Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Rad Valtar posted:

So Link is my favorite Nintendo character and I've never played a Dynasty Warriors game before. I'm looking at videos of Hyrule Warriors and running around destroying enemies with him looks fun as hell. Would you guys recommend it based on the above?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Rad Valtar posted:

So Link is my favorite Nintendo character and I've never played a Dynasty Warriors game before. I'm looking at videos of Hyrule Warriors and running around destroying enemies with him looks fun as hell. Would you guys recommend it based on the above?

Co-op is really fun in the game also. No split-screen, instead one person gets the gamepad screen, the other person gets the TV. Buy it

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

many johnnys posted:

Co-op is really fun in the game also. No split-screen, instead one person gets the gamepad screen, the other person gets the TV. Buy it

Awesome, me and my wife are always looking for fun couch coop games. Thanks for the recommendation guys.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Rad Valtar posted:

Awesome, me and my wife are always looking for fun couch coop games. Thanks for the recommendation guys.

The frame rate suffers noticeably in co-op mode but 60 seconds into it you'll probably be too focused on battle to really mind.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Am I alone in thinking the Mario Party 10 mini games loving suck

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Raserys posted:

They're like 60% good and 40% goomba

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
mario party 10

emphasis on the party

stop playing it alone

not called mario alone 10

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Hydrocodone posted:

The frame rate suffers noticeably in co-op mode but 60 seconds into it you'll probably be too focused on battle to really mind.

Also less dudes spawn, so even though you could split up, that actually makes clearing keeps take longer. Stick together!

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Paper Mario's going up on the Aussie and EU eShop this week :peanut:. We also get Kirby's Epic Yarn as well.
Sadly, Paper Mario is the European 50hz version, at least in EU (I assume Aus gets the same though). Avoid.

But very much get Epic Yarn, it's the most adorable game.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Raserys posted:

I have a vague memory of one being really bad but I've been happy with them as a whole.

Also that gem bonus game is stupid fun for a little thing that was quietly thrown in the backburner of the game. GF and I got super into that the other night

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

KennyMan666 posted:

Sadly, Paper Mario is the European 50hz version, at least in EU (I assume Aus gets the same though). Avoid.

But very much get Epic Yarn, it's the most adorable game.

why is that bad? i am in the EU. wouldnt that be the right thing?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The new survival horror game from Nintendo

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Rad Valtar posted:

Don't forget to use/buy a Pro Controller as 2nd player because the alternative control scheme for 2P is a Wiimote with waggle to attack. My friend likes it but I don't understand how.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

VideoGames posted:

why is that bad? i am in the EU. wouldnt that be the right thing?

The game was not optimized for 50hz back in the day, so it plays slower. To make matters worse, the U doesn't know how to cope with 50hz output properly either so every other frame it does weird artifacting that will start to get on your nerves.

Also, you will want instead to mod your U to play Gamecube games and play TTYD instead.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think 50hz/60hz is the kind of thing that you wouldn't really notice on your own until people point it out and then it kind of ruins things

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Minidust posted:

The main sin of the NSMB games, ironically, is that they don't feel "new" at all. They essentially used the same assets for four games on four separate platforms. Meanwhile, SMB 1-3 on NES looked nothing like each other.

To be fair, the real "lost levels" SMB2 was so identical to SMB1 that it felt like like a bad romhack.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

Also, you will want instead to mod your U to play Gamecube games and play TTYD instead.

Wait you can do this? I can play Mario Sunshine and be whole again?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Infinitum posted:

Wait you can do this? I can play Mario Sunshine and be whole again?

Yeah, you install the homebrew channel on the Wii side then install Nintendont.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

You can even play them with a GameCube controller if you have the adapter.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Awesome, I'll start researching it now.

As an aside is it easy to do, and do I run the risk of bricking my system?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

raditts posted:

Yeah, you install the homebrew channel on the Wii side then install Nintendont.

I'm really excited for the day Nintendon't figures out how to use the gamepad buttons.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
You could, in theory, brick vWii, but it's practically impossible.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Infinitum posted:

Awesome, I'll start researching it now.

As an aside is it easy to do, and do I run the risk of bricking my system?

It's stupid easy, you just need an SD card sized 2gb or less and one of the Wii games that can be exploited to install HBC. Look up Smash Stack.

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.
On that topic: since the Wii U seems to require exclusive access to its storage devices, is it possible to use two hard disks at the same time, one for Wii U digital games and another for vWii/homebrew stuff?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

An interesting bundle from Argos if you are in the UK: Wii U 32GB + Wind Waker HD, Fifa 13, Mario & Sonic at the 2014 Winter Olympics, Metroid: Other M and Wii Quiz Party for £199.99. A cheap way to get a premium U, Wind Waker, four other games, and the chance to make all "the baby" drinking games you ever dreamed of.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Depressing Box posted:

On that topic: since the Wii U seems to require exclusive access to its storage devices, is it possible to use two hard disks at the same time, one for Wii U digital games and another for vWii/homebrew stuff?

Yeah. You'll get a pop up saying "we see an HD, do you wanna format it?" and you say no.

You can alternatively use UStealth to hide it from the Wii U altogether, but you'll need to get a modded USB loader if you do that.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Playing NSMB for DS for the first time. Pretty neat. Nothing too exciting or new since I played the crap out of NSMBW and NSMBU, but interesting to see where the series started.

VideoGames posted:

wow, stop spoiling me Nintendo! I nearly bought Paper Mario on WiiVC last night because I am having a great time with Super Paper Mario. Glad I didnt!

Also Yarn Kirby looks like my kind of game so glad I can get a digital copy of that too!

Please keep playing awesome games for the first time that I haven't played in ages, it's fun to read your thoughts.

many johnnys posted:

What I want is this feature on Mario Kart 8.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
A multiplat release hits the Wii U in the following weeks: Don't Starve: Giant Edition comes out in the US on the 28th of May, EU the following week. There's also a special sale right away: Buy one and get one free for your friend or goon.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Jarogue posted:

No he is right about that one. The only one I really like was the first one was good since it had been a while since a 2D Mario game had been made. The Wii one was ok too. The U and 2 felt really cheep and were just there to have a game on the Wii U and test DLC and score attack on 3DS.

If you have the Homebrew Channel, figure out how to play Newer Super Mario Bros Wii.

http://www.newerteam.com/

I was surprised how easy it was to get up and running, and I think it's even better than the Wii game. It actually does a lot of innovative stuff, and breaks away from the mold of the standard level designs (grass world -> desert world -> water world -> etc.)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Perry Normal posted:

Please keep playing awesome games for the first time that I haven't played in ages, it's fun to read your thoughts.

Thank you! I will and there are so many left! on holiday next week so Im going to dedicate a large chunk of time to both Metroid Prime and Galaxy 1. Galaxy has already won me over.

Metroid Prime ive spent a grand total of ten minutes on and i was starting to be impressed by the fact it had such a distinctive control design that worked as good as mouse/kb. i wanted to have a good day to really get into it as I fear its going to be one of those games I start and dont stop till I finish. Thought holiday was the perfect time!

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

I've never played Kirby's Epic Yarn. It looks super fun, however I'm getting Yoshi's Woolly World the day it comes out - am I going to tire myself out with delightful fabric whimsy if I get Kirby now to tide me over?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
um kirby is yarn, yoshi is wool

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

um kirby is yarn, yoshi is wool

Now they need something felt to corner the market.

Eindyin
Mar 23, 2004

#1 Son
I just realised Splatoon is coming out on Queens Birthday Weekend, ie a 3 day weekend (in NZ anyway). Finally a reason to appreciate the Queen.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
quick question for the thread, it looks like my wiiu has an empty SD card slot. is there any size limit or speed limit to what I can put in there? can I use it for digital games too? or is it easier just to go for an external hard drive?

Saoshyant posted:

The game was not optimized for 50hz back in the day, so it plays slower. To make matters worse, the U doesn't know how to cope with 50hz output properly either so every other frame it does weird artifacting that will start to get on your nerves.

i dont have anything gamecube related sadly so it would be wasted on me right now. plus id rather buy through the VC

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Infinitum posted:

Now they need something felt to corner the market.

Felt-Zero.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

VideoGames posted:

quick question for the thread, it looks like my wiiu has an empty SD card slot. is there any size limit or speed limit to what I can put in there? can I use it for digital games too? or is it easier just to go for an external hard drive?

The SD card doesn't work for Wii U storage, so you couldn't download games onto it. It's mostly there for Wii mode compatibility, which would be storage for Virtual Console or WiiWare games that don't fit on your internal storage, game saves, and mp3s to change the background music in Excite Truck. If you want an SD card that's compatible with most games, 2 GB SD regular (not HC or XC) is the real upper limit.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Spoderman posted:

The SD card doesn't work for Wii U storage, so you couldn't download games onto it. It's mostly there for Wii mode compatibility, which would be storage for Virtual Console or WiiWare games that don't fit on your internal storage, game saves, and mp3s to change the background music in Excite Truck. If you want an SD card that's compatible with most games, 2 GB SD regular (not HC or XC) is the real upper limit.

thank you! I think I will get a nice big external drive then! I can see the majority of the titles I own will be via VC. the deals ive been taking advantage of are excellent

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

VideoGames posted:

Thank you! I will and there are so many left! on holiday next week so Im going to dedicate a large chunk of time to both Metroid Prime and Galaxy 1. Galaxy has already won me over.

Metroid Prime ive spent a grand total of ten minutes on and i was starting to be impressed by the fact it had such a distinctive control design that worked as good as mouse/kb. i wanted to have a good day to really get into it as I fear its going to be one of those games I start and dont stop till I finish. Thought holiday was the perfect time!

Prepare yourself for a day or two of enjoying one of the best games of all time, friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

RyokoTK posted:

Prepare yourself for a day or two of enjoying one of the best games of all time, friend.

i am not going to lie, i am pretty pumped. ive had my wiiu for 22 days now and this has been the most fun gaming month i have in memory.

• Locked thread