Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i want to start a mental health foundation based around hiking and camping, three things of which i understand nothing about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
tbh that looks like it'd be a really nice hike

maybe if I ever visit I'll walk it

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Boxturret posted:

another successful goon project :toot:

Did this dude do any training at all before embarking on this or did he think he'd learn on the way? There is no way I'd do a walk this long without someone else, possibly an entourage and have at least 12 months worth of training beforehand. Including doing marathons

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

quote:

The button and the lid are seamlessly integrated into the structure of the mug.

i see seams

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

MrMoo posted:

Google maps didn't quite work, it gives a grey dotted line then a 9 hour walk.

I doubt that a company that runs their own private bus service accounts for elevation change in time estimates tho

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

beep boop

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

MrMoo posted:

Google maps didn't quite work, it gives a grey dotted line then a 9 hour walk.

you gotta jiggle the starting point a bit to get an accurate route on the trails inside

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
he did not make it to the golden gate bridge, it was 25 miles total over 4 days + an uber ride to his aunt's house

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

pr0zac posted:

he did not make it to the golden gate bridge, it was 25 miles total over 4 days + an uber ride to his aunt's house

lol

i bet he spent more time at dennys than walking

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

You Am I posted:

Did this dude do any training at all before embarking on this or did he think he'd learn on the way? There is no way I'd do a walk this long without someone else, possibly an entourage and have at least 12 months worth of training beforehand. Including doing marathons

some day hikes, chowing down on pizza and wings

y'know

the basics

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

best post was someone saying how he hasn't even raised awareness in his family about bipolar disorder cuz they won't stop enabling him

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

theflyingexecutive posted:

best post was someone saying how he hasn't even raised awareness in his family about bipolar disorder cuz they won't stop enabling him

i know mental health issues are serious and no laughing matter but

lol

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
that square vessel is still not as stupid as that viking horn one that has its own base, at least the square can stand up on its own

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Virion posted:

i know mental health issues are serious and no laughing matter but

lol
imo it is okay to laugh at goon-in-the-well scenarios because they're never posting here to get help or advice, they're posting here to show everyone how badass they are

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

anthonypants posted:

imo it is okay to laugh at goon-in-the-well scenarios because they're never posting here to get help or advice, they're posting here to show everyone how badass they are

he got solid advice and then was all "sorry y'all gonna close this thread, not gonna fail"

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

reminder that hypomania and being a dumbass are almost indistinguishable

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

enotnert posted:

he got solid advice and then was all "sorry y'all gonna close this thread, not gonna fail"
also it was moved to e/n, i think from a/t?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

so the guy gave up then?

i tried reading the thread, but there's 20 pages of gbs whitenoisers posting "sned teh gorp lol"

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Sweevo posted:

so the guy gave up then?

i tried reading the thread, but there's 20 pages of gbs whitenoisers posting "sned teh gorp lol"

the desire for dumb little catchphrases might be the worst thing about nuGBS

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:

Sweevo posted:

so the guy gave up then?

it got even worse after it was moved to e/n, but yes, basically he tried to close it and afterwards his facebook stuff got leaked for 40 pages

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
yeah, if you can filter out the "sned the gorp" poo poo, there is some solid hiking advice in that thread from actual hikers, who tried to tell him he was being dumb, and to scale back his pack, what he'd need for food and what nots.

his responses were always "nah, i went on dayhikes, i know what i'm doing"

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

enotnert posted:

yeah, if you can filter out the "sned the gorp" poo poo, there is some solid hiking advice in that thread from actual hikers, who tried to tell him he was being dumb, and to scale back his pack, what he'd need for food and what nots.

his responses were always "nah, i went on dayhikes, i know what i'm doing"

"you guys are being really condescending, assuming i don't know what i'm doing when i'm making it really obvious i don't know what i'm doing"

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

the most dangerous philosopher in the west
College Slice

theflyingexecutive posted:

reminder that hypomania and being a dumbass are almost indistinguishable

at least mania has the politeness to keep you up for 3 days and make it clear that you're unwell

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Sweevo posted:

so the guy gave up then?

4 days and 20 something miles is how far he got.

part of his reasoning was that once his cart broke (at the 6 mile mark) people stopped paying attention to him and he bacame just another faceless hiker.

so basically his cart is a fedora analogue

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

how do you gently caress up your body that much from four days of walking?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i wasn't hiking for myself or mental illness, no, i was hiking for the cart. the cart was everything. without it, the journey was impossible. i was impossible. *ubers home*

trip time: 4 days
miles cart pushed: 6

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

how do you gently caress up your body that much from four days of walking?

he didn't pack a stove and just ate a handful of raisins for a few days because he ditched his supplies after his baby stroller broke

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

why didn't he just have a rucksack

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
he would have had better results with a Walmart shopping cart

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

why didn't he just have a rucksack

he did, that's where the bear spray went

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

ayn rand hand job posted:

he did, that's where the bear spray went

don't forget the co2 pistol. . .

Also he kept wanting dennys or ihop, literally.

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

how much loving stuff did he bring

and did he just dump that stroller somewhere

and the stuff that was in it

MORE CURLY FRIES fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 21, 2015

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

ayn rand hand job posted:

he didn't pack a stove and just ate a handful of raisins for a few days because he ditched his supplies after his baby stroller broke

yeah, complete lack of nutrition was a big part, but let's not discount the fact that he was pushing that cart for the first day, which likely added a ton of unnecessary stress to his body

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

how much loving stuff did he bring

and did he just dump that stroller somewhere

and the stuff that was in it

RIP

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

good thing he didnt take any blister cream or anything

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

theflyingorc posted:

yeah, complete lack of nutrition was a big part, but let's not discount the fact that he was pushing that cart for the first day, which likely added a ton of unnecessary stress to his body
lack of nutrition???

Muerte posted:

Its not about not knowing how to cook, its about I'm a very picky eater and have literally lived on pizza, hamburgers, hotwings and chips my entire life. I'm sure you think I'm exaggerating but the people who know me would attest to this statement. I'm also 6' 3" 200# so go ahead and call me fat rear end because that isn't true either.

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

lmao

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
I was really hoping there would be at least a week more of his "adventure", but I'm glad dude didn't die like we all figured he would.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

enotnert posted:

I was really hoping there would be at least a week more of his "adventure", but I'm glad dude didn't die like we all figured he would.

this result IS really funny

plan: i will walk from the west coast to the east coast

result: did not make it to san francisco, a city bordering the pacific

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

4 days and 20 something miles is how far he got.

part of his reasoning was that once his cart broke (at the 6 mile mark) people stopped paying attention to him and he bacame just another faceless hiker.

so basically his cart is a fedora analogue

This is the best part ~5 miles a day. The average American walks roughly 2 miles a day in just general activities and getting around.

• Locked thread