Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Gothmog1065 posted:

Is there an easy way to get a copy of Lion? I have a customer's laptop whose repair partition somehow became corrupted and it won't allow me to reformat from the mac itself. Can I just go to the store, buy Lion for $20, burn the DVD and do it that way? Not really sure how Mac's licenses work.

Is it an old machine that can't run Yosemite for some reason?

I kept all the old OS X .dmg files around so I could make a USB out of any of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Is it an old machine that can't run Yosemite for some reason?

I kept all the old OS X .dmg files around so I could make a USB out of any of them.

It's an A 1278 with an i5 2.4ghz, 4GB ram, 500 GB HDD.

I'm not sure if it will run Yosemite or not. I just know Lion is old as balls, and they probably never updated because they didn't wanna pay.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Gothmog1065 posted:

I'm not sure if it will run Yosemite or not. I just know Lion is old as balls, and they probably never updated because they didn't wanna pay.
Haven't OS X updates been free since Lion?

You should update them to Yos anyway. It will be fine.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Gothmog1065 posted:

If it's an i5 it will run Yosemite no problem.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Haven't OS X updates been free since Lion?

You should update them to Yos anyway. It will be fine.

Nah, as recently as Mountain Lion (10.8.5) you had to pay on the CrApp Store.. Mavericks was the first "Oh what the hell" free upgrade.

BTW I know Coconut Battery used to get shat on a lot here, but the newest version now will give you the battery condition and free space of any iPhone/iPad you plug into the USB port. Pretty handy to know..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 14:24 on May 15, 2015

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Gothmog1065 posted:

I have a C2D Pro that runs Yosemite and isn't even the oldest model that can. Just install Yosemite, it's free for anything that can access the App Store.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

As a counterpoint, don't install Yosemite because the first thing your customer will say is "why does everything look weird" and the second thing will be blaming you for whatever goes wrong or works differently from how they remember it.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

TACD posted:

As a counterpoint, don't install Yosemite because the first thing your customer will say is "why does everything look weird" and the second thing will be blaming you for whatever goes wrong or works differently from how they remember it.
My boss whined for about a week straight after upgrading to iOS7 because it "messed up his phone" even though nothing was actually wrong.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Gothmog1065 posted:

Is there an easy way to get a copy of Lion? I have a customer's laptop whose repair partition somehow became corrupted and it won't allow me to reformat from the mac itself. Can I just go to the store, buy Lion for $20, burn the DVD and do it that way? Not really sure how Mac's licenses work.

Use OS X Recovery Drive Assistant to put a recovery partition on a external drive and then use Internet Recovery to download Lion:
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433?locale=en_US

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is anyone having trouble installing the newest Java updates? I keep getting prompted to download and install the update. I tell the popup to go ahead and download the update which it does, all 60mb of it, then -- nothing. The downloader just closes when it's finished and that's it.

I'm expecting some kind of window to open saying it's installed, so I can't really tell if it updated or not. I've seen this dialog box a few times the past month so I assume that nothing's getting updated, unless there have been like 4 java revisions in the last month.

Yos 10.10.3, Late 2012 Mac Mini.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Sigma posted:

Use OS X Recovery Drive Assistant to put a recovery partition on a external drive and then use Internet Recovery to download Lion:
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433?locale=en_US

If the machine supports internet recovery you can skip putting a recovery partition on the external. I think. Been a while but I remember doing it on a 2011 air with a completely empty internal drive (unpartioned) and no external.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there some sort of app or workaround that will let me play the audio from a Chromecast on the device I'm streaming from? An iPhone option would be good as well. It's really frustrating that I can't find a good way to watch stuff with headphones while using my Chromecast. It seems there are some options out there but everything I can find is for PC or Linux.

Yossarko
Jan 22, 2004

I'm new to mac (well, since 7 years ago). I find Yosemite really great, and am a huge fan of Safari, which I find really fast and beautiful (I dig the new slim clutter-free look).

I'm very disappointed in Mail though, which I find old almost out-of-place in Yosemite. It doesn't seem to have the same slick, slim, fast interface that Safari (or other native apps) have. Even the icon seems old and non-modern. Almost like a relic.

Is this app going to be updated anytime soon ? I'd like to use the native Mail app, as I've decided to go "all Apple" and use Safari, iCloud (Photos), I have an iPad and just ordered an iPhone 6 Plus. My thinking: try the native apps and reap the benefits of seamless integration and tight iCloud support.

Am I being weird or is Mail a little outdated ?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Well, you're not alone in hating Mail. Though fwiw I like it (except for that 1.5 year period where it had a zillion bugs with gmail. But even then I never found a satisfying alternative).

It doesn't look hugely different from the iPad version of Mail... Just make sure you haven't activated the legacy interface in the preferences! I don't know what it is you want different but I doubt Apple will give much more care who Mail any time soon.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 19, 2015

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I just switched to mac as well after ~5 years (I think Snow Leopard was the last OS X version I ran on an old first-gen Macbook) and I agree, the mail app is kind of a mess. I also discovered it really doesn't play that well with some aspects of Exchange; the other day I flagged what I thought was one singular e-mail in a thread and when I came into work today my outlook showed me that I had all ~50 e-mails in the thread (including sent mails) flagged individually.

It also eats up a ton of RAM, I have about 4-5gb of work e-mails (about 40,000 e-mails total) and until I upgraded my mini's ram to 8GB it would basically render the computer unusable whenever Mail was open.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
I have 27 GB of locally-stored mail, 8 GB in my primary Gmail-backed IMAP account, and 6 other IMAP accounts with less mail in them. It's been running for days and this is the RAM usage browsing my biggest folder (5,000 emails):

If I had a nickel for every client whose slow-rear end mail client had 60,000 unread + 25,000 read emails just in their inbox... I poo poo you not, I have one University of California client who came to me because the university's tech support refused to help him troubleshoot Thunderbird anymore, saying they'd never seen so much email in an account; they did generously up his mail quota to 100 GB though. (Solution: archive his older mail into year-based folders for him. Will he keep it up? No, I'm sure I'll have to do it again in five years.)

Edit: I have 0 Exchange accounts though, so I don't know how those affect the equation.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 19, 2015

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Yossarko posted:

I'm new to mac (well, since 7 years ago). I find Yosemite really great, and am a huge fan of Safari, which I find really fast and beautiful (I dig the new slim clutter-free look).

I'm very disappointed in Mail though, which I find old almost out-of-place in Yosemite. It doesn't seem to have the same slick, slim, fast interface that Safari (or other native apps) have. Even the icon seems old and non-modern. Almost like a relic.

Is this app going to be updated anytime soon ? I'd like to use the native Mail app, as I've decided to go "all Apple" and use Safari, iCloud (Photos), I have an iPad and just ordered an iPhone 6 Plus. My thinking: try the native apps and reap the benefits of seamless integration and tight iCloud support.

Am I being weird or is Mail a little outdated ?

Nah, I'm not a fan of mail either. I have used Airmail for quite a while and would definitely recommend it.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Choadmaster posted:

I have 27 GB of locally-stored mail, 8 GB in my primary Gmail-backed IMAP account, and 6 other IMAP accounts with less mail in them. It's been running for days and this is the RAM usage browsing my biggest folder (5,000 emails):

If I had a nickel for every client whose slow-rear end mail client had 60,000 unread + 25,000 read emails just in their inbox... I poo poo you not, I have one University of California client who came to me because the university's tech support refused to help him troubleshoot Thunderbird anymore, saying they'd never seen so much email in an account; they did generously up his mail quota to 100 GB though. (Solution: archive his older mail into year-based folders for him. Will he keep it up? No, I'm sure I'll have to do it again in five years.)

Edit: I have 0 Exchange accounts though, so I don't know how those affect the equation.

Yeah, I've got ~40,000 e-mails in exchange and although it's much better now that things have "settled" and everything's synced, just setting up my account was painful. I mean, I needed the upgrade to 8gb anyway but the computer ran mostly OK until I tried setting Mail up at which point it basically brought it to its knees. Even now if I've had a busy day (some days I get upwards of 100+ e-mails at work) the computer just lags like hell when syncing everything after I get home.

Mind you, I'm one of those terrible people with everything in my inbox, mainly because I use search almost exclusively to look stuff up and some days I'd spend longer sorting my inbox than I would actually working. I flag stuff pertaining to ongoing projects and search by client for anything else I need.

robodex fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 20, 2015

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004
I notice that when I have a lot of tabs open with Safari I often get high WindowServer cpu usage, would this occur with other browsers?

Also anyone use deluge or qbittorrent with a shitload of torrents that can comment on if they are better than transmission? I think the fact I'm using an external usb hard drive probably makes things much worse.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Duckman2008 posted:

Nah, I'm not a fan of mail either. I have used Airmail for quite a while and would definitely recommend it.

Works well for gmail, but is poo poo for iCloud accounts. Never did manage to get it to see the iCloud contact list.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Really minor question: I installed Xcode on a system that already had the command line tools installed, so I deleted the /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools folder as instructed on Apple's site. However, a command line tools update still shows up in the Updates tab in the App Store. Is there any way to hide or remove this?

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Also, I just noticed a cool feature in 10.10.3: if you're tethering off an iPhone, the Wifi menubar widget will show your network strength and battery life:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

surrender posted:

Also, I just noticed a cool feature in 10.10.3: if you're tethering off an iPhone, the Wifi menubar widget will show your network strength and battery life:

It does this even if you're not tethering, which is pretty cool :)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yep, over Bluetooth I think.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yep, over Bluetooth I think.

That's probably why I hadn't seen it until now! I usually tether off Wifi, so I turn off bluetooth on the phone to save battery life.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

surrender posted:

That's probably why I hadn't seen it until now! I usually tether off Wifi, so I turn off bluetooth on the phone to save battery life.

Do you have an older Mac? BT 4 is really low power stuff these days.

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
I did a thing and accidentially deleted my Desktop folder. I haven't restarted the computer. Can I just mkdir a new one? Do I need to give a new folder special permissions?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

surrender posted:

The most recent Bluetooth chipset takes up to 11 months to consume a 225mAh battery. An iPhone 6 battery is 1810mAh. (A MBP battery is >6000mAh.) You probably use more battery running the screen while you're turning Bluetooth off than the chip uses.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

gnrk posted:

I did a thing and accidentially deleted my Desktop folder. I haven't restarted the computer. Can I just mkdir a new one? Do I need to give a new folder special permissions?

Are you talking about the sidebar or the actual honest-to-god folder? If the second, did you empty your trash? Try putting it back. If not OS X should recreate a new one.

EDIT: Do you use Time Machine? You should be able to get it back that way also.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 20, 2015

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008

flosofl posted:

Are you talking about the sidebar or the actual honest-to-god folder? If the second, did you empty your trash? Try putting it back. If not OS X should recreate a new one.

EDIT: Do you use Time Machine? You should be able to get it back that way also.

It's a long and dumb story but I mounted something in ~/Desktop/ instead of ~/Desktop/folder/ and sudo was involved and now I don't have a readable Desktop folder. I don't have a Time Machine backup on me but I'm downloading the folder from BackBlaze. So, my question remains, can I mkdir a new one and does it need different permissions than a regular folder?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

gnrk posted:

It's a long and dumb story but I mounted something in ~/Desktop/ instead of ~/Desktop/folder/ and sudo was involved and now I don't have a readable Desktop folder. I don't have a Time Machine backup on me but I'm downloading the folder from BackBlaze. So, my question remains, can I mkdir a new one and does it need different permissions than a regular folder?

That I'm not sure. But you can probably delete it, log out and log back in to re-create, and then copy the files from the restore you're downloading over the newly re-created ~/Desktop. What does the Great and Powerful Goog say?

That being said, WHY ARE YOU KEEPING FILES ON THE DESKTOP? I'M SO TRIGGERED RIGHT NOW!

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

The Valuum posted:

I notice that when I have a lot of tabs open with Safari I often get high WindowServer cpu usage, would this occur with other browsers?

Window Server CPU use means Safari is drawing animations. Which implies a bunch of your tabs are doing that. Which implies you'd see this issue with any browser, unless your browsing habits change. (SA forums are bad for this due to our addiction to anim gifs)

Safari in Yosemite is pretty good about turning off tabs that are not visible, either because it's not the front tab in the current window or the whole window is hidden behind other windows (or in a different workspace). You can probably cut your safari induced CPU use nearly to zero by setting your default new tab to "blank" and making a blank tab in all your safari windows and keeping them with that tab in front unless you actually need one of that window's tabs. Handy if you want to maximize battery life without actually closing any windows.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

flosofl posted:

That being said, WHY ARE YOU KEEPING FILES ON THE DESKTOP? I'M SO TRIGGERED RIGHT NOW!

The desktop is a handy place to keep files because you can just drag things onto it to put them there, and you can browse there easily in any file picker dialog by pressing Cmd-D. Why are you spazzing out about keeping files in a place that is easy to access?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

cbirdsong posted:

The desktop is a handy place to keep files because you can just drag things onto it to put them there, and you can browse there easily in any file picker dialog by pressing Cmd-D. Why are you spazzing out about keeping files in a place that is easy to access?

Desktop is really handy for just grabbing text clippings to, etc. Super convenient. I try to clean it up once a month or so though, cause those Screen Shot PNGs sure do pile up when you're not looking.

My desktop is usually covered with windows so when I do end up doing the five-finger pinch-out I'm usually all "holy poo poo when did this happen :stonk:"

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

BobHoward posted:

Window Server CPU use means Safari is drawing animations. Which implies a bunch of your tabs are doing that. Which implies you'd see this issue with any browser, unless your browsing habits change. (SA forums are bad for this due to our addiction to anim gifs)

Safari in Yosemite is pretty good about turning off tabs that are not visible, either because it's not the front tab in the current window or the whole window is hidden behind other windows (or in a different workspace). You can probably cut your safari induced CPU use nearly to zero by setting your default new tab to "blank" and making a blank tab in all your safari windows and keeping them with that tab in front unless you actually need one of that window's tabs. Handy if you want to maximize battery life without actually closing any windows.

You can also use a Safari Extension called Ninja Kit which is a GreaseMonkey clone, then use the Something Awful Image Fixes to get everything as h.264 where available.

https://github.com/psychoticmeow/Something-Awful-Image-Fixes/releases/tag/v1.3.0

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Don't know if this is hardware or software. Now, randomly, Safari pages will halt for seconds at a time every five or six keypresses into a text entry box. Activity Monitor is inconclusive.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

cbirdsong posted:

For some reason it bothers me on OS X to have desktop stuff, but not on Windows.

I use the Downloads folder for dragging stuff to and from. It's already in the dock by default and I think it's faster to click the downloads thumbnail and move stuff to and from than to expose to the desktop and do the same. It also looks more tidy. :spergin:

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

tuyop posted:

I use the Downloads folder for dragging stuff to and from. It's already in the dock by default and I think it's faster to click the downloads thumbnail and move stuff to and from than to expose to the desktop and do the same. It also looks more tidy. :spergin:
Yeah, me too. It's really stupid though.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

I need some help with photos. I am trying to upload all my pics to iCloud and it has been stuck uploading for about 3 weeks now. I have rebooted the computer, repaired the photos library, turned iCloud photo library on and off in the preferences. This is only happening on my iMac. Photos from my 2x iPhones, 2x iPads, and my macbook pro all are uploading and downloading.

I have made sure that the iMac is not going to sleep and that it is not putting the HDD to sleep.

My iMac photo library is currently on a 2tb usb3 external drive. Formatted for HFS+ and set as my system photo library. It uploaded about 12k pictures but then stopped with no explanation.

If i look at my network usage, it is very low. Not what I would expect to see if it was actually trying to upload the remaining 54k pictures (usually under 1kbp/s when idle). I have purchased 1TB of iCloud storage and photos tells me that is double what I need to store my pictures.

I see others online having this issue, but none of their fixes seem to work with me. I was running 10.10.3 and have since updated to 10.10.4 beta hoping there might be a fix in included but still nothing.

Also, do I need to have "my photo stream" checked on my devices if they are all using the new iCloud photo sharing?

badjohny fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nope, Photo Stream is instead of iCloud photo sharing so one or the other.

As for your other problem, I've no idea.