Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

The Flashman books are both hilarious and legitimately worth reading. Whereas Ciaphas Cain is just a normal dude with an inferiority complex, Flashman is a complete unashamed scumbag. He does poo poo like throw an unconscious woman out of carriages when being chased by Russian cavalry in order to lighten the load and get away. A woman that he had just banged a few hours previously. No scruples whatsoever.

If we're gonna toss out 40k book recommendations, Helsreach is what I'd start someone not into 40k with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Rad Lieutenant posted:

Post your opinions about incest itt

siblings, parents, aunts/uncles and 1st-3rd cousins aren't for loving. Though if Katy Perry was your third cousin and offered to throw you a lay, you'd be a massive human being to say no

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Starship Troopers and The Moon is a Harsh Mistress are good. Then there's some other stuff that's alright too. Then there's a bunch of awful libertarian garbage.

Booblord Zagats posted:

siblings, parents, aunts/uncles and 1st-3rd cousins aren't for loving. Though if Katy Perry was your third cousin and offered to throw you a lay, you'd be a massive human being to say no
His self insert character goes back in time to gently caress his mom.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

LongDarkNight posted:

Read Old Man's War or Hyperion.

If you like old man's war read Redshirts, fuzzy nation, and locked in.

What I'm saying is read Scalzi

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Casimir Radon posted:

Starship Troopers and The Moon is a Harsh Mistress are good. Then there's some other stuff that's alright too. Then there's a bunch of awful libertarian garbage.

Yeah I know, there's an entire episode of Futurama that kind of takes a poo poo on that. It's one of the best episodes, too

red_dirt
Apr 26, 2014

by Shine
Revelation Space, or anything else by Reynolds. Always tough to start but the payoff is incredible. Iain Banks is/was pretty good. Armor was the book that got me started on Sci Fi. Fredrik Pohl has some legit hard Sci Fi. Old Mans War is crap.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Thanks you. This thread doesn't make sense when people don't post chicks

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Revelation Space and Hyperion were both good, both worth getting into.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Society is freaking me out.

1. I wear plaid, flannel, and denim because I've worn them for years. Suddenly, it's "sexy" and "popular."

2. I grow a beard because I got out of the military and no longer am forced to shave twice a day (also I'm lazy) and, whaddya know, beards are suddenly sexy.

3. I have a gut because I brought myself back from "functional alcoholism" down to "college student" (also, as in point two, I'm lazy), then suddenly the "dad bod" is a thing, where having a gut and some body hair is considered sexy.

Through literally zero effort on my part, society has decided I'm one of the sexiest men alive.
What the gently caress.

This is like some kind of cosmic fuckin' joke. My favorite description of myself came from here, when someone told me I looked like Danny Trejo fathered a crack baby.

This is weird.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Scoop up that trendy easy cooze while you can I suppose

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
when the hell did having a gut become sexy? i know i'm getting old because i didn't even know this was a thing.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
i promise chicks will like you more if you dress nice, smell nice, and you look like you work out.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
The Black Fleet is pretty good, but don't read the other stuff the same author wrote. Like Omega Force. It's like reading a sci-fi verson of clive cussler.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Who's this lady

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Rad Lieutenant posted:

Who's this lady

FC Barcelona footballer Neymar's girlfriend, Bruna Marquezine.

Footballer is the correct term right? Who cares you could call me whatever you want if I was going home to that every night.

Cole fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 21, 2015

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cole posted:

you guys have probably 20 minutes before this gets fixed, but go type "nigga house" into google maps. when it gets fixed i'll spoil it, but it's funnier to find out on your own.

Weird, it worked the first time I did it, then wouldn't the second.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
huh....i just tried incognito mode and it worked again. weird.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

posted on my facebook wall today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI6TRTBZUMM

haka chants are pretty much the most badass thing possible

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Godholio posted:

Revelation Space and Hyperion were both good, both worth getting into.

The first two Hyperion books were good, but the second two. . . ehhhh. . .

In the vein of military sci-fi, Marko Kloos has a trilogy out that GiPpers would probably enjoy.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

To be fair The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is pretty heavy handed when it comes to libertarian bullshit. But Mike is the coolest loving character

Also the Commonwealth Saga is loving awesome and well worth reading. The Culture books are pretty solid to with Consider Phlebas and Use of Weapons both being really loving good.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Commonwealth Saga is the Peter F Hamilton series yea? Pandora's Star was mostly excellent except the space politics bullshit

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Yeah, the first 1/4 of Pandora's Star is real loving slow, but once the Alamo Avengers roll out it picks up real fast. Judas Unchained owns from start to finish especially the last 1/4 which is basically Mad Max but with Particle Rifles and mini nukes. The Void Trilogy that follows it is pretty solid but it starts off extremely slow for the first 1/3rd of the first book and finally picks up. He really like building his worlds, I just wish he'd do it quicker.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Clarkson is doing an interview on BBC Radio 2 in a little over an hour with Chris Evans

just a heads up

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

posted on my facebook wall today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI6TRTBZUMM

haka chants are pretty much the most badass thing possible

human being seriouspost incoming

the haka traditionally is a challenge
basically saying COME THE gently caress ON I WILL gently caress YOU UP
in this particular context it's honouring your mate, much in the sense of 'i am giving my best but you gave everything'
if you want to read some insane poo poo read about the maori battalion in ww1/2 or charles upham (kiwi, only living man to win the vc TWICE) or willie apiata (most recent VC recipient)

no joke nz is a tiny loving country but our military is loving insanely good particularly our SAS

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Peter F. Hamilton is a huge weirdo and I got way too skeeved out by the first book of his I read to keep going. Damned if I can remember the title now, though. I must have been a teenager.

A common thread between a lot of pop sci-fi authors is imagining that technology and social mores will conveniently evolve to enable hosed up creeps to act out their sickest sexual fantasies consequence-free. I avoid the whole genre unless I get a book specifically recommended to me by someone who doesn't ordinarily read a ton of sci-fi and fantasy. Incidentally, I'm in the middle of Ancillary Justice and it's pretty good so far.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
You can always go back in time if modern authors aren't doing it for you. One could spend a lifetime just with heavy hitters like Asimov, Bradbury, and Clarke. If you want to get really old-school, check out Edgar Rice Burroughs' A Princess of Mars. Somebody made a film adaption a few years ago, but I heard they really butchered it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

On the dad bod flannel poo poo whatever chat why does having a beard make you a hipster. What if you're just too lazy to shave or have shaved everyday for 5 years and want a break

Anyways dumb poo poo aside I know I'm wayyyy late here but just saw John Wick and yeah you guys were right about everything. If you haven't seen it go watch it

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
You guys are way more chill with booty. Please post more booty.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
I would have bareback sex with KATY PERRY.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hipsterchat: I have no idea what the gently caress having a beard means toward hipster status. Then again, hipsters have basically taken my style choices and popularized them while attempting to ruin it by not doing any actual manual labor, so that shows how much I fuckin' know.

Butts/chicks:

:nsfw: http://i.imgur.com/6QS9bji.jpg
:nsfw: http://i.imgur.com/O8xDCCD.jpg

Randochat: I've got a chronically non-running Mazda (car in my avatar) that's going into storage until I can do all the work it needs, and everyone is telling me to buy a cheap, reliable car for beater use in the meantime. So I found a '67 Galaxie 500 for $2k that I'm hopefully going to pick up soon, since an old V8 Ford is what I'd call dead reliable. Pretty sure everyone meant for me to buy a fuckin' Honda or something, but gently caress that noise, I'm a goddamned road warrior and I need my car to have miles of chrome.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

would

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Professor Bling posted:

Randochat: I've got a chronically non-running Mazda (car in my avatar) that's going into storage until I can do all the work it needs, and everyone is telling me to buy a cheap, reliable car for beater use in the meantime. So I found a '67 Galaxie 500 for $2k that I'm hopefully going to pick up soon, since an old V8 Ford is what I'd call dead reliable. Pretty sure everyone meant for me to buy a fuckin' Honda or something, but gently caress that noise, I'm a goddamned road warrior and I need my car to have miles of chrome.

poo poo can the mazda for scrap, buy the Galaxie 500 '67 for restoration down the road, and put the Galaxie into storage unless really needed.
that's just my opinion, because no Galaxie should be turned into a beater.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.

The Rat posted:

If we're gonna toss out 40k book recommendations, Helsreach is what I'd start someone not into 40k with.

The Gaunt's Ghosts series by Dan Abnett is good stuff. 40k in general is heavily focused on genetically engineered giants cruising around in armored suits cracking skulls and loving poo poo up on the reg. Abnett writes about the Imperial Guard in this series who are regular people conscripted in huge numbers and thrown at various enemies. They often participate in massive battles and die quickly and in obscene numbers.

I got five books in before school reading sapped my time so I can't speak for the entire fourteen book series, and the books have some small flaws and boring parts, but overall they're very entertaining and worth checking out.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

Two Finger posted:

I really like Heinlein. I read some book of his recently about weird slugs that jump on people's backs and control them and despite the totally ridiculous premise it was actually really drat good.

The puppet masters. Book was okay, movie was kinda okay but not as good as the book.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

Cole posted:

Footballer is the correct term right?

Metric footballer

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Professor Bling posted:

You might be able to find a 65 or 66 cheaper:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Hhaahahah, holy poo poo, that's an impressive diff failure.

• Locked thread