Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Update on the possible position switch. Apparently my request to our PM to help me transition to the virtualization position worked out, but it also had the effect of annoying the flight lead overseeing the department the position is in. Apparently my employer, the prime on the contract, has decided that they will likely retain me and just take the position for themselves, taking that position away from the sub that the flight lead works for (and for whom he is the company lead on this contract). It's by no means a done deal, and there are still things like the timeframe that needs to be hashed out, but the team lead is pushing hard for it (I started out working on his team and we have a good relationship) and even came over to tell me he wants me moved asap. I pointed at the flight lead's door and told him to go bitch and light a fire under someone's rear end. I also mentioned that I too wanted the move done fast, since in 2 weeks my team goes to 3rd shift on the weekends and I'd just as soon avoid that.

I was asked to not go over to the dark side by a co-worker who does ESIs (Electronic Storage of Information investigation requests) since I am one of 3 people who knows how to do them now and we get 5-10 a week, and they take a full day just to do one. I promised him that I would likely not get off that easy and would still have to help out, so no worries.

I still have another virtualization position I'm waiting to hear about at Langley AFB in Virginia, and if they do offer me the position then I might have a tough decision to make, especially if they refuse to increase my pay over what I'm currently making. The position is a long-term contract with lots of good experience, but not getting paid more will hurt. But I'd be in a position that has at most maybe 6 months left. Plus my goal is to head down to Tampa, FL to finally settle down. So many things to consider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Start going through the SharePoint cert, labs and apply.

SharePoint isn't bad it's just incredibly complex and you need to know your poo poo. If you're good you'll drown in a pile of money.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Re: Sharepoint - do everything by the book, follow every MS best practice, accept no substitutions. Anything less leads to poor documentation of Weird Custom poo poo, which will break the entire implementation down the road.

Ask me how I know this

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

siggy2021 posted:

I was just handed a wiki page on Sharepoint and a powerpoint from some company about SharePoint, told to learn it and that we would be deploying it/utilizing it sometime in the future and I would be the point person on it, and if I needed any books they would be purchased for me.

Any recommendations?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yep. That's the best advice for a Sharepoint admin.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
Unfortunately going out and getting another job at this point isn't an option. I somehow managed to stumble into an IT job at the mid-sized company I work for with no college education, no certs, and no background.

So far I'm doing well and the CIO loves me. I'm on track to get free certs, basically have the go-ahead to learn anything I want that we can use, and it's all really good and I feel really lucky.

So I have to learn SharePoint. Although after talks with the number 2 guy about it that might be getting shut down so we'll see.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

siggy2021 posted:

Unfortunately going out and getting another job at this point isn't an option. I somehow managed to stumble into an IT job at the mid-sized company I work for with no college education, no certs, and no background.

So far I'm doing well and the CIO loves me. I'm on track to get free certs, basically have the go-ahead to learn anything I want that we can use, and it's all really good and I feel really lucky.

So I have to learn SharePoint. Although after talks with the number 2 guy about it that might be getting shut down so we'll see.

You know the best way to make sure a project goes really well, make someone who knows little about the technology lead the project.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
Yeah, I'm not going to lie, this company is kind of hosed up like that. So far I've been handling everything really well, though, and I've already learned a ton of poo poo.

Sometimes I worry the CIO has too much faith in me, but he's also super cool and doesn't expect you to get everything right off the bat and will give you the resources you need to learn what you need.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

siggy2021 posted:

Yeah, I'm not going to lie, this company is kind of hosed up like that. So far I've been handling everything really well, though, and I've already learned a ton of poo poo.

Sometimes I worry the CIO has too much faith in me, but he's also super cool and doesn't expect you to get everything right off the bat and will give you the resources you need to learn what you need.

That's really cool. My boss is the same way and drat is it nice. I learn best by baptism by fire so dumping me into a situation like that would be fun.

Kid A
Jul 27, 2003

O Captain! My Part Time
Alternate Captain!

siggy2021 posted:

I'm pretty much in the same boat. Our Director built a SharePoint farm then handed it over to me broken with a ton of errors that I didn't know how to fix. After spending a week on it (while also doing my actual job), I talked him into letting me blow it away and start over. I built the new farm once then I rebuilt it using PowerShell when possible (learning PS as I go). I'm using this book: http://amzn.com/1118495810 and some stuff from one of the author's blogs: http://www.toddklindt.com/blog. They've been pretty good resources.

I got word yesterday that I'm now the project manager and have to put together a governance team. :ohdear:

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

siggy2021 posted:

Out of curiosity, what version of SharePoint do you have to support?

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

Tailored Sauce posted:

Out of curiosity, what version of SharePoint do you have to support?

Looking through the paperwork and it doesn't say, but we don't actually have a license for anything yet so I'd imagine 2013.

I also just noticed that it looks like we are going through a vendor with install/support for it, so I would have guidance and help. Although in my short time I've already learned that vendors are mostly useless.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Colonial Air Force posted:

Also, don't gently caress around with taxes. You might hate them, you might be the Ron Paulest, Aynd Randest, most Libertarian of tax detesters, but the IRS will throw you in real prison.

And you won't be able to say "Well my employer was doing it!" because they don't care.

You still have tax prisons? What

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

siggy2021 posted:

I was just handed a wiki page on Sharepoint and a powerpoint from some company about SharePoint, told to learn it and that we would be deploying it/utilizing it sometime in the future and I would be the point person on it, and if I needed any books they would be purchased for me.

Any recommendations?

Are you hosting your own or going with something like office 365? Sharepoint is a complex product and it would be best to look at what your boss wants to accomplish with this long term.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Methanar posted:

You still have tax prisons? What

Uh, why wouldn't you go to prison for actively refusing to pay your taxes and actively refusing to sign up to a tax payment plan int he event that you legit can't afford to?

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

lampey posted:

Are you hosting your own or going with something like office 365? Sharepoint is a complex product and it would be best to look at what your boss wants to accomplish with this long term.

We are hosting it ourselves.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Nintendo Kid posted:

Uh, why wouldn't you go to prison for actively refusing to pay your taxes and actively refusing to sign up to a tax payment plan int he event that you legit can't afford to?

People in tax prison aren't generating income tax revenue.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 21, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Methanar posted:

People in tax prison aren't generating income tax revenue.

They weren't generating revenue in the first place, because they were criminally refusing to pay. Do you think they throw you in jail the day after tax day? Cuz what happens is that someone/some company refuses to do it for years, sometimes decades, and only after all sorts of chances to start paying back due to they go to jail over it or have the company taken over, to stop them from making money and not paying taxes on it.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I've had tax problems and my experience with the IRS was really positive. I just let them know what was going on, that I wanted to fix it and I didn't know how. They sent me everything I needed, I filled out the forms and then the problem went away. I probably made a ton of mistakes too, they don't give a crap unless you're trying to screw them.

Maybe this is going to sound hypocritical, like someone saying that the reason black people keep getting shot is that they were up to no good, but it seems like every time I hear someone complaining about the IRS, they're trying to do some amazingly sketchy tax poo poo, like writing off their entire life as a business expense.

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013

NZAmoeba posted:

ISP level networking is both very niche, but also very cool, so it's a tricky one to give advice on. My first full time job was on a helpdesk for an ISP's enterprise level product, that was essentially VPNs over an already private backbone network (separate from regular internet traffic). I also shared a floor with the Global Gateway people, and had to interact with them when problems looked like they stemmed from that area. One of the best things about the job was that everyone I was speaking to was also a tech, including the customers, so you would have very reasonable conversations *most* of the time.

I spun a year in that role into a network admin role in that same ISP's test lab, and I was able to spin the systems admin elements of that job into the operations role I have today, which has very little network stuff involved.

I'll reiterate that the backbone level infrastructure that makes the whole internet work is fascinating to me, but most of the people who'll ever need that knowledge work for ISPs, and ISPs aren't always the best employers (lots of outsourcing/downsizing etc). But if you get really good at it, you can end up like Sepist and make mad stacks of cash. It's not a dead end, there will likely be progression through your current employer available, but personally I feel "network only" jobs are becoming scarcer, so don't feel like you shouldn't have some grounding in other IT related fields.

Thanks for sharing, it's difficult to find someone that has any experience in the field as like you said; it's a niche field. You've quelled my fears a little bit.

I've given myself two years to finish my tertiary qualifications and get as many certs as I can related to networking and Sys admin. And then I'll try and get a transfer to an international role which will give me the opportunity to move around to different countries(which I like the idea of). Not being limited to just networking is probably the best idea as it'll enable me to dodge downsizing a little better.

Another large concern for me as well is getting experience in some of the more niche applications that are similar in function to what I'm using or ones that I've never used before. An example is that the entry level job I'm looking at uses TACACS but my current experience is Radius. I'm confident I can figure the applications out with ease but it still doesn't beat hands on experience. Is it something I could virtualize?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Methanar fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Aug 6, 2016

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I've taken up practicing juggling during conference calls.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

SaltLick posted:

I've taken up practicing juggling during conference calls.
I spent over $700 on iRacing content to give myself various distractions. I could know so much IT in the time I've spent on mute, driving a Lotus 79 around Donington Park.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Methanar posted:

I got to participate in my first conference call with a vendor today. After the first 5 minutes I opened up the calculator on my computer and typed 1+1 and then every time I heard the word solution I pressed =. It was 36 in a 35 minute call.

I felt important when people asked for my opinion :shobon:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Methanar posted:

I got to participate in my first conference call with a vendor today. After the first 5 minutes I opened up the calculator on my computer and typed 1+1 and then every time I heard the word solution I pressed =. It was 36 in a 35 minute call.

I felt important when people asked for my opinion :shobon:

Something similar happened today (what, a pointless meeting? How unusual!). Only I decided to enumerate how many 2003 servers we had left. Turns out we have 37 boxes about to lose support!

...don't ask how many 2000 Server machines we have left. :doom:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

OAquinas posted:

Something similar happened today (what, a pointless meeting? How unusual!). Only I decided to enumerate how many 2003 servers we had left. Turns out we have 37 boxes about to lose support!

Next pointless meeting: Googling for "nearest drive-through liquor store"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

They weren't generating revenue in the first place, because they were criminally refusing to pay. Do you think they throw you in jail the day after tax day? Cuz what happens is that someone/some company refuses to do it for years, sometimes decades, and only after all sorts of chances to start paying back due to they go to jail over it or have the company taken over, to stop them from making money and not paying taxes on it.

Even then, usually they'll garnish your wages. Unless you've been actively hiding a significant amount of income. They give serious side-eye to that.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

OAquinas posted:

We still have over 100 I think. But they are all 2003 not R2 so they are already out of support!

At least I get to drop the 3 Exchange 2003 servers this week. :getin:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone ever set up their phone system with a hybrid of both PRI and SIP? I'd like to make it so calls go out over VoIP, but if we ever suffer an internet outage, the call will persist and ring the office phone back through the PRI/PTSN. That's a thing right?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I've been at my new job for 2 weeks, I finally have a job I don't hate going into :toot:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Zero VGS posted:

Has anyone ever set up their phone system with a hybrid of both PRI and SIP? I'd like to make it so calls go out over VoIP, but if we ever suffer an internet outage, the call will persist and ring the office phone back through the PRI/PTSN. That's a thing right?

If you had a PRI, why on earth would you default to a sip call? Don't get me wrong, I like that route, but PRI is still the gold standard for quality etc.

You'd probably have to have a SIP provider that could do fail over forwarding to your PRI, which probably exists.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

OAquinas posted:

If I could actually reveal the numbers you would probably be terrified by the national security implications of how many 2003 servers are still in use in the USAF's SIPRnet. I also found out that rather than screw around with Windows 8 or 8.1 all our workstations are going to go straight to Windows 10 when it finally gets released. I probably won't be around by then, but it would be so fun to watch as they tried to get mission-critical applications working.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

Eonwe posted:

I've been at my new job for 2 weeks, I finally have a job I don't hate going into :toot:

Give it time! :)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Potato Alley posted:

If you had a PRI, why on earth would you default to a sip call? Don't get me wrong, I like that route, but PRI is still the gold standard for quality etc.

You'd probably have to have a SIP provider that could do fail over forwarding to your PRI, which probably exists.

I'm getting SIP quoted to me at half to a quarter of the cost of PRI, and we already have dual ISPs with a dual-wan router so the internet side of things is solid.

The PRI provider is willing to let me rent the PRI lines without minutes, paying just an overage rate if we use them. So I could use the cheap VoIP minutes and if a call were to fail it'd ring us on the PRI.

It might turn out to be a hassle but it could also give us more redundancy for less money so I'm definitely checking into it.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

siggy2021 posted:

Any recommendations?
Sorry I missed this post yesterday, don't laugh I built my career on SharePoint since its beginning. I now run a enterprise service for developing and hosting custom SharePoint solutions for our company. SharePoint is a huge business for Microsoft so it won't hurt you to learn the skills if it ties into your current job.

My first piece of advice is:

MJP posted:

Re: Sharepoint - do everything by the book, follow every MS best practice, accept no substitutions. Anything less leads to poor documentation of Weird Custom poo poo, which will break the entire implementation down the road.
They are there for a reason, don't ignore the recommendations. If your boss wants to cheap out and only give you one server to run SharePoint and SQL, run away. Follow what they say for scaling and resources and especially around setting up the SQL server. SharePoint can be a hog so don't share infrastructure with other systems if at all possible. Even though we build custom apps on top of SharePoint we follow Microsoft's best practices and have a governance plan for development.

The next item is to figure out your role. SharePoint is a big sprawling beast that covers hardware, OS, IIS, application layer, SQL, storage, networking, etc. Are you responsible for everything or just keeping SharePoint happy and healthy? We have DBA teams that manage our SQL so we don't need that expertise on our team which is good. We have a separate team that manages Active Directory which affects the UserProfile which is bad because our AD profiles are not great. If you have more freedom across those technologies at your company that's good but you'll also be doing more to keep this thing going.

Once you figure our your role you'll want to look for resources. There is a ton of free training and documentation for SharePoint out there if you search around Microsoft's website, TechNet, Channel 9, etc. If you live in around a major city there is usually a SharePoint User Group. There is also a Yammer network for O365 / SharePoint professionals. There used to be a SharePoint thread here in SH/SC but I think it died off, feel free to PM me if you have any questions and good luck.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Potato Alley posted:

SIP is 50% cheaper because it sounds terrible and will be not working most of the time.

EDIT; oh oh oh. So Paetec and Broadview used do to this thing with SIP, they'd sell you a SIP trunk so they could use that buzz word, but they'd actually drop off a Dynamic T1 and install an IAD that convert it to SIP. However, they'd also sell internet services on that same T1. They'd say the SIP trunk could do 25 concurrent calls, but that's impossible, because when you use a T1 for PRI service, you only get 23 channels max. Some of those channels were used for the data service (at a whopping 64k per channel). So first off, you could never have more than 23 calls up, assuming the PRI backend was configured to allow all 23 T1 channels to be used for voice, but then there'd be no channels for data, so it'd be useless as a data circuit, or it'd slow to a crawl (not that a T1 is fast, but 1.5M is decent enough for a small office to at least browse Facebook, when half of it's gone, it's noticeably slower.

It took me months of fighting with them to admit it and credit our clients back the bad charges.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 21, 2015

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

mayodreams posted:

We still have over 100 I think. But they are all 2003 not R2 so they are already out of support!

At least I get to drop the 3 Exchange 2003 servers this week. :getin:

I have a new client as of this week where the top level guys are running Windows 95, no joke. This is a healthcare broker, too. No HIPPA compliance or anything, they're just a lawsuit waiting to happen.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

metavisual posted:

Give it time! :)

oh I know things aren't always going to be perfect but

I was an office drone before, went back and finished a 2nd bachelors in IT so the job pays more, I have more freedom, I can do computer-y stuff instead of processing paperwork all day, I generally can leave when my shift is over and turn my brain off (unless there is a big thing like Office365 getting pushed out), I get a salary and if I go over 40 hours a week I get overtime no questions asked

whereas before I got paid half as much, routinely worked 60 hours with no additional pay, did stuff I hate more, and had to constantly check my email when I was off work

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Daylen Drazzi posted:

If I could actually reveal the numbers you would probably be terrified by the national security implications of how many 2003 servers are still in use in the USAF's SIPRnet. I also found out that rather than screw around with Windows 8 or 8.1 all our workstations are going to go straight to Windows 10 when it finally gets released. I probably won't be around by then, but it would be so fun to watch as they tried to get mission-critical applications working.

This is the recommended upgrade pathway for Windows, though. Windows 8.X was never really intended as a full replacement for 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

psydude posted:

This is the recommended upgrade pathway for Windows, though. Windows 8.X was never really intended as a full replacement for 7.

This is a weird backsplaination. Just because windows 10 is supported as direct upgrade from 7 and Microsoft has gone back to try to explain why businesses stuck on XP forever (then 7 forever), it doesn't mean 8.x wasn't intended to do some thing it clearly was intended to do.