Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dumpbuckets
Dec 26, 2012

Never really worked with TTW before, nor played too much of fallout 3 to begin with so I really wouldn't know about that. That said, makes sense and I stand corrected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

Quick question, I can't find an original Fallout 3/NV thread so I'm asking here.

I just finished F3 for the first time and before I buy any DLC should I just play and buy Fallout:New Vegas instead because it is the better game or are they very similar in play style? I really just enjoy exploring/killing random camps/towns. Thanks

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Cloud the Cat posted:

Quick question, I can't find an original Fallout 3/NV thread so I'm asking here.

I just finished F3 for the first time and before I buy any DLC should I just play and buy Fallout:New Vegas instead because it is the better game or are they very similar in play style? I really just enjoy exploring/killing random camps/towns. Thanks

New Vegas is the better game but if you've already finished Fallout 3's main game and liked it, you may as well buy the DLC first. Point Lookout and Broken Steel are decent, The Pitt is alright and Operation Anchorage and Mothership Zeta suck but you could probably get them in a bundle or something anyway.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
Yeah, I loved New Vegas tons more but FO3's DLC is, in order, probably ranked Point Lookout, The Pitt, Zeta and Operation Anchorage roughly tie for me. Although AO made did give me a weak hint of Metal Gear Solid/Shadow Moses for a few parts. I never got a chance to try Broken Steel. At least not enough to remember a single bit.

Weren't all the songs on Fallout 3's radio public domain? I was just wondering why no one had just ripped over GNR's playlist sans-Three Dog. And added in the second half of Butcher Pete. Maybe some of it was licensed?

I wish I could remember what the mod was that added Praise The Lord And Pass The Ammunition in with a bunch more music and see if there were something equivalent for FNV.

Syrant fucked around with this message at 09:51 on May 20, 2015

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
Operation Anchorage saving grace was early power armor training and bugged suits of winterized t51b suits with millions of HP.

Mothership Zeta... I got nothing.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

LEGO Genetics posted:

Weird alien crystals to fill your house with?

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

Cheers guys, perfect! I'm going to play New Vegas!! At least it seems to have a more active community these days!

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

LEGO Genetics posted:

You enjoy the sensation of being kicked in the balls with spiked golf cleats?

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
e: /\/\/\ I don't remember MZ being hard, just weird and repetitive. Hard I can handle, if you're talking about Dead Money, but FO3's devs have no understanding of hard beyond stupidly high HP.

Syrant posted:

I wish I could remember what the mod was that added Praise The Lord And Pass The Ammunition in with a bunch more music and see if there were something equivalent for FNV.

I found a copy of that on Archive.org (I think it's this one, I'm at work and can't listen to it atm but I know it's a big band cover) and threw it on my mod's radio station, but I'm not clear on how much of the content there is actually public domain. I also want to use the Andrews Sisters/Bing Crosby singing Route 66 since I found it there, but I'm almost positive that's not PD. (Thankfully I think Leadbelly's "When I was a cowboy" is.)

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Mothership Zeta was just boring, pretty out of place in the setting and says aliens were behind the war happening in the first place which most fans rightfully choose to ignore. At least the other DLCs, even Anchorage fit the setting of Fallout and explored some of the pre-war history.

Edit: While The Pitt is merely okay, I did actually quite like the industrial hellscape setting of the place and is probably worth it just for that. Especially if you download some graphical mods that make it look even darker, grimier and worn.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
A perfect example of how they kinda hosed up, "Let's take what was more or less a one-shot joke and turn it into a whole gameplay segment and also work it into the canon".

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I like the 50s spaceship aesthetic of Mothership Zeta, all dry ice and rayguns. All the DLC threw in some nice visuals really, probably more so than the New Vegas DLC did.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I played Mothership Zeta with Mart's Mutant Mod installed. It increased the spawn rate immensely, so I ended up having to fight through corridors literally filled to the brim with shielded aliens.

It was awful.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Zeta is funny as poo poo though, there's a fuckin samurai going all ninja mode on space aliens and poo poo in it and a toy horse factory and you end up having your own spaceship (that you can't really do anything with but shut up).

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Saint Sputnik posted:

e: /\/\/\ I don't remember MZ being hard, just weird and repetitive. Hard I can handle, if you're talking about Dead Money, but FO3's devs have no understanding of hard beyond stupidly high HP.

My meaning was that MZ is actively unpleasantly to play, like being kicked in the groin with spiked golf cleats. For me, it's definitely the worst fallout DLC.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

Saint Sputnik posted:

I found a copy of that on Archive.org (I think it's this one, I'm at work and can't listen to it atm but I know it's a big band cover) and threw it on my mod's radio station, but I'm not clear on how much of the content there is actually public domain. I also want to use the Andrews Sisters/Bing Crosby singing Route 66 since I found it there, but I'm almost positive that's not PD. (Thankfully I think Leadbelly's "When I was a cowboy" is.)

This is the version from the mod. I am fairly sure. It's not a -huge- deal but I just liked it.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Klaus88 posted:

My meaning was that MZ is actively unpleasantly to play, like being kicked in the groin with spiked golf cleats. For me, it's definitely the worst fallout DLC.

I think it's actively terrible and overly hard in TTW, since the changes to armor mechanics make their 150DAM rapid firing rifles hyper-lethal.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

please check your New Vegas files, and make sure this is just something that got hosed up on my end.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Missing Name posted:

please check your New Vegas files, and make sure this is just something that got hosed up on my end.

No, the Minigun had the wrong repair formlist for a while - possibly multiple different wrong formlists through various patches, can't remember - but they eventually fixed it with that one.

Edit: Oh, that's right; the straight "RepairMinigun" list has the Grenade Launcher in it for some reason (and not the Minigun). I think changing existing things (on Obsidian's end) was made more difficult thanks to the console versions of the game not having load order tools - and really, ideally you shouldn't need those for a patch on the PC either - so maybe that's why they made a new formlist for it.

Antistar01 fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 21, 2015

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
With MoMod ghoul rampage and IWS maxed I gained like 4 levels clearing out the exterior Repconn ghouls with long barreled grenade rifle and A Light Shining in the Dark to finish off wounded fuckers who would not stop getting back up.

Having a hell of a time with the interior, think Im gonna have to get a gatling laser or a browning M2HB and some power armor and go full Space Hulk in there.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 21, 2015

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Ah. Just something I came across while attempting to figure out the Minigun noises, which I finally got working. Have a look-see.

Also, I saw someone using this thing for making your wasteland dreamgirl into a ~special Attack on Titan waifu~ :swoon: no, just no

bonus:

the mod maker posted:

NOTE
=====
To all members of the NEXUS, I have something I must inform.
First I must say that I am Korean, South.
During the past month, I dedicated a lot of my time in creating this mod.
The costume in this mod has its origin from a character that appears
in a Japanese comic and animation named "Attack on Titan"
However, via his SNS (Twitter), the author of the comic praised the Japanese invasion
of Korea and that he views the invasion and plunder beneficial to Korea.
Also, I found out that one of the characters in the comic was motivated from a real
Japanese general who dealt great damage to Korea during the colonization.
As a Korean, I cannot ignore these comments and acts made by the author.
Therefore, I have decided to quit creating related mods
I am deeply sorry to all those who have been waiting for my mods but I hope and
believe you will understand my situation.
With the hope of more people getting to know about Korea’s history, I promise that I will
return with other mods in the near future.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Missing Name posted:

Ah. Just something I came across while attempting to figure out the Minigun noises, which I finally got working. Have a look-see.

Hell, I say leave the minigun as is, you got it pretty much spot on.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Missing Name posted:

Neato. :allears:

Missing Name posted:

Also, I saw someone using this thing for making your wasteland dreamgirl into a ~special Attack on Titan waifu~ :swoon: no, just no

bonus:

drat you, we have a seperate thread for that sort of thing! :arghfist::barf: the eyes, the dead empty eyes

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
How stable/reliable is Tale of Two Wastelands?

I was thinking about picking up Fallout 3 GOTY when it goes on sale, but I've heard that it has issues on quad-core CPUs and that you have to set to use a single core. However, I just recently found out about TTW, so not only was I interested in playing the F3 campaign with the New Vegas engine, I thought that the mod would also work as alternative to circumventing the compatibility issues.

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

I started New Vegas with all the add-ons enabled which gave me some decent gear to start, but I think it made the start too easy?

I'm almost level 17 around The Strip at the moment and compared to Fallout 3 I am just mowing through everything finding ammo everywhere. I guess going to level 50 now they sped the start up somewhat?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

How stable/reliable is Tale of Two Wastelands?

I was thinking about picking up Fallout 3 GOTY when it goes on sale, but I've heard that it has issues on quad-core CPUs and that you have to set to use a single core. However, I just recently found out about TTW, so not only was I interested in playing the F3 campaign with the New Vegas engine, I thought that the mod would also work as alternative to circumventing the compatibility issues.

It's reliable but sadly subject to feature bloat recently and because the games have different artistic direction, graphical mods tend to clash a bit with either Fallout 3 or New Vegas.
Also Fallout 3 can run well on dual cores, it just shits the bed with quad cores or more so you have to tell the game to only use two cores.

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007
Any mods you guys would recommend to make a Legion playthrough more interesting?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Greaseman posted:

Any mods you guys would recommend to make a Legion playthrough more interesting?

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/45557/

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/51983/

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It's reliable but sadly subject to feature bloat recently and because the games have different artistic direction, graphical mods tend to clash a bit with either Fallout 3 or New Vegas.
Also Fallout 3 can run well on dual cores, it just shits the bed with quad cores or more so you have to tell the game to only use two cores.

I saw this mentioned a page or two back. What kind of feature bloat is there? Somebody mentioned how inconvenient is to travel between both games, and the unnecessary decoration, but is there more?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

I saw this mentioned a page or two back. What kind of feature bloat is there? Somebody mentioned how inconvenient is to travel between both games, and the unnecessary decoration, but is there more?

It tries to add new items in both wastelands that really aren't necessary under the pretense of ~lore~ reasons, on top of the terrible new quest it added where you have to clear out a train station before you can travel back and forth between DC and the Mojave. Then as I mentioned before, New Vegas and Fallout 3's graphical styles clash somewhat due to the huge differences in climate. Mods that improve the outdoor lighting and weather can look great in one wasteland and awful in the other.

There is actually a TTW Optional ESP that toggles or changes some things but the new items and the whole train station deal should be an option in that ESP rather than mandatory for the main file.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Worth mentioning that the TTW site has a bunch of mod conversions - especially the weather ones. Vurt's flora overhaul is sweet because you can get the forested version in DC with the dead version in the Mojave, which is the best combination.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Oh my godddd. I shutdown my computer and now the 4gb patch isn't recognizing nvse again. I've tried archive invalidation.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Cloud the Cat posted:

Super late reply, but here's the general New Vegas thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3439576

Mosnar
Apr 21, 2007
Dropping Heavy Things From High Places, LLC

PrinceRandom posted:

Oh my godddd. I shutdown my computer and now the 4gb patch isn't recognizing nvse again. I've tried archive invalidation.

Are you running Windows 8.1 perchance?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Mosnar posted:

Are you running Windows 8.1 perchance?

No 7

Mosnar
Apr 21, 2007
Dropping Heavy Things From High Places, LLC

hmph. May or may not be applicable, then.
http://ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

Alternatively:
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...s-aware.112556/

I had to patch both NVSE_loader.exe and FalloutNV.exe for it to work properly.

Your M may of course V.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Please help me goons. I have two problems with the game that I wish to fix, and I turn to modding.

1) Hats. I want a specific style hat for one of my characters. I'm going for a 'dark mysterious guy' look, similar to Jonah Hex or the Dark Tower Gunslinger. None of the hats currently fit the bill. I guess what I'm looking for is a sherrif's hat/cowboy hat that doesn't have the brim curled up on the sides, and if possible might actually have it dip down a bit in the front. Browsing for a specific hat on Nexus is next to impossible and all the big hat compilations I've found have turned up nothing.

2) Trenchcoat. Looking for a long, dark trenchcoat for the same character. Once again, looking for a specific style on Nexus has been challenging. I've yet to find quite what I want. Hoping someone here might ahve an idea.

ALSO

I'm trying to figure out weapons. Guns feel lackluster and boring compared to Energy Weapons but I ALWAYS use energy weapons and I want to try guns. How can I make guns more interesting to use?

khy fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 23, 2015

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

khy posted:

Please help me goons. I have two problems with the game that I wish to fix, and I turn to modding.

1) Hats. I want a specific style hat for one of my characters. I'm going for a 'dark mysterious guy' look, similar to Jonah Hex or the Dark Tower Gunslinger. None of the hats currently fit the bill. I guess what I'm looking for is a sherrif's hat/cowboy hat that doesn't have the brim curled up on the sides, and if possible might actually have it dip down a bit in the front. Browsing for a specific hat on Nexus is next to impossible and all the big hat compilations I've found have turned up nothing.

2) Trenchcoat. Looking for a long, dark trenchcoat for the same character. Once again, looking for a specific style on Nexus has been challenging. I've yet to find quite what I want. Hoping someone here might ahve an idea.

ALSO

I'm trying to figure out weapons. Guns feel lackluster and boring compared to Energy Weapons but I ALWAYS use energy weapons and I want to try guns. How can I make guns more interesting to use?

Do you want to become Chakan?

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Would Zodium's visual mods in the OPs conflict with Project Nevada? PN sounds like awesome fun but I'd love the game to look awesome at the same time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

The hat is MUCH closer to what I want, but still a bit... tall. Stylistically that's almost perfect. The trenchcoat will probably work perfectly.

Got a hat similar to that but shorter? Being that tall almost makes me think 'Thanksgiving pilgrim attire'.