Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

No Mods No Masters posted:

You'll be fine, just go to Velen. I don't know why it's labeled that way, barely 4 seems to be the best almost anybody does coming out of white orchard.

edit ^^^ This is true too, don't worry too much about the recommended level unless it's a big gap or you get there and your sword does no damage.

Alright, cool. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferret
Oct 9, 2003

BumikiIsFreaky posted:

Apologies if this has been asked before, this thread is moving fast. Anyone else have no audio in the cinematic scenes but all the other audio works fine?

I know this is from ages ago, but the game appears to have a botched 5.1 sound implementation. Change your console/PC sound settings to Stereo and it should clear up.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

GuyUpNorth posted:

Check various blacksmiths, I found the maps for Griffin set there - after collecting Viper swords, so you might miss them. If you don't want those, poke north of the swamp where second half of Ciri's Velen plot happens for cave with wraiths and it gives hints for swords after.

Thanks!

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
They should add a Merchant that sells things that you can miss like Gwent cards and some alchemy recipes/bombs. No harm done in some redundancy. (Selling more gwent cards to make specialized decks would be good too. minor spoiler I want that decoy that I left at the first inn :colbert:

Oh, and please, add a notes/books tab in the inventory for the love of god

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 21, 2015

Gunder
May 22, 2003

m.hache posted:

Set your Framerate cap to Unlimited
Turn on V-SYNC
Disable NVIDIA Streaming Service (Optional)

That fixed it for me. Also todays patch on GOG may also resolve it (untested by me yet).

I haven't had any crashes since the patch. Might just be getting lucky, but I was able to play for a good long stretch there (at least a couple of hours) without any crashing.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone know of a good vendor for alchemy reagents, not herbs but the rarer stuff? Need some specific things to upgrade potions with.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

So, uh, turns out that the crones are kinda evil child-eating monsters. What would have happened had I helped the spirit in the tree?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Son of Rodney posted:

So, uh, turns out that the crones are kinda evil child-eating monsters. What would have happened had I helped the spirit in the tree?

Something worse. The spirit razes Downwhatever and fucks up everything else.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Deaderinred posted:

amd phenom x4 840 3.20ghz, 4gb ram, 6970 graphics card with 2gb vram and windows 7. well below the minimum specs.

i can run the game at a solid 30fps, uncapped it goes to 40. i have a lot of things on ultra, detail, textures, terrain, grass. all at ultra. i have ALL post processing on with full hbao+, that slider is maxed.

Thanks a lot, man. Guess I just need to buy this thing already. I can always upgrade if it turns out to run like poo poo.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
Why does Steam say Wild Hunt is uninstalled? It says I have to install the entire thing again, but it's still on my computer......what......

Edit: And yet the game launches from the .exe :confused:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Just about done with my Insane run on W2; goddamn that eternal fight was annoying.

How are things after the latest patch? People who were crashing--seeing more stability?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Orv posted:

Something worse. The spirit razes Downwhatever and fucks up everything else.

Not exactly. It razes the town, but it's the Crones that gently caress up everything else. Mostly as petty vengeance.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Dr. Carwash posted:

Why does Steam say Wild Hunt is uninstalled? It says I have to install the entire thing again, but it's still on my computer......what......

Try verifying the files maybe?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So right now I'm riding around Velen to unlock all of the signposts and notice board quests, and I've run into a couple places where I need a pass to continue on. I picked up a quest to get a fake pass or whatever, and I plan on doing it, but I discovered I can just swim around whatever checkpoints that are set up. Seems kind of silly, but I also like the freedom.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

PerilPastry posted:

Try verifying the files maybe?

I can't because the game isn't installed (even though it is and still runs through the .exe).

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Comte, do we get to kill the Crones? I know Geralt say's that is something he gets to do, but will he? Like gathering them, the emp and a few of the more racist/rapist people in the world into a big barn and just giving Geralt a sharp enough sword would be wonderful.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 21, 2015

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:

Josef bugman posted:

Comte, do we get to kill the Crones? I know Geralt say's that is something he gets to do, but will he? Like gathering them, the emp and a few of the more racist/rapist people in the world into a big barn and just giving Gerald a sharp enough sword would be wonderful.

Whose this Gery guy you're talking about. :downsrim:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Who Dat posted:

Whose this Gery guy you're talking about. :downsrim:

Dammit!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
One minor thing I really dislike is that when I open my quests journal page, it starts viewing the very first quest to view, and not my active quest. :mad:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Delacroix posted:

Any merchant as a herbalist will pay a premium for honeycomb. In Valen there are maybe 5-6 wandering herbalists in addition to the merchants and herbalists locked behind abandoned settlements. You'll be rich before you end up in novigrad or skellige. Bet the maximum amount on horse racing and brawling for a tidy sum too.
I should really advance the main quest, huh. I haven't seen either of these.

Anyone found nekkers anywhere? I haven't caught a glimpse of them yet and I want their hearts.

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW
I would totally draft Gwent if they offered it in stores.

Hell, I might print out a set of Gwent cards to cube.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

I should really advance the main quest, huh. I haven't seen either of these.

Anyone found nekkers anywhere? I haven't caught a glimpse of them yet and I want their hearts.

Immediately north of your starting location in Velen is a Nekker nest. It's the sign post just south of the left most bridge leading across the river to the northern half of the zone.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Lord Lambeth posted:

Do oils just last until you next meditate? I don't know how long before a fight I should apply this stuff.

Reccommended levels for quests are just that, recommendations. It seems like you can tackle whatever quest whenever you want. If you're struggling, you can either reload a save from earlier or just book it out of there.

Orv posted:

Far as I can tell, yeah.

They're actually a fixed number of hits, typically 20. If you highlight the weapon once it's oiled you'll see the remaining/total charges listed on it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Decided to wander up a bit to annoy the Chamberlain before the audience with Emhyr, missed a step and committed suicide by falling off the stairs. Let that jerk explain that mess to the Emperor :colbert:

Fake Edit: I'm pretty sure the spoiler is unnecessary, but I'm paranoid.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

About an hour in to the game. Having not playing Witcher 1 or 2, should I know what the hell the Wild Hunt is, or who Yennefer and Trish actually are?

Also how much time passed between the prologue and the present, I always mess up dates :(

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
This is disappointing, patch 1.03 causes crashes every 20 minutes or so, where 1.02 was perfectly stable after I applied the inventory tweaks :(

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:
I

Fat Samurai posted:

Decided to wander up a bit to annoy the Chamberlain before the audience with Emhyr, missed a step and committed suicide by falling off the stairs. Let that jerk explain that mess to the Emperor :colbert:

Fake Edit: I'm pretty sure the spoiler is unnecessary, but I'm paranoid.

I grabbed every book in the castle and made that fucker wait. I'm going to sell them to a merchant. I also didn't bow and made him poo poo his pants because gently caress the French. :colbert: (Nilfgardians :ssh: )

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Ciaphas posted:

About an hour in to the game. Having not playing Witcher 1 or 2, should I know what the hell the Wild Hunt is, or who Yennefer and Trish actually are?

Also how much time passed between the prologue and the present, I always mess up dates :(

You can put it together pretty quickly, considering the Wild Hunt was only in the background for 1 and 2, and Witcher 3 is the first time we've ever seen Yennefer in the games. There's also a glossary in the game you can use to look things up, as well.

Also, the prologue never happened, it's a dream Geralt has. He talks to Vesemir about how Yen was there, even though she's never been to the stronghold in her life

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
More general impressions! Been playing quite a bit since release.

1) Impressed with the size and density of the world. Always something to do around the corner, and it'll probably be rewarding in some way. Novigrad is one of the first cities in a videogame (maybe the first) that feels authentic. That I felt a little disappointed with the size while looking at the area it occupied on the world map was stupid - it's plenty big once I got into it. And that's just one city. Crow's Perch feels like a correct manifestation of a concept. Oxenfurt has a unique feel. And then there are all the little villages and outposts and ruins and wrecks.

2) Movement felt a little cheap to me at first, expected more weight with Geralt's movements. Got used to it over time, and it's usually fine. Most annoying cases are when I'm trying to open a specific container among several others, or in certain swimming sections, but those are rare.

Biggest tip I can give for exploration is to remember to hold the jump button when parkouring around. It's only called out once in the tutorial and barely used in the first area, so there's not much reinforcement early on.

3) Horse riding is usually on point, at least for general exploration. Which is a lot. It's great most of the time. Only had difficulties with mounted combat, which, whatever, I can deal with that, it's more like being a dragoon than cavalry; and in horse races, which I might just be doing wrong. Haven't lost a race yet, but I get more confusing or frustrating occurrences of Roach inexplicably stopping than I should.

4) Love combat. The addition of a dodge alongside the roll is subtle but vital. One's more towards pure evasion and defense, the other's more for countering. Parrying is much improved from The Witcher 2, especially since attacking a parried enemy is a separate action now - freedom to adjust and evade other attacks, finish off another attacker, drop an Yrden/refresh Quen/melt everything with Igni.

5) Writing's fantastic - a needless but still welcome reminder why I like the characters in these games. Hilarious at times, just enough to break up the heavy moments. Tons of dialogue, most of it enjoyable.

6) Everything feels connected. When something comes up preventing me from a previously established goal, it feels more like classic drama and not a tedious obstacle. I want poo poo to come up along the way, because I believe it'll be fun and interesting. And it makes sense given the world.

7) Regular reinforcement that Geralt isn't just a killer - he's smart. Thoughtful, observant, deductive. Sometimes I'm not always a fan of protagonist exposition or vocal observation, but it works here. Also, while I don't think he was ever bad, Doug Cockle has really grown into the role over the years.

8) Facial tech, holy poo poo. I thought Dragon Age set a high bar.

9) Explored Skellige only a bit (seen lots of the map but riding through most of it for scavenger hunts), but I like it already. It seems to out-Skyrim Skyrim. If there are northern lights, it's perfect.

10) UI and inventory could be better. Is there a way to sort items by weight? I can deal with everything else.

11) Continuation of delayed/unforeseen consequences. I like that I can't save scum too much, that choices matter, and that I can't always control everything. The Tower of Mice quest line impressed me a great deal especially at the end, with the (general themes) reactivity to my actions and the polarity of the consequences.

12) Game looks impressive overall. Downgrades, whatever. I get that it's marketing, a vertical slice, a prediction for how things will work. I don't think it was intentional misdirection, or gross negligence. Everything's beautiful. Something else that helps me separate this with Watch_Dogs is that WD is a boring, non-sensical slog.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
After visiting all the towns in southern Velen, finally making it into and past Oxenfurt really blew me away. I was expecting it to be dirty and dreary all the way through but the other side of the river really is totally different in atmosphere.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Ciaphas posted:

Triss is your girlfriend. Yennefer is your girlfriend from before you lost your memory. The Wild Hunt is your girlfriend that you broke up with because she keeps kidnapping people, including your other girlfriends.
I guess read the character entries in the glossary?

Burns
May 10, 2008

Whats cursed oil supposed to be good for? I see no entries for it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Way back in the thread somebody was asking about how lip sync works with other languages in this game. Well, I found a video comparing the Deutsch audio track to the English audio track and the lip syncing is actually really good. Also, German Geralt sounds like a smooth talker.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s_gkS-D5Pc

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Discovery: If you fall into deep water while riding Roach around, Roach will disappear right from under you. Which means he's basically Yoshi from Super Mario Sunshine, I guess.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Burns posted:

Whats cursed oil supposed to be good for? I see no entries for it.

Werewolves, botchlings, that sort of thing.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Bestiary is grouped into categories, including "Cursed". Take a look at it for a comprehensive list of the monsters you've met it's good against. Off the top of my head, Werewolves and Botchlings are both Cursed creatures.

crackton
May 9, 2009
I just downloaded my temerian armor set dlc from the PlayStation store. And I cant find it anywhere inventory. Are you supposed to go somewhere to pick it up in game ?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

This game is pretty bad news for my productivity - it's the first game in a while that I sit down intending to play like 30-45 minutes and I lose 2 hours. There are just so many satisfying ways to progress and experience the world. Like I heard about the Griffin School armor and decided to just go on a treasure hunt to find it. Ended up spending several hours of in-game time doing it. It's just such a massive experience. I'm 12 hours in and I've barely even scratched the surface.

Which touches on another thing that I really appreciate about this game. Despite doing a ton of stuff, I'm only level 6 - and it's apparent that the game probably takes you into the 30's by the time you're done. At the same time, your actual level only seems like a part of the power curve - they did a great job of making it so that hunting down alchemy stuff, gear, and power points are all great parallel ways to make Geralt more powerful. Getting a sweet set of armor and weapon upgrades feels every bit as impressive as actually gaining experience in this game.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
One thing I'm noticing is that northern Velen has far, far fewer question marks on it as I ride around reading all the notice boards. Is this because I haven't progressed far enough in the story, or are there really that much fewer than the south?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

crackton posted:

I just downloaded my temerian armor set dlc from the PlayStation store. And I cant find it anywhere inventory. Are you supposed to go somewhere to pick it up in game ?

It's sold by the merchant Geralt saves at the beginning of the game in White Orchard.