Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

ChetReckless posted:

Really, any of the third party apps will sort by date and provide notifications (usually on a podcast by podcast basis if that matters, even). Some (Overcast and Pocket Casts, other I assume) can push new podcasts as they are released, rather than checking on a schedule. I haven't used the native app for a while so I don't know what it's capable of.

:words:

I always expect any question about podcast apps in the app thread to be ironic or whatever at this point so if I missed the joke just pretend I wrote something about weather widgets.

Not a joke. I really want a podcast app that notifies me, or auto-sorts when a new episode is available. I completely missed out on the fact that Startup Season 2 has been out for a few weeks because the default app does almost nothing in the way of telling you what's new and what's not.

You're kind of losing me a bit with the whole Playlists functionality. In Overcast, I subscribe to playlists and they are in a certain order. I just want a little notification popup to say "New episode of Startup available now!" or whatever as it auto-downloads while I'm on wifi. Or when I open the app, it orders my subscribed podcasts by which ones have the most recent episodes.

Like Twitter or Instagram shows you who you follow has new posts at the top. Doesn't seem like an outrageous request of a podcast app, and I'm willing to pay for it, I just want to know which one(s) do that before I fork over the dough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Overcast and Downcast do that for sure. Overcast does it through a third-party server, so there can be a little lag between when a podcast is published and when it pushes it. It seems like a standard part of any podcast app beyond the stock one, I guess.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Endless Mike posted:

Overcast and Downcast do that for sure. Overcast does it through a third-party server, so there can be a little lag between when a podcast is published and when it pushes it. It seems like a standard part of any podcast app beyond the stock one, I guess.

i think he might want the popup when the app is opened as opposed to notification center, but i definitely get a bunch of notifications at 3 am EST on podcast days in Overcast.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

ShoogaSlim posted:

You're kind of losing me a bit with the whole Playlists functionality. In Overcast, I subscribe to playlists and they are in a certain order. I just want a little notification popup to say "New episode of Startup available now!" or whatever as it auto-downloads while I'm on wifi. Or when I open the app, it orders my subscribed podcasts by which ones have the most recent episodes.

Yeah, you're in good shape then. Pretty much any of the third party apps have you covered. Order by newest is pretty standard across the board as well as notifications through the usual iOS processes (banners/alerts/whatever). Some will put the number of un-listened episodes as a badge on the icon. The usual favourite apps are Overcast, Pocket Casts, and Downcast -- you'd probably do fine with any of them.

I'm fairly surprised that the default app doesn't cover those bases as they are pretty much ubiquitous everywhere else.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Literally can't even tell if this thread is being trolled anymore every loving post is talking about podcast and weather eps. Just make the op downcast for podcasts dark sky for weather

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
If someone was able to properly curate and maintain a (good) applist they would be doing it for the appstore and making six figures off Apple already.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Zigmidge posted:

If someone was able to properly curate and maintain a (good) applist they would be doing it for the appstore and making six figures off Apple already.

Someone tried, Chomp was a pretty good searching tool until Apple gobbled it up and did nothing with the tech.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Anyone know a good podcast app other than the default one?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Last Chance posted:

Anyone know a good podcast app other than the default one?

No, Apple bans all podcasting apps except the default one. Sorry, friend! Good luck in your travels and god speed.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I like Overcast.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

ChetReckless posted:

Yeah, you're in good shape then. Pretty much any of the third party apps have you covered. Order by newest is pretty standard across the board as well as notifications through the usual iOS processes (banners/alerts/whatever). Some will put the number of un-listened episodes as a badge on the icon. The usual favourite apps are Overcast, Pocket Casts, and Downcast -- you'd probably do fine with any of them.

I'm fairly surprised that the default app doesn't cover those bases as they are pretty much ubiquitous everywhere else.

Thank you for taking my inquiry seriously and giving good feedback. I appreciate it.

I can't understand why the stock app doesn't have this feature, either. You order your podcasts and they stay fixed in those positions with little numbers next to them to let you know how many new episodes are available (or a ! to indicate that you haven't listened in a while and it won't even bother updating until you manually select it). But if you have Serial all the way at the bottom of the list because there haven't been new episodes since the season ended, it will stay at the bottom even when a new episode is pushed out. I'm not going to open the app every day and scroll around to see what's new for podcasts that are "on hold."

Also: lots of belly-aching about podcast apps. At least I'm discussing actual functionality? Or has this poo poo all been gone over before ad nauseum?

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
I can't figure out how to find the temperature in Overcast.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

PFlats posted:

I can't figure out how to find the temperature in Overcast.

Here you go:

http://weatherbrains.com/weatherbrains/

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

ShoogaSlim posted:

Thank you for taking my inquiry seriously and giving good feedback. I appreciate it.

I can't understand why the stock app doesn't have this feature, either. You order your podcasts and they stay fixed in those positions with little numbers next to them to let you know how many new episodes are available (or a ! to indicate that you haven't listened in a while and it won't even bother updating until you manually select it). But if you have Serial all the way at the bottom of the list because there haven't been new episodes since the season ended, it will stay at the bottom even when a new episode is pushed out. I'm not going to open the app every day and scroll around to see what's new for podcasts that are "on hold."

Also: lots of belly-aching about podcast apps. At least I'm discussing actual functionality? Or has this poo poo all been gone over before ad nauseum?

Like I'm not trying to specifically give you poo poo but your question gets asked (and in depthly answered) literally every other page.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pissflaps posted:

I like Overcast.

Same, Pissflaps. Same.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Any 1Password alternatives?

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

noirstronaut posted:

Any 1Password alternatives?

LastPass

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I've been looking at this one app called Dashlane

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ShoogaSlim posted:

Yes. Podcasts, weather, and passwords.

Every other page. Then it turned into a dark parody of itself. And then it was driven into the ground, emerged somewhere around the South Pacific, re-oriented, and driven back.

So, now whenever someone comes along asking an innocent question about the Forbidden Apps, everyone dogpiles thinking that for sure we're being trolled.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Anyone ever use Dashlane?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Yes lots of people.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Yes lots of people.

I haven't seen a mod troll in awhile!

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
:siren:A New Challenger Appears!:siren:
(App Store Link)

The widgets leave something to be desired (too big for my taste), but it's pretty nice on the whole. Forecast.io dataset.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

CaptainPsyko posted:

(App Store Link)

The widgets leave something to be desired (too big for my taste), but it's pretty nice on the whole. Forecast.io dataset.

Nice Android app.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I don't like the font.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

CaptainPsyko posted:

(App Store Link)

I find this app to be ugly and busy and I don't like it. :colbert:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

CaptainPsyko posted:

(App Store Link)

:barf:

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
pretend i emptyquoted everything above

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

rear end Catchcum posted:

Like I'm not trying to specifically give you poo poo but your question gets asked (and in depthly answered) literally every other page.

flosofl posted:

Yes. Podcasts, weather, and passwords.

Every other page. Then it turned into a dark parody of itself. And then it was driven into the ground, emerged somewhere around the South Pacific, re-oriented, and driven back.

So, now whenever someone comes along asking an innocent question about the Forbidden Apps, everyone dogpiles thinking that for sure we're being trolled.

In my defense: I checked the OP first, and it only offered very basic info about a few podcast apps. Generally, when I enter a new thread with a myriad of pages I go back a page or two to sort of "catch up" on what's being discussed. Podcasts were brought up, but not anything about what I was looking for, specifically. Sorry to poo poo the thread up.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

ShoogaSlim posted:

In my defense: I checked the OP first, and it only offered very basic info about a few podcast apps. Generally, when I enter a new thread with a myriad of pages I go back a page or two to sort of "catch up" on what's being discussed. Podcasts were brought up, but not anything about what I was looking for, specifically. Sorry to poo poo the thread up.

Instead of going a page or two back, try devoting your catch-up to a week instead of 50 posts, especially in a thread that is mostly two sentence posts, or use search with the thread id.

I’m not trying to be an rear end, this is a genuine suggestion to make getting the information you want quicker.

CaptainPsyko posted:

(App Store Link)

Oh dear god how terrible does it look if you hit the ’nerd out’ button?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
It's weird that the app is so close to being a nicely designed app. Like, hell, even if they just made all of the body text some title font like Gotham, it'd look multiple times better. Remove a few things from one single view and then you have a nice app.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Nice Android app.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

CaptainPsyko posted:

(App Store Link)

Oh sweet, it's Weather Line but with autism.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Overcast's notifications are kinda lovely. Like, I'll download a new episode, listen to it, then 6 hours later I'll look in my notification centre and suddenly be told that a new episode is out.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Kaizoku posted:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Kaizoku posted:

Instead of going a page or two back, try devoting your catch-up to a week instead of 50 posts, especially in a thread that is mostly two sentence posts, or use search with the thread id.

I’m not trying to be an rear end, this is a genuine suggestion to make getting the information you want quicker.

Oh goddammit I thought you were kidding about this

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I actually wouldn't mind having one-touch access to this information, but the main app interface is a little much.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

The user pushed a button! :siren: Change the colour scheme and design completely!! :siren:

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I've been poking at this for a while, and I'm just not figuring it out. Does anyone know how I can stream video from my PC to iOS? I thought VLC could do it, but it hasn't seemed to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Plex