Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I just watch the movie The Way Back, where some people from several different nations escape a Siberian gulag in 1940. The group goes south to the Mongolian border and they think this makes them home free. Then they see pictures of Stalin and some Mongolian guy and figure out that Mongolia is communist too. The problem is that Ed Harris seems remarkably well informed about the state of surrounding countries for someone who's been in a gulag. He knows that China is at war with the Japanese and how the Soviet Union and Germany divided up Poland. But he didn't know that Mongolia has been a communist country since 1924.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I don't think a BW movie can work as a superhero film because she's not really a superhero. She's basically a spy.

To be completely honest, even with as much comic reading I did as a kid and do now, the ONLY "arch villain" I can think of is ANOTHER spy who uses the same code name except she's blond, and wears a tight catsuit and kills people.

It's not the fact there's not a BW movie out or coming out, it's the fact she's kind of a poo poo character who has no backstory to work off of. Most of the time in the comics she's either saving someone, on the run from shield, or boning Daredevil.

That's the whole point. She was included because her backstory can easily be explained or inferred without a whole 20 minute sequence about how she got her powers/abilities and motivations. Like imagine if Scarlet Witch or Captain Marvel showed up in Iron man 2 instead and they were zapping people with their powers. They would need to devote a significant chunk of screentime to her backstory about why this person can fly and/or shoot laser beams out of their hands. Same reason they used Hawkeye really.

Also because marvel has like zero interesting non-mutant female superheroes.

Away all Goats has a new favorite as of 11:37 on May 20, 2015

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

She also bones Hawkeye! She does have the red room and that has been already introduced in Agent Carter.

As a massive superhero fan the Red Room really does come across as a low-rent Bourne-style riff. I mean I love Black Widow as a character and Scarlett Johansson always looks great in that black catsuit but there just isn't enough meat on her character as written to do a full feature. She's important and deserves her own arcs and focus and good treatment, but she's like Martian Manhunter or a beefed up Maria Hill-- only really there to help beef up the character roster and add flavor.

There should be a Captain Marvel movie with Monica Rambeau involved to some capacity, a She-Hulk movie with Tigra involved to some capacity, a Ms. Marvel TV series, and at least a Spider-Woman Netflix show. Those are all characters who are more proven to carry as a central protagonist.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Gaunab posted:

She-Hulk would be a better character to get her own movie since she would have a bigger effect on the movie universe as a whole plus they could make it part courtroom comedy and I'd get to watch people get pissed off because of it.

I dream of a world in which not only is a She Hulk movie made, it's also a compelling courtroom drama on the level of A Few Good Men.

Imagine the famous "You can't handle the truth!" scene, but with a nine foot tall green woman wearing spandex.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Gorilla Salad posted:

nine foot tall green woman wearing spandex.

We'll you certainly have my attention, now :pervert:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Went and saw Fury Road last night. It was amazing.

The only gripe I had was that I only understood about 10% of what Max said. I know he's supposed to be guttural and mumble but I got nothing from him. Maybe it was the sound at the theater? Anyone else have his problem?

I didn't have problems understanding anyone else for what it's worth.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I couldn't hear like 90% of the dialogue, and I know it's the theater because their sound always sucks.

I don't think any of it really mattered though.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Away all Goats posted:

Like imagine if Scarlet Witch or Captain Marvel showed up in Iron man 2 instead and they were zapping people with their powers. They would need to devote a significant chunk of screentime to her backstory about why this person can fly and/or shoot laser beams out of their hands.

I disagree. If the movie's closely following a protagonist (Stark in this case), I'd love to have the same incomplete information as the character. Someone shows up and suddenly weird poo poo starts happening? The protagonist is barely able to hold his own and you don't even know what the limits are to the other character's abilities? Don't know who they are or what their motivation is or what kind of weaknesses they may have? Sounds like the beginning of actual tension if you write it well. There's nothing wrong with having some mystery in a story, especially in the MCU where we've been explicitly told that all kinds of crazy things can exist for any number of reasons

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

MindlessHavok posted:

Went and saw Fury Road last night. It was amazing.

The only gripe I had was that I only understood about 10% of what Max said. I know he's supposed to be guttural and mumble but I got nothing from him. Maybe it was the sound at the theater? Anyone else have his problem?

I didn't have problems understanding anyone else for what it's worth.

Interestingly, Max was perhaps the only character whose dialog I could consistently understand. Like the other poster, I couldn't understand the majority of it, but it seemed like it didn't matter too much.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I didn't have any problem with Max's (or anyone else's) dialog.

One issue I did have with the movie though is how near the end Immortan Joe dies really quickly for the main villain of the movie.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Monica Rambeau
Thanks for the reminder that there will never be a nextwave movie :smith:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Man, Tom Cavanaugh as Machine Man would be amazing.

You could get Vinnie Jones as The Captain.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

muscles like this? posted:

One issue I did have with the movie though is how near the end Immortan Joe dies really quickly for the main villain of the movie.

I thought that was brilliant. Just like the movie, that death happens unexpectedly quick and is like a sharp slap in the face. It denies the audience the schadenfreude of "seeing the villain realize all was for naught" and resisted the opportunity to do the annoying death monologue.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Why? His death was suitably operatic with his distinguishing face-mask being ripped off in a grisly display of schadenfreude, and it wasn't like there was ever a lot of deep interplay necessary between him and the other characters given how all the tension came from him trying to kill or otherwise bring the protagonists to heel. He also was prone to gradiosity but clearly only as it suited his own ends, given the lack of verbal vamping and only giving any real speech when pumping Nux up to kill Furiosa. Besides which by that point adrenaline had been settling in from the third act and much like the characters it's a simple relief to have the bastard die even if part of everyone really wants to see him suffer.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Away all Goats posted:

Also because marvel has like zero interesting non-mutant female superheroes.

Apart from the one who will be headlining her own Netflix series later this year. :colbert:

E: also Dagger is fairly interesting when written well, because her secret origin is drugs.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gorilla Salad posted:

I dream of a world in which not only is a She Hulk movie made, it's also a compelling courtroom drama on the level of A Few Good Men.

Imagine the famous "You can't handle the truth!" scene, but with a nine foot tall green woman wearing spandex.

"DID YOU ORDER THE CODE RED?"

"You're scaring me, m'am :smith:"

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

My Lovely Horse posted:

Thanks for the reminder that there will never be a nextwave movie :smith:

You think it'll be a Netflix original series then? I mean come on, the theme is already written.

Also no Vinnie Jones as the captain is from loving Brooklyn.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Fil5000 posted:

You think it'll be a Netflix original series then? I mean come on, the theme is already written.

Also no Vinnie Jones as the captain is from loving Brooklyn.

Actually a Captain with a heavy cockney accent screaming about being from Brooklyn and the discrepancy never being addressed would be perfect. It's not like Nextwave ever made a lot of sense to start.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I didn't have any problem with Max's (or anyone else's) dialog.

This, except that fat accountant. God I wanted him to die horribly.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

darkwasthenight posted:

Actually a Captain with a heavy cockney accent screaming about being from Brooklyn and the discrepancy never being addressed would be perfect. It's not like Nextwave ever made a lot of sense to start.

Captain Seppo

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

This, except that fat accountant. God I wanted him to die horribly.

He did. Weren't you watching?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

yeah he just got shot. it felt like they were setting him up for a more elaborate death to me.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

yeah he just got shot. it felt like they were setting him up for a more elaborate death to me.

There is no justice. Only survival.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Like Max jamming the dude's big gout-ey foot onto the gas pedal and causing a huge explosion (IIRC) from the ensuing crash? It seemed like a suitably metal way to go.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Arrath posted:

Like Max jamming the dude's big gout-ey foot onto the gas pedal and causing a huge explosion (IIRC) from the ensuing crash? It seemed like a suitably metal way to go.

it was a good consolation prize

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
The Mad Max series has always had the villains go out just like the henchmen - quick and brutal. Toecutter's death wasn't even the climax of the movie and it's framed just like the deaths of the rest of his gang. Humungous dies because his car gets set on fire and he's forced to stop and doesn't realize that Max had busted a 180 while he's playing catchup. Auntie Entity walks away unharmed. It's usually the lead villain's favored henchman (Johnny The Boy, Wez, Ironbar, Rictus) who tends to get the more spectacular death.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Jedit posted:

The painful part of Ramsey and Sansa wasn't the fact of the marital rape. It was that he made Theon watch. Drogo was at least slightly concerned that he was hurting Dany, and even the rapists at Craster's Keep and among the Dothraki didn't care what the women they raped felt. To Ramsey, though, it's quite clear that Sansa's suffering is what he really wants and he's also taking pleasure from making Theon suffer by forcing him to watch.

What's that now? The worst aspect of the teenage girl's rape was the man who had to watch it happen from across the room?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I'd really like to see a decent Modesty Blaise film.

:agreed:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Human Tornada posted:

What's that now? The worst aspect of the teenage girl's rape was the man who had to watch it happen from across the room?

I saw it as adding insult to injury.

Sansa hates Theon, and Theon is haunted by the things he did to her family when he took Winterfell. So by making him watch, Ramsay's further asserting his dominance over both of them.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
So, I watched the first two Mad Maxs' in preperation for Fury Road. Is it just me or is Lord Humongous' gang either just as sympathetic or more than the good guys? Did I miss an atrocity scene? Yeah they hung some of their enemies on their cars, but the way Max was treated by his "allies" until they suddenly had a use for him is at least equal to that and arguably worse.

WickedHate has a new favorite as of 07:21 on May 21, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

WickedHate posted:

So, I watched the first two Mad Maxs' in preperation for Fury Road. Is it just me or is Lord Humongous' gang either just as sympathetic or more than the good guys? Did I miss an atrocity scene? Yeah they hung some of their enemies on their cars, but the way Max was treated by his "allies" until they suddenly had a use for him is at least equal to that and arguably worse.

It's a post-apocalyptic wasteland where food, water and fuel are scarce. Everyone's a shitlord.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

KozmoNaut posted:

It's a post-apocalyptic wasteland where food, water and fuel are scarce. Everyone's a shitlord.

I can understand that and accept that answer in universe, but it didn't seem like it was meant to come across that way in the film. Like it has this GI Joe thing going on with the factions where Max's side was "normal" people wearing "normal" clothes and the others dressed ridiculous and acted a little more unhinged(but actually seemed nicer). The narrative painted it as Good vs Evil, Order vs Chaos, yadda yadda, but that just doesn't line up with what's actually depicted.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Did you miss Humungous' crew raping at least one victim on screen, murdering several others who attempted to flee and attempting to kill Max for his belongings at the start of the movie? The worst the refinery crew does is not trust this guy who wandered into their refinery, and who could very well be working for the marauders attacking them. They even give him medical care after he blows off their pleas to help them when they could have just said 'welp, sucks for you' and pitched him over the wall.

Everyone's a bit morally gray in that movie, but their shade of gray is definitely a lot lighter than Humungous. Even his speech imploring them to 'just walk away' is followed by him calming Wez down by saying that they'll kill the refinery crew later, implying that he had no intention of really allowing it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

Sansa hates Theon, and Theon is haunted by the things he did to her family when he took Winterfell. So by making him watch, Ramsay's further asserting his dominance over both of them.

It amuses me that people are still raving about two particular scenes of rape and how this went over the line, when it's loving season 5 and in season one alone they show rape, incest, attempted child murder, more incest....and that's just the first episode!

Seriously you cannot apply modern day social norms to Game of Thrones or any movie based loosely in nonfictional history, like about slavery. I hate it when people try to. By GoT and gently caress, even some places present day, once a woman is married her husband cannot legally rape her because that entire body is his to do with as he wants. It doesn't make it right. But no one claimed Ramsay was a good guy.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Wild T posted:

Did you miss Humungous' crew raping at least one victim on screen, murdering several others who attempted to flee and attempting to kill Max for his belongings at the start of the movie? The worst the refinery crew does is not trust this guy who wandered into their refinery, and who could very well be working for the marauders attacking them. They even give him medical care after he blows off their pleas to help them when they could have just said 'welp, sucks for you' and pitched him over the wall.

Everyone's a bit morally gray in that movie, but their shade of gray is definitely a lot lighter than Humungous. Even his speech imploring them to 'just walk away' is followed by him calming Wez down by saying that they'll kill the refinery crew later, implying that he had no intention of really allowing it.

you're just turning wickedhate on, please stop

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Wild T posted:

Did you miss Humungous' crew raping at least one victim on screen, murdering several others who attempted to flee

I guess I did, actually. I'm not great at paying attention. But yeah, rape, pillaging, that I can clearly understand as "evil as gently caress".

But having not paid attention, all the rest, even "relax we're not really gonna let them go", seems about on par with the other side, who were gonna kill Max if Humongous didn't show up. Even the Gyro Captian was fine with killing Max and stealing all his fuel when until he lost the advantage. Maybe if Max kicked Wez and his boyfriend off their bike and took them hostage, the movie would be about Max, his dog, and his two gay pals. Alliegence in the wasteland seems to work on "whoever is standing closest and is not attacking me right this second".

WickedHate has a new favorite as of 10:10 on May 21, 2015

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

WickedHate posted:

I guess I did, actually. I'm not great at paying attention. But yeah, rape, pillaging, that I can clearly understand as "evil as gently caress".

But having not paid attention, all the rest, even "relax we're not really gonna let them go", seems about on par with the other side, who were gonna kill Max if Humongous didn't show up. Even the Gyro Captian was fine with killing Max and stealing all his fuel when until he lost the advantage. Maybe if Max kicked Wez and his boyfriend off their bike and took them hostage, the movie would be about Max, his dog, and his two gay pals. Alliegence in the wasteland seems to work on "whoever is standing closest and is not attacking me right this second".

Max and the Gyro Captain have a kind of Blondie and Tuco-style relationship in that movie (at heart it's a spaghetti western with faster, cooler horses). It's worth noting, though, that Max tries to steal the Gyro Captain's supplies first, not realizing that it was a trap set up just for scavengers like him.

And true allegiance in the post-apocalypse is always to the dog you share your can of dog food with :3:

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

KozmoNaut posted:

That much is obvious, but Jedit said the rape wasn't the painful part, it was Theon watching, which means our sympathies should be with the child murderer witnessing the rape and not the innocent girl being raped. Which is hosed up.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Human Tornada posted:

That much is obvious, but Jedit said the rape wasn't the painful part, it was Theon watching, which means our sympathies should be with the child murderer witnessing the rape and not the innocent girl being raped. Which is hosed up.

That's not what I said at all - though if you've been paying attention to the show and know why Theon did what he did you really should be sympathising with him to some degree. What I said was that watching the scene is as bad as it is for us the viewers because Theon is there watching. Every other rape on the show has been of the "I want sex and I don't care if you do" variety. But when Theon is made to watch Ramsey raping Sansa, we know that sex is not what Ramsey wants. He's enjoying the power, enjoying making the two of them suffer. That's what makes it bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yes yes Jedit but you're consistently failing to own up to the fact that regardless of how many times we've seen it or what the greater thematic purpose is seeing a young girl get raped is still awful, especially when the young girl in question has historically been the "innocence-to-be-broken" puppydog character whose arc in the books thus far has been one of optimism and teasing at potential political redemption.

Aaaaand typing that out I realize D&D and his crew were probably thinking that getting Sansa raped would be a brilliant subversion and shock tactic on par with GRRM's best. loving wankers.