Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Seems a bit steep, when Gareth Bale got a bit of Charlie he barely missed any time at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Chris de Sperg posted:

Seems a bit steep, when Gareth Bale got a bit of Charlie he barely missed any time at all

lol

Seems odd a positive drug test would get Livermore 6 months and Rio Ferdinand got 8 for skipping the test entirely. Two years seems kinda nuts. I say 69 weeks

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

corn in the fridge posted:

The article says six months but on 5live they said he could be banned for two years

I've always thought that the penalty was two years, but when I did some googling apparently Mutu only got 7 months?

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
The punishment is longer so that guilty players don't just choose to miss the test instead of testing positive.

I wonder if we'll ever get to the truth of what happened with Rio...

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
recreational drugs and performance enhancing drugs are treated differently.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Do you think Hull will sue him to recoup the transfer fee? Or maybe even the PL TV money if they go down?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Two other players have failed out of competition drugs tests. Seems today is the day that the FA are announcing them all.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

serious gaylord posted:

Two other players have failed out of competition drugs tests. Seems today is the day that the FA are announcing them all.

Who else?

Edit: To answer my own question, Jose Baxter of Sheffield United and Aaron McCarey of Wolves. Both players deny it.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 17, 2015

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Well Aaron McCarey wasn't on drugs when he was on loan at York last season that's for loving sure.

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

Byolante posted:

you are right, an idiot diving through the air at a stationary player is the one doing the sensible thing.

just say he deserved it because he's an Arsenal player

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Pantsuit posted:

just say he deserved it because he's an Arsenal player

I thought that was just understood at this point

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

He was asking for it, shouldn't have been dressed like that

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Bogan Krkic posted:

He was asking for it, shouldn't have been dressed like that

if you didn't want to crash into a advertising hording you shouldn't have swan dived through the air near the sideline

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1656411337920885&id=1377345199160835&substory_index=0

next part in the Adebayor saga. He was threatened at knifepoint by his brother for money.

Usually I have no sympathy for problems of footballers but this guy's had it rough.

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

dex_sda posted:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1656411337920885&id=1377345199160835&substory_index=0

next part in the Adebayor saga. He was threatened at knifepoint by his brother for money.

Usually I have no sympathy for problems of footballers but this guy's had it rough.

so hosed up, makes you wonder if all his dips have been down to poo poo like this

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Interesting article about footballers who drop out of the game and into selling drugs:

http://www.vice.com/read/ex-footballer-drug-dealer-394

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/32807544

quote:

The final of the Coppa Italia Women has been cancelled after a football official allegedly referred to female players as a "bunch of lesbians".

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

The actual comment is funnier. The guy who said it is the president of Serie D, the top amateur league in Italy. It was during an official meeting of all the leagues and someone brought up budgeting for women's football to which he responded that the leagues needed to "stop wasting money on those four lesbians".

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
I think my favorite part is that someone actually wrote it down in the minutes

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Call me when he starts borrowing Kaka's old undershirts.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I'm shocked that he's still a virgin considering recently he's been opening his legs for anyone.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Shrapnig posted:

I'm shocked that he's still a virgin considering recently he's been opening his legs for anyone.

Yeah, everyone saw him get dicked by Suarez, so he's not fooling anybody.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Maxwell should go after Sunderland's Vergini next. Could be an easy sale.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January
Why hasn't anyone set up a dumb aimed at footballers spiritual thing preaching the cult of personality and the value of being a millionaire, seems like you could earn a lot of money suckering in stupid footballers

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

fat gay nonce posted:

Why hasn't anyone set up a dumb aimed at footballers spiritual thing preaching the cult of personality and the value of being a millionaire, seems like you could earn a lot of money suckering in stupid footballers

Looked up whether any footballers were scientologists and found this lol

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Global/Issues/2014/02/04/Marketing-and-Sponsorship/Adidas-Scientology.aspx

quote:

Football players who have a contract with adidas "are not allowed to be members of Scientology and spread the philosophy of its Founder L. Ron Hubbard," according to DER SPIEGEL.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
A corporation...being right?!?!

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Wouldn't be like Germans to have a thing about someone's religion...

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Nor Irish people

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
IIRC Sneijder is or at least was into some stupid quasi religious poo poo and the Dutch national team in general has had its brushes with stupid groupthink over family and health: new age mournings over dead kids, mass horse placenta treatements, everyone wearing the same faddish bracelets, quack faith healers going with them to tournaments, the works.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...
Glenn hoddle imo.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

imagine being insanely rich and adored as a sports super star in your country and choosing to wait... smh. what a waste. I'd have ran through half of brazil if i were in his shoes.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Germany basically considers Scientology an illegal cult so this is unsurprising.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

DrWrestling69 posted:

Glenn hoddle imo.

syringes of ephedrine isn't quack medicine

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

opus111 posted:

imagine being insanely rich and adored as a sports super star in your country and choosing to wait... smh. what a waste. I'd have ran through half of brazil if i were in his shoes.

he gay

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

vyelkin posted:

Germany basically considers Scientology an illegal cult so this is unsurprising.

a bit off topic but Going Clear was a really great movie and the germans have picked the right religion to ban this time imo

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

vyelkin posted:

It'd be nice if the rest of the world did so as well

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Soulex posted:

It'd be nice if the rest of the world did so as well

Australia tried to but ended up concluding that its a religion even if its a pack of charlattans pushing terrible messages.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Byolante posted:

Australia tried to but ended up concluding that its a religion even if its a pack of charlattans pushing terrible messages.

It's a religion the same way Jonestown was a religion and Adidas probably has clauses in their contracts saying "you won't join a suicide cult" as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Byolante posted:

Surely that's what led to them concluding that it's a religion?