Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

They're back filming in Vancouver this June 9th!

Can't wait to see them running around again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
David and Gillian kissed, and people freaked the hell out.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Blond Scully? no no no, my universe is shattered.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He is bad at writing songs. Why's he doing all this midlife crisis poo poo? You're no singer and you're no novelist, Mulder. It's a miracle you escaped the show and got to be on others, but that's it.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Kurtofan posted:

Blond Scully? no no no, my universe is shattered.

Right? It looks so spookyfreaky

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Could just be an early out-of-character promo shot, assuming those two wear business attire like that when they don't have to. Gillian Anderson has been blonde in just about everything I've seen her in since X-Files and it totally works for her but Blonde Scully would still feel weird, yeah. That said, check out her recent Top Gear appearance for a blonde, giggly, and English-accented Gillian Anderson swearing like a sailor.

If Cancer Man is coming back then I hope they also find a way to revive the Lone Gunmen. I've been rewatching X-Files recently and they show up a lot more often than I remembered.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Delsaber posted:

If Cancer Man is coming back then I hope they also find a way to revive the Lone Gunmen. I've been rewatching X-Files recently and they show up a lot more often than I remembered.

At this point I say gently caress it, bring everyone back with zero explanation. Pretend this is Season 7 (or whatever) Mark 2 rather than Season 10.

PrincessKate
Mar 16, 2004

Let's get it on, honey.
David Duchovny said in a facebook chat, or AMA, or something (can't recall) that Gillian would dye her hair red again for the show.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

She was blonde for the second movie which felt odd and I'm glad she's going back to red for the new series. It's only right.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I wonder if they're going to act like that movie exists.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I think there will be many things they won't acknowledge besides that.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've started watching this and I'm working my through. Just started season 4 so far. I don't want spoilers but does the main story get a decent resolution and does the quality ever drop hugely near the end? I can deal with the bad episode now and then

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

I've started watching this and I'm working my through. Just started season 4 so far. I don't want spoilers but does the main story get a decent resolution and does the quality ever drop hugely near the end? I can deal with the bad episode now and then

The first one is sort of true depending on where you stop watching, the second is most definitely true.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

haveblue posted:

The first one is sort of true depending on where you stop watching, the second is most definitely true.

I would say the opposite of that actually. Nothing of the main plot ever gets concluded satisfactorily, usually because Chris Carter got bored of a plot thread or forgot it existed, and the show has major ups and downs in quality from the beginning to the very end. There are great and terrible episodes scattered all throughout its run.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

esselfortium posted:

I would say the opposite of that actually. Nothing of the main plot ever gets concluded satisfactorily, usually because Chris Carter got bored of a plot thread or forgot it existed, and the show has major ups and downs in quality from the beginning to the very end. There are great and terrible episodes scattered all throughout its run.

I really disagree. If you watch the entire show in a short enough time that you can actually remember whats going on from season to season, the whole Syndicate/Smoking Man arc has a very definitive conclusion. Everything after that is only very loosely connected to what came before, but the Syndicate and their relationship to the Colonists is the core of the mythology up until that point and it ends very conclusively.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Once CSM goes a tumbling thats it for him (the finale is stupid as gently caress).

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
For all the talk about how the myth arc sputters out, it kinda ignores how there are really 2 different myth arcs. There is a clear ending to the first one, and then the second one is them saying "well poo poo, now what." There is not much actual connective tissue between the two of them.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

If the first one ends decently I don't really mind if there is a second one that goes bad so much. I'd rather it have a good ending than be dragged out over 9 seasons. If it gets really bad I'll just stop watching.

Does the video quality ever improve on netflix or was it just made too early? Its funny watching this after Fringe because while I knew Fringe borrowed heavily, they pretty much completely steal a bunch of monster of the week episodes

Jose fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 15, 2015

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

Basebf555 posted:

I really disagree. If you watch the entire show in a short enough time that you can actually remember whats going on from season to season, the whole Syndicate/Smoking Man arc has a very definitive conclusion. Everything after that is only very loosely connected to what came before, but the Syndicate and their relationship to the Colonists is the core of the mythology up until that point and it ends very conclusively.

It's not so much that the mytharc (notably the Syndicate/Rebels arc) doesn't have definitive conclusions, it's that a lot of the plot threads and concepts mysteriously change, or get retconned altogether. The concept of what the black oil is, for example, changes multiple times. I do agree with you though, watching the entire show in a short enough amount of time is more conducive to understanding what the hell is going on. It was drat near impossible for me to follow the mytharc watching week-to-week and year-to-year back in the day. But I still loved it, even if I didn't understand what was going on.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Jose posted:

If the first one ends decently I don't really mind if there is a second one that goes bad so much. I'd rather it have a good ending than be dragged out over 9 seasons. If it gets really bad I'll just stop watching.

Does the video quality ever improve on netflix or was it just made too early? Its funny watching this after Fringe because while I knew Fringe borrowed heavily, they pretty much completely steal a bunch of monster of the week episodes

Netflix has the first season in remastered 16x9 1080p, but yeah, the rest has some serious aging and is effectively 480p. Same deal with regards to disc releases.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

f#a# posted:

Netflix has the first season in remastered 16x9 1080p, but as far as I can tell none of the other seasons are remastered. Same deal with regards to disc releases.

Parts of season 2 are also now in HD on netflix

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'm watching the series at around an episode a day or so. I can't imagine how poo poo it would have been to follow live to try and remember things. Simple stuff like the season opening episode being what now would be the season finale to create a cliff hanger

Reaganball Z
Jun 21, 2007
Hybrid children watch the sea Pray for Father, roaming free
I really liked the episode the Smoking Man wrote in Season 7.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The one where he almost successfully seduces Agent Scully?

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Jack Gladney posted:

The one where he almost successfully seduces Agent Scully?

Yeah, "En Ami". Another underrated episode, in my opinion. It's one of those episodes I mostly forget about, until I come upon it in my re-watches, and it pleasantly surprises me. It had some really good dialogue between Scully and CSM.

CSM: "How do you take your coffee?"
Scully: "Unadulterated, thank you."

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
My favorite thing about CSM is that he gets a lot of crap from random X-Files fans for being a Skeptic in real life.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

mr.capps posted:

My favorite thing about CSM is that he gets a lot of crap from random X-Files fans for being a Skeptic in real life.

Isn't Duchovney a pretty firm skeptic and Gillian Anderson more of a believer in real life? I remember reading that in some interview back in the late 90s.

Basket of Kittens
Feb 22, 2008

Across the Rio Grande
So the Amazing Maleeni was just on in HD and widescreen (first I've seen with netflix) but then Orison, the next episode, is back to SD.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

This tattoo episode in season 4 lol

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Also in season 4: Scully straight-up sees a ghost. Total apparition of someone killed by a serial killer. It's ridiculous that she stays totally skeptical after that. I had forgotten she runs into more than just alien poo poo.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I think the best way to rationalise it is that Duane Barry gave her some frontal-lobe damage, so her memory's a bit screwy.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

So in that one where Mulder does a bunch of drugs and has that guy drill into his skull so that he can remember being a kid, did we ever find out if his mom was really cheating on his dad with the smoking man?

The way his confrontation with her plays out just seems like she's a confused old woman who's shocked and pissed that her drugged-up insane kid would accuse her of cheating on her dead husband. Does she even show up again after that, or was that the last conversation she ever has with her son?

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Jack Gladney posted:

So in that one where Mulder does a bunch of drugs and has that guy drill into his skull so that he can remember being a kid, did we ever find out if his mom was really cheating on his dad with the smoking man?

The way his confrontation with her plays out just seems like she's a confused old woman who's shocked and pissed that her drugged-up insane kid would accuse her of cheating on her dead husband. Does she even show up again after that, or was that the last conversation she ever has with her son?

Not only did CSM and Teena Mulder have an affair, but CSM is actually Mulder's biological father. At least, I was under the impression that he was. When Scully tested Jeffrey Spender's DNA (in season 8, I believe), it was similar to Mulder's.

And yeah, she does show up again. Their last conversation, before she committed suicide in season 7, was about Samantha, and how Mulder should let go and move on with his life.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
CSM alludes to the fact that he's Mulder's father multiple times before the DNA reveal in the finale, and he may have even openly claimed it at one point. We'd maybe be tempted to assume he's lying, because its CSM, but then we do see him and Mulder's mother having a heated conversation about something, so it fit. Then in the finale Spender is proven to be related to Mulder, which pretty much ends whatever debate there may have still been.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Basebf555 posted:

CSM alludes to the fact that he's Mulder's father multiple times before the DNA reveal in the finale, and he may have even openly claimed it at one point. We'd maybe be tempted to assume he's lying, because its CSM, but then we do see him and Mulder's mother having a heated conversation about something, so it fit. Then in the finale Spender is proven to be related to Mulder, which pretty much ends whatever debate there may have still been.

They even say it in season 7 when Mulder is going nuts due to the space ship fragment.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Basebf555 posted:

He looks an awful lot like the CSM when he ages from the water in that tanker in season 2

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

night slime posted:

He looks an awful lot like the CSM when he ages from the water in that tanker in season 2

Oh god, that episode, haha. How many times were Mulder and Scully afflicted with some clearly-irreversible ailment that they were completely healed of by the end of the episode?

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

night slime posted:

I love that episode. Scully has a really awesome poetic monologue about a wolf eating the sun or something.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

esselfortium posted:

Oh god, that episode, haha. How many times were Mulder and Scully afflicted with some clearly-irreversible ailment that they were completely healed of by the end of the episode?

The worst was that episode where they were hypermutating and it turned out they were evolving into salamanders and had salamander babies but then they just cut to the end of the episode and somehow despite the rest of the episode being a struggle with their condition the doctor somehow just makes them human again offscreen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
In general, the X-Files was not particularly concerned with continuity, except for the few episodes per season when it was, and even then there wasn't that much continuity.

• Locked thread