Adsense. If that's the case, then what options do I have? Is there a way for me to move the blog and all of its contents to a new host that would let me put ads on more easily?

If Adsense is okay, how do I post the code for the ad on the page like the Adsense site wants me to? I don't know whether to put the code in the source code for the main page or the individual posts, the tutorial for putting code in is referring to something on the Chrome browser menu that isn't there, and when I use Ctrl+U to bring it up, the <body> heading I'm told to search for isn't there, either.

PROMOTION: This is the area I know the least about. A friend of mine who's managed to make this blogging gig work for him (I'd link his site, but it's down at the moment.) recommended that I frequent sci-fi and fantasy forums like Spacebattles to drum up interest. The problem is, I generally stick to a few forums at a time, two or three at most, to see what I'm comfortable with reading. So far this one's winning out, but I haven't tried to promote myself here because I heard this place takes a very dim view to those sorts of shenanigans. There are several ways I think I can go, but I don't know where to start.

There's also the matter of networking. I have one or two blogs to link to when I get that feature on the site, but if there's any trick to finding related blogs or forums on the subjects I'm covering (So far I have been reviewing old Doctor Who serials and books I read, and provide commentary on certain books I read through in greater detail, with one detour to cover this year's Hugo Awards.), I don't know it yet. There probably isn't an easy solution to this, but I wanted to make sure.

I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask any of these questions.

Royal Jeans
May 12, 2012

Solitair posted:

Name: Solitair
Link: http://www.screenburntheblog.com
Subject: Books/TV/Entertainment

I've been running this blog for over a year, and recently made my hundredth post, and now I think I should take a break to work on the site and look into how I can turn a profit off of it. I'm not great at coding, website design, or especially promoting my stuff. So I have multiple questions to ask.

DESIGN: I picked the Wordpress theme I was most comfortable with (out of the free ones), but other than that I think this looks a bit plain. I would like to make a customized banner or other art to put on the site, but I don't know how to make that happen on Wordpress. I'm also wondering what else I need to put on the page in order to make it more memorable or help promote it. The site's pretty bare bones right now, but I don't know which widgets will make a difference.

ADVERTISING: I thought that Google Adsense was the way to go, but reading the first page of this thread makes me think I've chosen the wrong hosting for that. Screen Burn is on a domain that I'm paying for, but it's still based out of Wordpress.com, which might not allow for Adsense. If that's the case, then what options do I have? Is there a way for me to move the blog and all of its contents to a new host that would let me put ads on more easily?

If Adsense is okay, how do I post the code for the ad on the page like the Adsense site wants me to? I don't know whether to put the code in the source code for the main page or the individual posts, the tutorial for putting code in is referring to something on the Chrome browser menu that isn't there, and when I use Ctrl+U to bring it up, the <body> heading I'm told to search for isn't there, either.

PROMOTION: This is the area I know the least about. A friend of mine who's managed to make this blogging gig work for him (I'd link his site, but it's down at the moment.) recommended that I frequent sci-fi and fantasy forums like Spacebattles to drum up interest. The problem is, I generally stick to a few forums at a time, two or three at most, to see what I'm comfortable with reading. So far this one's winning out, but I haven't tried to promote myself here because I heard this place takes a very dim view to those sorts of shenanigans. There are several ways I think I can go, but I don't know where to start.

There's also the matter of networking. I have one or two blogs to link to when I get that feature on the site, but if there's any trick to finding related blogs or forums on the subjects I'm covering (So far I have been reviewing old Doctor Who serials and books I read, and provide commentary on certain books I read through in greater detail, with one detour to cover this year's Hugo Awards.), I don't know it yet. There probably isn't an easy solution to this, but I wanted to make sure.

I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask any of these questions.

Hey newish blogging buddy - I just celebrated a year this Summer with my blog (http://www.puppyleaks.com ) as well, and it's been a hell of a learning curve for sure.

As far as the design yours does seem a bit minimal (I'd at least add 1 photo to each post if possible), though I'm not sure you're really looking for. I'd just start browsing through https://theme.wordpress.com/themes/sort/free/ to see all of the free themes available. If you're looking for a theme you can customize more go back up to that link & start filtering by features; you're looking for one with the site logo option I'm assuming. I don't know anything about the theme you're using but if you have one that allows a header image or logo it's usually an option under customize (and it'll usually tell you what size will work best). You could also use wpsniffer.com to sort through free themes & see live sites that use them, but that can become tedious.

And when it comes to making images I can't recommend Canva.com enough - I've created every single blog image/ad/pin with it for free.

I don't know the technicalities of whether you can use Adsense or not - honestly I just assumed if you bought a domain/hosting you could - but I could be completely wrong. If you can use Adsense you can either plug the code into a text widget OR there's a really nice plugin called WP Simple Adsense Insertion that I use. You input your ads into it & then can place them anywhere you want via shortcode or functions. If you're not familiar with coding I'd probably get that plugin (https://wordpress.org/plugins/wordpress-plugin-for-simple-google-adsense-insertion/) & just use the shortcode option in your posts. (and a permanent one somewhere on your main site maybe?)

On first glance I'm sure there's a lot of affiliate potential with your subject matter - so might want to look into becoming an amazon affiliate or check into sites like shareasale & commission junction that offer affiliate programs.

As far as promotion goes it probably varies a lot by niche; I'd try to figure out where similar minded folk hang out (twitter/facebook/medium/pinterest/forums) & go from there. Google communities & facebook groups in your niche can also be nice places to hang out - you can see where those people are hanging out/what they're reading/etc. For more social media/networking stuff check out https://blog.bufferapp.com/ , http://www.razorsocial.com/blog/ , & http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/ for hours & hours of posts about promotion.

As far as finding similar blogs try bloglovin.com or feedly.com (you'll also likely find a lot mentioned in facebook groups & google communities in your genre/niche)

Royal Jeans fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 14, 2015

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Royal Jeans posted:

I don't know the technicalities of whether you can use Adsense or not - honestly I just assumed if you bought a domain/hosting you could - but I could be completely wrong. If you can use Adsense you can either plug the code into a text widget OR there's a really nice plugin called WP Simple Adsense Insertion that I use. You input your ads into it & then can place them anywhere you want via shortcode or functions. If you're not familiar with coding I'd probably get that plugin (https://wordpress.org/plugins/wordpress-plugin-for-simple-google-adsense-insertion/) & just use the shortcode option in your posts. (and a permanent one somewhere on your main site maybe?)

On first glance I'm sure there's a lot of affiliate potential with your subject matter - so might want to look into becoming an amazon affiliate or check into sites like shareasale & commission junction that offer affiliate programs.

It looks like I might have to move from Wordpress.com to Wordpress.org in order to actually make money. The former, as far as I can tell, allows for almost no advertising. Adsense is right out, and what they have instead, WordAds, isn't accepting new applications (and I don't think my traffic is high enough to meet their approval anyway). I thought I saw an option available that allows for some affiliate activity on some pages I looked at, but I'm not sure if this is any harder to make work than what you're recommending. They say I have to write my own sponsored posts and that I can't just paste content from the sponsor on, but I was planning on doing that anyway, though if I don't actually like the book I'm being asked to advertise I'm not sure if they'll accept anything less than breathless enthusiasm.

The main thing keeping me from moving to .org is that I don't know if I'm ready for any increased costs for my own independent hosting, or any of the upkeep/backup/maintenance work that I'll have to do now that Wordpress itself isn't keeping track of. Right now I'm only paying a yearly fee of about $17 for the right to have my own domain name that goes to .com instead of .wordpress.com. I don't know what exactly I'd have to do that I'm not already doing, most of which is tweaking my posts, editing for typos, and making sure that all of the pages available in the menu at the top of the page have updated links for easy access. I've also gotten accustomed to the UI on the site (the old one with a menu at the site more than the new one), especially in how it allows me to schedule updates for a specific time instead of just publishing immediately, and the ability to save drafts. Do those features come with the Wordpress program you use to run a .org site, or do you have to have plugins to make them work?

I don't know if my current traffic should factor into this decision. This blog has been running for almost thirteen months, and has about 1,400 views in total (I'm assuming that the views statistic is more important than the visitors one.). In the last twelve months, the average views are around 114, though this was skewed up by views in May reaching 344 thanks to File770 linking my first post on the Hugo awards. But I haven't gone below 77 views in a full month and I have 14 followers, so I've improved my traffic, however slightly.

I guess right now the most important question, aside from "should I move to .org and when," is whether I should put more priority on monetizing my site or increasing traffic right now. I'm going to keep making new posts in the meantime.

Links I found comparing the two options: http://www.wpbeginner.com/beginners-guide/self-hosted-wordpress-org-vs-free-wordpress-com-infograph/?display=wide

Solitair fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Oct 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Royal Jeans
May 12, 2012

Solitair posted:

I guess right now the most important question, aside from "should I move to .org and when," is whether I should put more priority on monetizing my site or increasing traffic right now. I'm going to keep making new posts in the meantime.

Adsense alone would be a pretty "bad" way to monetize alone; as in you'll be making pennies. So if that were the reason you're considering moving over to your own hosting I wouldn't bother. I think my first few months with Adsense I'd be excited if I broke a dollar or two. My site isn't optimized for ads but even with 3k visitors I'm lucky if I hit $5 a day. I've had way more success being an amazon affiliate as far as the monetization goes. From what I can tell with wordpress.com you can insert text affiliate links from amazon into your posts or wherever - but can't use any banners or widgets.

It's been awhile since I've used wordpress.com but I think the dashboard/UI is pretty much the same/or similar - you can save drafts & schedule stuff with plugins. The maintenance side of things never seemed very burdensome. As far as hosting goes I know some plans give you the domain registration for free - but I think the lowest per month cost for hosting is $2 or $3 a month.

I know a few people on blogspot (another free blogging platform) that have a great audience and are making money from sponsored posts. So I know it can be done, it's probably just a matter of whether stuff like that interests you at all & how serious you are about your blog.

As far as traffic v monetization I wish I knew. I spent my first year working on nothing but getting traffic - but then I had no idea what to do with it once I got it as far as monetizing it goes. I don't sell my own products, I don't want to do sponsored content so I'm left with affiliate income & ad revenue. So yeah I guess it makes more than it costs to run at this point but if my main goal had been to make money from the beginning I would have started with a completely different approach. Something along the lines of build up a loyal following who will buy your awesome books/product/etc - something all those smart business people understand that I don't. Here's a great read about traffic http://www.blogtyrant.com/get-more-traffic/

Royal Jeans fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Oct 14, 2015

• Locked thread