Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Casu Marzu posted:

My fellow maggots wouldn't even touch school cornbread

Just to play devil's advocate here, what is so bad about cafeteria cornbread? Just overcooked maybe? Having not had it in a couple of decades I can't recall what it was like, but I don't see how you can make it with cheaper ingredients than you'd use yourself. Cornmeal, flour, baking powder, eggs, milk or water, oil/butter, salt, possibly sugar. Hard to cut corners with those ingredients.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Just to play devil's advocate here, what is so bad about cafeteria cornbread? Just overcooked maybe? Having not had it in a couple of decades I can't recall what it was like, but I don't see how you can make it with cheaper ingredients than you'd use yourself. Cornmeal, flour, baking powder, eggs, milk or water, oil/butter, salt, possibly sugar. Hard to cut corners with those ingredients.

Probably a premixed bag of cornmeal, flour, and baking powder instead of component ingredients.

Powdered or liquid pre-beaten egg mixture instead of freshly cracked eggs.

Powdered milk instead of liquid milk.

Margarine instead of butter.

Corn syrup instead of sugar.

Just a guess but that's how I could see corners being cut for large-scale cornbread prep.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah, like 90% bleached white flour with a sprinkling of corn meal.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Just to play devil's advocate here, what is so bad about cafeteria cornbread?

idk actually, my school never had cornbread, we were mayyybe got a slice of wonder bread along side whatever else was there

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

The few times they had it at my grade school, it was almost, but not quite, unlike cornbread.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
At my school I remember it being incredibly dry and not really tasting like anything at all. Sort of a loosely pressed square of coarse yellow powder.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Halfway decent premade cornbread mix will have flour, cornmeal, powdered egg, powdered milk, baking soda, sugar, and salt. Just add water.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

The Midniter posted:

Probably a premixed bag of cornmeal, flour, and baking powder instead of component ingredients.

Powdered or liquid pre-beaten egg mixture instead of freshly cracked eggs.

Powdered milk instead of liquid milk.

Margarine instead of butter.

Corn syrup instead of sugar.

Just a guess but that's how I could see corners being cut for large-scale cornbread prep.

You sound like a walking diet,
I might hire you

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

My car broke down last night as I was driving from Iowa to New Hampshire. I'm stuck in a hotel next to the Toledo, Ohio airport for another night. Total long shot, but any restaurants in Toledo worth cabbing into town for? Doubt there any locals here, but figured I'd ask before hitting up yelp or getting pizza delivered.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Eat This Glob posted:

My car broke down last night as I was driving from Iowa to New Hampshire. I'm stuck in a hotel next to the Toledo, Ohio airport for another night. Total long shot, but any restaurants in Toledo worth cabbing into town for? Doubt there any locals here, but figured I'd ask before hitting up yelp or getting pizza delivered.
It's been a while but https://www.mancys.com/ has decent resturants around toledo. I forget where the airport is in relation to poo poo, but I recall it being far away from the city proper. In that case, there's Ventura's nearish to you which I recall being a decent Mexican bar with a good crowd. I haven't been in Toledo for years though so ymmv

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
What the heck is cornbread? Why would you put corn in bread? School food is weird and bad except the wafer snacks mommy gives me a dollar for. Bread is wheat. I learned it at Bethpage Restoration. I also touched a sheep.

-me at 6

The pizza was also poo poo. The only school food I ever liked was the bagels in high school they'd order in special from a real Jewish deli.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 20, 2015

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Eat This Glob posted:

You found a local!

Mancy's family of restaurants is overpriced and not that great.

Revolution Grille is further towards the west side of town (off Monroe street just down from the mall), but is pretty good typical new-american-fusiony fair. Registry Bistro downtown is similiar. Maumee Bay Brewing Company downtown has decent, but not earth-shattering, beer and pretty decent food. If you do decide to head downtown, there's a little joint off Adams street called the Attic, go there for a solid beer selection and some excellent gyros from the greek restaraunt downstairs. Black Cloister Brewing is new, and doesn't have any food, but the beer's better than what they make at Maumee Bay.

If you're into Mexican food, there's a mexican grocer called San Marcos that serves very good tacos in the back, though I think they've expanded that into a full restaurant section now.

Oh, and one of my personal favorites - Calvino's, just off central & secor. Italian joint, sit at the wine bar, if the sommelier is sober enough he's a lot of fun and they have some good wine selections and excellent calzones, so long as you're not put off by the lovely decor.

Having said all that, not sure if any of these will really be worth the length of a cab ride you'd pay to get to them. If you're a drinker, though, check out The Local at 7723 Airport Hwy. Very close to the airport, great beer selection, and the owner is a nice guy who loves to talk beer and let me have some of his Pliny the Elder once. Your best shot is to just order a pizza and then head there, in my opinion.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

My roommate was excited to show me that he bought a cheap Mr Coffee drip machine and set up a coffee station in our kitchen, complete with a big can of Folgers, filters, mixers and everything.... except I've been making nice cold brew coffee with a French press for a while now so I don't know why he went and did all this. Maybe he assumes that the French press is inferior because it's low-tech?

e: I don't even mean this in a coffee snob sort of way. I'm just confused why it's necessary when I already have a coffee maker. Is the French press intimidating? You just pour in coffee, add water, wait 5-1440 minutes depending on if your water is hot or cold, then enjoy your delicious caffeine.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 21, 2015

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

rj54x posted:

You found a local!

Having said all that, not sure if any of these will really be worth the length of a cab ride you'd pay to get to them. If you're a drinker, though, check out The Local at 7723 Airport Hwy. Very close to the airport, great beer selection, and the owner is a nice guy who loves to talk beer and let me have some of his Pliny the Elder once. Your best shot is to just order a pizza and then head there, in my opinion.

Thanks Mr wookems, but I think we have a winner. That sounds great. No idea what my tab will be on the car, so I think I'll hit up that place and grab a pizza instead of spending a fortune on a cab (just looked up the fares!), I'll get some good beer instead

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No one mentioned Tony Packo's? Ugh, y'all are terrible.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Ahh I remember Toledo fondly, I went there for an internship. So much beer and wasted potential.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Pork chops, white asparagus, pancetta, and parmesan...the highest destiny of pork chops

Miss Bean
Jun 5, 2005

Don't spill the beans!!
You are stuck just a few miles from me! My recommendations are as follows:
Mexican- Cocina de Carlos or San Marcos, as another poster stated
Thai- Bangkok Kitchen on Dussel
Teriyaki/Sushi- Rice BLVD up by the University of Toledo, Domo
BBQ- City Q on Central Avenue

Bleu Smoke is a few miles down Airport Highway from where you are. It's a small, family-run place that has a variety of different things on the menu, and is pretty tasty.

For the love of God, avoid anything owned by the same restaurateur who runs Loma Linda's. This includes Ventura's, Barron's, and Fritz and Alfredo's. Now, being trapped by the airport, you may be tempted by the exemplary Yelp reviews to try Loma's. It's right there. It's always jam packed during evening hours. Do NOT be fooled! Basically, these establishments are drinking destinations because the food is only palatable once drunk. I can't even recommend them as a place to drink because their "awesome" margaritas are watered down.

Hope this helps and isn't too late!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

No Wave posted:

Pork chops, white asparagus, pancetta, and parmesan...the highest destiny of pork chops

more like 135deg, inch thick, bone in, and heritage bred... the highest destiny of pork chops

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I contend that white asparagus is inferior to green asparagus in every respect.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Scientastic posted:

I concur.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Well its winning in price per pound at least.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

Except tinned. I grew up having white asparagus only in tinned form and retain an affection for it. I prefer fresh green to tinned white. Come sparrow grass season I gorge myself. My wife gets a bit sick of it but I could eat asparagus every day. Roasted is favourite, with balsamic and lemon oil, or boiled or steamed with just butter.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Canned asparagus sounds like the worst thing.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

otoh, pickled asparagus owns

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Miss Bean posted:

You are stuck just a few miles from me! My recommendations are as follows:
Mexican- Cocina de Carlos or San Marcos, as another poster stated
Thai- Bangkok Kitchen on Dussel
Teriyaki/Sushi- Rice BLVD up by the University of Toledo, Domo
BBQ- City Q on Central Avenue

Bleu Smoke is a few miles down Airport Highway from where you are. It's a small, family-run place that has a variety of different things on the menu, and is pretty tasty.

For the love of God, avoid anything owned by the same restaurateur who runs Loma Linda's. This includes Ventura's, Barron's, and Fritz and Alfredo's. Now, being trapped by the airport, you may be tempted by the exemplary Yelp reviews to try Loma's. It's right there. It's always jam packed during evening hours. Do NOT be fooled! Basically, these establishments are drinking destinations because the food is only palatable once drunk. I can't even recommend them as a place to drink because their "awesome" margaritas are watered down.

Hope this helps and isn't too late!

You have correct opinions.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

mindphlux posted:

more like 135deg, inch thick, bone in, and heritage bred... the highest destiny of pork chops

I like a thicker chop, like 2-3 inches when I cook them. Sous vide to three degrees below desired temp, sear. There was a place in Iowa I went to once that did four inch chops. He cooked them by double-wrapping in aluminum foil and dropping them in a deep fryer. It was sort of like pressure frying does for chicken - moist, tender, browned on the outside - except he pulled them so the carryover would top off at barely medium. That may have been the best pork chop I ever had.

Scientastic posted:

Agreed. Also canned/tinned asparagus is awful but pickled asparagus is very good. Add some alum so it retains a semblance of texture. This makes me realize I should pick up some asparagus once it's fully in season and ferment it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bunnielab posted:

Canned asparagus sounds like the worst thing.

I can't remember when I last had them, and to be honest, I don't know if my saying it's good is because it actually is, or simply childhood memory. Tinned cherries likewise. Used to have them at my grandparent's house. We'd pour the juice into our glasses and pretend it was wine.

When my father was a child a friend stayed over while friend's parents were on holiday. They had tinned cherries for pudding and friend ate them whole, stones and all. My grandmother, worried for this child in her care, called a doctor. "Don't worry", said doc, "he'll be fine. Just don't point him at anyone."

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Casu Marzu posted:

otoh, pickled asparagus owns

it should be federally mandated that all bloody marys come with pickled asparagus imo

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
We need more cocktails with ramps. The local joint does a Gibson with pickled ramps (like the one on Kitchn) which is lovely.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I'm at Brookhaven National Lab for research stuff. This place has seven nobel prizes to its credit. The onsite dorms have a kitchen, it's not much of one but the closest restaurant is like 20 min away. Every time I'm out here they keep adding stipulations to using the stove. First it was just a small sign, then a big sign, then they made you sign a waiver saying you wouldn't leave food unattended...

Now they put a motion sensor attached to a 2 minute timer to control the electric range in the dorms here because some of the smartest scientists in the world keep burning the kitchen down.

I made some soup yesterday and I had to stand in front of the pot waving my hand every 2 min just to keep the stove on.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Get one of those birds that dip into water. Hack The Planet!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

GrAviTy84 posted:

I'm at Brookhaven National Lab for research stuff.

Go to J&R's. Fun reasonably priced steak house. Or at least it used to be, it's been 5 years.

I used to go to the shooting range past there, always blamed shots going wide left on the supercollider.

Hurracan
Apr 29, 2009
Sorry if this isn't the right spot, but six years ago (or so) there was an alcoholic desserts thread with a booze-a-moholic variation on banana pudding. It was basically taking a few packages of instant pudding mix (vanilla and butterscotch, I believe) and substituting a portion of the milk with Irish cream, Kahlua (maybe?), and 99 Bananas.

I don't remember the proportions and didn't want to just wing it, but I can't seem to find it written down anywhere and the search function (new and yay, but it will also take some practice, I guess) isn't being too helpful.

Does anyone remember what I'm talking about, or have any suggestions before I start mixing my liquor cabinet with cheap pudding?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Just got an immersion blender and made some soup with it. So good. Why didn't I get one of these things before?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

mindphlux posted:

Yeah! That served on top of white asparagus steamed and sauteed with pancetta is exactly what I had, though it will probably upset you to know that I used a searzall on it.

Scientastic posted:

White asparagus is sweet and blander... which is great for pork.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Phummus posted:

Going to be in the Philly area in a week and a half or so. Any must-hit spots on a shoe-string budget? Looking for good, hole-in-the-wall type places.

Skipping a page to chime in here, as I literally got back from Philly an hour ago. Jim's is the cheese steak you want. South and 16th I think? Monks Cafe has an insane selection of Belgian beers and the like, some more affordable than others obviously. Didn't do too many other crazy restaurant/bar things but the Barnes Foundation museum is definitely worth it, especially if you like Renoir (180 works) and Cézanne.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Eeyo posted:

Just got an immersion blender and made some soup with it. So good. Why didn't I get one of these things before?

I've never had a regular blender, just a good immersion one (and a food processor). It's brilliant.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

No Wave posted:

Yeah! That served on top of white asparagus steamed and sauteed with pancetta is exactly what I had, though it will probably upset you to know that I used a searzall on it.

a what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

Now they put a motion sensor attached to a 2 minute timer to control the electric range in the dorms here because some of the smartest scientists in the world keep burning the kitchen down.

I made some soup yesterday and I had to stand in front of the pot waving my hand every 2 min just to keep the stove on.