Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
Finally got around to playing episode 3 last night and holy poo poo I hope they do not stick with this new timeline, I didn't even want to save Chloe's dad because I loving knew poo poo like that would have dire and unpredictable repercussions so the game not giving you a choice in a situation that completely erased everything you did previously would be the biggest dick move. Overall I think ep.3 sucked compared to 2 because it felt terribly linear in comparison.

Also Kate and Chloe's Mom are the only characters I have actually taken a liking to. Everyone else I spoke to seems to like Chloe but she really gets on my nerves and half the time she's just taking advantage of Max to further her own dumb agenda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't hate Chloe but she's definitely lacking in awareness that like half the lovely stuff that happened to her is her fault, on the other hand she has a good reason for going off the rails and loving up.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't hate Chloe but she's definitely lacking in awareness that like half the lovely stuff that happened to her is her fault, on the other hand she has a good reason for going off the rails and loving up.

I like that you can make that point in her car and she kind of agrees. Young Chloe is adorable, maybe Alt-Chloe will be cool too?

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

She's 18. 18 year olds are self-involved short-sighted fuckheads. Source: I spent an entire year of my life as an 18 year old.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Just finished it last night. Some stuff I want to talk about later but I'll just say this much right now: whatever god, deity, supernatural being, or Lovecraftian horror that inhabits Blackwell is, it absolutely loving hates Chloe.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
^^^ Am I... Am I God of this game world? Woah. Makes you think.

Rosalind posted:

She's 18. 18 year olds are self-involved short-sighted fuckheads. Source: I spent an entire year of my life as an 18 year old.

No, only some of them. And then some more than others. Sorry about your fuckheaded teeanage year.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
The real saving grace of the new timeline is that Warren isn't being a clingy creep to me anymore. Also I reckon that if you continue to save chubby wiccan girl from getting beaned in the face by things she is gonna figure you out eventually, at least I hope so.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Watering my plant had consequences :(

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

If she hasn't put together that there's something up with Max by now it probably won't happen and it's just a running joke.

I will say the episode made me come around to Chloe more after being the raging insecure butt she was last time.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Roman Reigns posted:

If she hasn't put together that there's something up with Max by now it probably won't happen and it's just a running joke.

I will say the episode made me come around to Chloe more after being the raging insecure butt she was last time.

This episode actually made me have a worse opinion of Chloe, like during her angry rant she went "oh kate tried to kill herself, boohoo, such sad", which i can only assume is even more disrespectful if she actually did kill herself, and her not caring that we might have just killed Frank's dog

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

she doesn't say anything like that if Kate is dead

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

epitasis posted:

she doesn't say anything like that if Kate is dead

She does. You just need to say that Chloe is responsible for her actions and she answers with the same doge-speak drivel.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Catpiss Neverclean posted:

Finally got around to playing episode 3 last night and holy poo poo I hope they do not stick with this new timeline, I didn't even want to save Chloe's dad because I loving knew poo poo like that would have dire and unpredictable repercussions so the game not giving you a choice in a situation that completely erased everything you did previously would be the biggest dick move. Overall I think ep.3 sucked compared to 2 because it felt terribly linear in comparison.

Also Kate and Chloe's Mom are the only characters I have actually taken a liking to. Everyone else I spoke to seems to like Chloe but she really gets on my nerves and half the time she's just taking advantage of Max to further her own dumb agenda.

This is why I don't think the new timeline will stick. They've given you too many big options, and I think Dontnod are smart enough to know it would upset people if they railroad you into the alternate storyline.

Besides, the Ep4 preview has Max back in her old hoodie and clothes for the End of the World Party.

I always liked Chloe, and I really loved this episode for her and Max's interactions. I don't think she's being disrespectful or wrong in being upset about everything; she's obviously hurting and feels powerless to actually do anything about it, so lashing out is the only thing she can do. It happens to some people. It doesn't mean they're horrible or anything. I actually really look forward to seeing how she progresses by the finale since she's probably the character with the most potential for growth.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I do like that Max actually calls Chloe out on how she's been acting toward her though and Chloe actually apologizes for it. It's understandable why Chloe is the way she is, but it doesn't completely excuse her behavior and I'm glad they had Max actually say something about it at least once.

Though actually there seemed to be a lot of things in this episode that were directly responding to what players were probably thinking, like her having to get the chair to reach the thing on the high shelf. When I first saw it up there and saw only one option to get it I was like "Oh come on, this never ends well, why can't I grab the chair?". So that was pretty funny

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

There's also the fact that, by all accounts, Chloe has spent the last few years basically doing and saying whatever she wanted. It doesn't seem like Rachel would stop her being such a self-entitled jerk, and her mum/step-dad are just part of the problem to her. Then Max comes along, having known Chloe when she was super nice, and suddenly starts calling her out. Chloe's built up this whole "I don't give a gently caress" persona and Max knocks it down.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

EvilHawk posted:

There's also the fact that, by all accounts, Chloe has spent the last few years basically doing and saying whatever she wanted. It doesn't seem like Rachel would stop her being such a self-entitled jerk, and her mum/step-dad are just part of the problem to her. Then Max comes along, having known Chloe when she was super nice, and suddenly starts calling her out. Chloe's built up this whole "I don't give a gently caress" persona and Max knocks it down.

This is true and I think Max is changing as a result of Chloe too. She's much more willing to get up in people's business. Compare how she acts toward David in Episode 1 after the fire alarm vs. in Episode 3 when you take Chloe's side in the argument at breakfast. I mean part of this is the knowledge that she has the power to just rewind and fix things if she messes up, but someone else in this thread also pointed out that Max has started to even talk a bit more like Chloe especially when she puts Rachel's clothes on. Chloe has spent the last few years raging ineffectually against the machine, but it seems like Max has spent the last few years running and hiding from her problems. The game even starts with her hiding in the bathroom because she doesn't want to be in the hallway with all her classmates. Both are maladaptive ways of dealing with problems, but they're both learning and growing a lot from each other.

Rosalind fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 21, 2015

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Axel Serenity posted:

Besides, the Ep4 preview has Max back in her old hoodie and clothes for the End of the World Party.

I really hope this won't be the case. I'd love to see the people's reactions to her wearing the outfit more. I was almost imagining (Since you can have both Dana and Taylor offering to "style her up" for the party) her going in a costume that makes her look like Rachel, but I guess that would be out of character for Max and really in bad taste. The potentially freaked reactions would be great, though.

Can you choose not to wear the outfit at all? I guess not?

I also felt that saving Chloe's dad being forced was a bit annoying since I just knew it would lead to some bad stuff happening, but I guess it was needed for the narrative. And yeah, I'm totally seeing this not being a permanent switch (in so far at least that Max can switch between the two "dimensions"

I really, really hope Dontnod will make more games like these or a sequel to this one because the episodes we have remaining are not going to satiate me enough.

edit: Having all the messages around be about Kate/Max/Victoria/whoever is kinda weird. I mean, they can't all be *that* much of celebrities in the school that people would constantly bother writing them. There was a fan theory about this bit about them being messages sent by some version of Max/Rachel, which make them much more ominous. But they're too juvenile for that - unless the writer has gone off the deep end.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 21, 2015

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I'm fine with you not getting to choose things like that though. It wouldn't make any sense for Max to not try to save them, I mean she isn't a heartless monster. Well.. unless you killed Lisa and the Dog. You monster

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I hope most of Episode 4 is exploring the new timeline so you get to know it better and have Max return towards the end of the episode and Episode 5 is all about wrapping things up and ultimately deciding what reality you want to keep. That would be a great meaningful choice that would tie the game together.

I definitely have faith in them to pull it off because they've done a real good job of not really railroading the player and having you be able to completely miss things as well as not falling into the half-assed problem that post-Walking Dead Season 1 Telltale has where if you don't pick the choices that they want you to pick the game just sloppily shoehorns in a way to make sure its what they wanted, characters and common sense be damned. (Walking Dead Season 2 was horrendous with this when it came to characters dying) It also really helps that its really nicely written and I'm glad they've stuck with the slow meditative pace of the first episode, its what makes the game what it is I feel.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 21, 2015

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm just worried that they've set up all these cool things to figure out, but there won't be enough time in Episode 4 and 5 to finish it all. Maybe Epsiode 5 will be extra-long, though?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Larry Parrish posted:

I'm just worried that they've set up all these cool things to figure out, but there won't be enough time in Episode 4 and 5 to finish it all. Maybe Epsiode 5 will be extra-long, though?
There's nothing to say it can't. Dreamfall Chapters is only 2 episodes in and its already around ten hours long.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Accordion Man posted:

There's nothing to say it can't. Dreamfall Chapters is only 2 episodes in and its already around ten hours long.

But that game is a boring slog...

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

I gotta say, I'm impressed with the way this game manages to hook me at the end of every episode. They write a solid cliffhanger at least.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Fans posted:

I'm fine with you not getting to choose things like that though. It wouldn't make any sense for Max to not try to save them, I mean she isn't a heartless monster. Well.. unless you killed Lisa and the Dog. You monster

Look, I only killed Lisa because I cared too much.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Rincewind posted:

Tell it to the jury

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Rincewind posted:

Man, that's sounds like a line straight from a Silent Hill.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Lol this game is loving savage,
Chloe: Oh my life has been dipped in poo poo ever since my dad died :(
The Universe: Ok then we can fix that, enjoy being a parapalegic

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Lol this game is loving savage,
Chloe: Oh my life has been dipped in poo poo ever since my dad died :(
The Universe: Ok then we can fix that, enjoy being a parapalegic

Uh, excuse me.

quadriplegic

:colbert:

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Who's the mysterious texter and what does he know?

I bet in Ep 4: Rachel is still alive and you meet her and get to talk to her at the vortex party. I mean it's not like Chloe could've influenced her in her condition.

edit:
I chuckled at this but shouldn't have.

w00tazn fucked around with this message at 07:11 on May 23, 2015

abardam
Mar 1, 2015

Do real american towns have this much graffiti

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
It's the only way a lost in time Rachel Amber can communicate with the outside world.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Can someone explain why Max is considered a feminazi on campus? I don't think I ever did anything to warrant this. I understand that that's the idea, but there has to be something at least tangentially related to this and I can't think of anything.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

abardam posted:

Do real american towns have this much graffiti
Nah Arcadia Bay just has an infestation of graffiti gremlins.

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011

Paladinus posted:

Can someone explain why Max is considered a feminazi on campus? I don't think I ever did anything to warrant this. I understand that that's the idea, but there has to be something at least tangentially related to this and I can't think of anything.

That, at least, is a simple mystery - 'being on the bad side of a loving psycho'. Probably doesn't need spoiler tagging since it's from all the way back in the first episode.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Paladinus posted:

Prescot is a irredeemable rear end in a top hat who uses this insult unironically. She is female and he hates her, that's all the reason he needs.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I was under the impression it wasn't just him for some reason because of a graffiti.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
He is really popular so someone might just follow his stupid lead.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Catpiss Neverclean posted:

Given the big display of photos changing after Max changes the past, I'm expecting more radical shifts in the timeline in the last two episodes. She has a whole wall of photos in her room, remember.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Given the big display of photos changing after Max changes the past, I'm expecting more radical shifts in the timeline in the last two episodes. She has a whole wall of photos in her room, remember.

Given that she specifically jumped into her younger self when she traveled back in time, and that it was a photo of her, I wonder if she has to be in the photo for that type of time travel to work. Good thing she's the self-styled "Selfie Queen" I suppose. Given that one of the first things you do in the game is take a selfie in your photo class, I wonder if they'll send you back to the beginning at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Max posted:

Given that she specifically jumped into her younger self when she traveled back in time, and that it was a photo of her, I wonder if she has to be in the photo for that type of time travel to work. Good thing she's the self-styled "Selfie Queen" I suppose. Given that one of the first things you do in the game is take a selfie in your photo class, I wonder if they'll send you back to the beginning at some point.

There's also the fact that some things you just can't fix in a week, like the Tornado. Given the theme of the game is Chaos Theory, I'm expecting that some of the oddities like the lack of fish in the bay will be on the agenda at some point. I'm also still expecting Max to wind up going back in time to the party where Kate got drugged at as well.

• Locked thread