Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

RangerScum posted:

So I am not entirely certain with how choosing skills works when leveling up.

Do you only get the benefit from skills that you choose if they are equipped over on the area where you can chain them with Mutagens? Or is the area over there ONLY for getting mutagen bonuses, and every skill point you spend is always going to apply to your character.

I'm thinking the latter must be how it works, because otherwise by the end of the game you are limited to only 12 different skill bonus choices which would be extremely limiting.

You need to have the ability "equipped" in order to use it, yes. If it's not in that section over there, it doesn't count. And yes, you'll be limited, but you can always both respec all your spent ability points, as well as pick and choose what abilities you have ready at the moment. About to fight a monster weak to spells? Time to pop some potions and ready your skills for spells. Stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Mill Village posted:

Are there are any merchants that will give a decent amount of money for treasure, or am I going to have to just accept the fact that 25% of the original value is the best I'm going to get?

Once you get out of poo poo Creek prices improve. There's a gold gate thrown into the game and when you get to the point where that's relevant it very pointedly starts throwing disgusting amounts of cash at you. Also certain types of items sell for different amounts to different merchants.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Thunderbro posted:

Once you get out of poo poo Creek prices improve. There's a gold gate thrown into the game and when you get to the point where that's relevant it very pointedly starts throwing disgusting amounts of cash at you. Also certain types of items sell for different amounts to different merchants.

Specifically, sell honeycombs to the herbalist in White Orchard. She pays top dollar for them.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mister Macys posted:

How is money acquisition in the larger world?

Because White Orchard is stingy as gently caress. It was all I could do to afford the Viper Sword set before 100%ing it.
Emerald dust is crazy expensive.

It's still stingy. I was outright shocked to see I had 2000 and a few crowns, where after 20 hours of any other RPG I'd be Baron Moneypants McRich. Of course seconds after seeing that I spent nearly every red cent on various bullshit.

Orv fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 21, 2015

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
Sadly im finding out alchemy oriented build dosent seem to be as viable like it was in 2 .

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

So I am level 8 and I am still using the silver sword you can craft in White Orchard, have I missed a crafting pattern somewhere? The next silver sword I can craft I need to be level 12. Going from 2 or 3 to 12 in patterns seems like I missed something.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Should I turn on Combo finishers? What does auto-finishers mean in the options?

Is there like a mortal kombat move I do manually if I turn it off?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

My performance was massively improved with this patch. :dance: I haven't gotten another freeze, not in game or in the inventory, since.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:
This game is so god damned amazing. I don't want to even press gallop or cantor, just trot along soaking everything in. What really impressed me was the way they've made an atmosphere so evocative you don't even need the story to support it. What I mean by that is, for instance, take the abandoned village south of White Orchard. (I'm really taking my time with this...playing on Death March and I'm just getting to Velen. I found the griffon easier than the initial ghoul fight. :laffo: )

When I initially found it, I was just exploring, no quest. It was a very windy late afternoon, the sun just waning making everything different shades of orange. And I couldn't help but think the place was really creepy. Just a feeling. Searching around of course I found the diary. And it hit me at that moment that something bad happened here and I knew that this game was in an echelon all on its own if it can provide that kind of unscripted experience. So few games get the atmosphere perfect and with the right blend of lighting, sound, storytelling, and aesthetics, Wild Hunt does just that.

I wonder what kind of man-hours it took to make this game. :psypop:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

PerilPastry posted:

Are any of you guys at or even slightly below the minimum system requirements? How are you doing performance wise?

amd phenom x4 840 3.20ghz, 4gb ram, 6970 graphics card with 2gb vram and windows 7. well below the minimum specs.

i can run the game at a solid 30fps, uncapped it goes to 40. i have a lot of things on ultra, detail, textures, terrain, grass. all at ultra. i have ALL post processing on with full hbao+, that slider is maxed.

hairworks is off, foliage distance is at high, i did have it at medium but i noticed no difference in framerate, low gets a better fps increase but i don't like the pop in. water is set to low and shadows is set to low, i noticed no difference in quality between low and high and saved 10fps. im sure theres something high does for shadows but the way i have it now it looks great and runs nice and stable at 30fps.

at 1080 i get between 23/30 if i turn AA off. but i can run it at 1360x768, which is what my weird samsung tv native is, it runs at a solid, stable 30fps with aa on and af at 16 in the cp and this is before 1.03 which i hear gets a performance boost so we'll see. this is around the white orchard area though, maybe i'll have problems later maybe not. but right now i am super happy, sure its not super 1080p but 1360x768 isn't too bad and at least i can play it well while still having dense grass and trees and poo poo, all the good stuff.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

1stGear posted:

Specifically, sell honeycombs to the herbalist in White Orchard. She pays top dollar for them.

Where is the white orchid herbalist? Is she in or around that dwarf blacksmith whose place got burned down?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Who Dat posted:

This game is so god damned amazing. I don't want to even press gallop or cantor, just trot along soaking everything in. What really impressed me was the way they've made an atmosphere so evocative you don't even need the story to support it. What I mean by that is, for instance, take the abandoned village south of White Orchard. (I'm really taking my time with this...playing on Death March and I'm just getting to Velen. I found the griffon easier than the initial ghoul fight. :laffo: )

When I initially found it, I was just exploring, no quest. It was a very windy late afternoon, the sun just waning making everything different shades of orange. And I couldn't help but think the place was really creepy. Just a feeling. Searching around of course I found the diary. And it hit me at that moment that something bad happened here and I knew that this game was in an echelon all on its own if it can provide that kind of unscripted experience. So few games get the atmosphere perfect and with the right blend of lighting, sound, storytelling, and aesthetics, Wild Hunt does just that.

I wonder what kind of man-hours it took to make this game. :psypop:

Well, they -did- delay the release twice.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

BadLlama posted:

So I am level 8 and I am still using the silver sword you can craft in White Orchard, have I missed a crafting pattern somewhere? The next silver sword I can craft I need to be level 12. Going from 2 or 3 to 12 in patterns seems like I missed something.

There are big gaps that you can occasionally fill with a random relic drop but in this case it sounds like you haven't found the Griffin set. I don't remember it's exact level, but I think it was level 8, and I went from the intro gear (and random drops) to the Serpent set, to Griffin (around 8), and now I'm on Feline/Enhanced Griffin (14).

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Drifter posted:

Where is the white orchid herbalist? Is she in or around that dwarf blacksmith whose place got burned down?

follow the main quest there and you'll find her.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Mister Macys posted:

How is money acquisition in the larger world?

Because White Orchard is stingy as gently caress. It was all I could do to afford the Viper Sword set before 100%ing it.
Emerald dust is crazy expensive.

How to get money in this game: Explore, go to ? markers, kill everything you come across and sell their brains, testicles, and lovely weapons and armor. In the process of doing this, ? markers almost always have some form of master, magical, or relic level crafting mats/weapons/armor, recipes. This game rewards exploration hard - which is a fantastic bonus to walking around in such a pretty game. Basically if you ever come across a situation where you are missing X thing to build Y weapon/armor/thing go exploring - you'll either find the X thing outright, find items you can disassemble into X item, or you'll come back with the cash to buy whatever you want. The hard part actually is finding merchants who have enough cash lying around to buy your poo poo.

I typically never have less than 1k gold on me, which is nice when you come across a merchant that has a ton of poo poo you want - seriously, I pretty much bought out Keria's stock of recipes since she was carrying nearly all of the base oil recipes I was missing plus a few potions as well - I didn't bother buying them at the time, but she also carries recipes for lesser rune variants (they're pretty expensive).

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
There's a point where you kind of run out of things to spend money on as well. I'm lugging around 15k right now, all from just exploring and selling random stuff.

Oh, and try selling stuff to the appropriate merchants. Swords to blacksmiths focusing on weapons, armour to those focusing on armour, and so on. They pay more, significantly more.

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW

Deaderinred posted:

follow the main quest there and you'll find her.

I found the buckthorn before the quest prompted me to, and the griffin nest which meant I skipped the herbalist and the hunter.

Such are the perils of exploring the open world.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Found a new bug. Occasionally, when I get my hair cut or shaved, the tattoo appears on my untattooed Geralt. It stays afterwards too. If you are jonesing for the tattoo, I suggest you get your hair cut.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
Any merchant as a herbalist will pay a premium for honeycomb. In Valen there are maybe 5-6 wandering herbalists in addition to the merchants and herbalists locked behind abandoned settlements. You'll be rich before you end up in novigrad or skellige. Bet the maximum amount on horse racing and brawling for a tidy sum too.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Ice Fist posted:

The hard part actually is finding merchants who have enough cash lying around to buy your poo poo.

Yeah no kidding. I think I've cashed out most of the smiths in Velen at this point unloading random lovely but expensive swords on them. Hope their money regenerates.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

This upgrade to Axii which makes the enemies into temporary allies seems really powerful. These enemies are 1-2 shotting each other. I don't know if the difficulty makes a difference (I'm on the hardest difficulty) but the damage seems really excessive.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So, I'm beginning to run into a lot of randomly locked doors in villages and such. Are these all able to be unlocked with keys or is this the games way of saying the building is just there for eye candy and isn't meant to be opened?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Verranicus posted:

So, I'm beginning to run into a lot of randomly locked doors in villages and such. Are these all able to be unlocked with keys or is this the games way of saying the building is just there for eye candy and isn't meant to be opened?

99% of those are just the games version of a door not being interactable at all.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Andrast posted:

This upgrade to Axii which makes the enemies into temporary allies seems really powerful. These enemies are 1-2 shotting each other. I don't know if the difficulty makes a difference (I'm on the hardest difficulty) but the damage seems really excessive.

Seems in line with the standard form of Axii, which lets Geralt one-shot them while they're stunned instead (if they're humanoid at least.)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Can I go back to white orchard immediately after getting to Velen? I missed the serpentine things and also a lot of points of interest

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
So you get a little bit of extra xp from turning down monetary rewards?

It's very much in character, too. In the TV series, Geralt donates the 5000 orens from the first Adda encounter to a healer temple because he has no need for money.
Of course then the temple gets pillaged, burned down and the nuns raped/tortured by Nifgaardian mercs searching for Ciri I bet that gave a ton of life xp :smith:

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 21, 2015

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
Make sure you guys import the right save, turns out I either selected or had selected the wrong save even though I wanted the latest save.

Found out that I was supposed to meet up with Letho during the haunted house mission where instead of spooky ghosts I was supposed to get a neat side mission with Letho .

Game looks pretty good with two 970s on 4k, runs at about 45fps on all high settings.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

nessin posted:

There are big gaps that you can occasionally fill with a random relic drop but in this case it sounds like you haven't found the Griffin set. I don't remember it's exact level, but I think it was level 8, and I went from the intro gear (and random drops) to the Serpent set, to Griffin (around 8), and now I'm on Feline/Enhanced Griffin (14).

Any hints on where to get the Griffin set but limit spoilers to a minimum?

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Andrast posted:

Maybe it's due to extra damage from the difficulty? Archers will frequently one shot bandit leaders and officers in the back, I suppose there's some kind of backstab modifier from TW2. It could also be intentional so that when friendly fire happens, it can swing a fight your way. Personally I think if there are enemies who knock out Geralt in three hits, it's only fair they murder each other just as fast. :colbert:

Calaveron posted:

Can I go back to white orchard immediately after getting to Velen? I missed the serpentine things and also a lot of points of interest

Yup! Use a fast travel post.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

BadLlama posted:

Various random merchants around Velen sell treasure maps, buy them and read them.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

-

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 21, 2015

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Am I missing something with regards to healing? I don't heal from meditation on my difficulty, so I think my only options are:
1) Food
2) Swallow potions
3) The "Regen health during the day" ability

(3) Isn't possible when I'm indoors (I think), and it seems like food is really expensive (for the amount of healing it does), and I haven't seen any craftable healing items. Is just converting alcohol to Swallow the best value for healing?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Have I missed out on a way to earn xp or something.. I did all the side quests and reached every question mark on the map in White Orchard.. now when I get the next quest after seeing the emperor (travel to Velen), its recommended level is 5 and I've barely reached 4.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Slanderer posted:

Am I missing something with regards to healing? I don't heal from meditation on my difficulty, so I think my only options are:
1) Food
2) Swallow potions

(3) Isn't possible when I'm indoors (I think), and it seems like food is really expensive (for the amount of healing it does), and I haven't seen any craftable healing items. Is just converting alcohol to Swallow the best value for healing?
Keeping a quen up and being very fareful with the fights seems like the best way. And bees nests if you see them.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis

BadLlama posted:

Check various blacksmiths, I found the maps for Griffin set there - after collecting Viper swords, so you might miss them. If you don't want those, poke north of the swamp where second half of Ciri's Velen plot happens for cave with wraiths and it gives hints for swords after.

Orv
May 4, 2011

PirateBob posted:

Have I missed out on a way to earn xp or something.. I did all the side quests and reached every question mark on the map in White Orchard.. now when I get the next quest after seeing the emperor (travel to Velen), its recommended level is 5 and I've barely reached 4.

Quests within 8 levels or so are entirely manageable with oils and skill.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

PirateBob posted:

You'll be fine, just go to Velen. I don't know why it's labeled that way, barely 4 seems to be the best almost anybody does coming out of white orchard.

edit ^^^ This is true too, don't worry too much about the recommended level unless it's a big gap or you get there and your sword does no damage.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Do oils just last until you next meditate? I don't know how long before a fight I should apply this stuff.

Reccommended levels for quests are just that, recommendations. It seems like you can tackle whatever quest whenever you want. If you're struggling, you can either reload a save from earlier or just book it out of there.

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 21, 2015

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Slanderer posted:

1) Food
2) Swallow potions

Swallow accelerates the healing from eating food so you can conserve food by only eating one or two things. Alcohol to restock swallow is abundant so don't worry about it. I thought no heal on meditation was going to be a big deal but it really isn't. Sun and Stars does a nice job of topping off health. For some reason sometimes it stops working when it's daylight, meditating usually fixes it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lord Lambeth posted:

Do oils just last until you next meditate? I don't know how long before a fight I should apply this stuff.

Far as I can tell, yeah.