Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

Infamous Sphere posted:

That's ok! Mind you, while Australians still defend vegemite, we still secretly enjoy non-commonwealth reactions to it. (Well, non-British/NZ - they have marmite, so they just see vegemite as a not as good version of marmite. It was invented as a substitute for marmite, so they're technically right.)

That's not always true. I'm from NZ and I prefer Vegemite to Marmite. They do taste subtly different, which is because Marmite has sugar in it while Vegemite doesn't, from what I remember.

That said, I remember when there was a Marmite shortage a couple of years ago, and the whining was insufferable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

PassTheRemote posted:

:goonsay: They should be called Teenage Mutant Ninja Tortoises guys, god.

I got like 10 seconds in that video. Spoony looks to be just an unpleasant person to be around.
Miles is really chill, I've somehow been friends with him on Facebook since 2011 (guess we both didn't really get social media back then). And he's seen some poo poo being a deputy for Sheriff Joe http://archive.azcentral.com/community/mesa/articles/20110325immigrant-killed-deputy-details.html :stare:

He is kind of an internet atheist though seeing how he's a fan of Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, and Bill Mahr

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

ZakAce posted:

That's not always true. I'm from NZ and I prefer Vegemite to Marmite. They do taste subtly different, which is because Marmite has sugar in it while Vegemite doesn't, from what I remember.

That said, I remember when there was a Marmite shortage a couple of years ago, and the whining was insufferable.

My Grandpa is English, and he insists that New Zealand marmite (which is what we get in Australia) isn't good enough. He's always trying to get people to import British marmite for him - can't do it himself because he doesn't have the internet. Of course, with the glass jars, the shipping is absurd. Jeez.

Never tried marmite, although it looks..runnier than Vegemite.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I know I've said this before but Spoony crosses the line from cringing at bad movies or being annoyed to looking like he's in physical agony when he has to talk about bad media and it's really, really sad at this point.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Man, I remember when Spoony made jokes and actually enjoyed lovely movies. Now he's just bitter and angry. :(

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Well, I had Vegemite toast and I thought it was just fine.

(Also: Vegemite is responsible for a hilarious branding disaster.)

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
It might be an urban legend, but my brother apparently worked with the guy who jokingly suggested "isnack2.0".

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

echopapa posted:

Well, I had Vegemite toast and I thought it was just fine.

(Also: Vegemite is responsible for a hilarious branding disaster.)

"Don't like 'modern, technical aspects'" ha ha ha amazing.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I don't know if they count but I legit had to stop watching Video Games Awesome because Fraser is so dumb. He actually sees the world through a child's eyes and watching him play games with any kind of choice system involved is boring because he always picks the most immoral option and says "It's what needs to be done!"

While this was kinda bad in Walking Dead it's his Game of Thrones playthrough that made me really sick of it

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, anywhere you go you are guaranteed to see at least the government's "Don't drink and drive" campaign in some form, usually as roadside billboards or a Booze Bus (roadside alcohol/drug test).

Maybe a little late to the discussion here but I was amazed by the don't drink-ad-drive PSA's in the US when I visited last year. In the States the PSA's beat you over the head with "You could go to jail or lose your license forever!" whereas over here in the UK they're more "don't drink-and-drive because you'll loving kill someone"

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 12:02 on May 20, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

"We’re tired of warning you. You’re f*cking pissing us off when you drink and drive." - Russian Ministry of Health (supposedly)

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Calico Heart posted:

I don't know if they count but I legit had to stop watching Video Games Awesome because Fraser is so dumb. He actually sees the world through a child's eyes and watching him play games with any kind of choice system involved is boring because he always picks the most immoral option and says "It's what needs to be done!"

I had to stop because of him as well. Watching someone do bad is funny sometimes, but it's pretty amazing to watch someone who isn't DSP be so baffled/bad at video games and then throw tantrums.

The best moment was when he was playing Walking Dead and people jokingly called him a sociopath for choosing all the immoral/hosed up options and he got legitimately really angry and started banning people in the chat.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Calico Heart posted:

Maybe a little late to the discussion here but I was amazed by the don't drink-ad-drive PSA's in the US when I visited last year. In the States the PSA's beat you over the head with "You could go to jail or lose your license forever!" whereas over here in the UK they're more "don't drink-and-drive because you'll loving kill someone"

I believe the thinking is that usually people who are too drunk to drive think they're fine to drive, so they don't think they'll be killing anyone. However they do think that cops get a big old hard on when they get the chance to jail someone. So the campaign is centered around the drunk getting caught, which to them seems like a technical gotcha than the horrific damage that they don't think they'll cause.

We do also do lots of stuff about how deadly drunk driving is, but the biggest campaign is based on drunk drivers being selfish pricks who only care about themselves.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tracula posted:

I know I've said this before but Spoony crosses the line from cringing at bad movies or being annoyed to looking like he's in physical agony when he has to talk about bad media and it's really, really sad at this point.

To be fair, this isn't entirely new. At least as far back as his Pumpkinhead review, he got people messaging him and asking if he was okay from how bad he looked in the video.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

OldTennisCourt posted:

I had to stop because of him as well. Watching someone do bad is funny sometimes, but it's pretty amazing to watch someone who isn't DSP be so baffled/bad at video games and then throw tantrums.

The best moment was when he was playing Walking Dead and people jokingly called him a sociopath for choosing all the immoral/hosed up options and he got legitimately really angry and started banning people in the chat.

This particular instance was he had to choose between two guys in the Game of Thrones game to be his Sentinel (Idk I assume like a General or something). When he chose Guy1, Guy2 was a little pissy but fine. Guy2 then said "hey we shouldn't go to war with a much larger army that would obviously beat us with ease when we have the option to negotiate peacefully" and Fraser's moron brain could somehow only interpret this information as "Haha this guy is jealous I didn't pick him, what an rear end in a top hat.

I'm kind of hoping that he gets put in his place and all his men die but he was honestly so irritating and stupid in that moment I had to stop watching.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

WickedHate posted:

To be fair, this isn't entirely new. At least as far back as his Pumpkinhead review, he got people messaging him and asking if he was okay from how bad he looked in the video.

It's difficult to predict the future but I just feel that Spoony will be seen in a better light years from now.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Gyges posted:

We do also do lots of stuff about how deadly drunk driving is, but the biggest campaign is based on drunk drivers being selfish pricks who only care about themselves.

Calling someone a loving moron for driving drunk is a pretty Australian thing to do.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Testekill posted:

Calling someone a loving moron for driving drunk is a pretty Australian thing to do.

Actually the standard slogan is "If you drink then drive, you're a bloody idiot".

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Calico Heart posted:

This particular instance was he had to choose between two guys in the Game of Thrones game to be his Sentinel (Idk I assume like a General or something). When he chose Guy1, Guy2 was a little pissy but fine. Guy2 then said "hey we shouldn't go to war with a much larger army that would obviously beat us with ease when we have the option to negotiate peacefully" and Fraser's moron brain could somehow only interpret this information as "Haha this guy is jealous I didn't pick him, what an rear end in a top hat.

I'm kind of hoping that he gets put in his place and all his men die but he was honestly so irritating and stupid in that moment I had to stop watching.

Fraser's biggest issue is that it seems like he's way more intent on trying to be a WACKY CHARACTER instead of just playing the game so he loses focus. This is pretty evident whenever they play RPGs and he just skips a ton of dialogue and then acts confused when he doesn't understand what the hell is going on or why things or happening.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

OldTennisCourt posted:

Fraser's biggest issue is that it seems like he's way more intent on trying to be a WACKY CHARACTER instead of just playing the game so he loses focus. This is pretty evident whenever they play RPGs and he just skips a ton of dialogue and then acts confused when he doesn't understand what the hell is going on or why things or happening.

I don't think he's playing a character. I genuinely think that's how he would actually play games.

Course I'm only speaking from experiences a couple years old, when I stopped watching because he was insufferably douchey to everyone around him.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Uh, holy gently caress :catstare:

For those of you who didn't click the link, it's not just a general story about Arizona, it's about how Miles himself has literally killed a man (who meant to kill Miles with a loving assault rifle).

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

DStecks posted:

For those of you who didn't click the link, it's not just a general story about Arizona, it's about how Miles himself has literally killed a man (who meant to kill Miles with a loving assault rifle).

It's especially hosed up because the guy was apparently mentally ill. What a hosed up situation, I hope it didn't affect Miles too much. :(

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Testekill posted:

Since things have been on the topic of Australia/NZ and anti-drunk-driving campaigns, here's a NZ ad I thought was particularly well-done: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtWirGxV7Q8. Good use of humor.

Also I like Marmite and Vegemite pretty much equally - they're awesome on toast with any combination of the following: Cheese, Avocado, Fried Egg. Marmite has a runnier texture which makes it harder to spread evenly but it also has a stronger taste, but it's also a lot easier to find for cheap in Canada since most grocery stores seem to stock it, whereas Vegemite is more specialty store fare.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

DStecks posted:

The previous thread had a big discussion about this, and the gun Miles was shot with came from Operation Fast and Furious.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Kunster posted:

The previous thread had a big discussion about this, and the gun Miles was shot with came from Operation Fast and Furious.

You know, I never really had any idea what Operation Fast and Furious was until I looked it up just now. Leaving illegal guns alone so you can track them to cartel leaders...that's...really, really silly. Goddamn it.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

KayTee posted:

HOLY GOD - Nearly a month after the event Spoony posts a Vlog of the 3rd film his brother watched as part of a 24-hour marathon.. You don't even have to pay attention to the opinions expressed, just check out all that editing!

I hadn't watched any of Spoony's stuff in months and I don't think I enjoy his stuff anymore he used to have fun with bad movies now it looks like he's going over the top with how much it "hurts" him to watch them. I really like Red Letter Media's Best of the Worst, they just have so much fun with those bad movies.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Infamous Sphere posted:

My Grandpa is English, and he insists that New Zealand marmite (which is what we get in Australia) isn't good enough. He's always trying to get people to import British marmite for him - can't do it himself because he doesn't have the internet. Of course, with the glass jars, the shipping is absurd. Jeez.

Never tried marmite, although it looks..runnier than Vegemite.

Marmite shouldn't be runny - unless it is hot.

Good news for your grandpa - Marmite comes in plastic squeeze bottles.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Bennett reviews an anime that emotionally touched him. And his speech at the end sort of reminds me of what JewWario said.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

So I'll be reviewing all three volumes of the original Trigun manga. The first one is up, and while the story and characters are pretty fun, they're let down by some "dynamic" artwork.

Also, I have a Patreon now!

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Man, I remember when Spoony made jokes and actually enjoyed lovely movies. Now he's just bitter and angry. :(

To be fair, hasn't he been like that for a few years now. I started noticing it on that crossover he did with Diamanda Hagan. The weird low budget religious movie starring former WCW Heavyweight Champion Sting. Yeah, it's a boring religious bio-pic about a guy needing to find Jesus because he hadn't already found Jesus, but it did star a guy who has spent the last 20 years in Crow makeup hitting evil stables with a baseball bat. Of course, this was right after he left Channel Awesome, so that might have been a huge part of it too.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Mraagvpeine posted:

Bennett reviews an anime that emotionally touched him. And his speech at the end sort of reminds me of what JewWario said.

Yeah, pretty powerful speech at the end. I was diagnosed with severe depression two years ago to the extent of having to take anti-psychotics, everything that Bennett was saying at the end rang true with how I had felt for the longest time.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

New Pre-Rec is up. This time Rich and err the bald guy talk about the ********* a recent release by Nintendo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3w8ZNYoFEQ

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Baka-nin posted:

New Pre-Rec is up. This time Rich and err the bald guy talk about the ********* a recent release by Nintendo.

Can't click this because I'm at work but what's the game or gimmick here

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Calaveron posted:

Can't click this because I'm at work but what's the game or gimmick here

Nintendo's lovely Youtube policy makes it hard to talk about their games.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Baka-nin posted:

This is much more fun that Angry Joe complaining about Nintendo.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
On one hand I enjoy the rage copyright holders create when they pull this stuff on Internet critics but on the other hand sometimes I just want to see a let's play or something before I buy a game.

I think if things ever got super strict RLM could pull off great reviews without actually using copyrighted material. Other youtubers though? Most of them would die off.

PassTheRemote posted:

http://youtubedoubler.com/b7z1

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

PassTheRemote posted:

That was supposed to be entertaining?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

On one hand I enjoy the rage copyright holders create when they pull this stuff on Internet critics but on the other hand sometimes I just want to see a let's play or something before I buy a game.

I think if things ever got super strict RLM could pull off great reviews without actually using copyrighted material. Other youtubers though? Most of them would die off.

http://youtubedoubler.com/b7z1

I enjoyed him seeming to think 'hey major international corporation ALL YOU WANT IS MONEY' is some loving huge slam.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

This is why I can't wrap my head around people kvetching so much about the Nintendo stuff. You can review poo poo without using the content left and right.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

This is why I can't wrap my head around people kvetching so much about the Nintendo stuff. You can review poo poo without using the content left and right.

Well nintendo will pull your video for depicting even their own promotional material that they've given you for use in reviews. So basically you'd have to be 100% facetime talking about the product without actually featuring anything to look at. In general an audience wants to see something visually stimulating instead of a pastey nerd's face. As a result nintendo videos like that will cause a drop in viewers and not be worth reviewing ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

ahahahahahahahah

• Locked thread