Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Marshmallow Blue posted:

restaurants in greater Boston Area are weird.

Are you going to have your birthday at The Ship?

That whole strip of buildings is pretty ugly, which is saying something considering everything on Rt. 1 is ugly as poo poo (except the Hilltop Steak House sign, which owns and I hope that thing sticks around when whatever replaces the restaurant comes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
Nice sign.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Mr. Sharps posted:

all you fans of brutalism mingled with greenery should visit seattle's freeway park

used to be a great place to score smack but i hear it's been cleaned up quite a bit now

Still smells like piss and poo poo however. In maintained parks are a tragedy.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

I've only been to boston the once but I do remember it being quite damp. It doesn't seem like a funnel shaped roof would help that.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

First thing I thought of.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Moridin920 posted:

This one in particular I hated; it looks better in the photos than it does in real life because the photos don't capture the bonkers texture on the outside very well:

Hundertwasser was a strange man.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

And here I was naively thinking experiments were made by scientist in laboratories, wearing lab coats, but now I find out the scientist were just ordering them all their experiments already done from a factory and passing them off as their own!

The whole field of Science is a lie. :smith:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Seriously, if they ever make another Star Trek series they shouldn't bother CGIing cities for alien planets, just send a team out to get some shots of some of the bizarre obscure buildings people in this thread are posting.

Shoulda done it for the old shows too. I mean, why bother making a matte painting of this:

When you can just go take a photo of this:

Take a snap, crop out the cars, call it a day, get lauded for how realistic the lighting on your your planetary art is.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:51 on May 21, 2015

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Woody Allen did that in Sleeper. All the film's futuristic exteriors are just modernist buildings in California.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
I'm p sure the TV headquarters from Running Man was in this thread.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

This is unironically amazing.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Take a snap, crop out the cars, call it a day, get lauded for how realistic the lighting on your your planetary art is.

Use a wastewater processing plant and you don't need to crop out much.

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~

My uncle was the head chef there for years. I got a commemorative t-shirt and a set of steak knives when they shut down.

There's also Kowloon right in the same area. Hard to find decent pics of the inside but it's all kitschy tiki themed.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
Hilltop shut down? Driving to that big dumb place was a highlight of growing up around there. :smith:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Why is the tiki themed restaurant called Kowloon?

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Quoting myself since nobody cam back alive from seeing this link (or didn't bother looking).

All those things have been built in the last five years.

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'

Dr. Stab posted:

For the same reason that there's a chain of Italian restaurants in MA called The Chateau :v:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Dr. Stab posted:

I wanna have a Chinese restaurant named Kowloon and have the inside be a model of the walled city.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Yawgmoth posted:

I wanna have a Chinese restaurant named Kowloon and have the inside be a model of the walled city.

Like Denver's Casa Bonita.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Spatule posted:

Quoting myself since nobody cam back alive from seeing this link (or didn't bother looking).

As dumb as the motivation for the whole thing is, I still think it's a bit neat from a public decoration perspective. At least it's not yet another concrete cube with glass walls.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
You will be assimilated

Resistance is futile

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Phanatic posted:

This is unironically amazing.

It really is. It's about 40 feet tall and about as wide. It dominates it's little piece of skyline. It's kinda like something you might see on Route 66, except on a crowded, busy road in Massachusetts.

ANAmal.net posted:

Hilltop shut down? Driving to that big dumb place was a highlight of growing up around there. :smith:

Yeah, sometime last year I think. I drove by last week on the way to Logan, it's all just a pile of rubble now. Thankfully, it does seem the sign will stay when the new shopping center thing is built. The plastic/fiberglass/whatever cows apparently were saved, too, though I don't know where they are.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Grim Up North posted:

If they ever shut that place down Paramount should buy it and turn it into a Star Trek museum.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

MikeJF posted:

Seriously, if they ever make another Star Trek series they shouldn't bother CGIing cities for alien planets, just send a team out to get some shots of some of the bizarre obscure buildings people in this thread are posting.

In the TNG epside Contagion Picard is stuck in a soon to explode outpost. His only means of escape is a teleportation portal that is cycling through a bunch of destinations. He decides that the bridge of a Romulan Warbird is preferable to Toronto City Hall.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Grim Up North posted:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

joat mon posted:

Like Denver's Casa Bonita.
Or Tulsa's Casa Bonita, you ingrate

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Grim Up North posted:

Next Generation had an episode filmed there as well - Season 1, Episode 8: Justice

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

TenementFunster posted:

Or Tulsa's Casa Bonita, you ingrate

Closed years ago.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Spatule posted:

The Triumphal Arch is a tad excessive.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

And now we come full circle; the Chinese company NetDragon actually licensed rights from CBS in order to build their headquarters in the shape of the Enterprise.

Video flyover: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbl45otRBiw

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

Detective Thompson posted:

It really is. It's about 40 feet tall and about as wide. It dominates it's little piece of skyline. It's kinda like something you might see on Route 66, except on a crowded, busy road in Massachusetts.

Is there a good image site that worships/documents this kind of stuff?

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Doggles posted:

And now we come full circle; the Chinese company NetDragon actually licensed rights from CBS in order to build their headquarters in the shape of the Enterprise.

Video flyover: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbl45otRBiw

Kinda weird that they bothered to pay the licencing fee

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Turfahurf posted:

My uncle was the head chef there for years. I got a commemorative t-shirt and a set of steak knives when they shut down.

There's also Kowloon right in the same area. Hard to find decent pics of the inside but it's all kitschy tiki themed.

I was expecting pictures of the infamous place in China.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
I heard you like really ugly buildings.

1. University of Bielefeld

"Let's put the whole university in one building. Let's build the biggest university building in the world. Let's do it in the seventies, where architecture is really cool. Let's use asbestos liberally"
whooooops

Now they have to renovate it for the tiny sum of 1 billion euros.

2. Ihme Center, Hannover
A really, really beautiful urban "all inside" thing akin to the Olympiades in Paris.

Too bad it's now abandoned and too big to do anything with it

More Urbex Pics

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Spatule posted:

You will be assimilated

Resistance is futile

I thought it was Belgium, and then I saw the "Te Koop - A Vendre" sign

Apparently that's a screengrab from a documentary series on Belgian architecture and city planning

https://vimeo.com/127148926

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Geoff Zahn posted:

Next Generation had an episode filmed there as well - Season 1, Episode 8: Justice

Merge it with the Futurama pavillion and you get Starfleet HQ, too!

They got a lot of mileage out of that water processing plant.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

MikeJF posted:

They got a lot of mileage out of that water processing plant.

That huge concrete building from the Power Rangers was used as a set repeatedly, too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandeis-Bardin_Institute#Filming_locations

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Continuing the Rt1 Kick.

Anyone thinking of playing mini-golf here, don't it's very bad.

If you're looking to buy in on the action

This Chinese gate and Chinese style building a qtr mile up a hill has been for sale forever. Seriously if you ever go to Boston, skip the Aquarium and Museum of Science and take your Rent a car up route 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Reminds me of this proposal from SITE, which I think wasn't actually built:

But these were.

quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedensreich_Hundertwasser

quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tBH9SE-Kw8
:black101:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falkirk_Wheel:black101:

• Locked thread