Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Wait, there's weapon scaling? Fuuuck. I thought there was just weapon level-locking (which is fine, to a point).

Weapon scaling is never done well. Fuckin' Witcher. Comte. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, I think I need to turn the difficulty down. I've accomplished very little in the past three hours of play because most of it has been getting killed by random enemies because I got hit once and then got hit two more times while staggered. The early game is not fun for me on Blood and Broken Bones. Maybe I just need to adjust, but I have not had fun tonight.

Skuzal
Oct 21, 2008

Drifter posted:

Wait, there's weapon scaling? Fuuuck. I thought there was just weapon level-locking (which is fine, to a point).

Weapon scaling is never done well. Fuckin' Witcher. Comte. :mad:

Every single weapon I have ever gotten from a quest, I have also found a diagram for at the max level of the weapon. So while the one you get from the quest might not be full power, you can still make one that is.

Skuzal
Oct 21, 2008
edit is not quote.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

The Crooked Warden posted:

poo poo is hosed either way and innocents get hurt regardless; your choice will also influence the Bloody Baron questline resolution. If you side with the tree the witches turn BB's wife into a water hag and dude hangs himself. If you side with the witches she just goes nuts and there is the barest hint of resolution between father and daughter as BB sets off on a doomed quest to cure his wife's fried brain.

Yeah I went with The Crones. Sort of wish that choice had been one of the timed decisions - I find those are the best for making these type of choices.

Either way, I got paid.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

XenoCrab posted:

Was walking around in the Witcher 2 as clunky as this? I don't remember it being like this. Just like walking around and falling off everything or taking 2 extra steps past anything you want to loot is super annoying, not to mention the ridiculous turning radius when you're sprinting. I also really dislike how limited the vertical camera movement is. If I want to look straight down at Geralt's head I should be able to!

Other than that the game's great.

I would love an answer to this as well. I've only played for a few hours, but walking around is super frustrating and annoying. Geralt walks in a huge circle instead of turning around. It makes the controls feel awful, bad enough that I'm considering shelving the game for a while.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Thursday Next posted:

I would love an answer to this as well. I've only played for a few hours, but walking around is super frustrating and annoying. Geralt walks in a huge circle instead of turning around. It makes the controls feel awful, bad enough that I'm considering shelving the game for a while.
there is a certain smuggler's stash you will enjoy trying to get to one of the chests for about 5 minutes, waddling around as you try to find a way to get the activation to loot the goddamned thing to activate

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Geralt needs a new nickname. Very minor spoilers I guess? It's the first main mission questline.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ilifinicus posted:

there is a certain smuggler's stash you will enjoy trying to get to one of the chests for about 5 minutes, waddling around as you try to find a way to get the activation to loot the goddamned thing to activate

There are three loving movements we have for geralt, but none of them allows for even semi-precise movement. Witcher 2 had better walking and running modes.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~

crackton posted:

So I just killed Kiera Metz and Im just wondering if I'm gonna regret doing it?

I remember she had some potion that let you reassign your stat points and I didn't buy it cause I'm still very early on in the game. Basically that's mostly my concern, other than that she was being a real oval office.

I was able to persuade her to go to Kaer Morhen, the Witcher stronghold, and to peacefully had over Alexander's notes. What was she being cunty about?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Nuts and Gum posted:

I'm getting my rear end beat by these guys in the pub. Are you supposed to be able to bash a large group of people like the batman games? I'm hesitant to call the combat clunky because I'm hoping I just don't get it.

Axii? Axii is hilarious in some circumstances, but if you're fighting a large number of humanoids in close quarters, Aard is king.

Also: I am finding combat muuuuuuuuuuch easier now I've got to grips with dodging. Sidestepping out of the way of a drowner's lunge before pivoting and bisecting the motherfucker is super fun.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I upgraded my kaer mohren armor into a hunter's jacket or whatever. Did I gently caress up? It looks exactly the same and is still green, I think.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The key to combat is to learn to use the short dodge instead of rolling all over the place.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I think I need to turn the difficulty down. I've accomplished very little in the past three hours of play because most of it has been getting killed by random enemies because I got hit once and then got hit two more times while staggered. The early game is not fun for me on Blood and Broken Bones. Maybe I just need to adjust, but I have not had fun tonight.

When you're facing groups of mobs, use whatever you have at your disposal to CC or inflict AoE damage. It's really difficult to strictly rely on your melee abilities for greater than 2 opponents at a time. Throw bombs, cast igni, use Axii, whatever it takes. The patiently dodging (not rolling!) and strong attack tactic will only work if you aren't getting gangbanged by 3 attackers in sequence. I thought I could just Quen and melee without using consumables but nope!

Rolling around burns your stamina and frequently puts you just outside of attack range. You have a very limited window to strike without being counter-attacked after sidestepping an enemy attack, so exploit the poo poo out of that.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Yeah. I really like having the two different dodging methods. It really makes for some nice and interesting and fluid combat, and keeps it challenging.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
Bloody Baron is literally Robert Barathian and I love it. Though at the same time he's a prick.

Also: AAAAAAAAH! DEMON FETUS! :gonk:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
So I thought maybe I could axii stun deer and ride them like wild horses, but noooo. Geralt can't have a deer as a mount.
:mad::argh:

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
OH MAN I accepted a quest from an old lady to clear out a mansion filled with monsters and when I get there I discover the monsters are dead and the area is filled with traps and it's because motherfuckin Letho is hiding out here

And then we fought off a billion headhunters together and now we're going off to find the rest of these assassins

Witcher buddy cop hijinks this is loving awesome. When he first appears there's a great remix of the Witcher 2 theme that I got chills hearing. Which is not on the official soundtrack and I'm a bit salty about that.

Edit: Finished. That was fantastic. I saved him and got him to go to Kaer Morhen so hopefully he'll show up later, too. What would have happened if I didn't rush in at the end? Would they have killed him?

Meiteron fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 21, 2015

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The combat in this kind of feels like something I should be able to get better at, but it's hard because opportunities to practice aren't continuous. Lots of Dark Souls means I like animation lock combat, I've learned the combo animation strings, and I have a good understanding of how distance to a target modifies your animations.

But since fight encounters are separated by travel and story, I can't really develop the muscle memory to "get good." I've done up to the first Hunt boss and I'm surviving fine, but all my wins are so loving sloppy that its making victory kind of unsatisfying. If there was just a stretch of game where I could fight constantly enough to get a handle on things I'd prob enjoy it more.

That said, everything else is cool. They did a good job of developing an open world that you actually want to explore, and while I normally don't like side quests and dialogue heavy gameplay interruptions (and holy poo poo is this game chatty), the way the quests and characters actually seems meaningful actually has me enjoying them. The way a small town's quests are all interconnected and gives you a sense of the local communities intertwined and complex history is cool, and makes all the difference when compared to the "random sad story fetch quests" in other games like this.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Family Matters ending spoilers - Who the gently caress is Uma, the weird little "man" in the Baron's house?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So, does Gwent ever influence anything outside of the card game itself? Like, lead to equipment or quests?

EDIT: Also, where is there a town in Velen that has all the types of merchants so I can unload some loot quickly?

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 21, 2015

ManSauceGuzzlr
Jul 18, 2004

"That man...I'm...fascinated by him. That look...his whole look. It's hypnotic."
So does anyone know anything about how Quen sign intensity works?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Andrast posted:

Nothing should weight anything. Carrying capacity is always a bad idea and just makes the game worse. The same with equipment durability.

Carrying capacity can be a good idea when you want the player to have to make choices about what to carry and what to discard. Halo has a good carry capacity system. Dungeons and Dragons (and the Witcher by extension) has a goddamn awful carry capacity system because it does not give you any meaningful choices while being an annoying thing to micromanage. It also does not combine well at all with an opaque crafting system.

If Geralt could carry X number of weapons and Y number of potions and that was it, that would be a good carry capacity system. (Oh wait the game already has that)

If Geralt can carry 300 pieces of wood but not 400 pieces of wood it's a baffling and stupid carry capacity system. (the game also has that)

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Is the witcher jacket the only one that needs to be held on to for upgrades?

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Is there any way of swapping Roach out for another horse? I saw one of the loading things saying that Geralt calls all of his horses Roach so why can't I have a stylin' white stallion as mine?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Guys make sure you read the quest logs after you complete the quests, each one has its own little narration start to finish

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dydMsR0IBZI

Ow! :spooky:

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Mystery Prize posted:

Why is the load time for this game so terrible? It should not be taking me 20+ seconds to load a save on an SSD :(

My initial load time is like 10 seconds and subsequent loads after death are like 4 seconds. Fast travel takes only a few seconds as well. On a 250gb 840 evo. This game is running amazingly well for me on my 290x. I was a little worried after hearing both nvidia and amd issues but none here.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Did I permanently miss any Gwent cards by not buying them from the first inn before moving on to the next area? I figure I didn't since the quest to collect em all is still active, but I gotta ask if I hosed up there.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Is Saskia ever mentioned? I haven't seen any mention of her yet.

Neither she nor Iorveth get any mention according to guides/Reddit.

Roche and Ves come back and act like you chose the Roche path. You also learn that Vergen was burned to the ground, and all the rebels hiding there were killed by the Nilfgaardians.

Basically the Iorveth path is as noncanon as going Shani in W1. It didn't happen, you went Roche. Have fun with Broche.

Also for those curious about his horses name, it doesn't mean cockroach, he means the fish. It's oddly translated from Polish and stuck, her name should basically translate to "little fish.".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_roach

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 21, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Feels like the game is very console-designed, UI wise. Should I go dig out my 360 controller again?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Just fought a level 17 Basilisk at level 5 and won.. after about 20 minutes. It's neat that it's possible to ignore the games level recommendations.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

So I keep having this issue where I start the game up and the audio starts getting distorted as soon as it loads and then the game quickly slows to a slideshow, sometimes the audio stops all together. But if I restart the game a couple of times eventually there isn't a problem and it runs perfectly for as long as I don't shut it down again.

Anyone have ideas?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
boobs

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
This may have been brought up already or the devs are already aware of it, but the crash bug I`m getting occasionally seems to be connected to mousing over stuff in the inventory. It`s been on different tabs and on different items, so far.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
gently caress you nilfgaardian nobleman I'll be back when I have a better deck and then i'm gonna wipe your smug not-german rear end all over the floor

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I have the game on my PS4 but I can't get the 1.02 patch that everyone is talking about. I've tried forcing and update but nothing. Anyone figured out a workaround?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I can't say I'm super thrilled about how you have to work your way up the chain from basic to advanced crafted items, even if you have the upper level diagrams. I have several super awesome diagrams that I want to make, but I have to scavenge the map for the -worse- versions of those items so that they can be the base for the new ones. Which of the ten thousand ? marks do I need? Hell if I know.

Also that the diagram drops are weird, I keep getting drops for craftable gear that I cannot equip for twenty more levels, but I think that's just random chance at work.

Game's awesome otherwise.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Do the areas you clear out at Points of Interest ever repopulate? Like, I just emptied out a bandit camp, will bandits ever be back there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Yeah I accidentally crafted a silver sword for level 12. I got the diagram around level 6.

Verranicus posted:

Do the areas you clear out at Points of Interest ever repopulate? Like, I just emptied out a bandit camp, will bandits ever be back there?
Abandoned areas get repopulated by peasants.