Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
like, what it just a story about how an iphone is locked down or that you want to use it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

noirstronaut posted:

like, what it just a story about how an iphone is locked down or that you want to use it

What did you just say about my mother?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Kidney Stone posted:

They've blocked installation of new apps (except for the ones which are company approved), you can't use your own iTunes account, they can (and will) read all your contacts, every entry in the calendar, your call list, your text messages and how much data you've used...

I support Airwatch (enterprise iOS/Android poo poo) for my job and yep, this is normal for business phones. A lot of companies are doing it now in order to move away from Blackberry, and data security is becoming a huge priority for companies (finally).

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Our company recently started using MobileIron and Divide on work phones and everybody hates it. It's cut mobile productivity down severely. Thankfully I keep my work and personal phones separate but it has even deeper repercussions, like not being able to use IMAP clients on desktops anymore and only being able to use specific computers to read email. Makes working from home much more difficult.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Kidney Stone posted:

Nope, unless you're management, we aren't supposed to use the phones outside work hours (which is fom 7 in the morning, until 17 in the afternoon, for me it's 7:00 to 14:30).
So in effect, instead of a corded landline phone on your desk you have a 5c sitting on your desk. OK.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

So in effect, instead of a corded landline phone on your desk you have a 5c sitting on your desk. OK.

Well, it's effectively a landline that your company can now use to surveil you. A win-win, really!

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

tuyop posted:

Well, it's effectively a landline that your company can now use to surveil you. A win-win, really!

If it stays on your desk and is only used for work purposes, how is it any different than before?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

It's uglier.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Yeah, doesn't make a lot of sense.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Super Dude posted:

If it stays on your desk and is only used for work purposes, how is it any different than before?

Well now they can read the text messages that you send to each other bitching about how they're watching you write text messages.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Loucks posted:

It's uglier.

:lol:

for content: my iPhone 6 is on 8.1 and getting a bit buggy. the message app froze in landscape mode but the keyboard would flip between portrait and landscape quickly. also nobody trust your iPhone 6 in a Lifeproof case. They will eventually leak in the back window that is used to show off the apple logo of all places. Luckily there was only damage to the mic.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Is that confirmed? It works with the leather case?

They say so in the description that it works with Apple cases. :shrug:

Don't see any reason why it wouldn't work with a 6, the case is open at the bottom. For the 5/5S/5C crowd the actual lightning connector protrudes, unlike almost every other dock :argh: , so it should fit.

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

tesilential posted:

my iPhone 6 is on 8.1 and getting a bit buggy. the message app froze in landscape mode but the keyboard would flip between portrait and landscape quickly.

Update your software.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

banana allergy posted:

Update your software.

my iPhone 4 still runs like a top on 4.1, by most accounts the ones on iOS 7 run like poo poo nowadays, so i've grown paranoid of software updates unnecessarily bogging down hardware until it's unusable. that being said these next few minor updates probably won't make a difference.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

tesilential posted:

my iPhone 4 still runs like a top on 4.1, by most accounts the ones on iOS 7 run like poo poo nowadays, so i've grown paranoid of software updates unnecessarily bogging down hardware until it's unusable. that being said these next few minor updates probably won't make a difference.
lol

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
how can you possibly think "this software is buggy but updating it couldn't possibly fix it?"

i don't get it

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

tesilential posted:

You haven't updated your phone in five years?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

tesilential posted:

:eyepop:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
:lol: back when the YouTube app icon was an old-timey TV

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

So do you never use any apps on your phone?

It's been about two and a half years since developers were basically forced to abandon everything below iOS 6 when posting to the store.

poo poo, Steve Jobs was still alive when you last updated your phone. In fact he lived for over another year.

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Yeah man good point, your new phone is gonna suck after you update to 8.3. Might as well live with it until you're due for an upgrade, but at that point the iPhone 8 will be less than a year away and at that point you might as well wait until the 8S so they work all the bugs out.

Software updates exist to make your phone better. A phone will usually handle several major updates until it starts to suffer, and by then it's essentially no longer state-of-the-art hardware and you need to decide whether you want to pay for the new fast thing or hang onto the old one until it gives out.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

tesilential posted:

:lol:

for content: my iPhone 6 is on 8.1 and getting a bit buggy. the message app froze in landscape mode but the keyboard would flip between portrait and landscape quickly. also nobody trust your iPhone 6 in a Lifeproof case. They will eventually leak in the back window that is used to show off the apple logo of all places. Luckily there was only damage to the mic.

you have the newest phone tho wtf

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There's merit to not updating, if your phone is more than 2 years old.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

banana allergy posted:

Software updates exist to make your phone better. A phone will usually handle several major updates until it starts to suffer, and by then it's essentially no longer state-of-the-art hardware and you need to decide whether you want to pay for the new fast thing or hang onto the old one until it gives out.

Except when new versions run like poo poo on old hardware. My girlfriend has a 4S and iOS 8 runs AWFUL on it, and of course there's no way to downgrade.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
but

he has the newest phone

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

kitten smoothie posted:

So do you never use any apps on your phone?

It's been about two and a half years since developers were basically forced to abandon everything below iOS 6 when posting to the store.

poo poo, Steve Jobs was still alive when you last updated your phone. In fact he lived for over another year.

I imagine those are never updated either.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

banana allergy posted:

I agree it's a bit funny to have a iPhone 6 and not upgrade to 8.3; he probably has a jailbreak he doesn't want to bring up for whatever reason.

That said, your statement is completely wrong. Software updates exist because it would involve more effort to support multiple different OS versions.

An iPhone will in no way handle "several" major updates before starting to suffer. 2 at most.

Keeping your phone on the old OS is a perfectly cromulent strategy if you're happy with its current list of apps.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

fleshweasel posted:

There's merit to not updating, if your phone is more than 2 years old.

This only really applies to major updates. Point updates are, at worst, no better, and pretty commonly improve performance, even on older devices.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
I have a question about family sharing. I hope this is the best place for such a question.

My wife and I are thinking of using family sharing but I'm trying to determine if the sharing of apps is bidirectional. If I create the family sharing on my device and invite my wife so that she can get apps I've purchased are apps she has purchased prior to joining the family sharing available to me on my device?

Finally are there any gotchas I should be aware of before setting up and using family sharing.

Thanks!

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
If you guys generally don't give a poo poo, you could just share the same iTunes accounts for the App Store. It doesn't interfere with the account you use for Messages etc etc

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
No, we already have app purchases on two separate iTunes accounts.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Oh. Wel then, yeah, it works both ways.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

This only really applies to major updates. Point updates are, at worst, no better, and pretty commonly improve performance, even on older devices.

This is really true, and it made me feel sorry for my friend who just didn't bother to update his 4s to 7.1 before 8.0 came out.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
people who don't update are objectively living incorrect lives

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

noirstronaut posted:

Oh. Wel then, yeah, it works both ways.

Just know that any new purchases get charged to the credit card on the master account. They still "belong" to the iTunes account of the user that bought them though.

Also IAPs get billed that same way but don't share :(

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
To be fair, 8 was a mess on the 4S at launch, but by 8.2/8.3 it was a lot faster. My partner used it and found no huge difference between 8.3 and 7.whatever.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I have no idea how but i managed to put a small crease in the back of my iPhone 6. Im pretty careful with my stuff, too.

Whats more annoying is my iPad Air had the same thing happen to it and it literally only moves from my nightstand to my bed.

The quest for thinness is costing durability.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

robodex posted:

To be fair, 8 was a mess on the 4S at launch, but by 8.2/8.3 it was a lot faster. My partner used it and found no huge difference between 8.3 and 7.whatever.

Yeah my GF was running 7 on a 4, it ran like total poo poo. She recently got a 4S and 8.3 works fine.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
How in the world do people think upgrading an iPhone 4 to iOS 7 and an iPhone 6 from 8.0 to 8.3 is the same thing?

And for two people who have traditionally used individual iTunes accounts, Family Sharing is really good. It gets a lot of poo poo for some reason, but I set it up for my wife and I last year and it has always worked great. Plus I get to see when she buys something ridiculous like Candy Crush gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

maduin posted:

Candy Crush.

Sever!