Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

my bony fealty posted:

Looks like he forgot the third measure.

oh my god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

e: http://nypost.com/2015/05/20/hillarys-private-spy-and-their-shady-foreign-policy/

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Concerned Citizen posted:

The RCP average is currently:

1. Jeb (15.4)
2. Walker (13.2)
3. Rubio (13.2)
4. Paul (9.2)
5. Huckabee (8.6)
6. Cruz (8.6)
7. Carson (7.8)
8. Christie (5.4)
9. Perry (2.4)
10. Santorum (2.3)
11. Kasich (2.0)
12. Fiorina (1.3)
13. Jindal (1.3)
14. Graham (1.3)

If Trump actually announces, he could very well bump Santorum or Perry off. The death zone there is perilously close.

You forgot the spots for Don't Know and None of the Above, both of which poll around 7-15%

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

comes along bort posted:

You forgot the spots for Don't Know and None of the Above, both of which poll around 7-15%

"The part of 'None of the Above' will be played in tonight's debate by Jon Stewart."

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Concerned Citizen posted:

The RCP average is currently:

1. Jeb (15.4)
2. Walker (13.2)
3. Rubio (13.2)
4. Paul (9.2)
5. Huckabee (8.6)
6. Cruz (8.6)
7. Carson (7.8)
8. Christie (5.4)
9. Perry (2.4)
10. Santorum (2.3)
11. Kasich (2.0)
12. Fiorina (1.3)
13. Jindal (1.3)
14. Graham (1.3)

If Trump actually announces, he could very well bump Santorum or Perry off. The death zone there is perilously close.

Yeah, but several of those may not actually end up declaring (Christie being the most likely one to matter) and Trump announcing will shift allegiances in other ways, so Perry and Santorum may just stay in or even possibly (if unlikely) trade places with Fiorina and Graham depending on how voters realign themselves across the field.

And that's even before opinions change in the next two months as Perry and Santorum get bounces from officially announcing, which will necessarily push them out of that death zone. Carson was drifting below the 5.0 mark before he declared, and this time last month, Rubio was behind Huckabee, Cruz and Paul. Then he officially declared and welp. That said, Perry and Santorum are starting from so far behind that they may not even be able to eclipse Christie with their bounce (Fiorina didn't even get one).

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The selection rules might shift some strategies and actually give a bit of an advantage to the fringe candidates. The entrance criteria is based on national polling, so it doesn't really matter how many Pizza Ranches you stake out in Iowa. To shift the national polls, the candidates need to do big events in the early primary states that draw media, or do cable TV spots. And who gets the most cable TV spots? The people who don't care how much crazy poo poo comes out of their mouth when in front of a camera!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

^^^If they stick by the "top ten" rule and it causes some latecoming serious contenders to get cut for the likes of Carson or Santorum (better still, thrown into the kids-table debate with the other real fringers) the whole election will be worthwhile.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

"The part of 'None of the Above' will be played in tonight's debate by Jon Stewart."

If I could work my will on the world, I would force the Republican primary debates to include Jon Stewart as a candidate. I would also accept Stephen Colbert as a debate moderator.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 21, 2015

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Dolash posted:

If I could work my will on the world, I would force the Republican primary debates to include Jon Stewart as a candidate. I would also accept Stephen Colbert as a debate moderator.

I know, right? I didn't realize how desperately I wanted this until I was typing that post.

I also kind of wish they'd do a bracket-style elimination tournament. Like, one hour a day, five days a week. First four days, each candidate - selected at random using the same ping-pong ball machine they use for the NBA draft, with the selection process being broadcast live online - is placed in a Division (named after the first four GOP Presidents, of course). Each Division has their own individual debate, with a panel of judges announcing their selection as winner. On Friday each of the four winners participates in the Final Four Debate; no judges for that one, just the voters deciding who they thought won.

Seriously, tell me that wouldn't be compelling TV. Ben Carson as the Cinderella out of the Rutherford B. Hayes Division! Ted Cruz winning a packed James Garfield Division! poo poo, you could even include American Idol-style call-in voting to supplement the judges' scoring and use that to recoup some of the airtime costs.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Dolash posted:

^^^If they stick by the "top ten" rule and it causes some latecoming serious contenders to get cut for the likes of Carson or Santorum (better still, thrown into the kids-table debate with the other real fringers) the whole election will be worthwhile.

I doubt it. The only ones on that list who would meet "late coming serious contenders" would be Jeb, Walker and debatably Christie and Perry. And of those, only the latter two (mostly Perry) are at risk of being punted to the kiddy table. As much as I'd like Jeb to be punted from Fox to CNN, I don't think that's going to happen.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

They don't have to be candidates with a real shot in order for them getting bumped to be funny - many have said Graham's only in the race to push Neocon foreign policy and snap at Rand Paul, and shunting him to a sideshow to debate Fiorina and Jindal instead would make for good, bitter TV. God help us if anyone like Christie or Perry don't make the cut, I bet they'd rather not do the overflow-debate at all in that case.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Keeping Graham away from Paul is the very definition of bad TV.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Dolash posted:

I would also accept Stephen Colbert as a debate moderator.

CNN, are you listening?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I also kind of wish they'd do a bracket-style elimination tournament. Like, one hour a day, five days a week. First four days, each candidate - selected at random using the same ping-pong ball machine they use for the NBA draft, with the selection process being broadcast live online - is placed in a Division (named after the first four GOP Presidents, of course). Each Division has their own individual debate, with a panel of judges announcing their selection as winner. On Friday each of the four winners participates in the Final Four Debate; no judges for that one, just the voters deciding who they thought won.

I'd rather they just had the Thunderdome. I mean really, if I were looking for a Republican nominee, I'd want the one hungry enough they'd kill for the gig.

Skeevy Mcgee
Feb 17, 2007

comes along bort posted:

"None of the Above" are the people saying there won't be any elections after Jade Helm 15.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Jeb Bush on climate change:

quote:

Jeb Bush hit back against President Obama's claim that climate change runs an immediate risk, saying Wednesday that while it shouldn't be ignored, it's still not "the highest priority."

As he has before, Bush acknowledged "the climate is changing" but stressed that it's unknown why. "I don't think the science is clear of what percentage is man-made and what percentage is natural. It's convoluted," he said at a house party in Bedford, New Hampshire.

"For the people to say the science is decided on this is really arrogant, to be honest with you," he continued. "It's this intellectual arrogance that now you can't have a conversation about it, even. The climate is changing. We need to adapt to that reality."

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Climate change: if we can't tell precisely what percent is a natural cycle versus what percent is human caused, then gently caress it there's nothing to be done but react to the inevitable!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think I respect the fingers in ears "lalala it's not happening" people more than that. To admit climate is changing but we need to be Serious about this and not rush to make any changes that might hurt the bottom line of people paying me off the jobs of hard working Americans is irritatingly two faced.

Two months ago I thought Jeb had this in the bag but his campaign (or whatever it counts as now) is such a mess I have no idea anymore.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Radish posted:

I think I respect the fingers in ears "lalala it's not happening" people more than that. To admit climate is changing but we need to be Serious about this and not rush to make any changes that might hurt the bottom line of people paying me off the jobs of hard working Americans is irritatingly two faced.

We will innovate our way out of this problem. Think of all the jobs this new challenge could create! Americans will persevere just as we have since the birth of our great nation. Stop looking for big government to solve your problems and being a defeatist.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Ted Cruz announced this morning that his Presidential campaign has been endorsed by Louie Gohmert. :toot:

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I can't wait for a bunch of rich dudes to make a shitload of money on ridiculous geoengineering boondoggles after delaying action on climate change long enough that ridiculous geoengineering boondoggles are our only hope.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Wow, Hillary is already creating jobs!

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Peel posted:

I can't wait for a bunch of rich dudes to make a shitload of money on ridiculous geoengineering boondoggles after delaying action on climate change long enough that ridiculous geoengineering boondoggles are our only hope.

gently caress it. There is no hope.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I know this is from a week ago, but I cannot resist:

computer parts posted:

George I'm not a politician...I'm a Statesman!

A statesman... is a dead politician.

(I have faith that someone else will get the reference and supply the next line.)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Radish posted:

Two months ago I thought Jeb had this in the bag but his campaign (or whatever it counts as now) is such a mess I have no idea anymore.

I suspect t the people who pointed out Jeb would be crippled because he hasn't run for office in a decade were really onto something. He's just coming across as awkward. Rusty.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I suspect t the people who pointed out Jeb would be crippled because he hasn't run for office in a decade were really onto something. He's just coming across as awkward. Rusty.

Actually, that global warming statement is the least rusty thing he's said in a while. It's not like there aren't Republicans in the Senate who have said the exact same thing (hell, one of the other candidates in the 2016 race even) that it's too presumptuous and arrogant of humanity to think that man could be powerful enough to cause global warming. Heck, I've heard my dad say as much to me recently, so you know the idea is out there and going to appeal to a non-negligible chunk of Republican voters.

TL;DR: I don't think that soundbite is nearly as damaging to Jeb's prospects as you think it is, given what party he's running in.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 21, 2015

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

I kind of dismissed that idea because of the team he has backing him up, but I think you're right. I'm amazed that he is loving this up as much as he is.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Based entirely on my pessimism, Jeb is totally fine and nothing he can say will jeopardize his campaign.

Jeb is this year's Romney. Walker is this year's Santorum, and Rubio might be this year's Gingrich.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Actually, that global warming statement is the least rusty thing he's said in a while. It's not like there aren't Republicans in the Senate who have said the exact same thing (hell, one of the other candidates in the 2016 race even) that it's too presumptuous and arrogant of humanity to think that man could be powerful enough to cause global warming. Heck, I've heard my dad say as much to me recently, so you know the idea is out there and going to appeal to a non-negligible chunk of Republican voters.

TL;DR: I don't think that soundbite is nearly as damaging to Jeb's prospects as you think it is, given what party he's running in.

I agree - this isn't some kind of stumble or gaffe; this is Jeb expressing his actual policy position on climate change.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

messagemode1 posted:

Based entirely on my pessimism, Jeb is totally fine and nothing he can say will jeopardize his campaign.

Jeb is this year's Romney. Walker is this year's Santorum, and Rubio might be this year's Gingrich.

But who will be Ron Paul???!?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

The Nastier Nate posted:

But who will be Ron Paul???!?

That's a tough one.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Aliquid posted:

Keeping Graham away from Paul is the very definition of bad TV.

Entertainment wise sure but keeping the "bomb Iran" and "Benghaziiiiiiiiiiiiii" caucus away from the microphone is a net benefit for the country.

It will be plenty amusing to watch the other serious candidates be forced to go after Paul on it because they won't have Graham there to do the dirty work.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

Ted Cruz announced this morning that his Presidential campaign has been endorsed by Louie Gohmert. :toot:

Ted Cruz 2016: Dinner And A Show

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Haha I love the final two sentences that seem to negate everything else he just said

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

iCarly may have trouble finding good staffers: http://www.businessinsider.com/r-paid-late-some-ex-staffers-of-white-house-hopeful-fiorina-wont-sign-on-again-2015-5

quote:

Politics has a well-known revolving door, with candidates often rehiring consultants, strategists, and vendors as they move from one campaign to the next. But for Republican presidential contender Carly Fiorina, that might not be so easy.

Twelve of about 30 people who worked on Fiorina’s failed 2010 California Senate campaign, most speaking out for the first time, told Reuters they would not work for her again. Fiorina, once one of America's most powerful businesswomen, is now campaigning for the Republican nomination in 2016.

The reason: For more than four years, Fiorina — who has an estimated net worth of up to $120 million — didn’t pay them, a review of Federal Election Commission records shows.

On the campaign trail, the former Hewlett-Packard CEO has portrayed herself as a battle-hardened business leader who possesses the best financial skills among fellow Republican presidential hopefuls. But some former staffers on her Senate campaign are now raising questions about that portrayal.

Federal campaign filings show that, until a few months before Fiorina announced her presidential bid on May 4, she still owed staffers, consultants, strategists, legal experts, and vendors nearly half a million dollars.

FEC records show, for example, that her former campaign manager Martin Wilson was owed $80,500; legal counsel Ben Ginsberg $60,000, and the widow of California political adviser Joe Shumate, who died during the final month of the campaign, at least $30,000.

Ultimately, Fiorina paid them. Fiorina's campaign declined to give reasons for the delay, which was first reported in the San Francisco Chronicle.

“I’d rather go to Iraq than work for Carly Fiorina again,” said one high-level former campaign staffer, who asked not to be identified, citing disclosure restrictions in his contract.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Pfftahahahahaha. gently caress you, Fiorina.

Also I remember in like October 2010, I'd get ads on YouTube from her featuring some 20-something voters saying "what the hell does Barbara Boxer do??? she's been there for a long time!" And she still lost miserably.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Barring anything cataclysmic, is Kamala Harris going to turn the CA Senate race into a laugher?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Alter Ego posted:

Barring anything cataclysmic, is Kamala Harris going to turn the CA Senate race into a laugher?

Yeah. She's got about a 90% chance to win the primary and a 99% chance to win the general.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

How is not paying people until you're absolutely forced to not the logical and most business appropriate decision to make, given the time value of money? This is evidence that her business instincts are as sharp as ever.

At least that's what I would think if I were a libertarian.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

computer parts posted:

They got rid of Lou Dobbs so they're actually better than in the past.

Worth remembering that Glenn Beck's show was on CNN Headline News from 2006 to 2008.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jeb is currently still running in the invisible primary and has yet to actually start campaigning for votes instead of dollars. I don't think Right to Rise has reported how much it has yet, so it's hard to tell how well his money campaign is actually going.

• Locked thread