Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Or you could be in my situation, stuck paying flood insurance for a second floor condo in drought ridden Southern California.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah if you're buying a house and don't have a lawyer involved you're really really doing it wrong. REALTORS (R) are loving useless, get a lawyer.

Wait, wait, wait. House sales in the US don't generally involve a lawyer on both sides? Holy poo poo. I'm not sure it's even possible to sell a house in the UK without both parties instructing a solicitor. I certainly wouldn't want to try it.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Wolfsbane posted:

Wait, wait, wait. House sales in the US don't generally involve a lawyer on both sides? Holy poo poo. I'm not sure it's even possible to sell a house in the UK without both parties instructing a solicitor. I certainly wouldn't want to try it.

They generally do involve a lawyer on both sides and I am not sure why you jumped to the conclusion you did based on what you quoted.

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy

DNova posted:

They generally do involve a lawyer on both sides and I am not sure why you jumped to the conclusion you did based on what you quoted.

I don't know anyone who had a lawyer when buying a house. So I don't know how you jumped to your conclusion.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Easy Mac posted:

I don't know anyone who had a lawyer when buying a house. So I don't know how you jumped to your conclusion.

Really? All mortgage lenders in the US I know of require it, along with an independent home inspection. In fact, you *have* to supply them with the names of both so they can verify or the mortgage gets stopped in its tracks. It's not a legal requirement, but no one will lend you money if you don't.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Easy Mac posted:

Because most home sales in the US are backed by mortgages and it's fairly universally required by lenders that you have an attorney representing you in the sale so that you are not taken advantage of in some way, which could put the lender at risk. If you're paying cash and feel you don't need an attorney that's your option in most states/jurisdictions, I think.

edit: Here is a basic guide for where attorneys are required by law for closings: http://www.escrowhelp.com/state-by-state-closing-guide.html

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 13:21 on May 20, 2015

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
My hair is a bird – both your arguments are invalid

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The company I work for, we have a manufacturing facility out in the boonies. Was built in the 1940s, and last weekend I had to shut down all the IT equipment because they were replacing electrical lines that were rated for 15 years but were 45 years old. It was found out that there is no ground for the entire facility. About 300k to fix and of course the CEO is like "eh leave it, what's the worst that can happen". Well, someone can die for one.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

GreenNight posted:

The company I work for, we have a manufacturing facility out in the boonies. Was built in the 1940s, and last weekend I had to shut down all the IT equipment because they were replacing electrical lines that were rated for 15 years but were 45 years old. It was found out that there is no ground for the entire facility. About 300k to fix and of course the CEO is like "eh leave it, what's the worst that can happen". Well, someone can die for one.

$300k to add ground? I clearly have no grasp of the cost of industrial electrical work. Just get some grounding spikes and DIY!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

DNova posted:

$300k to add ground? I clearly have no grasp of the cost of industrial electrical work. Just get some grounding spikes and DIY!

I think it's more to do with having the dig up the entire parking lot to fix the issue.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Easy Mac posted:

When I bought my home in the USA, at closing there was
* seller's realtor
* my realtor
* the bank who held the seller's mortgage lawyer
* the bank who was backing my mortgage lawyer
* a property lawyer I personally retained to represent me

Not everyone hires their own laywer, but it ended up saving me ~$700/year in property taxes because he was the only one who realized the lot size on the deed was double what it actually was.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Gosh, who knew that their own personal experience with having or not having a lawyer wasn't universally applicable!!!

flosofl posted:

Really? All mortgage lenders in the US I know of require it, along with an independent home inspection. In fact, you *have* to supply them with the names of both so they can verify or the mortgage gets stopped in its tracks. It's not a legal requirement, but no one will lend you money if you don't.

Lenders absolutely require their own inspection, but they do not require the buyer to have their own legal representative, at least not in states where it's not legally required.

DNova posted:

Because most home sales in the US are backed by mortgages and it's fairly universally required by lenders that you have an attorney representing you in the sale so that you are not taken advantage of in some way, which could put the lender at risk. If you're paying cash and feel you don't need an attorney that's your option in most states/jurisdictions, I think.

no. You even went on to post this!

quote:

edit: Here is a basic guide for where attorneys are required by law for closings: http://www.escrowhelp.com/state-by-state-closing-guide.html

In some states, lawyers are required, but in most states they are not. Lenders don't require the buyer have a lawyer; they have their own lawyers review all the paperwork that they care about, prior to closing. What advantage would there be to the bank, to have their customer hire their own, independent legal representation?

I bought in California and did not have my own attorney. I was buying a foreclosed property and we were well-advised that banks would not be open to negotiating the fine print on sales of REO properties, so while a lawyer could have served to explain to us what a given document was for, our only option if we didn't like a particular term would be to walk from the sale.

I did feel fairly confident in my ability to read and understand all the documentation, though. I'm not a lawyer, but I am a technical writer... I read and write highly complicated documents for a living. Perhaps I was a fool, but I understood where the risks were and found them to be acceptable.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

Just wanted to quote this. You fucks will argue over the dumbest poo poo. :regd08:

kastein posted:

:agreed:

Why the gently caress am I even still subscribed to this thread? If you autists want to argue about dumb poo poo like this, go stare at the OP and realize this never was the thread for it.

Yeah yeah yeah I might be backseat modding here, go ahead and report me for it, this is retarded and so was the 400 pound concrete block cross-examination.

Here. Here is some crappy construction. I expect this thread to remain on-topic for about 0.5 posts following this one, at which point I will unsubscribe and you fuckers can argue about LEDs and bad neighbors and loving concrete blocks that might weigh a certain amount to your hearts content without me being negative about it.

Balloon framed house with the studs at different centers on opposite sides of a room? Gotta hang joists across it? Owner isn't there to watch? gently caress it man, slap the ledger up and hang the joists on it, who gives a rats rear end if they actually attach to the studs or not. Also, 2x8 joists with one set of crossbracing are totally enough to span 15 feet, that floor won't be bouncy at all.

Allow roof to fail, wait 15 years, when the plaster falls off the inside of the wall hang 1/4" sheetrock directly over the lath and pretend you didn't see it. Have the roof done (slap another layer over the last five or six, who will notice) then allow it to fail again ten years down the road. Sell house to me. This is what the cornerpost in a weight bearing wall looked like. What cornerpost? The one on the ground in a pile, naturally.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Gosh, who knew that their own personal experience with having or not having a lawyer wasn't universally applicable!!!

Lenders absolutely require their own inspection, but they do not require the buyer to have their own legal representative, at least not in states where it's not legally required.

no. You even went on to post this!

In some states, lawyers are required, but in most states they are not. Lenders don't require the buyer have a lawyer; they have their own lawyers review all the paperwork that they care about, prior to closing. What advantage would there be to the bank, to have their customer hire their own, independent legal representation?

I bought in California and did not have my own attorney. I was buying a foreclosed property and we were well-advised that banks would not be open to negotiating the fine print on sales of REO properties, so while a lawyer could have served to explain to us what a given document was for, our only option if we didn't like a particular term would be to walk from the sale.

I did feel fairly confident in my ability to read and understand all the documentation, though. I'm not a lawyer, but I am a technical writer... I read and write highly complicated documents for a living. Perhaps I was a fool, but I understood where the risks were and found them to be acceptable.

Legal requirements to have a lawyer and lender requirements to have a lawyer are different things. I can't find statistics for how many lenders do not require lawyers where they are not legally required; perhaps you could shed some light on the issue? I posted the link to show where they are legally required, which I very clearly stated is not in most places.

What I said is even quoted in your post:

me posted:

If you're paying cash and feel you don't need an attorney that's your option in most states/jurisdictions, I think.

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 20, 2015

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

anyway

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

anyway

I know that someday I'm going to do something like that, so I feel pre-emptive shame when I see these photos.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

DNova posted:

I know that someday I'm going to do something like that, so I feel pre-emptive shame when I see these photos.

Fortunately, that one should be easily fixed by taking the door off of its hinges and then re-installing it; there should be enough room to get in and out. I've seen photos of bathrooms where the toilet bowl prevented the door from opening more than a few inches, so someone cut a sizable notch in the door as a "fix".

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

DNova posted:

Super easy to fix that issue though.

What is horrible is even when "fixed" someone is going to get their toes loving smashed if they do not lock the door every time.

Edit: This reminds me I know someone who has one of those kitchen corner pantries with a door that opens IN to the pantry - about 1/3rd of it is impossible to use.

stuxracer fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 21, 2015

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

The size of that "water closet" is depressing.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Manslaughter posted:

Putting the closet back in water closet.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My parents have a home with a bathroom that was likely put into what was originally a closet by the previous owners. The door would bang into the sink and you'd have to walk in and close the door to get to the shower. They eventually just had a sliding door installed.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

stuxracer posted:

Super easy to fix that issue though.

What is horrible is even when "fixed" someone is going to get their toes loving smashed if they do not lock the door every time.

Edit: This reminds me I know someone who has one of those kitchen corner pantries with a door that opens IN to the pantry - about 1/3rd of it is impossible to use.

I know some people that had a pantry like that. They went to put in a pocket door and found the main vent stack for the kitchen.

So they just draped a sheet over the exposed studs and now-empty doorframe and just left it that way for like two years.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

ThinkFear posted:

Just wanted to quote this. You fucks will argue over the dumbest poo poo. :regd08:

Don't do this please.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Manslaughter posted:

Manhattan standards that's actually decent. A buddy of mine lived in an apartment in a fancy as hell area and his bathroom was a hilarious puzzle box. I don't recall the procedure exactly since we were usually drunk, but just getting into/out of the bathroom involved at least a half dozen steps. You'd open the door part way, which would allow you to reach an arm in and open the shower stall, which would allow you to open the door a little more, which would allow you to get halfway in and put the laundry hamper onto the toilet and open the door a little more, then you'd actually step into the shower and close the door, etc, etc. It was a ridiculous challenge.

The laundry basket usually ended up smelling like piss :v:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I once had a bathroom that was exactly as big as the toilet. Your knees would press against the door if you sat down. There was no room to turn, you had to stand in the doorway, pull the door closed and sit right down. Another bathroom I remember had the sink jutting out from the wall to the right of the toilet such that you had to fold yourself inbetween the two like the Z Tetris piece.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

In the reverse of this situation, my sister owns a house that originally just had an outdoor toilet - you'd walk out the back door and there is a little outdoor room with a toilet and sink. At some point in the house's history someone (understandably) decided this wasn't tolerable, and added an indoor bathroom. The problem is that the only room that could be readily converted was the bedroom over the kitchen (I am assuming this made it easier to run water and drains?) The result is an enormous bathroom that is the same size as the bedrooms - when my sister was renovating the rest of the house, she was able to set up a twin bed in the bathroom and sleep in there.

It's not a big house, so that excess space is kind of painful in some ways, but I have no idea what you would do about it without pulling out walls and redoing the entire layout.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Ashcans posted:

In the reverse of this situation, my sister owns a house that originally just had an outdoor toilet - you'd walk out the back door and there is a little outdoor room with a toilet and sink. At some point in the house's history someone (understandably) decided this wasn't tolerable, and added an indoor bathroom. The problem is that the only room that could be readily converted was the bedroom over the kitchen (I am assuming this made it easier to run water and drains?) The result is an enormous bathroom that is the same size as the bedrooms - when my sister was renovating the rest of the house, she was able to set up a twin bed in the bathroom and sleep in there.

It's not a big house, so that excess space is kind of painful in some ways, but I have no idea what you would do about it without pulling out walls and redoing the entire layout.

Haha, a good friend of mine turned one of his two bedrooms into a ridiculously huge bathroom, while keeping the original (decently-sized) bathroom also. Then he built a second bedroom in the basement. It's really good work though and it's what he wants.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

If you had a giant room like that you could make a nice rear end spa bathroom with like a big tiled shower and a soaking tub and a nice chest for your linens and and and

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

NancyPants posted:

If you had a giant room like that you could make a nice rear end spa bathroom with like a big tiled shower and a soaking tub and a nice chest for your linens and and and

Wet rooms are hella cool but make me feel weird when I'm pooping; I've spent so much time in tiny stalls and port-a-johns, I kinda need to be cocooned when I poop.

fake edit: poopooned.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

DNova posted:

Legal requirements to have a lawyer and lender requirements to have a lawyer are different things. I can't find statistics for how many lenders do not require lawyers where they are not legally required; perhaps you could shed some light on the issue? I posted the link to show where they are legally required, which I very clearly stated is not in most places.

House Buying Megathread in BFC is the right place for us to continue this conversation.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

My Lovely Horse posted:

I once had a bathroom that was exactly as big as the toilet. Your knees would press against the door if you sat down. There was no room to turn, you had to stand in the doorway, pull the door closed and sit right down. Another bathroom I remember had the sink jutting out from the wall to the right of the toilet such that you had to fold yourself inbetween the two like the Z Tetris piece.

Should I ever find myself needing a half bath, all it's gonna be is a cheerfully lit and decorated closet with this sucker in it.

http://eco-buildingproducts.com/pro...iEbMaAjeg8P8HAQ

Saves water and space. Clever as hell.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Suspect Bucket posted:

Should I ever find myself needing a half bath, all it's gonna be is a cheerfully lit and decorated closet with this sucker in it.

That's pretty similar to what they use in Japan, minus the built-in bidet.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Speaking of pocket doors, my friend has a pocket door between his kitchen and landing to go downstairs. The microwave and stove are against the wall where the door slides into. They got a new microwave from Sears, and the installers just screwed that fucker into the wall, totally unaware there was a pocket door there.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

FISHMANPET posted:

Speaking of pocket doors, my friend has a pocket door between his kitchen and landing to go downstairs. The microwave and stove are against the wall where the door slides into. They got a new microwave from Sears, and the installers just screwed that fucker into the wall, totally unaware there was a pocket door there not giving a gently caress about where their screws go.

ftfy

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Suspect Bucket posted:

You want a prison toilet in your home? :confused:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Platystemon posted:

You want a prison toilet in your home? :confused:

Looks like a good idea if you're short on space. Most WC's are barely enough space for a toilet and tiny little pedestal sink and need to have a pocket door, this frees up a lot more space.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I saw a toilet seat which had a similar idea, except instead of a sink it was a plant pot on top, and whenever the tank refilled a small part of the water would pass over the soil and keep it moist.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

Did it drown the plant? Did the inevitable dirt runoff clog the pipes? What was it like pooping with a plant stabbing you in the back of the head?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

Wet rooms are hella cool but make me feel weird when I'm pooping; I've spent so much time in tiny stalls and port-a-johns, I kinda need to be cocooned when I poop.

fake edit: poopooned.

Not me. I want to take all my shits in the stately elegance of a room large enough to hold a California king bed.

Imagine a shower so nice you feel bad about peeing in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

NancyPants posted:

Not me. I want to take all my shits in the stately elegance of a room large enough to hold a California king bed.

Imagine a shower so nice you feel bad about peeing in it.

Unless it is floored with, say, Yvonne Strahovsky and Alison Brie, it doesn't exist.