Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Bertrand Hustle posted:

For me it's just people who drive like idiots. Tailgating me is one thing (albeit still extremely stupid and annoying), but accelerating like you're going to ram my car from behind in some idiotic attempt to intimidate me into going faster is another.

It's actually kind of amazing that people have tried that poo poo, and not just on the highway, but on named streets with reasonable speed limits.

How fast do you drive? I have never had this happen to me, but then, I don't drive like a half blind old lady down public highways during rush hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
"Just get up and leave the house!! It's THAT easy!"
"Turn that frown upside down!"
"Just stop doing [compulsive/addictive negative behavior]" for something actually difficult to do like, "Just stop doing heroin!"
"Well I was able to do x easily!" "Your brother/sister/cousin/friend/etc did it and look at how successful they are!" "I was able to do x in y amount of time, why can't you do it?"

In general people who don't even try to think that mental illness exists. Especially when someone close to them, like a family member, who they see every day struggling, somehow think that that person just needs to "try harder." I get it that their brain is normal and it's hard to put yourself in someone else's shoes, but for gods sake at least read an article online about mental illness, or that person's disorder, and how it can be debilitating. And, it seems like they think that psychiatric medications are literally a "happy pill" that people take because they're too lazy to be happy/put in effort themselves. Like that think it's akin to heroin or OxyContin when abused or whatever, not a trial-and-error thing that probably won't work, and even if it does it just lets a person function somewhat normally.

--> my sister went from straight A student with a huge scholarship to not being able to leave the house over half the time, and blatantly obviously mentally hosed up if she can't refill one of her many prescriptions, but no she just needs to get up and just do it!

Oh and also those fucks on tumblr who pretend to have mental illness and who glorify it and wear it like a badge of honor. You don't help whatsoever and make people with real mental illness look like fakers and attention-seekers. I hope you get locked up in the shittiest, lowest funded, abusive mental institution.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 14:22 on May 18, 2015

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

People who don't understand sarcasm, alright, I get it, I've reached a point where every second sentence I use is loaded to bursting with lovely sarcasm, but if I tell you "Sorry I'm late, had to hide the bodies" you shouldn't take me seriously.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Irish Joe posted:

How fast do you drive? I have never had this happen to me, but then, I don't drive like a half blind old lady down public highways during rush hour.

Happens here quite a bit (Nebraska) - I swear anyone born and raised here has zero clue how to handle a car. I've been on the interstate going 5mph over the limit in the right lane and STILL have people tailgating because apparently 65-70mph isn't fast enough. Bonus points for the jackoffs that don't use the left passing lane and just keep riding your bumper for 5 miles like they'll change your mind. :argh: People are just dumb, careless assholes sometimes.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Ozz81 posted:

Happens here quite a bit (Nebraska) - I swear anyone born and raised here has zero clue how to handle a car. I've been on the interstate going 5mph over the limit in the right lane and STILL have people tailgating because apparently 65-70mph isn't fast enough. Bonus points for the jackoffs that don't use the left passing lane and just keep riding your bumper for 5 miles like they'll change your mind. :argh: People are just dumb, careless assholes sometimes.

It happens pretty much everywhere, I think. I especially hate when they pull that poo poo in areas where the municipality has set up a revenue-generating speed trap. Yeah, I get it, brotruck dude--you want to get to Walmart as fast as possible, but we're coming up on McAlester, Oklahoma, and their police act like they're gonna get executed if they don't write a billion tickets a day. I'm not getting pulled over just so their mayor can save downtown or whatever, so kindly take the hi-beam toggle you're angrily switching six feet behind me and shove it up your rear end :argh:

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Bertrand Hustle posted:

My peeve now is teenagers. It's always something with these kids. I'm 27 and going back to school, and some of my classmates can be incredibly childish. When they're not bitching about what an rear end in a top hat one professor is for expecting them to show up on time for exams, they're getting bent out of shape over stupid bullshit.

At my old art college there was a huge group of lovely girls who thought themselves to be the pinnacle of feminism and all things social justice. Of course this lead them to bullying a few of the lesbian girls in our classes because one of them wanted to date one of their girlfriends and got mad she was already in a relationship. They also loved going on facebook and ranting and raving about whatever the gently caress got up their rear end that day - For a few months it was non stop posting on a teacher's public profile about what a disgusting old man he was. Dude's only sin is that he's an older dude in a different generation with different ideas on how designs should be. He'd even came to classes and put the pictures the girls were freaking out on up on the powerpoint and asked us all if we had issues with it and if it was something we should talk about as a class. Of course they all stayed quiet as a mouse in the back of the room and just glared.

Turns out he's quitting, and the school decided it was too hard to find a suitable replacement so they're getting whoever they can as part timers to teach at a level far lower than the old teacher used to. They've also taught the younger years how to be as lovely or worse than them because they now know that if they whine enough and accuse people of being rapists for making jokes they can get their way at the expense of their education and people's careers.

gently caress tumblr sjws and their ilk. I can't stand people who will bitch and whine but when it comes to actually changing things or trying to make it better they immediately run off to cry about how they don't have enough spoons for it.

Legislacerator
Dec 26, 2006

1 W1LL H4V3 ORD3R 1N TH1S RUMPUSBLOCK!

Thin Privilege posted:

Oh and also those fucks on tumblr who pretend to have mental illness and who glorify it and wear it like a badge of honor. You don't help whatsoever and make people with real mental illness look like fakers and attention-seekers. I hope you get locked up in the shittiest, lowest funded, abusive mental institution.

This, 100%.

I have a handful of diagnosed mental issues and where most people feel understood and cared for on Tumblr, it just ends up disgusting me in ways I can't even explain and 95% of it is how people treat mental illness on this loving website. Not to mention if you're a person who WANTS to seek help, they think you have just been conned into something or that you're "not being true to yourself" by taking medication or seeing a therapist. Like they don't understand that these doctors/therapists/psychologists/etc didn't work their asses off for years so they could help people with actual problems. I've decided they are pretty much anti-therapy because they're gonna go to a therapist and a therapist will tell them there's nothing wrong with them, they're just an average person and they won't get to wear that special snowflake badge anymore. But then that makes the therapist an ableist or-- :suicide:

gently caress tumblr, tumblr is my pet peeve.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
We took in three foster kittens a little over a week ago that were underweight, and our rescue tech didn't give us much info about feeding other than the babies could eat wet canned food and were weaned but we could give kitten milk if we wanted. So over the weekend when one of the babies wasn't gaining weight, I emailed her several times asking if we were giving enough formula/kitten milk and how much she needed each time, and didn't get a reply until 8am loving today. The kitten just died ten minutes ago. So maybe getting the right loving info when I asked would have saved her life. Maybe not.

So the peeve would be not being loving avaliable when you SAY YOU ARE EVERY loving DAY. And when you take a weekend off, loving have a replacement set up because two loving days is a long time when you have a sick animal!

I understand the need for personal time but all I needed was a loving feed chart to go off from and Roomba might have made it.

Less upset peeve, people who won't drop the subject when it's over. A guy at work today kept whining about the Waco shootings and how he doesn't get what biker gangs shoot things for. He was told it was probably a territory dispute, or something between illegal gun running or drugs but even as we tried to move to another topic he spent the next ten minutes whining that he doesn't understand and seriously dude? You don't get why people doing illegal organized crime might shoot a place up?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Ozz81 posted:

No one drives at or around the speed limit in Nebraska. It's either up your rear end or 10-15 mph below the speed limit.

I've lived in three different states and it's definitely the most notable here. Texas surprisingly has the most reasonable drivers of places I've lived so far.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
People who adopt baby kittens without knowing how to care for them.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Irish Joe posted:

People who give up their pets when they have a baby. No this companion who has been with me for 10 years and is bonded to me is expendable, little Kayhleyhgh is the only important thing in the world!!

Really how people take care of their pets in general. I have EIGHT cats and my vet is always saying how well they're taken care of and how people with just 1 cat don't even come close to the level of my cats. My point is that it's not that loving hard to take care of an animal if you put in even a little effort.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 18:17 on May 20, 2015

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
People who let their cats be outside cats. :smith:

God dammit people we live in Florida, there's always the chance of, gators, racoons, random psychopaths.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Irish Joe posted:

I hope this wasn't a dig at me since these are foster kittens left at a shelter and I work in a cat rescue. It's not like I just ran off with three underweight kittens.

Peeve: people who come to the rescue adoption events and are aghast the kittens are spayed/neutered already because they wanted to breed them and make tons of money from Siamese kittens. Do people seriously not understand what a loving rescue or kill-shelter is?

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
What's a kill shelter?

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Ads on TV or radio that play the awful gurgling sound that's meant to indicate beer is being poured. It's usually preceded by the sound of a can cracking open, and sometimes followed by lip smacking and a refreshed "ahhhh."

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Present posted:

What's a kill shelter?

A kill shelter is a shelter that euthanizes unwanted strays.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Klaus88 posted:

God dammit people we live in Florida, there's always the chance of, gators, racoons, random psychopaths.

Echoing this, and I'm not even in an area with super dangerous animals like that around. A couple years ago I accidentally hit a cat while driving home at night on a dirt road and still feel lovely about it. Keep your pets inside, people - all I could think about is some poor kid that doesn't have a pet any more because someone got careless and it got out (or was let out). :smith:

Another from working in IT - when someone gives me a time to work on a problem, and they either (a) bitch when I follow up at the time they asked or (b) aren't around when they said they would be so I can look at their problem. Jesus people, it's not that difficult to either be available (or let me know if you won't be), or be a little more polite if you need to reschedule. Turning into a massive rear end in a top hat or catty bitch when I'm trying to help out doesn't do you any favors and sure as hell doesn't make me want to help you again.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Irish Joe posted:

A kill shelter is a shelter that euthanizes unwanted strays.

And unwanted can mean things like "too old" (I've seen 3yrs being deemed too old), or "hisses sometimes" (yes I am a cat in a new environment being groped by weird people no I will not hiss that type of reaction would not make any sense). Low funding means a pet that just needs a bit of petting ends up being euthanized.

E: the words "fresh" "delicious" "lunch" and people pretending to enjoy eating some really juicy thing. In commercials. Or real life. It drives me insane. Someone biting into like a hamburger and the juices pour down their face while they talk about how jhhhuccy their delishhhhhus fressshhhh luncccchhhhhhh is... Ugh just realized a new one: the word "juicy".

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 04:12 on May 21, 2015

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Present posted:

What's a kill shelter?

Kill shelters are when the shelter will accept almost any animal surrendered to it and euthanize any animal they deem necessary due to health or behavioural problems. This means people can drop off an animal that's perfectly healthy except it has parasites or feline HIV and most kill shelters will put them down to stop it from potentially spreading to the other animals. They'll also put down animals who are suffering from terminal illnesses even if long term care can give them a few more years of life.

No kills keep the animal alive regardless and try to foster/adopt them out despite their health problems, behavioral issues or age.

Either form of shelter can be horrifically cruel - there's a lot of kill shelters that will euthanize any cat too young or too old (they're not cute anymore!), and there's a lot of no kill shelters where the people running it cut corners and are bat poo poo insane.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Klaus88 posted:

That second sentence went in totally the opposite direction to what I was expecting.

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Either form of shelter can be horrifically cruel - there's a lot of kill shelters that will euthanize any cat too young or too old (they're not cute anymore!)
That's horrifically cruel?

Senator Sprinkles
Aug 16, 2008

When people post a YouTube link in a thread with no description of what the video is or who it's intended for. Just a gibberish YouTube link we're supposed to click and watch, I guess. Also, in the same vein, when I come across a really neat-sounding article on FB or whatever, only to find out it's not really an article I can read at my leisure; it's some vapid video I'd have to sit through. I'd rather just read the info than watch some poorly-made video about it!

So I guess videos on the Internet are my pet peeve.

:bahgawd:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Christ, Article A Video - The Onion.

Yes, it's a video.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Senator Sprinkles posted:

When people post a YouTube link in a thread with no description of what the video is or who it's intended for. Just a gibberish YouTube link we're supposed to click and watch, I guess. Also, in the same vein, when I come across a really neat-sounding article on FB or whatever, only to find out it's not really an article I can read at my leisure; it's some vapid video I'd have to sit through. I'd rather just read the info than watch some poorly-made video about it!

So I guess videos on the Internet are my pet peeve.

:bahgawd:

Probably been said already but people that post a GIF in a thread that ends up lagging entire pages down. Happens more often in Chrome because of the crap memory management, but still irks me when someone creates a 50MB+ GIF that slows pages to a crawl. Even worse when several people invariably complain and a handful of posters pipe in with "get a better connection/computer/browser :smug:" like they're all high and mighty hot poo poo. Sorry, not everyone has mommy and daddy still paying for internet for them while they sit on their lazy asses, nor does everyone live in an area with reliable high speed internet. It's even worse when an idiot creates a huge GIF that ends up being almost the same size as the video it came from, because they have no loving clue how compression works and apparently can't be bothered to link to a video instead.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Irish Joe posted:

I get pissed off when people buy/adopt any goddamn animal they're not going to take care of. Living in a college town, I see way too much of it. "OHMYGOD I'M LIVING IN MY OWN HOUSE TIME TO GET A DOG! MOM CAN'T TELL ME NO!" So you buy a puppy (because shelter animals are gross), start neglecting it almost immediately when it uses the restroom on the floor because potty training is hard, then relegate it to a tiny cage when you get a boyfriend or girlfriend and don't want to have to deal with puppy while you're watching movies, getting drunk, scrogging, etc. Pretty soon, it's off to the shelter because "you just don't have time for a dog" but in reality you're either lazy or bored of the poor thing. Of course, you'll take it to the nearest shelter, which is probably a kill shelter because the nearest Humane Society shelter is in the next county and it's, like 20 miles away ugggggghhhh I'm sure someone will adopt this puppy, I've got to get back in time for American Idol

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
I know we've touched on this before, but I'm getting a little tired of hearing people complain about how their kids cramp their style and make everything SO HARD, and then in the next breath tell me I'm missing out by not having any. Yeah, it sounds like I'm missing out on a whole lot of pain in the rear end.

Yesterday I was told that I have "no excuse" for not doing weekend hikes because my time is my own and I've got nothing else going on. Sure, I mean, it's not like I have a job, or other hobbies, or relationships that need work, and I certainly don't have errands that need taking care of. I can do whatever I want because kids are such a pain in the rear end and oh they make you so fat and they're so expensive and oh my god I never have time for anything HEY WHY HAVEN'T YOU HAD KIDS YET THEY'RE A BLESSING.

Look, I'm not the one who knocked you up, so take it up with your husband if you're that unhappy with the choices you made. And I know misery loves company, but you're not going to recruit me to your side after you spent ten minutes talking about how awful it is.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Stupid goons relying too much on acronyms drive me nuts on these forums.

"Yeah that's what bugged me about JYiR."

You lazy rear end in a top hat. You're the first to mention this obscure thing and you expect everyone to know all the same movies/music/Japanese cartoon horse poo poo that you know.

gently caress you.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

don't have enough spoons for it.

What?

I don't know what this means and I'm pretty sure it's going to be a pet peeve.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

MindlessHavok posted:

What?

I don't know what this means and I'm pretty sure it's going to be a pet peeve.

"Spoon Theory" is a concept come up with by a gal who claimed to have a chronic illness, as a way to describe the fact that people have finite amounts of energy. She was at a Denny's or something when her friends asked her about her illness and why she was tired all the time, and the only physical representation of expending stamina throughout the day she could come up with was a handful of spoons from nearby tables. "I spend one spoon showering, then three spoons at work, then I only have three spoons left for the rest of the day" was essentially it.

Then, the Internet got ahold of it and suddenly everyone with a WebMD-diagnosed illness would bitch and moan about "not having the spoons to deal with this" when really they were not actually sick but instead lazy or otherwise unwilling to do whatever. I'm not sure if the creator actually had an illness but I think she's since written a book about Spoon Theory and I've seen at least one Spoon Theory tattoo.

Wonder how many spoons it took to get an enormous full-color tattoo of spoons...

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I get pissed off when people buy/adopt any goddamn animal they're not going to take care of. Living in a college town, I see way too much of it. "OHMYGOD I'M LIVING IN MY OWN HOUSE TIME TO GET A DOG! MOM CAN'T TELL ME NO!" So you buy a puppy (because shelter animals are gross), start neglecting it almost immediately when it uses the restroom on the floor because potty training is hard, then relegate it to a tiny cage when you get a boyfriend or girlfriend and don't want to have to deal with puppy while you're watching movies, getting drunk, scrogging, etc. Pretty soon, it's off to the shelter because "you just don't have time for a dog" but in reality you're either lazy or bored of the poor thing. Of course, you'll take it to the nearest shelter, which is probably a kill shelter because the nearest Humane Society shelter is in the next county and it's, like 20 miles away ugggggghhhh I'm sure someone will adopt this puppy, I've got to get back in time for American Idol

When I was in college I saw SO MANY people buy a puppy because "omg cute!!" then first school break posting how they have to get rid of the puppy because their parents wouldn't let them bring it home over break. We own a property in a college town and we have a no pets clause to discourage this sort of behavior (and also not having our carpet ruined by a college kid who can't bother to potty train their dog). We will lift the pets ban if the tenant has a proven track record of not being a shithead absentee pet owner, but there is no way anyone will acquire a dog or cat while living there.

I acquired a pet during college but it was a caged rodent that was compatible with my weird college schedule (and I still have him years later). Now that I own dogs I can't imagine trying to take care of them while chronically broke with a wildly unpredictable schedule. What do you do when your dog needs to see the vet and you have $3 in your bank account and Sparky is a secret you're keeping from your parents?

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
It pisses me off that the quality of consumer goods always gets poorer and poorer over time. You finally find a good brand you like for a product, whether it be clothes, shoes, food, hell, even toilet paper, and everything's good. Then you wear it out or use it up and eventually need to replace it, so you go buy the same brand again, only to find that it's now become worse somehow. The construction is poorer, the materials are lovely, the sizing isn't right, the ingredients are cheaper, there's not as much product in the package, the rolls are suddenly a quarter inch shorter...whatever it is, something about it has become worse than before. And if you just sigh and stick with that brand anyway, then a year or two later you'll go to buy another one only to find that the quality has declined even further. So now you have to go hunting for a better brand, only to discover that every other brand has also become cheap and lovely over the years. :sigh:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

When I was in college I saw SO MANY people buy a puppy because "omg cute!!" then first school break posting how they have to get rid of the puppy because their parents wouldn't let them bring it home over break. We own a property in a college town and we have a no pets clause to discourage this sort of behavior (and also not having our carpet ruined by a college kid who can't bother to potty train their dog). We will lift the pets ban if the tenant has a proven track record of not being a shithead absentee pet owner, but there is no way anyone will acquire a dog or cat while living there.

I've got a handful of units near campus and as much as I'd love a full-on pet ban, for the three- and four-bedrooms, the first thing potential renters ask about is our pet policy. Our lawyer advised imposing a ludicrous non-refundable pet fee and charging monthly "pet rent" as deterrents to weed out the shitheads. That works well most of the time, but once in a while I'll get a trust fund kid who doesn't bat an eye at writing a check for first month+last month+deposit+pet fee equal to three months' rent+pet rent on lease day.

That said, I do reduce the fee and eliminate the extra pet rent if they've owned the pet(s) for at least a year and provide the pets' medical records showing consistent care/vaccinations/etc. and allow me to speak with their vet about the pets. If there's any mention of "suspicious injuries" or neglect, deal's off. I'm not having that poo poo in my goddamn units; I'm not a slumlord.

I got really stringent about the rules after letting one gal and her new puppy rent a four-bedroom that I'd just re-carpeted. A puppy can do horrible things to carpet in the span of 12 months if it's not properly housetrained.

I wish there was stronger legislation about who can buy a dog or cat and when. What sucks is that the picky, finicky pet providers are inevitably no-kill shelters who will call your landlord, your boss, your bank, come inspect the house the pet will be living in, etc. A puppy mill's only requirement is that you pay for it--it doesn't matter if you're 17 and living on your own for the first time and just getting a puppy because OMG CUTE!! :(

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

People who bug you on ebay. I don't use it often, and only to sell old games. Without fail when I list a bunch of stuff my inbox gets filled with idiots begging me to sell privately. I just this moment got three messages that are:

1 - "Hi, please sell to me for £8.99 plus postage."

2 - "I need you to accept my offer, pls. I need it pls."

3 - "Need to know, get back 2 me ASAP pls I need this game thanks pls."

I put it up for auction only for a reason, lay off this needy crap and bid on it like a normal person if you want it so bad. Drives me crazy.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

dennyk posted:

It pisses me off that the quality of consumer goods always gets poorer and poorer over time. You finally find a good brand you like for a product, whether it be clothes, shoes, food, hell, even toilet paper, and everything's good. Then you wear it out or use it up and eventually need to replace it, so you go buy the same brand again, only to find that it's now become worse somehow. The construction is poorer, the materials are lovely, the sizing isn't right, the ingredients are cheaper, there's not as much product in the package, the rolls are suddenly a quarter inch shorter...whatever it is, something about it has become worse than before. And if you just sigh and stick with that brand anyway, then a year or two later you'll go to buy another one only to find that the quality has declined even further. So now you have to go hunting for a better brand, only to discover that every other brand has also become cheap and lovely over the years. :sigh:

This and wildly varying sizes from place to place - I can buy an XL polo shirt at Target and it fits perfectly, then go to Kohl's and the same shirt is practically a goddamn tent on my frame and is way too long past my waist. Same with dress shirts, I've had great luck at JC Penney with nice dress shirts in a specific size, but getting that same size at another retailer ends up with shorter sleeves, tighter neck, longer/shorter waist, etc.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
If you're not a woman, you can't really complain about sizing in clothes. It's beyond arbitrary, even within the same brand. I have clothes from Target in everything from XS-L, and they all fit the way they're supposed to. Vanity sizing is the stupidest loving thing.

On this note, I'm tall. It would be nice to try on a dress and not have the waistline be somewhere around my ribcage, and not have every skirt turn into a mini.

And also, I hate that every other bra is either push-up or comes with an inch of padding. Not everyone wants to be a titty monster all the time.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I've got a handful of units near campus and as much as I'd love a full-on pet ban, for the three- and four-bedrooms, the first thing potential renters ask about is our pet policy. Our lawyer advised imposing a ludicrous non-refundable pet fee and charging monthly "pet rent" as deterrents to weed out the shitheads. That works well most of the time, but once in a while I'll get a trust fund kid who doesn't bat an eye at writing a check for first month+last month+deposit+pet fee equal to three months' rent+pet rent on lease day.

That said, I do reduce the fee and eliminate the extra pet rent if they've owned the pet(s) for at least a year and provide the pets' medical records showing consistent care/vaccinations/etc. and allow me to speak with their vet about the pets. If there's any mention of "suspicious injuries" or neglect, deal's off. I'm not having that poo poo in my goddamn units; I'm not a slumlord.

I got really stringent about the rules after letting one gal and her new puppy rent a four-bedroom that I'd just re-carpeted. A puppy can do horrible things to carpet in the span of 12 months if it's not properly housetrained.

I wish there was stronger legislation about who can buy a dog or cat and when. What sucks is that the picky, finicky pet providers are inevitably no-kill shelters who will call your landlord, your boss, your bank, come inspect the house the pet will be living in, etc. A puppy mill's only requirement is that you pay for it--it doesn't matter if you're 17 and living on your own for the first time and just getting a puppy because OMG CUTE!! :(

I feel so bad for those pets. I got my grumpy old man cat from a laundry basket in front of safeway because some assholes wouldn't spay/neuter their pets and as such decided to dump the poor kittens in a laundry basket outside on the hottest day of the year because they didn't want to pay the 25$ fee to have the no kill shelter take them. So I grabbed Momo and called the shelter and gave them 25$ myself because gently caress those guys. Poor little kittens didn't deserve that.

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

Klaus88 posted:

How about the entire concept of "outside cats"? Let's let this creature who can easily climb trees and fences outside and poo poo in other people's yards - people who could possible have dogs who may be aggressive towards said creature? Really I'm mad about the goddamn cat poo poo in my back yard. gently caress outside cats.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Crow Jane posted:

If you're not a woman, you can't really complain about sizing in clothes. It's beyond arbitrary, even within the same brand. I have clothes from Target in everything from XS-L, and they all fit the way they're supposed to. Vanity sizing is the stupidest loving thing.

On this note, I'm tall. It would be nice to try on a dress and not have the waistline be somewhere around my ribcage, and not have every skirt turn into a mini.

And also, I hate that every other bra is either push-up or comes with an inch of padding. Not everyone wants to be a titty monster all the time.

I have pairs of pants ranging from size 0 to size 6. They all fit. I have the same problem as you with dresses too, I'll try one on that looks nice on the mannequin and the waist is up in my armpits and my rear end is practically hanging out.

All of my height is in my torso and there seems to be a trend of pants being tailored for 8 foot tall Amazonian women so if I buy an outfit off the rack I will have skin showing between my shirt hem and the top of my pants and I'll be stepping on the last inch or two of pant leg. It's infuriating.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Crow Jane posted:

If you're not a woman, you can't really complain about sizing in clothes.

I think the problem with men's clothing sizes is more a "by comparison" thing. Women's sizes outside of bras tend to be a number that requires checking a lookup table like you're the world's most fashion-conscious Dungeon Master. Any men's size that is given as a number is usually given as a set of numbers in the prevailing system of measurement. In other words, a pair of jeans in size "40/32" should have the same waist circumference and inseam length as a pair of jeans from another brand. Depending on the brand and the store, I can be lucky to find two on the same shelf that fit the same way. You're right, vanity sizing is poo poo, and the idea of so many different size charts that they make FATAL look like a simple instruction book for well-adjusted tabletop aficionados is ridiculous, but when a size is supposed to be linked intrinsically to a particular measurement and it never is outside of the priciest items, it's not fair to say men "can't complain". It's just a different beast.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Websites that are formatted so the actual content takes up less than half of the screen, especially where it's aligned to the left rather than the middle. Worst example I've seen recently is SBS News. Just look at any article on that site. It's terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

On he topic of men's clothing: going to a store where the men's department is about a quarter the size of the women's. The selection is such that you can't find a t-shirt that isn't a ripoff of the absolute most popular style. I started buying my stuff online around the time it weirdly became cool to wear vintage soda logos and then Ed Hardy knock offs.