Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
lol this is the best worst thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I miss the rape implied rape chat :(

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Pfft, the little kid throwing fireballs would own your sticks and penis blades.
Also the mountain was slow poisoned so we could give the re animator something to do. Fast poison would always be better so you can watch them die.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Now I see a lot of people talk about kids throwing fireballs. Was I high, or was the child of the forest throwing pouches of something that ignited mid air? Like I'm sure it's magical, but I swear it wasnt just a fireball wizards spell.

E. I'm Prolly wrong.

Baldbeard fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 21, 2015

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Baldbeard posted:

Now I see a lot of people talk about kids throwing fireballs. Was I high, or was the child of the forest throwing pouches of something that ignited mid air? Like I'm sure it's magical, but I swear it wasnt just a fireball wizards spell.

E. I'm Prolly wrong.

You aren't wrong. The children of the forest bought the pouches off this master wizard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ekugPKqFw

WHERE ARE YOUR SWORDS NOW?

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Boogaleeboo posted:

Which is conversely one of the few reasons to bother with a longsword over a short sword or dagger. If you aren't fighting someone in any type of armor, why would you bother with a longer sword at all? Sword fighting between dudes is mostly bullshit as far as practicality goes, it's largely just wouldn't this make a cooler story? By which I don't just mean in actual fiction, I mean the reason it happened in real life. You carry a sword to attack people in your day to day life because you want to be the type of person that carries a sword to attack people in your day to day life, not because you actually care about defending yourself in the best manner possible. You want to see someone having an epic duel, not tripping someone to the ground and stabbing them 15 times in the dick with a knife. Even though actual books of medieval tactics include such moves as "Trip this guy and stab him in the dick 15 times" or "Throw rocks in his face, stab him in the dick 15 times" or "Stab yourself in the dick 15 times to horrify the enemy, stab him in the dick 15 times when he gets distracted".

There's no level on which the image of sword based combat pretty much any of you had was practical or common, which is why it went away before the pike did. It was largely affectation, be it in the western European chivalric tradition or in the Eastern tradition of the samurai. Even Musashi used what is effectively a big stick in his most famous duel to bash to death a man who wielded a two handed sword at a master level. Man was no fool.

sorry for not putting a space there when I was typing long swords, but I was referring more towards the historical idea of the "long" sword like celtic la tene culture style long blades and the various swords in european history that evolved from that style (also if you are refering to the gladius as a "jumped up dagger" first it wasn't really the weapon of their cavalry, and second it was quite a long blade that could be used for chopping and is not nearly as short as people make it out to be.). I think the idea that the saber is some how not a sword when it evolved to do the same thing that european "long" blades and broadswords did and was handled in the same fashion (most sabers also most definitely could be used as thrusting weapons so acting like it's only a glaive is very silly) but I guess I just was sort of lumping those in because that makes sense for me and doesn't for you so fair enough, but you are extremely discounting the effectiveness of the long/broad swords and their use in battle. The reach of a long sword, as well as it's ability to last through a battle were why it was universally favored among the nobility of europe for over a thousand years. The idea that all these people were just doing it to look cool is ridiculous. The long broad sword was the pre-eminent weapon of battle for both infantry and cavalry in dark age europe even if it wasn't the most numerous. It was the most valued not just because of its expense but because it could thrust and cut and it had the ability to chop through the hafts of pole weapons and wooden shields and continue being useful throughout the the entirety of the battle as long as the blade wasn't bent or broken (although you see some more expensive and elaborate axes and spears having bracing strips of metal on the hafts for just these reasons). Also this is contemporary as the Roman army, which remained the pre-eminent fighting force in Europe up until the fall of the West (and well beyond with the East's army) was completely phasing out their gladius short swords with long style spatha swords for both infantry and cavalry. https://books.google.com/books?id=dWp-AwAAQBAJ&dq=ancient+weapons+in+britain I'm dumb with forum code stuff so I don't know how to link to the actual book but this guy has some good stuff on the use of such weapons on the dark age battlefields of Britain and there practical importance to the various germanic wielders of long swords during the migration period. This is more my area of expertise than late medieval ages, but the same holds.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Baldbeard posted:

Evocation [Fire]
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Area: 20-ft.-radius spread
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex half
Spell Resistance: Yes

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Boogaleeboo posted:

Even Musashi used what is effectively a big stick in his most famous duel to bash to death a man who wielded a two handed sword at a master level. Man was no fool.

Man also used swords in literally every other fight he was ever in.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Boogaleeboo posted:

The fact that thousands died in longer sword duels is pure culture, not anything to do with practicality.

This is how dumb you are.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Boogaleeboo posted:

Even Musashi used what is effectively a big stick in his most famous duel to bash to death a man who wielded a two handed sword at a master level. Man was no fool.
Yeah, Miyamoto Musashi may have beaten to death a fully armed and armoured samurai with a stick when he was twelve years old. Given that the primary source for a lot of the feats of Miyamoto Musashi is a book written by a certain Miyamoto Musashi, I'd take it with a grain of salt if I were you. :mmmhmm:

Also, the arms and armour of 16th century Japan weren't comparable to the same era European equipment, so you can't compare like for like and be done. Japan just didn't have the iron, whereas Europe was comparatively overflowing with good quality steel. To conserve their good steels for the edges of their swords, the Japanese were still heat welding their blades together like hobos for gently caress's sake. That's something Europeans stopped doing shortly after the Migration Era, 500 years previously.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 05:44 on May 21, 2015

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

BlackJosh posted:

It was the most valued not just because of its expense but because it could thrust and cut and it had the ability to chop through the hafts of pole weapons and wooden shields and continue being useful throughout the the entirety of the battle as long as the blade wasn't bent or broken (although you see some more expensive and elaborate axes and spears having bracing strips of metal on the hafts for just these reasons).

Cutting through a polearm can be done but is not as easy to do as it might seem.

https://youtu.be/LQjJavcsNjA

But wooden shields are very strong against swords and leave them about as blunt as a spoon assuming they don't just get completely stuck. Its the same reason you don't hack away at a log outside with a sword.

pasaluki fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 21, 2015

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

pasaluki posted:

Cutting through a polearm can be done but is not as easy to do as it might seem.

https://youtu.be/LQjJavcsNjA

But wooden shields are very strong against swords and leave them about as blunt as a spoon assuming they don't just get completely stuck. Its the same reason you don't hack away at a log outside with a sword.

Well I'm just going off what the people who have done the archaeology and actually looked over the actual weapons that were actually used have to say, but fair enough.

Edit: Sorry for how snippy this comes off. I did have a link that wasn't me but a guy a who's actually done the work making this claim in my last post so I'm not just talking out my rear end here.

BlackJosh fucked around with this message at 07:17 on May 21, 2015

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

My foresight upon this controversial scene shall depend upon what Sansa does next.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I want the same scene like Margaery but replacing Cersei with Myranda and the other ladies with Roose and Walda.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Baldbeard posted:

E. I'm Prolly wrong.

I think it was the same kind of fairy from True Blood throwing the same kind of exploding fairy ball.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
To people like that editor whining about the show diverging from the books, I read most of the first book and decided to just watch the show because while GRRM is very creative and comes up with a good story, i didn't think he was a very good writer.

Whereas HBO are extremely good at making TV shows, so having to pick between so-so books and HBO solid gold TV, I prefer to experience his story through the superior medium.

Since GRRM is involved in making the show and since he might not finish writing the books, I consider the show to be the actual, updated, valid canon and not the books. Where the show deviates from the books, the books are wrong and superseded, because the show is better than the books and GRRM is involved in both.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

cjg posted:

https://us.beamly.com/tv-news/2015/...grrmeditoranger

Editor not happy with changes. She's in for more pain, I bet.

Considering the hot mess the last two books were, she doesn't have much of a leg to stand on.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
They are two different mediums expressing two different stories two different ways. Apples n Oranges folks.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

The actual author's version of the story is not the main canon because something, something, books are scarey.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
I just wish most of Loras's scenes did more to build him up as a character than 'dude who likes exposition and sex at the same time', and he had more dialogue or scenes outside of bedrooms.

Sexposition is okay maybe once, but imagine if all of Daeny's political and moral conflicts were discussed while humping Daario.

Actually wait would that make Daeny's sections of the show better or worse.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Jesto posted:

I just wish most of Loras's scenes did more to build him up as a character than 'dude who likes exposition and sex at the same time', and he had more dialogue or scenes outside of bedrooms.

Sexposition is okay maybe once, but imagine if all of Daeny's political and moral conflicts were discussed while humping Daario.

Actually wait would that make Daeny's sections of the show better or worse.

Way better, give me that Daario booty.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
I hope Tyrion gets to act as Jorah's pre fight hype man.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Baldbeard posted:

The actual author's version of the story is not the main canon because something, something, books are scarey.

Because he sold the rights before he came up with the second half of the story.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

It's wrong to hope there's a midget division for the fight pits isn't it?

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Much rather he just distract the ref and carry around a tennis racket for no real reason.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
One of her tweets said something like "read the books if you want to know how the story REALLY goes" and I so very much wanted to reply with "Oh, so the story of Game of Thrones, the TV series is in the books too? I thought that was just the story of A Song of Ice and Fire, the book series". Out her than Season 1, it's been pretty blindingly obvious (to me at least) that the show has been doing its own thing and telling its own, very similar in many respects, story.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

That would honestly allow for some pretty amusing moments before hand.
"Okay, so, I need ideas for how to make you seem tough. The line about the blood rider was good, so I might-"
"That actually happened."
"You're joking."
"Nope. I actually had armour, he did not. Would the time that I and two other men took over a city in a single night be any good?"
"Oh now you're just loving with me."

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I think there are a few interesting things about the scene and its specific relationship to the viewer:

Firstly, would this scene be as horrifying if not for Theon’s presence? The viewer is asked to identify with him as it is his perspective as powerless onlooker that we are actually shown the most. Very little of the sexual assault is shown - the scene indeed ends with Theon’s horrified face. The significance of Theon’s castration cannot be overstated in relation to this scene - Theon had identified through his virility and masculinity and has now had this aspect of himself stripped away (to become Reek) and is also powerless like the viewer to change what can happen in this scene. The most uncomfortable aspect of the scene is not the events themselves (as terrible as they are) but the self-awareness the scene instils as the viewer is asked to reflect on their own complictness on the cruelty used on the show as entertainment.

Secondly, the fact that the scene is “spectated” deals with a more specific aspect that I think Game of Thrones is trying to get across. The arranged marriage between Ramsay and Sansa in the scene is a commonplace feature in the universe of Game of Thrones. In many of these scenarios the parties, especially the women are unwilling pawns who would not be considered to a sexual relationship with the man they are marrying but are expected to fulfil the awful “bedding” tradition as such. Moreover, we need to consider what Ramsay represents - he is arguably the most monstrous character currently on the show (even more overtly horrible than Joffrey) but it is the systematic norms operating on these characters - the system of exploitation for power that allow people like Ramsay to do such things - that are the true “evil” on the show. As George RR Martin himself states the narrative may have dragons and magic but he’s very much tapping into the horrors people are capable of in our world. How we interpret the relationship between Game of Thrones to our own society is up to individual taste, however.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Personally I think it's a metaphor of man's inhumanity to man.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
I would be well satisfied if the ending had the White Walkers killing the last human, and then we were shown a montage of their communist utopia where males asked a females permission to put the cock inside them.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

tooterfish posted:

To conserve their good steels for the edges of their swords, the Japanese were still heat welding their blades together like hobos for gently caress's sake.

The hobos in your city are pretty intense.

Isn't it a problem to have a pit fighter with an intensely infectious disease? Seems like a poor investment; when the pit fighter officials do weigh-in, these dwarfcock pirates will be poo poo out of luck.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have now decided that this world is another sideways universe and Eko is dealing with his past as a drug mobster by belittling himself into a dwarfcock wrangler :lost:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I want jorah to brand his victims in the fighting pit with stoneskin like you do in shadows of mordor

"get plagued, fuckhead"

Plavski fucked around with this message at 13:42 on May 21, 2015

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

He probably won't even get to fight. There will be a training montage then he will step out into the ring and it will quick pan up to Dany who screams "oh what in the actual gently caress, seize him" and then he is dragged away.

Man if she is in the audience they better not pass up their chance for a standard three stooges spit take.

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax
A lot of people talk about how Ramsay might get killed by Theon or Sansa, but it is pretty obvious to me that if he is killed, it will be by Miranda's hand.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Obligatory Handle posted:

A lot of people talk about how Ramsay might get killed by Theon or Sansa, but it is pretty obvious to me that if he is killed, it will be by Miranda's hand.

She might just betray him and only be indirectly responsible. I'm still betting on Brienne. She's terrible at keeping people alive but she's amazingly talented at killing them.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
Well that was dark. Never has my avatar been more appropriate. Also kinda sad about that pope dude, he seemed cool but now he's throwing a dude in jail for being gay :(

e: Oh and I know it was last episode but I watched two at once, what was up with Dany deciding to marry some randomer in Meereen? She didn't even ask if he was interested, it was bizarre.

Infinite Monkeys fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 21, 2015

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Well that was dark. Never has my avatar been more appropriate. Also kinda sad about that pope dude, he seemed cool but now he's throwing a dude in jail for being gay :(

No no no, not for being gay, for the act of buggery. What do you take him for, some kind of bigot?!

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Exioce posted:

I would be well satisfied if the ending had the White Walkers killing the last human, and then we were shown a montage of their communist utopia where males asked a females permission to put the cock inside them.

It turns out the White Walkers are just sick of Westeros's poo poo, too

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I think there are a few interesting things about the scene and its specific relationship to the viewer:

Firstly, would this scene be as horrifying if not for Theon’s presence? The viewer is asked to identify with him as it is his perspective as powerless onlooker that we are actually shown the most. Very little of the sexual assault is shown - the scene indeed ends with Theon’s horrified face. The significance of Theon’s castration cannot be overstated in relation to this scene - Theon had identified through his virility and masculinity and has now had this aspect of himself stripped away (to become Reek) and is also powerless like the viewer to change what can happen in this scene. The most uncomfortable aspect of the scene is not the events themselves (as terrible as they are) but the self-awareness the scene instils as the viewer is asked to reflect on their own complictness on the cruelty used on the show as entertainment.

Secondly, the fact that the scene is “spectated” deals with a more specific aspect that I think Game of Thrones is trying to get across. The arranged marriage between Ramsay and Sansa in the scene is a commonplace feature in the universe of Game of Thrones. In many of these scenarios the parties, especially the women are unwilling pawns who would not be considered to a sexual relationship with the man they are marrying but are expected to fulfil the awful “bedding” tradition as such. Moreover, we need to consider what Ramsay represents - he is arguably the most monstrous character currently on the show (even more overtly horrible than Joffrey) but it is the systematic norms operating on these characters - the system of exploitation for power that allow people like Ramsay to do such things - that are the true “evil” on the show. As George RR Martin himself states the narrative may have dragons and magic but he’s very much tapping into the horrors people are capable of in our world. How we interpret the relationship between Game of Thrones to our own society is up to individual taste, however.

I absolutely defend their artist merit on this one, gently caress Tumblr's collective heart attack, hilarious as it was.

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Now I'm just picturing him like Humungous's hype man from the Road Warrior. "The Ayatollah of Rock'n'Rolla!"

At least he's not trapped with The Mountain or they could literally become Master Blaster.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

Exioce posted:

No no no, not for being gay, for the act of buggery. What do you take him for, some kind of bigot?!

That's true.

I still can't get over Lancel going from this foppish wuss to BURN THE HERETIC

• Locked thread