Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
And here I was hoping the market was drying up for his sort of nonsense. Or, at the very least, that corporations were increasingly unwilling to pair their products with his programming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Maybe that Michael Savage guy. He's basically the same dude isn't he?
First off, he's already in his 70s and Rush will likely outlive him.

Second he turns off a lot of right-wingers because he's not afraid to slam just about every other conservative personality out there. Dude has an enormous chip on his shoulder and needs to constantly puff himself up while tearing everyone else down.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah lol no. You cannot go full1488 and then return.

True. A more realistic assessment would be that talk radio as a medium is slowly winding down. Paetronized Podcasts and Blogs are going to be where all the talk-radio-esque action will go. The real question is going to be if a dog-whistle will still be able to attract enough people to fund a media show when you have people screaming obscenities with a megaphone next to your attraction.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Maybe that Michael Savage guy. He's basically the same dude isn't he?

Savage hates Limbaugh, and pretty much everyone else in right wing media. He calls mainstream right wing media the "Rush Cartel" which includes Hannity, Levin, etc. Savage hates the GOP. He just hates liberals and dirty commies that much more. He's like Alex Jones kinda. He goes on Alex Jones' show now and then, and they agree with each other 90% of the time.

http://www.mofopolitics.com/2015/04/22/michael-savage-rush-limbaugh-owned-by-the-republican-party-such-a-lying-oaf/

I have no idea who would replace Rush for being a straight-up propagandist for the GOP, but yeah, maybe as traditional talk radio dies out, and Fox News watchers age and die off in ever increasing numbers, maybe we will see more of Alex Jones or people like Savage with his borderline fascist hate-radio.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I dunno if I'm uninformed or just representative of my generation, but I'm in my late 20s and literally don't know what station I'd lIsten to if I wanted to hear national talk radio like Rush Limbaugh. I know that a couple local rock stations syndicate a couple shithead right wing comedians out of I think Texas and I listen to a local black celebrity talk guy on the way to work, but other than that I assume it's all on AM or XM?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Republicans posted:

All he learned is which side his bread is buttered on.
Yeah, it's just the angle to take here and He only got the chance to take that angle because he was so stubborn in the first place. He's basically the exception that proves the rule if you use that phrase incorrectly like I do. Some folks society is just going to have to outlive.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Pharmaskittle posted:

I dunno if I'm uninformed or just representative of my generation, but I'm in my late 20s and literally don't know what station I'd lIsten to if I wanted to hear national talk radio like Rush Limbaugh. I know that a couple local rock stations syndicate a couple shithead right wing comedians out of I think Texas and I listen to a local black celebrity talk guy on the way to work, but other than that I assume it's all on AM or XM?

AM

Leftist talk radio is on FM :smug:

In five cities...

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Pharmaskittle posted:

In Tallahassee there's an FM station dedicated to right-wing talk. The corporate rock station plays a commercial where the announcer says that if you want to "stay informed tune to 100.7" without so much as hinting that it is pure-strain Beckian craziness. I'm guessing they're both owned by Clearwater?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Sir Tonk posted:

AM

Leftist talk radio is on FM :smug:

In five cities...

FM is where a lot of the JEEZUS chat occurs now.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Rush has no heir. Like others have said, with talk radio dying there will be no replacement. Doing what Rush does takes actual talent and most other Rush wannabees don't have any.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Pharmaskittle posted:

Used to be AM; the talk/news station I listen to when commuting (local news, so their views are oddly party-neutral and they stick to their own agenda) had Rush at one point. I think he moved from that station to a station called the Patriot, which was fantastic, since I no longer have to change my radio station during lunch.

It was hilarious to listen to him freak out over poo poo he had no idea about though, especially since one of my coworkers would unironically parrot his bullshit like it was some sort of revelation. Thankfully, he has since learned that a lot of those talking points are bullshit.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

pangstrom posted:

Yeah, it's just the angle to take here and He only got the chance to take that angle because he was so stubborn in the first place. He's basically the exception that proves the rule if you use that phrase incorrectly like I do. Some folks society is just going to have to outlive.

Listening to the guy over this whole poo poo show he seemed to be regurgitating the talking points he's been fed at the beginning and the combination of enough people explaining no, its your (R) state loving you over medicare(aid?) and the fact that pretty much only liberals, even though they were chastising him were the ones actually willing to help him seems to be bringing him slowly to the realization hes been fed bullshit and is changing his views. Yeah its gonna be with alot of still clinging to some beliefs and "Both sides suck" but nobody just does a 180 on their opinions overnight. Wasn't it Kentucky that had republicans literally crying once they realized after they signed up with the ACA they can actually see a doctor now and now supported it and democrats?

Or I'm just clinging to the idea that people can change to avoid drinking my liver into a rock hard lump.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

On the podcast, Best of the Left, there was a regular caller who slowly came to the realization he should be a liberal. It was a real sweet and frustrating journey, but I'm always :gbsmith: when I see one.

I guess what I'm saying is it can be done. Hell, I voted McCain in '08, but now I'm so far left I'm rooting for Bernie.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
I realized today that I am a leftist version of a Freeper. Minus the rage and the hate. I'm hoping for Bernie, but I'm fairly certain I'll be reluctantly voting for Hillary.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Someone in the GBS thread asked if Bernie was the Ron Paul of the left and I couldn't really think of a reason to say no to that, at least as far as his Internet appeal goes

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Taerkar posted:

FM is where a lot of the JEEZUS chat occurs now.

Isn't that because frequencies under a certain level are reserved for non-profit stations?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Toasticle posted:

Listening to the guy over this whole poo poo show he seemed to be regurgitating the talking points he's been fed at the beginning and the combination of enough people explaining no, its your (R) state loving you over medicare(aid?) and the fact that pretty much only liberals, even though they were chastising him were the ones actually willing to help him seems to be bringing him slowly to the realization hes been fed bullshit and is changing his views. Yeah its gonna be with alot of still clinging to some beliefs and "Both sides suck" but nobody just does a 180 on their opinions overnight. Wasn't it Kentucky that had republicans literally crying once they realized after they signed up with the ACA they can actually see a doctor now and now supported it and democrats?

Or I'm just clinging to the idea that people can change to avoid drinking my liver into a rock hard lump.
I'm not saying THAT GUY hasn't changed, he probably has, but by "exception proving the rule" I just mean the guy literally had to have his quality of life very-directly impacted by R policy (and his choices following that "logic" and also yeah some bad health choices), and when he tried to get help it came mostly from liberals, many of whom sent a compassionate mini-lecture along with the donation. So he changed his mind and/or tried to pay the donors "back" and/or just made what might be a better appeal for further donations. Really you probably couldn't engineer a better way to change somebody's stance if you tried.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Technical Analysis posted:

I realized today that I am a leftist version of a Freeper. Minus the rage and the hate. I'm hoping for Bernie, but I'm fairly certain I'll be reluctantly voting for Hillary.
Does Freep have an SA thread :ohdear:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

loquacius posted:

Someone in the GBS thread asked if Bernie was the Ron Paul of the left and I couldn't really think of a reason to say no to that, at least as far as his Internet appeal goes

Kinda, but without the ties to neo-Confederates and racist groups.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

loquacius posted:

Well, Ron Paul wasn't the Bernie Sanders of the Right. Ron Paul wasn't The Most Conservative candidate, he was a specific weird niche of the Republican Party. Ron Paul was literally booed on-stage during the primaries because some of his views weren't "conservative" enough.

Calling Bernie Sanders the Ron Paul of the left is a disservice to how unusual Ron Paul is.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Star Man posted:

Isn't that because frequencies under a certain level are reserved for non-profit stations?

No clue, around here I think the highest FM frequency a JEEZUS station uses is in the upper 90's.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Star Man posted:

I know 89.1 is the station that always fucks with my Sirius/XM signal around Columbus.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Star Man posted:

Pretty much, I think it's about 92 and below is for non-profit. There are a few exceptions though, as over here in Cincinnati, NKU's repeater is up at 105.7

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Star Man posted:

No, it's because it's way more common for the past like 15 years for something with a radio to only have an FM tuner. And it really doesn't save you any money to broadcast AM unless you're trying to cover hundreds of miles radius in no-population zones, so why wouldn't you do it on FM?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Nintendo Kid posted:

No, it's because it's way more common for the past like 15 years for something with a radio to only have an FM tuner. And it really doesn't save you any money to broadcast AM unless you're trying to cover hundreds of miles radius in no-population zones, so why wouldn't you do it on FM?

What? No. Everything I own with radio is AM and FM, including cars.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

big mean giraffe posted:

What? No. Everything I own with radio is AM and FM, including cars.

Cell phones, iPods, cheapy radios you get for a kid for like $2 at the 7-11. All things that tend to not include AM radio but often include FM.

Compare to the past where often FM radio as well as AM radio was an extra expense, and you'll see why so much stuff was on AM as late as the 80s, and why everyone's moving over to FM nowadays.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

pangstrom posted:

I'm not saying THAT GUY hasn't changed, he probably has, but by "exception proving the rule" I just mean the guy literally had to have his quality of life very-directly impacted by R policy (and his choices following that "logic" and also yeah some bad health choices), and when he tried to get help it came mostly from liberals, many of whom sent a compassionate mini-lecture along with the donation. So he changed his mind and/or tried to pay the donors "back" and/or just made what might be a better appeal for further donations. Really you probably couldn't engineer a better way to change somebody's stance if you tried.

What sucks is its pretty much the only way to change alot of peoples minds. Drug laws, healthcare, whatever. Until someone gets ground up in the system way too many refuse to consider the system is even flawed much less completely broken.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

quote:

Q: In the course of your meetings with the children, did either of them describe any incidents of domestic violence between their parents?

A: Yes.

Q: And who was that?

A: M. reported—having seeing an incident where I believe she said her dad was choking her mom or had his hands around her neck and dragged her down some stairs.

Q: And?

MR. CLAIR: Your Honor, to the extent that that incident as alleged may have predated the signing of the agreement.

THE COURT: Counsel. Counsel, she asked the question, we got the answer. Let’s move on.

quote:

A: Yes, I see it. Well, when I asked dad what he meant by going ballistic, he said that he would, quote, act like an idiot, close quote, which he can no longer do at his age or he can institute Plan B, which would be going out, hitting a tree or yelling and moaning. He said he worked hard to keep his emotions under control.

http://gawker.com/court-transcripts-bill-o-reilly-s-daughter-saw-him-ch-1704717356

AsInHowe fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 20, 2015

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Heh, the release of the transcripts is really gonna piss him off. Wonder if he'll even address it on his show.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

His job/future earnings not at all in danger though.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The party of family values

And yeah, I'm tempted to ask my parents what they think about this. I bet they won't give a poo poo. It's loving :ironicat: as hell, but I guess that's part of being a social conservative

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Star Man posted:

Religious organizations have been trying to buy any frequency they can get their hands on, be it the non-profit part of FM, or not. It's been quite annoying, as someone that has zero interest in hearing religious radio programming.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Rorus Raz posted:

And yeah, I'm tempted to ask my parents what they think about this. I bet they won't give a poo poo. It's loving :ironicat: as hell, but I guess that's part of being a social conservative

They'll just pretend they've always hated him despite continuing to watch him. I've had this kind of conversation with FNC-watching family. They'll go through nearly the entire host line-up, and it'll come down to them saying they really only like Chris Wallace, Greta Van Susteren, Dana Perino, Kimberly Guilfoyle, and Bob Beckel. They don't actually watch Chris Wallace's show, but they do watch the entirety of the FNC evening schedule.

The way FNC markets themselves is abusive. Viewers who watch it will often say they don't like it, but they refuse to change the channel. If they change the channel then they might see a piece about Obama that's not a hit piece, Morgan Freeman might mention the civil rights movement, or there might be a gay person shown to happily living their life. Fox is the only place they can be "free" to not interact with.. um... the majority of the rest of American culture after excluding bigoted white Republicans.

They're like agoraphobic when it comes to the media they consume. Their thinking has been so poisoned by partisan politics that they cannot view anything through an apolitical lens. My father once told me, "I'm really worried whether watching Doogie Howser with you when you were a kid might have messed you up. Turns out that guy's a queer. :smith:"

ErIog fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 21, 2015

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Rorus Raz posted:

Well if they're authoritarians like on freep they would probably accept his word over his daughter's even if he murdered her and was convicted in court. It would just be the fault of evil liberal jurors or judges in that case.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 21, 2015

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The hardcore conservatives already consider Fox News too liberal. Think about that.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Mercury_Storm posted:

Well if they're authoritarians like on freep they would probably accept his word over his daughter's even if he murdered her and was convicted in court. It would just be the fault of evil liberal jurors or judges in that case.

Actually they would withhold opinion on the matter until an excuse was manufactured by conservative media, which they would then mindlessly parrot.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ErIog posted:

They'll just pretend they've always hated him despite continuing to watch him. I've had this kind of conversation with FNC-watching family. They'll go through nearly the entire host line-up, and it'll come down to them saying they really only like Chris Wallace, Greta Van Susteren, Dana Perino, Kimberly Guilfoyle, and Bob Beckel. They don't actually watch Chris Wallace's show, but they do watch the entirety of the FNC evening schedule.

The way FNC markets themselves is abusive. Viewers who watch it will often say they don't like it, but they refuse to change the channel. If they change the channel then they might see a piece about Obama that's not a hit piece, Morgan Freeman might mention the civil rights movement, or there might be a gay person shown to happily living their life. Fox is the only place they can be "free" to not interact with.. um... the majority of the rest of American culture after excluding bigoted white Republicans.

They're like agoraphobic when it comes to the media they consume. Their thinking has been so poisoned by partisan politics that they cannot view anything through an apolitical lens. My father once told me, "I'm really worried whether watching Doogie Howser with you when you were a kid might have messed you up. Turns out that guy's a queer. :smith:"

Did it mess you up, though?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ErIog posted:

"Haha, yeah dad, I'm sure the show with the gay actor messed me up. Somehow that one gay guy in a television show had a lot more power to gently caress me up as a person despite about 80%- hell, probably more!- of the actors in other shows being straight! Oh, wait, you know what? I bet it was women instead! As we both know women- at least the straight ones, which are the only type of people we're comfortable with- like men. I might've been messed up by women and gays being attracted to men!"

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

"Haha, yeah dad, I'm sure the show with the gay actor messed me up. Somehow that one gay guy in a television show had a lot more power to gently caress me up as a person despite about 80%- hell, probably more!- of the actors in other shows being straight! Oh, wait, you know what? I bet it was women instead! As we both know women- at least the straight ones, which are the only type of people we're comfortable with- like men. I might've been messed up by women and gays being attracted to men!"

Truly, there is only one way to secure the future of Straight America: allow your sons to be raised by lesbian couples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

The Advocate.com posted:

Ted Cruz: Queries on Marriage Equality Show Media's 'Obsessed With Sex'
http://www.advocate.com/politics/politicians/2015/05/20/ted-cruz-queries-marriage-equality-show-medias-obsessed-sex

Republican presidential aspirant Ted Cruz claims those who question his stance on marriage equality are “obsessed with sex,” but perhaps he should take a look in the mirror.

Speaking to reporters in Beaumont, Texas, Tuesday, Cruz got a bit testy about queries regarding his opposition to marriage equality. “Is there something about the left — and I am going to put the media in this category — that is obsessed with sex?” he said, according to The Texas Tribune. “ISIS is executing homosexuals — you want to talk about gay rights? This week was a very bad week for gay rights because the expansion of ISIS, the expansion of radical, theocratic, Islamic zealots that crucify Christians, that behead children and that murder homosexuals — that ought to be concerning you far more than asking six questions all on the same topic.”

gently caress YOU! HOLY poo poo gently caress YOU!

"ISIS is killing gay people, why are you all concerned with Gay Marrige"

gently caress YOU! gently caress YOU gently caress YOU!

There is no Middle Finger big enough.