Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Kind of hard not to when somebody's making GBS threads on you every year.

I can't even be happy about the loving Hawks because some assholes from the Bay Area are hogging all the airtime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Wanvig posted:

Baylor's position on your list is interesting; all of my Aggie friends hate Baylor with a passion usually reserved for Texas that I can't understand (Baylor didn't really turn it around until you were about to leave the Big 12)

I'm from Waco and went to a lot of Baylor games growing up, so I have a soft spot in my heart for them. Aggies have had a lot more hostility toward Baylor in recent years partly because of Baylor's threatening legal action when we were about to leave the Big 12, and mostly because they feel threatened by Baylor's recent success and will do anything to downplay it.

Traditionally the Baylor - A&M rivalry has been somewhat analogous to A&M - Texas, where Baylor hates A&M more than anything and the world, while A&M sees them more as an annoyance and overall kind if tries to downplay it.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

EDSBS: Did Action Bronson fix the 2006 ACC Championship Game?

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday...5717.1365522488

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I can't even be happy about the loving Hawks because some assholes from the Bay Area are hogging all the airtime.

you root for fuckin georgia not wsu or idaho or wyoming tech or something

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
At least if they were lovely I wouldn't have to get my hopes up

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Detroit_Dogg posted:

SportingNews ranked the coaches so have a list of the top 10

Meyer
Saban
Dantonio
Patterson
Briles
Harbaugh
Shaw
Snyder
Spurrier
Petersen

Snyder should clearly be at least three spots up from here.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Distinct lack of Mike London, list invalidated

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Getting a little too into football itt.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Ungratek posted:

Distinct lack of Mike London, list invalidated

He's 105. He's not even the worst P5 coach(in front of like 4-5 people I believe) and only barely the worst in the ACC(Cuse's guy is 1 spot in front of London).

It's baffling how they think he's even that good of a coach. His recruiting prowess is dead in the water, he brings nothing to the field for Xs and Os and he makes bar none some of the worst game-time decisions I've seen.

This isn't like Al Groh hanging around a bit too long but he still might be serviceable, London is objectively awful and completely toxic right now as a potential hire anywhere on this level. He's either going to be some mid-major's WR coach next year or headed back down to FCS to be at a coordinator or HC level.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

At least if they were lovely I wouldn't have to get my hopes up

but i do keep getting my hopes up

this might be the season that finishes the job for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gO7uemm6Yo

then again if i survived years with back to back gutpunches in the forum of the new mexico bowl and the cal debacle it cant get much worse

oh wait we lost our defense and dont have halliday lmao 3-9 here we come :smithicide:

wheez the roux fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 21, 2015

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Come this fall Wheez and Hotlanta Man are going to be in football fans anonymous support group trying to help them get off this cycle of abuse and broken hopes

It is there that they will find Gendo and drag him back into the forum, where we will tear him apart at last

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
News:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/fired-weis-still-highest-paid-notre-dame-coach-192511043--ncaaf.html

Views: :lol:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

pillsburysoldier posted:

EDSBS: Did Action Bronson fix the 2006 ACC Championship Game?

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday...5717.1365522488

I can't believe that's a real Bronson line but at the same time it's like the platonic ideal of a Bronson line.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

lol holy poo poo Brian Kelly took them to the BCS title game 3 years after they fired Weis and still makes about a fifth of the average SEC coach's salary.

this man needs to fire his agent

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Raku posted:

lol holy poo poo Brian Kelly took them to the BCS title game 3 years after they fired Weis and still makes about a fifth of the average SEC coach's salary.

this man needs to fire his agent

And hire Weis's, he's getting money all over the place for not coaching.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

Crotch Bat posted:

He's 105. He's not even the worst P5 coach(in front of like 4-5 people I believe) and only barely the worst in the ACC(Cuse's guy is 1 spot in front of London).

It's baffling how they think he's even that good of a coach. His recruiting prowess is dead in the water, he brings nothing to the field for Xs and Os and he makes bar none some of the worst game-time decisions I've seen.

This isn't like Al Groh hanging around a bit too long but he still might be serviceable, London is objectively awful and completely toxic right now as a potential hire anywhere on this level. He's either going to be some mid-major's WR coach next year or headed back down to FCS to be at a coordinator or HC level.

He should have been fired after 2-10, instead he got two more years. And we looked so bad last year that even if we had gone 7-6 I would have still insisted he be fired.

His one successful season was a mirage with wins over 1-11 Indiana, I-AA William and Mary, 2-10 Idaho, 3-9 Duke, 2-10 Maryland. (These teams combined I-A wins were over San Jose State, BC, Tulane, FIU, and Miami.) Our other wins that year were against GT (8-5 against a ridiculously soft schedule), 6-6 Miami, and a borderline top-25 FSU team.

London has made terrible hires, terrible decisions, and is overrated at recruiting. He's 8-27 in the last 35 games against I-A foes.

An insider claims that Pep Hamilton had some interest in the UVa job. I'm wary of the guy, he's been a success in part because he's been joined at the hip to the best quarterback prospect in a generation. And the things people say about him, "well respected and liked", well, so was Mike loving London so whoop-de-poo poo.

But he can't be any worse than London (I refuse to believe a non-laughingstock power 5 conference team could hire anyone demonstrably worse), so why the gently caress didn't we hire him last year?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

god just shut up already

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I wish Cheeseburger Charlie's heart would just loving stop already.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LeeMajors posted:

Suing his lap band surgery doctor should have been the biggest slam dunk win ever. Apparently someone had a heart attack or something in court and the guy saved his life though, which threw a wrench into things.

I actually have no idea if that's true but Swickles or someone said that's what happened when I asked about it a while back, and either way it's a good enough story it oughtta be true.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

LeeMajors posted:

It'll just turn out there's a clause in his contract that they still have to pay him and they use the money to literally burn as fuel for his eternal flame (that's used to melt cheese for his eternal cheddar fountain).

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Sash! posted:

It'll just turn out there's a clause in his contract that they still have to pay him and they use the money to literally burn as fuel for his eternal flame (that's used to melt cheese for his eternal cheddar fountain).

They could just burn his corpse--there's enough fat for him to burn for millennia. Like the coal seam in Centralia.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

paperchaseguy posted:

He should have been fired after 2-10, instead he got two more years. And we looked so bad last year that even if we had gone 7-6 I would have still insisted he be fired.

His one successful season was a mirage with wins over 1-11 Indiana, I-AA William and Mary, 2-10 Idaho, 3-9 Duke, 2-10 Maryland. (These teams combined I-A wins were over San Jose State, BC, Tulane, FIU, and Miami.) Our other wins that year were against GT (8-5 against a ridiculously soft schedule), 6-6 Miami, and a borderline top-25 FSU team.

London has made terrible hires, terrible decisions, and is overrated at recruiting. He's 8-27 in the last 35 games against I-A foes.

An insider claims that Pep Hamilton had some interest in the UVa job. I'm wary of the guy, he's been a success in part because he's been joined at the hip to the best quarterback prospect in a generation. And the things people say about him, "well respected and liked", well, so was Mike loving London so whoop-de-poo poo.

But he can't be any worse than London (I refuse to believe a non-laughingstock power 5 conference team could hire anyone demonstrably worse), so why the gently caress didn't we hire him last year?

I really liked when he went over 3 years without winning a November conference game.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Ungratek posted:

I really liked when he went over 3 years without winning a November conference game.

how is that possible

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Grittybeard posted:

Suing his lap band surgery doctor should have been the biggest slam dunk win ever. Apparently someone had a heart attack or something in court and the guy saved his life though, which threw a wrench into things.

I actually have no idea if that's true but Swickles or someone said that's what happened when I asked about it a while back, and either way it's a good enough story it oughtta be true.

Haha, yeah its true. He sued his lapband doctor because he ended up in the ICU after some complications due to the surgery. The first trial was declared a mistrial because a juror had a heart attack and one of the doctors supplied CPR and actually revived the guy on the court room floor. I think they ended up settling out of court. The fact that the hospital and the doctor even went to trial tells you Weis probably had no case and was pissed off that sometimes poo poo happens. Whenever there is even the slightest chance of winning, malpractice cases involving an institution of that size are almost always settled before a trial.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

kayakyakr posted:

gently caress Everyone.

Especially Texas.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Metapod posted:

how is that possible

He meant October but it wasn't 3 full years. He lost them all in 2012 and 2013 but won one in 2014 to stand at 1-9 in his last 10 October games.

His November record is sub-par but not all-time bad(6-14).

The guy just wasn't meant to be a head coach. He walked into a pre-made national title team his first year at Richmond and other than a slight bump his 2nd year at UVA it has been downhill since. It's not really his fault, it's just the Peter Principle in action.

I feel bad for UVA fans. Rivalries aren't supposed to go like this, even GT manages to push out some wins now and then against UGA. It's just a pity stage right now, it's where I was with them in 2008-2009 when Groh was still hanging around. I mean, I hated London when he was hired but after we played them in 2011(UVA's best year under London) at their house for a place in the ACCCG and beat them like 38-0 you could see London wasn't going to be a true threat. All the close games recently weren't close because UVA was good, just because VT was bad. It's ceased being a rivalry and that sucks because WVU's gone and Miami and BC just don't cut it as rivals because their fans don't give a poo poo unless maybe it's FSU. The only reason there's been any hype the past few years playing UVA is because a 20+ year bowl streak has been on the line and that sucks, it used to be a great game with a lot more suspense around it.

You guys will beat us again and be able to celebrate like you just won the national title. In that respect, I'm pretty jealous.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 21, 2015

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Crotch Bat posted:

He meant October but it wasn't 3 full years. He lost them all in 2012 and 2013 but won one in 2014 to stand at 1-9 in his last 10 October games.

:stare: the athletic director needs to get fired more not firing him

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
We've finished last in the Coastal 5 out of the last 6 years.

I asked on thesabre why Craig Littlepage hadn't fired London, and the general response was that he wanted to give his coaches in every sport every chance to succeed. Because when he was a basketball coach at Rutgers, he felt he wasn't given that chance.

So I went back and looked at Rutgers basketball history. You may not be surprised to find out that they've sucked. In the past 32 years, they have ONE twenty win season (and were NIT runners up that year, inflating their win total). As bad as they have been, Littlepage has their three worst seasons in his three years as head coach there.

Littlepage has some good hires, one great one (Bennett) and one terrible one. He's looking at retirement soon, and his legacy will be London and whoever the successor is.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

paperchaseguy posted:

I asked on thesabre why Craig Littlepage hadn't fired London, and the general response was that he wanted to give his coaches in every sport every chance to succeed. Because when he was a basketball coach at Rutgers, he felt he wasn't given that chance.

The real reason is that Littlepage made the hire because London is black, and now he can't go back on it because he will look like a total clown for making the hire on such specious grounds. He's close to retirement, as you note, so his only hope for a positive football legacy is if London can miraculously begin delivering good seasons. So, what's going to happen over in reality is that Littlepage will be remembered as the guy who brought huge success to the basketball program, and salted the earth of the football program.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

And you wonder why UVA football fans really don't give a poo poo.

I mean we were never more than "mildly interested' but we still still packed the stadium most games. This has not been the case since the 52-14 loss against VT in 2005. Just really hard to care when the AD doesn't

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

single-mode fiber posted:

The real reason is that Littlepage made the hire because London is black, and now he can't go back on it because he will look like a total clown for making the hire on such specious grounds. He's close to retirement, as you note, so his only hope for a positive football legacy is if London can miraculously begin delivering good seasons. So, what's going to happen over in reality is that Littlepage will be remembered as the guy who brought huge success to the basketball program, and salted the earth of the football program.

Being black was certainly a big plus. Littlepage is black, and then UVa president Casteen loved to be able to say he'd hired a black person for a high profile position. But London was a rumored successor to Groh even before he left UVa for Richmond. He was a former UVa defensive coordinator, had lived in Virginia almost his whole life, had NFL experience, and head coaching experience at the I-AA level just down the road. Supposedly he had good recruiting contacts at the high school level.

I mean, he was a slight reach, and I would have preferred Golden at the time (still would) due to his turning Temple around, but London had some undeniable qualifications.

Littlepage also canned Dave Leitao, though it's rumored Paul Tudor Jones (who made the major donation for the JPJ arena) demanded of Casteen that he be fired.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

I always figured people went to UVA games for the coeds in sundresses more than the football.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
It should be noted that Kent State should have gone into halftime against Virginia with a lead but the bullshit biased big conference referees turned a touchdown into an interception and it was all downhill from there

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

paperchaseguy posted:

Being black was certainly a big plus.

This is the first time these words have ever been written ever.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
Mike London against mid-majors:

2014 W 45-13 Kent State (2-9)
2013 L 48-27 Ball State (10-3)
2012 L 44-38 Louisiana Tech (9-3)
2011 L 30-24 Southern Miss (11-2)
2010 W 48-21 Eastern Michigan (2-10)

There's some bad luck in playing three good teams, but if we'd been respectable we still would have beaten them.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
:mediocre:

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I have a friend who is a Hokies fan that actually think the Virginia/Virginia Tech rivalry is among the biggest in the country. I told him how cute he sounds.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Rad Valtar posted:

I have a friend who is a Hokies fan that actually think the Virginia/Virginia Tech rivalry is among the biggest in the country. I told him how cute he sounds.

Well all those national commercials that play it up seem to thi.... oh nevermind.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Rad Valtar posted:

The Tennessee/VT rivalry would be bigger than a VA/VT even if they just played once every 5 years.

Just 477 days to the Battle at Bristol. (for real any goons going to this?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
No, they're all busy going to God's True Rivalry, Kent State/Akron for the Wagon Wheel, the most prized trophy in the land

• Locked thread