Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I think the people making Suikoden IV genuinely liked it and thought it was good. It got a spinoff, even. And it must not have sold all that badly because it isn't like V was a rush job or noticeably cheaper on production values (and in fact, was noticeably better on them).

Doesn't make it or any of the Suikoden games good games or bad games but just a thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nakar posted:

I think the people making Suikoden IV genuinely liked it and thought it was good. It got a spinoff, even. And it must not have sold all that badly because it isn't like V was a rush job or noticeably cheaper on production values (and in fact, was noticeably better on them).

Doesn't make it or any of the Suikoden games good games or bad games but just a thought.

The interesting thing there is that the spinoff was in production before the bad reception. They really were anticipating it being a better-received game than it was. In Japan the spinoff is actually not a Suikoden game, it's titled Rhapsodia and they were hoping to expand it into a new franchise. (Which, uh, didn't happen.) They rebranded it back to Suikoden Tactics in the US because welp.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Endorph posted:

if you want to make a case that konami decided to sabotage a semi-popular series and did so by pouring hundreds of thousands of dollars, several years of work, and dozens upon dozens of employees into a project, then you're a loving moron

I honestly don't know if you're being serious here, or are making a Silent Hills joke.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Codiekitty posted:

I honestly don't know if you're being serious here, or are making a Silent Hills joke.

You could have just looked at the next comment.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Codiekitty posted:

we still don't know what happened between kojima and konami, but it's pretty apparent that it was some bad mojo.

meanwhile, according to the man himself, they liked the guy who made Suikoden even after he left the company.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

mycot posted:

You could have just looked at the next comment.

That's making a case that Konami didn't intentionally sabotage Suikoden. But I read the original comment with "lol, Silent Hills" and wasn't sure if it was intended.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So with the Fable Trilogy done I'm looking for another WRPG series to move onto.

My GF and other friends are all Skyrim addicts but I have some other online friends who swear by Morrowind as the best ES game.

What do people here think? My plan is to go in order with Morrowind than Oblivion than Skyrim, although Oblivion seems to be rather unpopular or at least less popular than the other two.

Also I've been told Fallout 3 (which I recently played) is basically Skyrim, big open world where you run around picking locks and forget there is even a plot to follow.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

So with the Fable Trilogy done I'm looking for another WRPG series to move onto.

My GF and other friends are all Skyrim addicts but I have some other online friends who swear by Morrowind as the best ES game.

What do people here think? My plan is to go in order with Morrowind than Oblivion than Skyrim, although Oblivion seems to be rather unpopular or at least less popular than the other two.

Also I've been told Fallout 3 (which I recently played) is basically Skyrim, big open world where you run around picking locks and forget there is even a plot to follow.

Morrowind is extremely dated but conceptually interesting. It depends on how much you're willing to tolerate dated for that. I'd say go Morrowind -> Skyrim, Oblivion isn't worth it.

Fallout 3 or New Vegas is probably the way to go. New Vegas is better but you should probably play FO3 first so you can enjoy the improvements.

Also look into The Witcher.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Maybe I phrased it wrong but I've already played Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Good games with NV being better but 3 still being really fun.

And as a Xenogears fanboy it should be clear I'm willing to forgive a lot of things if the story is good. If Morrowind's combat is as clunky as I've been told but the world and characters and choices are interesting enough, I can look passed the dated graphics/combat completely.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Maybe I phrased it wrong but I've already played Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Good games with NV being better but 3 still being really fun.

And as a Xenogears fanboy it should be clear I'm willing to forgive a lot of things if the story is good. If Morrowind's combat is as clunky as I've been told but the world and characters and choices are interesting enough, I can look passed the dated graphics/combat completely.

Morrowind is conceptually interesting in gameplay more than character. It has some interesting character bits (and I think is more interesting but rougher than Skyrim's setting) but it's mostly just fun for having a weird explorable world you can break in tons of ways.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Serious Frolicking posted:

I'm still amazed that there even was a 5th suikoden after 4.

suikoden tactics was also good

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

corn in the bible posted:

suikoden tactics was also good
Tactics is great, especially when Kyril finds out how freak-nasty his dad was. I would have been too traumatized to keep going personally, and it doesn't even really have that much to do with the plot. It's just like "Yeah, your dad hosed some interdimensional goat-woman and you hatched from an egg or something, now you can never un-know this. Have fun saving the world."

EDIT: It's even better than I remember because he spends like 3/4 the game treating his mom like some weird little dog his dad kept around.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 21, 2015

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What were the unlockables in tactics that you needed another game save to unlock?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

What were the unlockables in tactics that you needed another game save to unlock?

You could recruit the Suikoden IV MC and Snowe.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

You could recruit the Suikoden IV MC and Snowe.

Oh was that it? I thought there was more to it than that lol

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

Well, the Suikoden IV MC comes with his true rune, which became a multi-tile hitting nuke.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Nakar posted:

Tactics is great, especially when Kyril finds out how freak-nasty his dad was. I would have been too traumatized to keep going personally, and it doesn't even really have that much to do with the plot. It's just like "Yeah, your dad hosed some interdimensional goat-woman and you hatched from an egg or something, now you can never un-know this. Have fun saving the world."

EDIT: It's even better than I remember because he spends like 3/4 the game treating his mom like some weird little dog his dad kept around.

This was the best goddamn reveal ever. It was the essence of :catstare: or, I dunno, :goatstare:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Phantasium posted:

Battles will go faster if you change the camera angle in the options. You can set it to have a traditional overhead view and it'll not pause for critical hits and also cycle through turns faster since it's not doing dynamic pans over the super-aged 3D models.
That's what I did but it still has trouble, like any time Harpy-types are in a battle. I wish there was a way to overclock the PS1 but I'm playing this on Vita.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

OddObserver posted:

Well, the Suikoden IV MC comes with his true rune, which became a multi-tile hitting nuke.

He went from his True Rune being completely lovely and worthless in Suikoden IV to being pretty broken in Suikoden Tactics too.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

NikkolasKing posted:

I wouldn't really say Morrowind is about story and characters, per se. It doesn't have an appreciatively deeper story or more fleshed out characters than the later games that it gets compared unfavorably to. What it DOES have is a much more fleshed out world, and it really nails the feeling of exploration that's missing from a lot of more modern WRPGs. A lot of WRPGs can feel a bit like a static sandbox where you're dicking around rather than a living, dangerous world that you're exploring. Morrowind is closer to an old-school dungeon crawler in that regard — it's about exploring uncharted places and finding cool loot rather than experiencing a gripping narrative.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

He went from his True Rune being completely lovely and worthless in Suikoden IV to being pretty broken in Suikoden Tactics too.
Then the rune made a return in S5 under a slightly different name and it was utter crap.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

SelenicMartian posted:

Then the rune made a return in S5 under a slightly different name and it was utter crap.

That was a sub-Rune of it (like Darkness Rune vs Soul Eater). They're always worse.

But yeah Condemnation was particularly bad.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Skyrim is just kind of an odd duck in that the story is not particularly interesting and the setting is mostly forgettable but it's still stupid fun to go around screwing with NPC's, exploring crypts/dungeons, and shooting bears off mountains. It's also a game where you can get over 100 solid hours of entertainmment without finishing the game and that's totally fine because the main stories aren't very interesting and not worth finishing.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

That's all you get in any of the Suikodens, though.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Punishment without the downsides is pretty okay at the end of 4, and it's still decently useful before that. It just kinda looks lovely when they give you the Soul Eater to use as well.

It is definitely more useful in Tactics for some of the effects it has that are unique to the Tactics design, and it has no downsides since it's post-True Ending S4. Also I seem to vaguely recall the S4 protagonist is also a pretty overpowered or at least above-average fighter and can't randomly die, so he's well worth a permanent team spot if you can get him.

Rad Shadow
Sep 30, 2009
Hi gang.

Random conversations with my coworkers led me to do this.

I'm gathering as many people that are willing to give me their top 10 favorite rpgs of all time. I want to see what the masses consider.

If you want to participate (I'd love to get over 200 people's list) please send me a pm with your list in order can I can give them points.

I'm asking for pm so everyone's list is individual and so another person's list doesn't affect/alter/adjust you own games. Or just post your lists here. lol

Any and all games you would consider are fine. I've gotten plenty of obscure games so far. The more people I can get to participate, will result in a better overall listing.

So a little more info on what I'm doing.

I am trying to reach out to a wide audience to get as many peoples lists (their 10 favorite RPGs) so I can see which games stand out.

There are some obvious ones, but the variety of games I have seen on peoples lists is pretty wide.

As to why I only want 10 games?

I created a Excel spread sheet. Each game gets a row. Every list submitted gets a line. In that line I got down each row and assign the points to the games based on the order you placed them in your own personal top 10 rankings. You number one favorite game gets 10 points, 2nd gets 9 and all the way to number ten on the list getting 1 point.

Ranking and order matter. but if you don't a specific order, I will just go up or down your list and assign the points as they are listed. If you pick just a series, I will pick a random game from that series to assign the points to. Not perfect, but eh.

My spreadsheet is massive, but I don't want to stop now.

When I'm satisfied I will collect the data and write up a little article with stats and other things.

I might even make a sporcle quiz based on my results.

So please. Help me out and submit your list. Post here, since I can't receive PMs...

Or spoiler tag it, if you want to be discreet.

Thanks for the help!

Shadow, out!

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Rad Shadow posted:

I'm gathering as many people that are willing to give me their top 10 favorite rpgs of all time. I want to see what the masses consider.

If you want to participate (I'd love to get over 200 people's list) please send me a pm with your list in order can I can give them points.

Assuming you're serious about doing this, it would be much much better to create a Google spreadsheet and set up a form that everyone can enter them into. I'm not sure you'll get good responses, though, given SA's track record.

quote:

Shadow, out!

Don't do this.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

That's all you get in any of the Suikodens, though.

Tactics was the first suikoden game I'd ever played and I ended up putting it down cause I'd burned myself out on srpgs

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Assuming you're serious about doing this, it would be much much better to create a Google spreadsheet and set up a form that everyone can enter them into. I'm not sure you'll get good responses, though, given SA's track record.

Don't do this.
Don't crush his dreams. Endorph, out!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I don't have PMs because I got banned

Rad Shadow
Sep 30, 2009
Then post your lists here. Or spoiler tag your post.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
1. Mass Effect 2
2. Final Fantasy Tactics
3. Fallout: New Vegas
4. Xenogears
5. Final Fantasy 4
6. Final Fantasy 7
7. Chronotrigger
8. Fallout 2
9. Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky FC
10. Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines

My soul is bare. You really should do some google doc with an entry form though. It's super easy.

E: gently caress my phone

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 22, 2015

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Final Fantasy 12
Trails in the Sky
Last Remnant
Dark Cloud
Bowser's Inside Story
Persona 3
Suikoden II
stomping on a xenosaga disc (any)

uh I think thats it

earthbound was okay

e: oh yeah BOF Dragon Quarter

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 22, 2015

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
How is Quest for Glory 2 not on that list?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

thats true. and rocket slime also

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

A lot of this is based on nostalgia :v:

1 Skies of Arcadia
2 Chrono Cross
3 Breath of Fire 3
4 Dark Cloud 2
5 Fire Emblem
6 Final Fantasy 8
7 Dragon Quest 8
8 Pokemon Crystal
9 Legend of Dragoon
10 Radiata Stories

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 22, 2015

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

1. Alpha Protocol
2. Witcher 2
3. Fallout: New Vegas
4. Vampire Bloodlines
5. Final Fantasy 5
6. Persona 4
7. Planescape
8. Fallout 2
9. Mass Effect 2
10. Final Fantasy X-2 :colbert:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
1-3) Final Fantasy 9, Lost Odyssey, Mother 3 sorry man, tied for first
4) Suikoden 1
5) Suikoden 2
6) Final Fantasy 6
7) Chrono Trigger
8) Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky
(seriously)
9) Front Mission Gun Hazard
10) Romancing SaGa 3

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I haven't touched most of the PS2 RPGs I've got lying around (been on a huge PS2 game collecting binge recently) and the original Playstation was before my time so I didn't have much to choose from.

1. Final Fantasy X
2. Shadow Hearts Covenant
3. Xenosaga III
4. Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen
5. Skyrim
6. Mass Effect 2
7: Ni No Kuni
8: Oblivion
9. Pokemon Diamond/Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team
10: Drakan: The Ancient Gates

Everblue 2 would be pretty high up there but it doesn't really count.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

1. Evergrace
2. Unlimited SaGa
3. Forever Kingdom
4. Blue Dragon
5. Infinite Undiscovery
6. Enchanted Arms
7. Ni No Kuni