Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I feel like the thread should be titled "The Witcher Wild Hunt: Just junk your starting armor"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
It's crazy how many people here are experiencing crash problems. Game has been nothing but smooth for me.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

So has anyone picked up any armor that doesn't look like a loving clown costume and isn't level 5 dogshit? I'm still wearing the warrior's leather jacket, and I'm almost level 12 now. I know there's supposed to be earlier witcher armor but gently caress if I can find it, or find anyone on the internet who has seemed to have found anything.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

NomChompsky posted:

So has anyone picked up any armor that doesn't look like a loving clown costume and isn't level 5 dogshit? I'm still wearing the warrior's leather jacket, and I'm almost level 12 now. I know there's supposed to be earlier witcher armor but gently caress if I can find it, or find anyone on the internet who has seemed to have found anything.

The Warrior's Leather Jacket is the upgraded Witcher armor.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

Is there a place you can replace the base gear? I sold it long ago.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
just killed a cockatrice by telekinetically slamming it into the ground then throwing a shrapnel bomb into it's face

goty

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Does anyone more progressed in the game know if there's an equivalent to that Caerme?/awesome steel and silver sword you could get in Witcher 2 you needed mats from previous chapters to get? The ones that were bar none best in the game.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
just died walking off a cliff ringing a bell in my hand because I was looking for a lost goat. Such is the harsh life of a Witcher.

NomChompsky posted:

So has anyone picked up any armor that doesn't look like a loving clown costume

Nope. You just have to pretend you're in disguise the whole game and all the nobles know about it so that's why they don't comment on your moldy potato sack. I think you can craft upgrade the original armor though if you don't sell it.

Spiky Ooze fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 21, 2015

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

It's crazy how many people here are experiencing crash problems. Game has been nothing but smooth for me.

Don't know what's causing it. Might be the display driver giving up the ghost. Music still plays, but the entire game just freezes.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
The level gap between quests is kinda odd.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

I was getting a lot of menu crashes until I followed the disable V-sync and max performance power setting advice, since then I haven't had a single one.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm about 40 hours in so far and am still over whelmed with stuff to do.

Got a full set of witcher gear even though it makes him sleeveless. Also peep my bag full of gold.

Won it playing the high stakes gwent tournament

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Ciaphas posted:

Feels like the game is very console-designed, UI wise. Should I go dig out my 360 controller again?

Nah, the UI just sucks. The combat definitely feels better with a controller to me though.

They really need to relax the falling damage. It's kind of absurd.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

There are other specific witcher armor sets. They're the green ones.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Spiky Ooze posted:

Nope. You just have to pretend you're in disguise the whole game and all the nobles know about it so that's why they don't comment on your moldy potato sack. I think you can craft upgrade the original armor though if you don't sell it.

I'm not talking about the disguise, I'm talking about the regular old armor you pick up all over the place with its stripes and goofy two tones. It's all ugly as loving sin compared to the starting set.

Edit: Meant to combine this post with the one above it, whoops.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

evilmiera posted:

Don't know what's causing it. Might be the display driver giving up the ghost. Music still plays, but the entire game just freezes.

Try downgrading to the pre-GTA V driver if you're using NVIDIA and you don't need SLI support. The newest couple of drivers will randomly hard crash for absolutely no reason.

Verranicus posted:

The level gap between quests is kinda odd.
Experience is really, really heavily crammed into the main quest missions. You won't level without doing them, but just talking to random people in main missions will just pile XP on you hundreds upon hundreds at a time. The flip side is that the side quests and treasure hunts are what will net you ridiculously strong gear and potion stuff. I like it, it's a cool balance where you don't get way too buff doing the basically infinite amount of side things, and you can just keep pushing forward if you really want to see the story.

NomChompsky posted:

I'm not talking about the disguise, I'm talking about the regular old armor you pick up all over the place with its stripes and goofy two tones. It's all ugly as loving sin compared to the starting set.

Edit: Meant to combine this post with the one above it, whoops.
There's only one chest piece that's stuck out as being hideous dogshit and it was worthless by level 5. Here's the hint to big cool gear: buy the treasure maps that merchants are selling.

Thunderbro fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 21, 2015

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
Apologies if this has been asked before, this thread is moving fast. Anyone else have no audio in the cinematic scenes but all the other audio works fine?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I think I'm almost done with the Bloody Baron questline, I think I have to do the witch thing, before I can finish finding clues for his lost wife? Anyway, I've really really liked this questline just, storywise. It's really well written.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I want to ask in advance for you goons who are poopsocking the game and are reasonably far into it to let us all know if and when there's a "point of no return" in regards to the main story. In the interviews the devs said some of the more involved sidequests would vanish if you got too far in the story or finished it or whatever and I don't want to risk missing out.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Bloody Baron questline is fantastic. There's been a lot of goods ones so far but that might be my favorite.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Macaluso posted:

I think I'm almost done with the Bloody Baron questline, I think I have to do the witch thing, before I can finish finding clues for his lost wife? Anyway, I've really really liked this questline just, storywise. It's really well written.

Yeah, the quest line is amazing. It also can hella gently caress with your heartstrings. Thankfully the next step has some really light comedy moments to offset that. The writing in this game is just absolutely out of this world, it doesn't let down at all from what I've played.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I finally got through it with the mind control power.

Autonomous Monster posted:

Axii? Axii is hilarious in some circumstances, but if you're fighting a large number of humanoids in close quarters, Aard is king.

Also: I am finding combat muuuuuuuuuuch easier now I've got to grips with dodging. Sidestepping out of the way of a drowner's lunge before pivoting and bisecting the motherfucker is super fun.

This. I'm 10x better now that I'm not rolling everywhere. The dodge button should really be A and roll B.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I really wanna rebind my light and heavy attacks to R1 and R2 so it's literally just Souls/Bloodborne with infinite stamina

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
The weather really is amazing. Seeing a storm actually moving in from the distance before it starts raining on you is so cool.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Well looks like that unique gwent card in white orchard isn't sold anywhere else. I didn't want to finish that quest anyway.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

I love forest of rain.Foevar...

cheesetriangles posted:

Bloody Baron questline is fantastic. There's been a lot of goods ones so far but that might be my favorite.

Long before I ever encountered the Botchling the name alone was skeeving the hell out of me, and then the reality was so much worse... :cry:

I'm now working on the Crones and had to stop playing to take a breather and digest everything. At Gran's the human hair tapestry is profoundly unsettling for no reason that I can articulate. Tapping into some kind of primal fear poo poo man.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Jimbot posted:

Does anyone know where the control ini is? I find it really unintuitive that I can't set one button to be my be-all use button. Trying to do it in-game just removes it from one action and assigns it to another.

This is from a few pages back, but it's in My Documents\The Witcher 3 and is a file called input.settings

Fair warning, if you're going to screw around with this:

1) Make a backup copy, because it's likely you'll mess something up.

2) Expect things to break if you try to change mouse bindings--stick to the keyboard (if you figure out how to make different mouse bindings work, let me know, but when I tried to bind something different to the mouse, it failed).

3) Know that each key is referenced in multiple places in the file. To be safe, use find/replace instead of trying to do it manually.

4) When you do a find/replace, don't just use the key itself because that string could be part of a longer string, and things will get All hosed Up. For example, let's say you wanted to change the "R" key to something else. "R" is "IK_R" in the file. If you just search/replace "IK_R" it will also replace the "IK_R" in "IK_Right" (which is apparently CDP's name for the goddamn "D" key on your keyboard because it moves you right by default :downs: I have no idea, but it looks like this sort of dumbshittery is only present with "D" and "A" which are default right and left in the file.) Anyway, when you do a find/replace, use the string followed by an equals sign. For "R", you'd search for "IK_R=". This forces an exact match.

5) Know what you're overwriting. If you want to change default forward movement from W to E, realize that E is probably bound to something else already.

6) If you're swapping things, realize that notepad or whatever you're using probably(?) doesn't have find/swap functionality--only find/replace. So if you're swapping, say, "W" with E, you'll have to:
replace all instances of "IK_W=" with some placeholder string ("gently caress this poo poo" works pretty well), then
replace all instances of "IK_E=" with "IK_W=", then
replace all instances of "gently caress this poo poo" with "IK_E="

7) I haven't tried changing any of the locked down controls in the UI list (with the little locks next to them). I'm not sure if this works or not. I mainly just wanted to change movement and get the useful keys a bit less smushed up on one side and succeeded in doing that and making the game feel a lot better for me.

If anyone wants my input.settings file it's here:
http://pjwnex.us/temp/input.settings.txt
(just remove the .txt extension after downloading)
(I am not responsible for your computer telling you to go gently caress yourself and catching on fire, etc. etc.)

GatewayOfLastResort
Oct 11, 2007

I'm saving up such a laugh.
So, found out something interesting while looking for a journeyman blacksmith to forge a Griffin Silver Sword. You can actually unlock the master blacksmith (along with the free sword he makes for you) at a really low level. I did the quest at level 7 despite it being for level 28 or something like that. Thing is, all the combat in that quest is done alongside invincible NPCs. You can let them do all the fighting and just stay away from the enemies (who will one shot you.) It's dumb and probably detracts from the quest but you can do it if you're so inclined. You just need access to Novigrad, the quest giver is in the southwest district.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Psiharis posted:

Long before I ever encountered the Botchling the name alone was skeeving the hell out of me, and then the reality was so much worse... :cry:

I'm now working on the Crones and had to stop playing to take a breather and digest everything. At Gran's the human hair tapestry is profoundly unsettling for no reason that I can articulate. Tapping into some kind of primal fear poo poo man.

This game taps into a lot of dark old world fairy tales. It's wonderful.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Is the ghost lamp used anywhere else outside of those quests? I'm wondering if there's unknown stuff that's not made obvious in the game. The 2nd area is gigantic already.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

I loved Geralt's Cinderella aside. "Well the monster ate everything except one shoe so..." "Shut up Geralt, I'm trying to get my fantasy princess on!"

I did a cursory googling to see if I could pull up anything on Godlings, but didn't have much luck there. Is there a more common English name for whatever that thing was? It's familiar enough to pique my curiosity but after a while, all those old folklore creatures feel that way.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is there a blacksmith in White Orchard at all? Are the Viper swords worth crafting?

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Is there a blacksmith in White Orchard at all? Are the Viper swords worth crafting?

Yes, I think you might have to do his quest before he unlocks though. I'm pretty sure he's the only dwarf in town, not far west of the inn.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Does the hardest difficulty become a lot easier once you have even a few skill points? I moved down to Hard, 3/4, whatever it's name is, but now I'm having a fairly straightforward time of things.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Psiharis posted:

I loved Geralt's Cinderella aside. "Well the monster ate everything except one shoe so..." "Shut up Geralt, I'm trying to get my fantasy princess on!"

I did a cursory googling to see if I could pull up anything on Godlings, but didn't have much luck there. Is there a more common English name for whatever that thing was? It's familiar enough to pique my curiosity but after a while, all those old folklore creatures feel that way.

The bestiary has an entry on it, it is a friendly spirit that is attracted to joy and thus usually only reveals itself to children. It does favors in exchange for respect and old tools, but if an area becomes too populous or if people forget their old accords with it, it will leave. The bestiary entry says they are frequently mistaken for lutins. It is under the bestiary category "relicts", which also has the entry for the Crones. I would say it is a kind of creature that predates most other things in the world like elves and such, but for a real-life basis I would say a brownie or fairy.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Psiharis posted:

Yes, I think you might have to do his quest before he unlocks though. I'm pretty sure he's the only dwarf in town, not far west of the inn.

He only crafts armor?

GatewayOfLastResort
Oct 11, 2007

I'm saving up such a laugh.

Arglebargle III posted:

Yes to both questions. The blacksmith is in the Nilfgaardian camp (the dwarf is an armorsmith) and the viper swords are really good for that level.

GatewayOfLastResort fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 21, 2015

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Arglebargle III posted:

To craft the swords you need to go to the Nilfgaar outpost, the smith there can make them.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

My bad, I somehow missed that smiths didn't do both weapons and armor.

And yeah I meant more like, whatever real-world stories the Godling is based on. I used to read shittons of fairy tales when I was a kid and that critter gives me the old brain itch of "I swear I've heard this before" but I can't place it, so it's driving me a little crazy.

eta: the Allgod however was not subtle at all, and made such a delightful little micro-quest. I can't remember the last time I got so much joy and wonder out of stopping for unexpected quest markers in a game. I don't care about the size of the world so much as the care put into the contents, and so far I cannot think of one quest that felt like pointless filler. Who even cares about the rewards - for the first time in years, I brake for quest markers just because they're fun!

Psiharis fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill
Godfuckingdamn this game is so good. I haven't played a game that has pulled me in this much since The Last of Us. I've got a fresh beer and I'm about to dive back in. Doing the Baron quests.

Seriously, this game is so good. I don't have any quantitative reasons for it, it's just a goddamn good game.