Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Phuzun posted:

Yeah, so I must have hit Enter while in VR at some point, cause brake assist was bound to it and it was mysteriously turned on. Would have been nice to know that I had that bound or if I could change options during a race.

There are multiple requests on their forums to have HUD indicators that tell you when you change assist settings in race. Of course... there are multiple requests for all sorts of fairly obvious poo poo that should be in this game, but goddammit if I don't find it still a lot of fun to play.

We just finished some 5 man racing this evening, so take this post as a "you guys really missed out" post. There was Formula Gulf 1000s, Caterhams in the rain, Cosworths at Nordschleife... Was that all we did? Seemed like more than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

the witcher is a good game and all but its no excuse to not race every hour of your god drat worthless lives

still, we had a lot of fun in the dry and in the wet

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Well I don't exactly have a HUD anyways in VR view. But it'd have been nice to have gameplay and control options in the pause menu. Really though, the UI would have to be my primary complaint. They need to hire up a UI dev.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Damnit I wish my work schedule didn't suck so much. I usually have openings in the morning so if you guys see me (Sigma One) on Steam playing the game I'm most likely up for some MP.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Has anyone tried the suspend/resume feature with this on PS4 for long races? I want to try races as close to as realistic in length as possible.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Apparently the flood gates are open after Superkarts (only if you win a lot?) for you Zero to Hero pursuers out there. I can sign contracts for: Superkarts (renewal), GT3, UK Clio Cup (first touring one) x2, Formula Rookie x2, Formula C x2, LMP3 Semi Pro, and LMP2. As far as I can tell, there's no benefit for jumping ahead to complete the Zero to Hero quicker (doesn't track how many seasons it took for e-peen measurements) though so I'm probably just going to continue on to Formula Rookie (tested both those and the Clio awhile ago and vehicle-wise Formula Rookie seems like the clear winner).

Rad Valtar posted:

Has anyone tried the suspend/resume feature with this on PS4 for long races? I want to try races as close to as realistic in length as possible.
Do you really though? Just finished a 2-hour (minimum duration) edition of the 24 Hours at Le Mans and that was quite the affair itself. Does PC even get access to a suspend/resume feature? Really lame if not. Assuming that works though: as close to realistic as possible should be the full thing (think the longest events are 25 hours?) unless that's different on PS4 vs. PC.

Some general comments on Le Mans:
- Really cool that it actually divides by class so my picking an LMP1 put me in a race of 7, despite having 30 cars on the track simultaneously (all are pooled for Practice/Qualifying).
- They really need to make AI responsive to cars coming up on them (headlights flashing to trigger this awareness would be acceptable... also making it so doing so doesn't turn your headlights off completely while dark would also be a plus) since this was a notable issue that multiple times forced me to pass in the grass to do so "safely" when not happening on the straightaway areas (extra cool that doing so often invalidated current and next lap because, I think, any off-track after T2 does that... which is a huge chunk of track on an ~8.5 mile track... especially since T2-to-start/finish is the high speed winding turns area where AI are the biggest nuisance hogging the raceable surface). Playing with full damage made some passes scare me when there was paint traded.*
- Hilariously, the single race made the car (RWD P30 LMP1**) and track my "favorites" on my driver profile (putting both into the 500+ mile range), snuffing out the numerous Kart races that caused Glencairn to be my previous "favorite" locale.
- Ended the race at lap 34 after the 2 hours had elapsed, was a little scared doing so since I had ~1/3 lap of fuel left and was just going on logic/hope the race ended at the first passing of the finish line after time was up.
- Had no cautions I saw (assuming this is even a thing in offline... saw it happen in a goon race a couple nights back) and only evidence of one major wall impact by an AI leaving a couple body panels in the grass.
- The Default car setup had the turbo Wastegate Pressure maxed and I rolled with it. Things seemed to be getting a little more sluggish by late race, but the scary engine damage the tooltip warns of won't kill your engine completely in two hours (least with this car). :sweatdrop:
- Managed to win by a solid minute and ~35 seconds thanks to going bold on my pit strategy of full fuel tank (the first run, I realized slightly less than full was all I needed after the first set because the extra 4 [liters? gallons?] would've left me dry mid-lap trying to push it further) allowing me to do only two pit stops the entire two hours while the AI seemed to be taking ~half tanks and had to pit a lot more (when things cycled at one point about an hour in, an AI ended up a mere ~2.5 seconds back which was a concern); thankfully it was a rain-free race which could've seriously screwed up my long-runs strategy.

All-in-all a good time. Maybe when SMS deals with AMD cards running like poo poo I could try streaming since an endurance race seems like a good background stream for people doing other things (and hoping I crash :ohdear:).

* Recently drove on Bathurst for the first time. I do not look forward to the Endurance race there with the walls right up against the racing surface with no run-off areas at all on most turns. Similarly, Nürburgring will be quite a test with slim run-off areas and long winding roadway not giving much respite in the form of long straightaways.
** The rear facing camera monitor in the cockpit is too cool in this thing. Will be sad going back to other cars that rely on clearly inferior technology (mirrors).

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

bUm posted:

Apparently the flood gates are open after Superkarts (only if you win a lot?) for you Zero to Hero pursuers out there. I can sign contracts for: Superkarts (renewal), GT3, UK Clio Cup (first touring one) x2, Formula Rookie x2, Formula C x2, LMP3 Semi Pro, and LMP2. As far as I can tell, there's no benefit for jumping ahead to complete the Zero to Hero quicker (doesn't track how many seasons it took for e-peen measurements) though so I'm probably just going to continue on to Formula Rookie (tested both those and the Clio awhile ago and vehicle-wise Formula Rookie seems like the clear winner).

I think this is good if you're already familiar with the diciplines. Being able to skip the FR cars to go straight to FC is gonna make trying to get the achievement less horrific, though it'll still mean either going through FA or Endurance.

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.

Rad Valtar posted:

I'd love to get goons together to race but I only ever see maybe 1 person in ps4 playing.

...that person is me and we really need more people on PS4 to play with although I'm up for racing pretty much whenever so just send me a message on PSN and I presume my phone will let me know.

:siren:If you are on PS4 please, please, post your PSN ID:siren:

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

bUm posted:

I was looking through the profile stuff last night as I finished the first Kart season and the only thing available at that point was Superkarts. I think there are achievements associated with doing Zero to Hero in a maximum number of seasons... I think it's like "win an LMP2 championship in 12 seasons or less starting from Tier 8" or something.

But if I recall correctly, the counter on the seasons (and this is after I had just finished one) said 0/12. Sooooo probably bugged?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Essobie posted:

I was looking through the profile stuff last night as I finished the first Kart season and the only thing available at that point was Superkarts. I think there are achievements associated with doing Zero to Hero in a maximum number of seasons... I think it's like "win an LMP2 championship in 12 seasons or less starting from Tier 8" or something.

But if I recall correctly, the counter on the seasons (and this is after I had just finished one) said 0/12. Sooooo probably bugged?

I was looking through the game's achievements yesterday and there's no achievement for doing Zero to Hero in under 10 seasons. There is an achievement for driving the 3 Azure Coast tracks at the speed limit (50kmh) though. There's one for completing a race on Azure Circuit from cockpit view driving entirely in reverse without colliding with anything too.

I love stupid achievements.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 21, 2015

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Poison Jam posted:

Exemptmule72

I am however quite poo poo. And in the UK so don't know how the lag will work out.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'd do terrible things to have this by the weekend for this years Indy.
http://www.wmdportal.com/projectnews/experience-the-indianapolis-500-in-project-cars/

I just want to do 220mph+ laps around an oval in a DW12 and not pay 12 bucks a month.

Also, saw this on Gaf. Please let it be a good followup to the g27 with PS4 support.

Norns fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 21, 2015

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Norns posted:

I just want to do 220mph+ laps around an oval in a DW12 and not pay 12 bucks a month.

rFactor 2? Forza? There are options.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Where on gaf?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

http://www.maxconsole.com/news/GENERAL/EXCLUSIVE--Logitech-G29-Driving-Force-Racing-Wheel-Info-RKSID00000000000000003301.html

looks like the G27 and DFGT had a baby

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Norns posted:

Also, saw this on Gaf. Please let it be a good followup to the g27 with PS4 support.

PleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePlease

Also PSN=Fingers_M

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like how the article claims the G27 is "outdated".

It's a steering wheel you can plugin to a computer or console. It has some buttons.

Nothing about that is outdated.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

GutBomb posted:

rFactor 2? Forza? There are options.

But my eyeball candy...

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Well outdated by ps4 standards, which is its missing some poo poo sony required the 3rd party controllers to have to work.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's on the console manufacturers for throwing everything out for no good reason with each new generation.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
That G29 better be a quieter rig. I'd like to have a backup of a very reliable company compared to my stuff from Fanatec.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
AI being immune to the slow down going off the track is my biggest issue right now. Behind 2 cars who are battling, one forces the other guy way off the track into the gravel, he is just as fast as I am and manages to get back on the track and keep his 2-3 second lead.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

That G29 looks pretty sweet, my G25 has been fantastic and I only really care to upgrade when it either dies, or if I can get a good wheel that supports both PS4 and Xbox 360/One. Dammit Microsoft and your Device DRM BS, :argh:

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

Athanatos posted:

AI being immune to the slow down going off the track is my biggest issue right now. Behind 2 cars who are battling, one forces the other guy way off the track into the gravel, he is just as fast as I am and manages to get back on the track and keep his 2-3 second lead.

Mine is the AI being unaffected by cold tires or weather, taking turns smashing into me on my warmup lap.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

I am a baby who bought this on a whim and plays on novice (PS4) and I'd like to get better, what are some things I should know about Serious Driving™ to improve myself?

PSN = Imperiled_War

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Gyre posted:

I am a baby who bought this on a whim and plays on novice (PS4) and I'd like to get better, what are some things I should know about Serious Driving™ to improve myself?

PSN = Imperiled_War

But a wheel and this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Going-Faster-Mastering-Race-Driving/dp/0837602262

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Gyre posted:

PSN = Imperiled_War

Disable the guiding line and ABS (I still use turn indicators), get used to analog braking and acceleration, never go out on the track with a full tank of fuel.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Gyre posted:

PSN = Imperiled_War

Steady, assured inputs. Brake once, and adjust with throttle. Plan for the turn ahead. Drive tracks a lot.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Poison Jam posted:

...that person is me and we really need more people on PS4 to play with although I'm up for racing pretty much whenever so just send me a message on PSN and I presume my phone will let me know.

My psn id is AzMiLion, I'm terrible at racing games, shame i can't build a nurderbentley in this,

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'm on psn

bird_law111

AOTKPTW
Nov 27, 2011

#nalPlE
Just got to Formula Rookie in Zero to Hero. PS4 with a controller and up for some races, based in UK though.

PSN: sfnyo

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Wooper posted:

Mine is the AI being unaffected by cold tires or weather, taking turns smashing into me on my warmup lap.
Stumbled across the known issues list last night after my setup drastically changed (pretty much every single tuning option the car had was altered... which was almost all of them since it was an LMP1 car) between the Practice/Qualifying and the actual race.

Glad to see the AI not being affected by weather (in some cars) one listed among some other things I'd run across.

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

My gosh, you're right Sam! THE GORILLA SHOULD BE DRIVING!

njsykora posted:

There's one for completing a race on Azure Circuit from cockpit view driving entirely in reverse without colliding with anything too.

I love stupid achievements.

Its me. I am the one who did that.

Kaddion fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 21, 2015

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Norns posted:

I'd do terrible things to have this by the weekend for this years Indy.
http://www.wmdportal.com/projectnews/experience-the-indianapolis-500-in-project-cars/

I got all excited and then finally saw that was from a year ago. Is that poo poo ever actually coming out?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
If anyone was interested, there's talk of a class action lawsuit forming on the WMD forums and r/pcars.

:ironicat:

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Basticle posted:

I got all excited and then finally saw that was from a year ago. Is that poo poo ever actually coming out?

I say there's a chance only because if I remember correctly, long ago there was actual nascar-esque stock car racing in the game. I'd not be surprised if there was a "just turn left" expansion pack or whatever.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

holocaust bloopers posted:

If anyone was interested, there's talk of a class action lawsuit forming on the WMD forums and r/pcars.

So if you make a game without asking for community input you suck, and if you do ask for input but it's not all listened to and acted upon you get sued? Ridiculous.

It is this about the DLC?

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 22, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

GutBomb posted:

So if you make a game without asking for community input you suck, and if you do ask for input but it's not all listened to and acted upon you get sued? Ridiculous.

It's typical poo poo. A very vocal minority have a skewed view of what constitutes being lied to. The big complaint is that the mods are banning anyone who mentions bugs. I've been reading the forums off and on this week and have yet to see anyone get banned. Hell some posters yell at the SMS president and he's just being as open as he can.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

holocaust bloopers posted:

I loving hate the Internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Very Funny.
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcars/comments/36rw03/project_cars_forum_moderators_banning_customers/?sort=new

• Locked thread