Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

dmboogie posted:

Can't answer your other two questions, but

The way I got the keys was finding out that Rachel posed for Frank to take pictures of her, and then getting Frank to show me the picture of her he keeps in his wallet, after which he sets his keys on the table.
This is the way I did it because asking Frank to see his dog just made him think it was Max's lame excuse to try and buy drugs off him.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I blamed Jefferson because that was the only option that didn't result in me getting suspended, although I'm going to do a new playthrough tonight where I change some things so hopefully I don't get suspended this time when I blame Nathan. When Jefferson and Victoria are talking at the steps at night, Jefferson is really harsh toward Max. He puts all the blame on her and says something like "I got in trouble for listening to a student in trouble."

What an rear end in a top hat. That's totally not what happened at all, dick.

At least to his credit he doesn't act on Victoria's utterly transparent and honestly inept attempt at seduction and then blackmail. I really think there's more to Victoria than we're seeing, but I have absolutely no idea what's going on with her. We know she's a secret nerd. Maybe she's gay too and has a crush on Max. She doesn't know how to act on it so she's mean to her. It's again another common trope in the LGB coming of age story.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Rosalind posted:

At least to his credit he doesn't act on Victoria's utterly transparent and honestly inept attempt at seduction and then blackmail. I really think there's more to Victoria than we're seeing, but I have absolutely no idea what's going on with her. We know she's a secret nerd. Maybe she's gay too and has a crush on Max. She doesn't know how to act on it so she's mean to her. It's again another common trope in the LGB coming of age story.

I think the way she acted towards Max in the second timeline was very weird. It was almost as if Max had taken Victoria's role in the group and Victoria was trying to suck up to her

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

EvilHawk posted:

I think the way she acted towards Max in the second timeline was very weird. It was almost as if Max had taken Victoria's role in the group and Victoria was trying to suck up to her

Definitely got that vibe although it sounded like Courtney is the new head of the vortex club

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

PunkBoy posted:

One detail I noticed during the school break in:
When David starts searching the pool area, he yells out "Search the perimeter!" to no one. Guy never could escape from the war.

This was a pretty good psi-op tactic though. Even though I the player actually knew there was only one security dude I was totally paranoid that there were more of them that were gonna circle around and catch me because of that one line.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Reclaimer posted:

This was a pretty good psi-op tactic though. Even though I the player actually knew there was only one security dude I was totally paranoid that there were more of them that were gonna circle around and catch me because of that one line.

Yeah, same-- even though I knew there was only one security guard employed by the school I was expecting police backup or something because of that line.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Rincewind posted:

Now I have a few questions about other ways things could have gone:

Are there multiple ways to get the keys, or is it always finding out about the dogs, asking Frank to see the dog, and then grabbing the keys and rewinding?

Pour his beans on the floor and tell him to eat like a do- I mean, ask him about his pictures of Rachel.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Rincewind posted:

Yeah, same-- even though I knew there was only one security guard employed by the school I was expecting police backup or something because of that line.

Wait, I'm sure there were two. Madsen comes through the pool, then one comes through the main door?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I laughed at the end when I saw 25% would steal from the Handicap Fund but only 6% would let the dog get run over by a truck

I mean there's lines you just don't cross.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

you should def steal from the handicap fund. it is definitely slush money from the prescotts and chloe needs it bad.

at least I think there's something about nathan prescott volunteering for the disabled or something in his file. I consequently took the whole thing to be a shell charity

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

EvilHawk posted:

Wait, I'm sure there were two. Madsen comes through the pool, then one comes through the main door?

Yeah, I was about to say that at the pool, I thought I remembered someone entering the pool area from the far corner, straight across from the boys' locker room, then Chloe and I ran to the front and saw someone else there, outside the doors? Unless David has teleportation, I thought it was a second guard.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I was quite pleased with the game when Max saw something up on a high shelf and just got a chair instead of loving around with time travel to get at it.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Fans posted:

I was quite pleased with the game when Max saw something up on a high shelf and just got a chair instead of loving around with time travel to get at it.

that was great

Fans posted:

I laughed at the end when I saw 25% would steal from the Handicap Fund but only 6% would let the dog get run over by a truck

there's no way that money is for legit purposes tho

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

AriadneThread posted:

there's no way that money is for legit purposes tho

I mean even if that's true, what it'd be used for isn't for legit purposes either.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
It would be kind of a cool choice and consequence thing to steal the handicap fund in original time-line in order to re-donate it in the new timeline.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This episode had a lot of jokes about how the player uses Max's power/how she uses it/whatever.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
Exclusive footage from Episode 4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=350PQ6LU2sQ

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
This bloody game, I swear to God. Unless they're going to make switching between timelines into a game mechanic, the ending is the laziest cop-out from the story they didn't know how to develop next. If they do plan to introduce that game mechanic, however, and it's done well, my opinion of this game will skyrocket.
People keep saying that choices are more meaningful in this game than in Telltale games, but I don't think that's the case. If you pay enough attention, some things in Walking Dead, for example, constantly crop up in conversations even a season after the fact, some characters die instead of others and/or sooner or later. Maybe you weren't invested in the story as much or you didn't try different options, like you can easily do in LIS, but so far I would say decisions have at best the same impact compared to Telltale, which is minimal. LIS is just a bit more obvious in letting players know what their choices cause. Not necessarily a bad thing, but still.
This episode was better than ep. 2 gameplay-wise but still majorly lacking in that department. Let's just say that no game needs a stealth section, if it's not already central to its gameplay. I liked the part where you get keys from Frank, but other than that there was nothing to even scratch your head about.

Now for speculation and status updates.

Rapist count: Professor Photos, The Janitor (fashion magazines, a silk scarf and Rachel's pictures, drat it, Max, connect the loving dots just this once), Frank Druggo. Maybe Chloe's real dad, because there must be a catch there.

Rachel: dead, wrapped in plastic.

Chloe: definitely not a lezzer as she's got not one, but two willy wrappers on her. To be confirmed: bi??? Not kissed by her best friend on the account of being an egotistic idiot.

Kate: still dead. This was a better Bible quote for the occasion and you know it. RIP in pastel. Or not dead, but just irrelevant now.

Chubby Wiccan Girl: gets hit by everything. Will be killed by squirrels.

Max: calls someone a twee hipster without a shred of self-awareness. Not sure if she deserves Warren, but he'll probably get a friendly shag anyway. Seriously, though, I like how they handle the nice guy trope and how much more unhinged he becomes if you don't want to go to the film marathon with him. I will totally go if I can, though. And awkward teenage sex will ensue hopefully off-camera.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Am I misguided for still defending David?
Also, apparently Kate was/is working for Meals on Wheels. Twin Peaks reference, nice. The amount of Twin Peaks-esque stuff/references is hilarious. Native Americans, big family wanting to own land, a girl who's central to the plot but is never seen.
I really hope Rachel isn't Max. Also hoping for her not to be an rear end in a top hat and actually playing Max somehow when she tries to use her rewind ability. I really hope we get to meet her.

if one had knowledge that someone has rewind ability, what would the best way of proving it/doing a long con against the rewinder? Claim to like things you don't like/act against your personality when prompted, but act in a fashion that indicates you're happy?
Also, holy poo poo in reality Max would probably get really fed up with trying to say the same things for the nth time with actual emotion. when she's rewinded to find out everything she can.

I keep not saving Alyssa *every* time. This time was plausible so I warned her. I feel warning her each time makes Max susceptible for detection or something.
I feel like the whales were there because there was such a radical change in timeline such a long time ago.

I'm also terrible and don't really care how walls-on-crazy they go with your choices mattering. I really like the game regardless, it has a great atmosphere, - legit chill moments. I like the story and want to solve all th mysteries.

edit: I got some serious goose bumps thanks to the final reveal, even if it was kinda corny.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 21, 2015

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I really don't believe that this game is going to make you stick with the new timeline, as that would completely undo way too much setup, and this game feels kinda smart enough not to stumble like that. I feel like one of the big choices you'll have to make (or not make) is going back and letting Chloe's dad die. Though, given your new social status, I wonder if you can leverage that for more info on some characters before heading back to use in your investigation.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Max posted:

I really don't believe that this game is going to make you stick with the new timeline, as that would completely undo way too much setup, and this game feels kinda smart enough not to stumble like that. I feel like one of the big choices you'll have to make (or not make) is going back and letting Chloe's dad die. Though, given your new social status, I wonder if you can leverage that for more info on some characters before heading back to use in your investigation.

I'm still hoping that Maxine is dating Nathan, would let us get more information

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

epitasis posted:

you should def steal from the handicap fund. it is definitely slush money from the prescotts and chloe needs it bad.

at least I think there's something about nathan prescott volunteering for the disabled or something in his file. I consequently took the whole thing to be a shell charity

That's not the point, if you steal it, then it graduates your crime from trespassing and "vandalism" to Grand Theft.

Also screw the very idea of paying off Frank.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Dessel posted:

I feel like the whales were there because there was such a radical change in timeline such a long time ago.

This keeps coming up. Whales use a combination of magnetic poles and the sun to navigate the ocean. There was an eclipse when there shouldn't have been and with everything going crazy-go-nuts in the environment I doubt it's a stretch that their sense of polar north got scrambled; they probably got mixed up and beached themselves. The mass die-off of the birds was foreshadowing of Mother Nature going off its tits, so was the freak snow, and this is too.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Reclaimer posted:

This keeps coming up. Whales use a combination of magnetic poles and the sun to navigate the ocean. There was an eclipse when there shouldn't have been and with everything going crazy-go-nuts in the environment I doubt it's a stretch that their sense of polar north got scrambled; they probably got mixed up and beached themselves. The mass die-off of the birds was foreshadowing of Mother Nature going off its tits, so was the freak snow, and this is too.

time tornado

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Reclaimer posted:

Even if that means he kills Chloe?

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

DivisionPost posted:

Even if that means he kills Chloe?

Max has time powers and Chloe has a gun. I'll take my chances.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Reclaimer posted:

That's not the point, if you steal it, then it graduates your crime from trespassing and "vandalism" to Grand Theft.

Reclaimer posted:

Max has time powers and Chloe has a gun. I'll take my chances.

lol you worried about the former when chloe's gonna do a drat murder with the gun you gave her and spend episode 5 in jail nice thinking dingus

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

epitasis posted:

lol you worried about the former when chloe's gonna do a drat murder with the gun you gave her and spend episode 5 in jail nice thinking dingus

http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/161.209 Oregon's self-defense laws are pretty make-my-day.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Dammit! I killed my drat plant. Even if I get everything else perfect I'll have to restart this just so the plant lives.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Fellwenner posted:

Dammit! I killed my drat plant. Even if I get everything else perfect I'll have to restart this just so the plant lives.

I replayed episode 2 just to change that, and now i am paranoid that changing Warren's grade is going to get him in trouble, so i'll probably change that, I mean i really shouldn't have anyway, an A- is still a great mark

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Ekusukariba posted:

I replayed episode 2 just to change that, and now i am paranoid that changing Warren's grade is going to get him in trouble, so i'll probably change that, I mean i really shouldn't have anyway, an A- is still a great mark

Huh, in my game Warren had a B-, maybe it has to do with helping his homework in episode 2.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I didn't change Warren's grade cause I didn't want to give him a BETTER grade :colbert:

Highly Unnecessary
Dec 24, 2009

Fans posted:

Because there is zero benefit to killing Frank's dog?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Macaluso posted:

I didn't change Warren's grade cause I didn't want to give him a BETTER grade :colbert:

Same, gently caress that creepy-rear end nice guy stalker.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Same, gently caress that creepy-rear end nice guy stalker.

Wish I'd never said yes to that drat Apes marathon. Can't wait to crush his heart under my time-travelling boot.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Highly Unnecessary posted:

Because there is zero benefit to killing Frank's dog?

Actually if you do it does it mean that Frank doesn't see you leave after going over his trailer? He only noticed because the dog was barking in mine.

Highly Unnecessary
Dec 24, 2009

Fans posted:

Actually if you do it does it mean that Frank doesn't see you leave after going over his trailer? He only noticed because the dog was barking in mine.

I just checked and yeah Frank doesn't notice. However at that point you can't rewind no matter what choice you make so you unless you're on a second play-through there is still no obvious benefit to it.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Highly Unnecessary posted:

I just checked and yeah Frank doesn't notice. However at that point you can't rewind no matter what choice you make so you unless you're on a second play-through there is still no obvious benefit to it.

Max does think "That dog could come back" after you do it so the "You might get caught" thing was pretty clear to me. I still ain't gonna do it though, I'm not a monster.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I don't think when Max throws the bone towards the street she does it deliberately.

Pyrolocutus posted:

Yeah, I was about to say that at the pool, I thought I remembered someone entering the pool area from the far corner, straight across from the boys' locker room, then Chloe and I ran to the front and saw someone else there, outside the doors? Unless David has teleportation, I thought it was a second guard.

I didn't even think either of them where David. Think about it. Chloe stole his keys. Obviously she wouldn't do that if he needs them that night. But I am bad with voices so I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Air is lava! posted:

I don't think when Max throws the bone towards the street she does it deliberately.

Not the first time anyway...

Air is lava! posted:

I didn't even think either of them where David. Think about it. Chloe stole his keys. Obviously she wouldn't do that if he needs them that night. But I am bad with voices so I don't know.

I'm pretty sure the Guard who watches the Truck drive off isn't David. Else why would deleting the message of their Answering Machine do anything?

• Locked thread