Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

slev posted:

Is Geralt's hair supposed to look like there is bunch of wind even when he is indoors?

The entire game takes place in a tornado judging by how much everything moves all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Fat Samurai posted:

Also, anyone had any luck finding 2 Emerald Dusts in the starting area? I think I only found one, and 500 gold hurts at that point. Related to that, are all the interesting things marked by '?' on the map, or is it worth it to explore empty areas?
I think there are some emerald gems/rings around. Just have the emerald rings/gems turned into emerald dust by the dwarf smith.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Did Someone post a way to get rid of that "your control scheme has changed" message? Do you have to fiddle with some files or is it somewhere in the options that I've somehow missed?

it ruined geralt playing hide and seek :(:

In addition I've found a swanky new set of armor

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 08:13 on May 21, 2015

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Meiteron posted:

OH MAN I accepted a quest from an old lady to clear out a mansion filled with monsters and when I get there I discover the monsters are dead and the area is filled with traps and it's because motherfuckin Letho is hiding out here

And then we fought off a billion headhunters together and now we're going off to find the rest of these assassins

Witcher buddy cop hijinks this is loving awesome. When he first appears there's a great remix of the Witcher 2 theme that I got chills hearing. Which is not on the official soundtrack and I'm a bit salty about that.

Edit: Finished. That was fantastic. I saved him and got him to go to Kaer Morhen so hopefully he'll show up later, too. What would have happened if I didn't rush in at the end? Would they have killed him?

I killed his rear end so back in the Witcher 2 so I had to round up those Wraiths on my own. :v:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Can you buy smoke bombs and the like? Can't craft one of those to get the shrieker contract.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Lord Lambeth posted:

Did Someone post a way to get rid of that "your control scheme has changed" message? Do you have to fiddle with some files or is it somewhere in the options that I've somehow missed?

it ruined geralt playing hide and seek :(:

In addition I've found a swanky new set of armor

Edit the hidden.ini file in \bin\config\base\ folder in your Witcher 3 install folder.

Change LockControlScheme=0 to LockControlScheme=2

Edit: You'll only see the box come up when you start the game or load a save. Otherwise it doesn't come up when you fiddle with the controls between controller and MB/K.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 08:21 on May 21, 2015

Bukowski
Dec 28, 2009

hammulder

Fat Samurai posted:

Now I have to restart. I hope you're happy. At least I won't sell the starting armour this time.

Also, anyone had any luck finding 2 Emerald Dusts in the starting area? I think I only found one, and 500 gold hurts at that point. Related to that, are all the interesting things marked by '?' on the map, or is it worth it to explore empty areas?

Wraiths also drop gem dusts, but there aren't any in the starting area (other than the contract). I wouldn't worry about it unless you need it for crafting something, in which case good luck!

I've put maybe 8 hours in so far and Geralt is level 6, really digging how you don't get experience points for fighting monsters/banditos but you actually gain "experience" where you learn their weaknesses and get a better handle on the combat system.

Looked at the trophies earlier, there's one called "Even Odds" that requires you to complete 2 Witcher contracts without using potions, oils, bombs, signs or mutagens. :shepface:

Also, looking at the map for the White Orchard, I never went into the NE half of the map even though I spent like 2 hours there. This game is so fuckin big!!

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Toplowtech posted:

Have you played against a monster cards player yet?
Yeah he was pretty fun to play against - I pulled the medic trick after getting him to overload the board on round 1/2. Medic siege unit, bringing back big siege unit, and then going with leader ability double siege strength is a great way to end. Oh and those 4 power double strength named guys are nice, since you can play one at the start to menace the AI (who acknowledges the attempt in their plays), then medic it back in later rounds for surprise power as well. Got a lucky draw off a win and drew a third one then got them all in play.

Far as I've seen the AI is just playing the card game somewhat competently and isn't cheating/reading your hand so that's good. My deck isn't great right now and I'm surprised at how many wins it can pull. Still avoiding certain 5 hero players and the tournament though. Far as exploring goes it's annoying to find players nevermind merchants who'll sell me cards.

Lord Lambeth posted:

I tried the change and it didn't seem to do much, message still appears even if I don't touch kb/m.

e: I guess the important part of playing against a monster AI player is hoping they bring out all their powerful cards early - namely "x card brings all cards with x name into play from your deck immediately". Very important note - that card works off the basis of the name so "Drowner" will bring in "Drowner Elder", etc. You're ultimately playing against their entire deck and you want them to overcommit round 1 and fall over the next two rounds since they have little to interact with.

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 08:32 on May 21, 2015

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

On the topic of "downgrading" and why the entire situation is annoying:

It's like going to a burger joint, and you see a picture of a delicious looking cheeseburger.

:downs: that'll be 59.99 please
:v: okay
:downs: But you have to wait a year for it to come out
:v: sure...
*6 months later*
:downs: Ehhh, wait 6 more months
*6 months pass*
:downs: here's your burger!

And you open it and all that's in the box is a cheeseburger with no buns. Is it entitlement if the burger wasn't as advertised? Are you wrong to call out the burger joint for stiffing you? I'm sure the burger is still delicious, but that's not what you paid for. You paid to have a burger that looks like the image advertised. But the burger joint says too bad, deal with it! "You don't understand all the time and effort that goes into making a burger!". At the end of the day it's just a burger, but at the same time, it sure feels a lot like someone pulled a fast one on you.

:sigh:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

In this scenario the nice burger requires a 15,000 BTU grill to cook.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

In this scenario the nice burger requires a 15,000 BTU grill to cook.

Maybe I'd be satisfied with a 1000BTU burger, and it would cost the developer less too. I'd be okay in this scenario if I was shown a picture of a burger that was missing buns, if I got a burger that was missing buns is really what I'm saying.

(note, I'm not upset about this game, this is just another brick in the wall at this point)

VDay posted:

I don't think you know how video games or analogies work.

No, it works pretty well from the consumer side of things.

Arglebargle III posted:

Loras was gay in the books though.

Okay, you can shut up with that poo poo already.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

I don't think you know how video games or analogies work.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Maybe I'd be satisfied with a 1000BTU burger, and it would cost the developer less too. I'd be okay in this scenario if I was shown a picture of a burger that was missing buns, if I got a burger that was missing buns is really what I'm saying.

(note, I'm not upset about this game, this is just another brick in the wall at this point)

Loras was gay in the books though.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I spent like 30 minutes fighting the goddamned Wyvern during the Griffin armor hunt quest because it was twice my level and after all that work he died and doesn't drop any items for my trouble. :argh:

Other than that little gripe this is probably the most fun game I can remember playing in the last 10 years or so where it's easily lived up to the hype and other than the same crash issues other people have faced it's been a loving blast so far.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

e: I guess the important part of playing against a monster AI player is hoping they bring out all their powerful cards early - namely "x card brings all cards with x name into play from your deck immediately". Very important note - that card works off the basis of the name so "Drowner" will bring in "Drowner Elder", etc. You're ultimately playing against their entire deck and you want them to overcommit round 1 and fall over the next two rounds since they have little to interact with.

Monster decks seem to be really heavy on front row, keep a freeze card if you drew one. Nothing like playing one of those after it passes all smug about its 40 strength army after playing 3 cards.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Fat Samurai posted:

Now I have to restart. I hope you're happy. At least I won't sell the starting armour this time.

What's wrong with selling your starting armor?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Dr. Capco posted:

I spent like 30 minutes fighting the goddamned Wyvern during the Griffin armor hunt quest because it was twice my level and after all that work he died and doesn't drop any items for my trouble. :argh:

Other than that little gripe this is probably the most fun game I can remember playing in the last 10 years or so where it's easily lived up to the hype and other than the same crash issues other people have faced it's been a loving blast so far.

You're supposed to go around the Wyvern, that's why it doesn't drop anything :ssh:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Funso Banjo posted:

What's wrong with selling your starting armor?

Can't upgrade what you don't have.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I don't know why you would want to keep that armor, it makes you stick out like a sore thumb. Maybe that's intentional though. :shrug:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Apparently you can keep on upgrading it as the game goes on. Also it doesn't make you look like a twat. Striped gambesons are silly.

EDIT: This thread moves fast.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug

Infinity Gaia posted:

You're supposed to go around the Wyvern, that's why it doesn't drop anything :ssh:

I tried going around him but he kept seeing me and wrecking my poo poo in that tight little place so I shot him in the rear end with my crossbow then fought him like a man in the open field. And won.

:colbert:

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Holy poo poo Velen is massive. I'm guessing you'll have to move on and come back later for the insane quests like the Royal Wvyern contract. Was getting one shot by the normal wyverns when I came across it. Also where the hell are places of power in Velen?

Incidentally, is there a time limit on quests? I don't want to come back after 20 levels to find "woops can't fight this beastie it's gone".

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Is it just me or does horse combat seem a bit cheesy? I only just left White Orchard, but there I killed a group of bandits and a bear, taking no damage by riding at them slashing. It seems pretty easy to control Roach's fear level.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Fat Samurai posted:

Apparently you can keep on upgrading it as the game goes on. Also it doesn't make you look like a twat. Striped gambesons are silly.

You can get schematics for armors used in other witcher schools that are also upgradeable later and are complete sets of gear, even with weapons, not just the chestpiece like your starting armor.

Should I make any of the alchemical things like hydragenium/rubedo/nigredo? I have all the recipes but there's seemingly no use for those.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm 33 hours into the game so far :stare: And I'm loving loving every single bit about it. My biggest accomplishment so far has been getting myself a full set of Cat school armor and swords, they are all about fast attacks and crits and because it's light armor I went with the skill that gives you 25% fast attack crit damage per light armor, so that's a 100% crit damage bonus.

You can stack some absolutely ridiculous bonuses in this game. With just 10 points you effectively gain 25% fast attack damage, 10% crit chance and another 125% fast attack crit damage. That puts me at a very high crit chance and every crit does 225% more than normal crits which makes strong attacks stupidly obsolete. Furthermore I have 8 points in alchemy which gives me a much bigger chance to poison enemies (oils are the best) and gives me a huge slowdown effect whenever a monster counter attacks me which lets me dodge out of the way super easily and it really helps a lot on the bigger 1v1 monster fights. I really hate the lack of points though and I felt I had to grind a lot of places of power just going around checking every question mark on the map. Now I'm level 19 and getting ready to find the cat set upgrades to make them even stronger, plus I got some nice strong runes I'll be putting on the swords :)

Alchemy is quite fun and I'm abusing the gently caress out of potions but I wish that it was easier to find the correct formulas because I have a bunch of enhanced and superior formulas for potions I've never found the regular recipe for, so I'm going back to Velen to check dungeons.

Does anyone have tips for fighting royal wyverns and other huge fliers though? I can't seem to dodge out of the way of their big wing sweeps so fighting them is kind of a slog.

ManSauceGuzzlr
Jul 18, 2004

"That man...I'm...fascinated by him. That look...his whole look. It's hypnotic."
So how do you actually use your leader card in gwent??

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

Does anyone have tips for fighting royal wyverns and other huge fliers though? I can't seem to dodge out of the way of their big wing sweeps so fighting them is kind of a slog.

Do you roll or sidestep? You want to roll when fighting big creatures and sidestep when fighting humanoids.
Keep quen shield up to absorb a hit you take, renew when needed, they don't strike often but hit like a truck.
Crossbow them when they're flying at you, get couple of swings in and roll away.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I was tooling around in Velen, came across a castle with a Wyvern on top. Wussed out and ran away, it aggroed. Thought I'd got away because I put my sword away and then called for Roach. It suddenly dive bombed me and took 75% of my HP away. Got straight on the horse and sprinted away like crazy. What a game :allears:.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Got my first full set of witcher armor from exploring. Griffon Armor in Valen:

Behold my barbie:

Aurain posted:

I was tooling around in Velen, came across a castle with a Wyvern on top. Wussed out and ran away, it aggroed. Thought I'd got away because I put my sword away and then called for Roach. It suddenly dive bombed me and took 75% of my HP away. Got straight on the horse and sprinted away like crazy. What a game :allears:.

If it's the same place I'm thinking of, you have to go there for the final piece in the set for the Griffon armor, coincidentally. It has the Griffon Silver Sword.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Pyromancer posted:

Do you roll or sidestep? You want to roll when fighting big creatures and sidestep when fighting humanoids.
Keep quen shield up to absorb a hit you take, renew when needed, they don't strike often but hit like a truck.
Crossbow them when they're flying at you, get couple of swings in and roll away.

Yeah I guess the trick is to just hit them in their face and avoid going for the sides so they do the sweep, also abuse Aard. I just hate rolling backwards and try to always dodge sideways because it's less time hitting them if I roll :black101:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

TheTrend posted:

If it's the same place I'm thinking of, you have to go there for the final piece in the set for the Griffon armor, coincidentally. It has the Griffon Silver Sword.

Having read what people had been saying, I believe that's probably the case too.
That just means I'll have my revenge sneak past him and feel bad about myself at some point.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
Cleared out a bandit encampment and walked away with about 15 swords, finally encumbered. Nearest town is about 1000 yards to the north so I figure, no big deal I'll just hit up a fast travel post. Closest one has a bunch of ?? level wraiths loving about. Hop on Roach, ride away, run through a pack of about 30 wolves, no biggie. Keep riding on and a level ?? Gryphon comes swooping down out of nowhere. Roach panics, bucks me off. I'm still encumbered but I'll be damned if I'm dropping any of these 7 crown swords so I start rolling away from the beast. A minute later it flies away and I hop back on Roach. Ride up to the next nearest fast travel post, turns out it's a town full of level 16 ghouls while I'm only level 7. Try to turn away and Roach gets stuck on a fence post. Ghouls drag me off the horse and tear me to shreds.

GOTY.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Where can I find some Journeyman smiths? Every one I've run into are Amateur (Except the masters but I'm too low a level for their quests). This is problematic because all of the useful schematics I have are for Journeymen.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

PureRok posted:

Where can I find some Journeyman smiths? Every one I've run into are Amateur (Except the masters but I'm too low a level for their quests). This is problematic because all of the useful schematics I have are for Journeymen.

There is one in Novigrad in the main square!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

PureRok posted:

There's one in Velen, west of the baron's castle I think but I forget where exactly, I'll have to check when I get home. He's in a tiny village with two merchants. There's also one in Skellige but you may be a way's off that.

GatewayOfLastResort
Oct 11, 2007

I'm saving up such a laugh.
Is the Griffin armor set medium? I've only found the silver sword for that set so far but if it is medium armor I need to get that poo poo ASAP.

Skuzal
Oct 21, 2008

GatewayOfLastResort posted:

Is the Griffin armor set medium? I've only found the silver sword for that set so far but if it is medium armor I need to get that poo poo ASAP.

Yeah Griffin is medium.

Moon LLC
Mar 27, 2010

PureRok posted:

I used the armorsmith in Crow's Perch and the weaponsmith in Oxenfurt for my Griffin set (which I think is journeyman).

GatewayOfLastResort posted:

Yes it is medium. Combining it with that medium armor perk is pretty great.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Bear should be heavy. I'm not really sure what the big difference between armor classes is though, just armor values or do they actually slow you down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's a trade between stamina regeneration and protection. I don't think the game ever makes that particularly clear outside of the armour passives though.