Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
(For the non-Brits, a 'lollipop man' is a crossing guard with the legal right to stop traffic for children.)

quote:

A lollipop man who blocked an on-call fire engine ‘several times’ by moving children across a road has been sacked.

Luton Borough Council launched an investigation after the crossing guard posted outside William Austin Junior School ignored a fire engine’s sirens and blocked its progress by repeatedly ushering children and parents across the road.

At the time the fire crew was on its way to a tree fire on St Ethelbert Avenue– just a few doors down from the crossing.

Eyewitness Jacqui Brittain exclusively told the Luton News at her disbelief, as she saw “five or six” firefighters get out of the vehicle to forcibly move the lollipop man out of the way.

A council spokesperson said: “Luton Borough Council has now concluded its enquiries into reports that a School Crossing Patrol Officer held up a fire engine on an emergency call on 13 April. After following our due process, the employee concerned has been summarily dismissed on the grounds of gross misconduct.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
In the US you'd probably have an angry mob of parents show up at the next city council meeting demanding the crossing guard's reinstatement and the firemen's heads on pikes.

Emergency vehicle headed to an actual emergency? :byodood: :byodame: MY CHILD NOT HAVING TO WAIT 20 SECONDS ON THE SIDEWALK IS MORE IMPORTANT!

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

InitialDave posted:

They should have moved to one side earlier. However:

Over here, with the red-light cameras, they'll still book you even if you move through one to let a fire engine or ambulance past. The only time you're allowed to do it is if specifically instructed to do so by a copper. It's a loving infantile, lovely thing to sit there and go :colbert: "Going through a red is an absolute offence, sixty quid and three points sunshine" in response, but unless they stop that nonsense, I can't blame people for not moving.

That driver was oblivious/not even trying.
But it's the same in Australia, you can't break the law to get out of the way of emercency vehicles. You can pull over, slow down or stop, but you can't go through red lights or cut people off to get out of your lane etc

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Here in Memphis even the city bus drivers run red lights:

http://wreg.com/2015/05/20/mata-bus-drivers-busted-running-red-lights/

quote:

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — When you get behind the wheel, you’re expected to follow the rules of the road.
However, WREG found dozens of Memphis bus drivers breaking the law.
“City buses doing that? Woo Wee,” Shelia Conley from Frayser said.
Red light cameras captured bus drivers behaving badly.
Buses were seen blowing through intersections and nearly causing accidents.
“Oh my god. I saw that.” said Yvonne Seymour as she watched the video. “People could have got hurt on that bus.”
Cameras caught other buses making illegal left turns.
“Oh, so my life in danger?” Conley asked.
“You’ve got 30-40 people on board with you, their lives are important,”said Alison Burton the Director of Marketing and Customer Service with the Memphis Area Transit Authority.
Burton said MATA drivers average about five red light camera tickets per year.
“We have an account of about 40 or so,” Burton told WREG.

Forty.

That was the number of tickets MATA had in its file since 2002.
In the last three years, that number almost doubled to 76 violations.
The tickets totaled almost $6,500 once you tacked on late fees for overdue tickets.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Geoj posted:

In the US you'd probably have an angry mob of parents show up at the next city council meeting demanding the crossing guard's reinstatement and the firemen's heads on pikes.

Emergency vehicle headed to an actual emergency? :byodood: :byodame: MY CHILD NOT HAVING TO WAIT 20 SECONDS ON THE SIDEWALK IS MORE IMPORTANT!

are you kidding they'd never admit that their child had to walk across the street and wasn't dropped off up front in a new 2016 Escalade

vvvv: no poo poo i have the same thing. private elementary school, long loving school zone of 20 in a 45, have literally never seen a child cross the street

Proud Christian Mom fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 21, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Part of my commute for the last 15 years has been through a couple crosswalks that connect to a nearby school. Every school day a volunteer has been at this crosswalk to make sure kids stay safe. It's also a huge speed trap for police, when the yellow flashers are on there's always a patrol car nearby waiting to catch people.

The problem? In all of those 15 years I have not seen one single child actually using the crosswalk. Not one.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

Fo3 posted:

But it's the same in Australia, you can't break the law to get out of the way of emercency vehicles. You can pull over, slow down or stop, but you can't go through red lights or cut people off to get out of your lane etc
I find that way of reasoning to be completely hosed up.

Over here the red light camera will simply take pictures of the emergency vehicle running a red light and if it got you 20 seconds before that you generally won't even get a fine in the mail.

Worst case you call the officer of justice and ask them to pull the next couple of photos from that camera and if it's you running a red and the next three photos are fire trucks running the same red light, your ticket will be annulled. Like it was never issued to begin with.

You have to let the emergency vehicle through, if you have to bend the law to do so, so be it.

Not to mention that running a red is just a traffic offence, obstruction of emergency services is a felony.
I'd rather have to argue my way out of a.€286 fine, than get a loving criminal record and serve 3 days in prison for not letting an ambulance through.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Fo3 posted:

There is the off chance- albeit remote, that the driver was deaf and unaware. Maybe the lights weren't that noticeable in the day to someone who has their mirrors aimed lovely.

I guess I feel a little glass half full today.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Spiffness posted:

There is the off chance- albeit remote, that the driver was deaf and unaware. Maybe the lights weren't that noticeable in the day to someone who has their mirrors aimed lovely.

If you're deaf then you need to pay MORE attention to what's around you, not less.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

88h88 posted:

If you're deaf then you need to pay MORE attention to what's around you, not less.

You'll get no argument from me. Absolutely. BUT, it at least explains being able to ignore the gently caress-off loud siren right behind you.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm just imagining how quiet my mate's old Mini would be if I were deaf... Seems there's an upside!

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

88h88 posted:

I'm just imagining how quiet my mate's old Mini would be if I were deaf... Seems there's an upside!

As someone who only has one working ear left, you'd miss the noise if it was gone. :smith:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Spiffness posted:

You'll get no argument from me. Absolutely. BUT, it at least explains being able to ignore the gently caress-off loud siren right behind you.

Yeah, but I'd think that if I were deaf and driving, I'd be all over my mirrors so as not to miss any giant red trucks with gently caress-off bright lights right behind me. Plus, I'd probably actually pull up to the stop line.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

xzzy posted:

Part of my commute for the last 15 years has been through a couple crosswalks that connect to a nearby school. Every school day a volunteer has been at this crosswalk to make sure kids stay safe. It's also a huge speed trap for police, when the yellow flashers are on there's always a patrol car nearby waiting to catch people.

The problem? In all of those 15 years I have not seen one single child actually using the crosswalk. Not one.

Back when I drove buses in college there was a protected crosswalk next to a school on our route. During peak hours there was someone out with a sign but I really think they were there more for the drivers than the kids. This intersection had a button to switch the intersection to red and during off-hours I've had kids push it and then go dance in the street :psyduck:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

ijustam posted:

Back when I drove buses in college there was a protected crosswalk next to a school on our route. During peak hours there was someone out with a sign but I really think they were there more for the drivers than the kids. This intersection had a button to switch the intersection to red and during off-hours I've had kids push it and then go dance in the street :psyduck:

I used to drive through a dense pedestrian zone as part of my commute to work many years ago, and it had a light like this. Normally the lights just instantly activate flashing pedestrian lights but this one is the only one in the city that immediately activates a red light.

In the winter, I saw a pedestrian hit the button, red light, and then they ran across. The light went green, as it does. A pedestrian right behind him also hit the button and then immediately started crossing only to find himself in the middle of three lanes of traffic that still had a green light.

I guess the red light wasn't really instant if the green light wasn't on for long enough prior to a button hit.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Should've just rammed the person.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Spiffness posted:

Probably earphones or something stupid like that in that case.
At least they can impress in Germany as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG6jtga3oGI

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
The Firetrucks and meatwagons need these guys hanging on their rear decks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBAKcn_smnA

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
On a drive south on the Seward highway, watched two different trucks speed and pass like dickheads on double yellows and curves. Caught up with them a little while down the road when they were pulled over at the same time by one state trooper.

We all applauded as we drove by :patriot:

Also saw some loving tourist TURN AROUND in a one lane construction zone to take pictures of an agitated mother moose with newborn calfs. I hope she smashed their loving rental car.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Deedle posted:

You have to let the emergency vehicle through, if you have to bend the law to do so, so be it.

No, the point is the emergency vehicles can flat out break the laws, like mount kerbs, drive on the wrong side of the road to get where they're going. Having an emergency vehicle on the roads doesn't mean other drivers can start loving around and cause confusion and accidents. (That car could have moved over and forward to make a gap though)

We don't have this felony/misdemeanor difference in laws here, so that doesn't apply. All I know is a red light fine is $300 and the government likes money, you'd have to go to court to get out of it as it would not be up to the discretion of an civilian* looking at the photos or film, you'd need a judge. This is if the whole car crossed the line and moved into the intersection to let an emergency vehicle through. Part way and off to the side or whatever they driver in the video needed to do wouldn't have problems.

E: by civilian I mean the civilians that work in the traffic fines department, as police often aren't the ones doing that job and mailing out fines.

Late edit:
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/outrage-over-pensioners-fine/story-e6freol3-1111118399530

Adelaide Now: Adelaide pensioner Ken MacDonald cops fine over ambulance
Ken McGregor, December 23, 2008

quote:

... "Motorists have an obligation to give way to emergency vehicles but they also have an obligation to drive with due care and abide by the traffic laws," Mr Fairney said. "The driver in these circumstances would have a series of different options they could have considered.

"Disobeying the red traffic light is fraught with danger.

"A better option would be to wait until the traffic light changes to green and then provide a safe passage for the ambulance by moving out of its path in the safest way possible."

SA Ambulance Service chief executive Ray Creen agreed motorists should never risk their safety to accommodate ambulances.

"Whilst it was vital motorists do their very best to make a clear passage for an emergency vehicle driving with lights and sirens, we do not encourage motorists to break the law to get out of our way," he said.

"This includes driving at excessive speeds or running a red light. These are obviously dangerous things to do as they put both the driver and other motorists at risk." ...

People that are in charge have no common sense or are just money hungry unfortunately, so that's the way it has to be.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 11:42 on May 22, 2015

bing_commander
Aug 14, 2009

In other news..
Reasonable exceptions get in the way of the criminalization of driving.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Every intersection I've seen in the last 20 years has been rigged so emergency vehicles can set their direction of travel to green anyways, which makes it easy for cars to get the gently caress out the way. All you have to do is hammer it through the intersection and pull to the shoulder.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

bing_commander posted:

Reasonable exceptions get in the way of the criminalization of driving.
If the left get back into power in the UK, put yourself forward as transport minister.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Local story:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0jAfj4-EkI

The crane driver was distracted by someone talking to him when he was loading the crane etc. Fair enough.

The guy filming is a real moron. Sees the imminent crash, decides to take up his phone and film. He then also decides to get even closer. Well done.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

xzzy posted:

Every intersection I've seen in the last 20 years has been rigged so emergency vehicles can set their direction of travel to green anyways, which makes it easy for cars to get the gently caress out the way. All you have to do is hammer it through the intersection and pull to the shoulder.
They used to do that. When people started to realize they were triggered by the strobing lights and that flicking their high beams in that pattern would often accomplish the same, they switched to setting them all red, since an emergency vehicle can run reds.

I mean, of course it's possible some areas haven't upgraded or whatever, but I haven't seen the green trigger setup in years.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They fixed the headlight thing a ways back, I'm not sure what emergency vehicles use currently but it's probably something cheap like infared.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

xzzy posted:

This works - until you run into idiots who automatically slam on the brakes and won't move until the emergency vehicle is past them, not understanding that the whole point of the law is to get out of the way of the emergency vehicle. I'm sure 99% of first responders would rather have traffic hammer until they clear the intersection and then get out of the way vs. bottlenecking an intersection.

Krakkles posted:

They used to do that. When people started to realize they were triggered by the strobing lights and that flicking their high beams in that pattern would often accomplish the same, they switched to setting them all red, since an emergency vehicle can run reds.

The device (MIRT) that accomplishes this uses a very specific spectrum of IR light with a specific strobe pattern - not something that you could accomplish with your highbeams. Not to say that you can't buy one or rig your own with the correct wavelength IR LEDs and a controller board but if you get caught it's generally a felony-level offense.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

xzzy posted:

They fixed the headlight thing a ways back, I'm not sure what emergency vehicles use currently but it's probably something cheap like infared.

optimcom IR strobe.

A whole bunch of the old firetrucks that go through auctions here still have it installed on the roof, and while it is tempting to never have to deal with a red light again, it's a felony and jail time in some places.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Powershift posted:

and while it is tempting to never have to deal with a red light again, it's a felony and jail time in some places.

Tell that to the po-po in Aurora, IL. They're notorious for just magically hitting greens every time they approach an intersection. :haw:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

xzzy posted:

Tell that to the po-po in Aurora, IL. They're notorious for just magically hitting greens every time they approach an intersection. :haw:

They're the ones authorized to use it

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I found an old Wired article detailing how a hardware hacker essentially made his own version of the strobe. Has a few neat details on how the system actually works.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

xzzy posted:

I guess we should also tell them to stop stealing money and shooting black people while we're at it.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Powershift posted:

I guess we should also tell them to stop stealing money and shooting black people while we're at it.

They mostly just shoot criminals

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

How do you know they're criminals? If they weren't criminals, they wouldn't have been shot.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Naw, can't fix everything. It's Illinois, if there isn't a little bit of corruption you can't trust them.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

PCOS Bill posted:

They mostly just shoot criminals
Verification from The Onion.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Jesus christ those are depressing stories.
Like this one http://www.innocentdown.org/2013/07/26/john-wrana/
95 year old that needs a walker? Better respond with tasers, riot shields and bean bags.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Geoj posted:

The device (MIRT) that accomplishes this uses a very specific spectrum of IR light with a specific strobe pattern - not something that you could accomplish with your highbeams. Not to say that you can't buy one or rig your own with the correct wavelength IR LEDs and a controller board but if you get caught it's generally a felony-level offense.

That still doesn't stop morons from flashing their high beams at red lights. God drat people are gullible, and confirmation bias is a hell of a drug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

ohgodwhat posted:

That still doesn't stop morons from flashing their high beams at red lights. God drat people are gullible, and confirmation bias is a hell of a drug.

Over here we actually have light sensors on a lot of junctions. (usually cross roads.)

The reason for this is that the light phasing is different at night, and the road with the most traffic will stay green (constantly) until the sensors detect a vehicle approaching from the other road.

There's a road right near me that's like this, if i drive up it at night it will almost always be red in the direction i go, but if i flash my main beams at it from ~100' before i reach the junction, if there's no cross traffic, it will change to green. If there is cross traffic, it will give them an amber light and i will quite quickly get a green light, but it's only green for a short time, much shorter than it is with daytime light phasing.

That little camera-looking box on top of the lights is a light sensor: