Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

colas posted:

He thought he was posting on reddit.

I know it's boo/hiss/another website etc., but that would have looked like a normal sized box without that banana. Clearly SA just needs its own reference object. The common hand grenade, perhaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

lol loving hell are those real titles

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

dovetaile posted:

I bought more books!
Queer America: A People's GLBT History of the United States, Loving Mountains, Loving Men (Ethnicity & Gender In Appalachia), Edge: Travels of an Appalachian Leather Bear, Witch Way to the Mall, and Strip Mauled (Supernatural Suburbia).

I can't tell if these are all LGBT literature or mixed with actual mountain/outdoor pieces.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

App13 posted:

The trick is to get one cheap from a failed startup. A guy near me sells Aerons for $150 and Leaps for $300, I went with the aeron

Ugh, a new Leap around here is $1400.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

gmq posted:

Ugh, a new Leap around here is $1400.

I'm halfway tempted to sell the aeron and pick up a leap. The aeron is nice but I can't lounge in it at all.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

dovetaile posted:

I bought more books!
Queer America: A People's GLBT History of the United States, Loving Mountains, Loving Men (Ethnicity & Gender In Appalachia), Edge: Travels of an Appalachian Leather Bear, Witch Way to the Mall, and Strip Mauled (Supernatural Suburbia).

It's like you put in 3 or 4 search terms and just selected every related item in the Amazon recommendations bar.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

dovetaile posted:

I bought more books!

I'm sorry you're going to such a lovely college

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

TraderStav posted:

I can't tell if these are all LGBT literature or mixed with actual mountain/outdoor pieces.
The first three are LGBT nonfiction and the last two are suburban fantasy. Also I'm sensing a lot of shop-shaming ITT.

zVxTeflon posted:

I'm sorry you're going to such a lovely college
Haha, no these aren't textbooks. These are books for pleasure reading.

David Copperfield posted:

It's like you put in 3 or 4 search terms and just selected every related item in the Amazon recommendations bar.
The ones about Appalachia are by the same guy. And no, I just spend a lot of time in the LGBTQ section.

dovetaile has a new favorite as of 00:10 on May 21, 2015

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I bought a book too, Paper Towns by John Green. Wanna reread it before the movie comes out.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I know it's boo/hiss/another website etc., but that would have looked like a normal sized box without that banana. Clearly SA just needs its own reference object. The common hand grenade, perhaps.

I'm not boo'ing. I've only seen the banana for scale thing on reddit.

colas has a new favorite as of 03:28 on May 21, 2015

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

colas posted:

I'm not boo'ing. I've only seen the banana for scale thing on reddit.

They want $11 for that? They're like $3 or $4 at the brewery. I got one for free when I bought a pint of Lagunitas at my homebrew shop.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Dick Trauma posted:

So... are you enjoying your extra großer Reichweite?

I enjoy it very much, the extra big Reichweite really satisfies my needs :D, 12m and even two walls isn't a problem now. Pretty amazing (although why you'd put a super-bright red light onto your wall wart is a mystery to me. But an old USB-charger solved that oddity).

Decius has a new favorite as of 07:06 on May 21, 2015

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
In my never-ending quest to occupy every nook and cranny of kitchen space with utensils and vessels, this made its way into my home today:

So many veggies shall be sliced in my future!

Also got this because I am a sucker for Cubicle 7's entire line of Lord of the Rings RPG stuff:

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

ibntumart posted:

So many veggies finger shall be sliced in my future!

ftfy

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
That's why I made sure to buy a mandoline with a finger guard!

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Because I have a few weeks between school to read up on stuff.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I signed up for a class in a community college. It's only $150, but the textbook costs $200.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

tools

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I signed up for a class in a community college. It's only $150, but the textbook costs $200.

Written by the tutor/professor no doubt. Bastards.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

rockcity posted:

They want $11 for that? They're like $3 or $4 at the brewery. I got one for free when I bought a pint of Lagunitas at my homebrew shop.

Yeah, it was a bad purchase. They give stuff like this, t-shirts away to bartenders and liquor stores.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

ibntumart posted:

That's why I made sure to buy a mandoline with a finger guard!

You say that, but mark my words, there will be a time when you decide that you don't need to use the guard or want to cut something closer than you can when using the guard, and you WILL cut your finger. It's a rite of passage among mandoline slicer owners.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Anyone use a metal mesh or some other kind of safety glove with a mandoline? The couple of times I've used my mandoline so far, the guard's been a pain in the rear end, but I've seen the results of not using it. Is a safety glove good enough protection? Is it noticeably less unwieldy than the guard?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Glottis posted:

You say that, but mark my words, there will be a time when you decide that you don't need to use the guard or want to cut something closer than you can when using the guard, and you WILL cut your finger. It's a rite of passage among mandoline slicer owners.

It usually happens right after someone tells you to watch your fingers.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Get these if you don't want to use the guard that came with it AND want to protect your fingers.

Also, the guards the Benriner mandolines come with are crap, and just a hair above completely useless.

Also also, your mandoline demands blood and will not rest until you give it some.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Toast Museum posted:

Anyone use a metal mesh or some other kind of safety glove with a mandoline? The couple of times I've used my mandoline so far, the guard's been a pain in the rear end, but I've seen the results of not using it. Is a safety glove good enough protection? Is it noticeably less unwieldy than the guard?

I just use a Terry cloth kitchen towel and I've never had any issues.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Get these if you don't want to use the guard that came with it AND want to protect your fingers.

I actually already have a pair. I had been wavering whether using them with the mandoline might be a bit extreme, but not anymore.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Also, the guards the Benriner mandolines come with are crap, and just a hair above completely useless.

Are there third party guards of higher quality?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ibntumart posted:

Are there third party guards of higher quality?

I don't think so. I think most pros just make sure they have bandaids and finger cots on hand. The glove is probably the best compromise though.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Glottis posted:

After the third time my aunt cut her finger on hers, my uncle took it from her and threw it outside into the snow. He forgot he did it and it sat there until spring until the snow melted and he found it.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I always just use a clean kitchen towel to grip whatever I'm cutting. It's easier than the stupid grips and a lot of a pain in the rear end than putting a glove on.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
New Blu-Ray player.

Now I can stream my Amazon Prime account to my TV as well as YouTube, etc.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Picked up a 7.2cu.ft. chest freezer off craigslist that was in nearly new condition. Gonna use it as a fermentation chamber and eventually as a keezer once I get some kegging equipment.

:homebrew:

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

rockcity posted:

After the third time my aunt cut her finger on hers, my uncle took it from her and threw it outside into the snow. He forgot he did it and it sat there until spring until the snow melted and he found it.
I misread this as your aunt cut her finger off and your uncle threw that outside.

Got this, I guess.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

good times shall be had.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

BumikiIsFreaky posted:

Because I have a few weeks between school to read up on stuff.

I'm not much of a book reader anymore but this definitely has me curious. Anyone read/recommend this?

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.

Rolo posted:

I'm not much of a book reader anymore but this definitely has me curious. Anyone read/recommend this?

I heard the author interviewed on Terry Gross. I plan on buying the book once I'm through my current stack.

http://www.npr.org/2015/03/30/396365659/how-one-nation-didnt-become-under-god-until-the-50s-religious-revival

colas
Feb 14, 2007

ChocNitty posted:

good times shall be had.

Someone tell me what the deal is with kratom, is it even worth trying? I'm interested in it as well as Kava, but I know gently caress all about both.

colas has a new favorite as of 03:13 on May 22, 2015

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
I learned about kratom a couple weeks ago when a patient with schizophrenia smoked it and went into a wild psychotic state

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Opioid posted:

I learned about kratom a couple weeks ago when a patient with schizophrenia smoked it and went into a wild psychotic state

So you're saying it's good poo poo?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

kloa posted:

So you're saying it's good poo poo?

sounds like good poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colas
Feb 14, 2007

wild = good right? girls going wild is good. I'm sold.