Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
It's not their fault everyone else is constantly doing things wrong, everywhere, all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HB 4105 died in the House last night. Cecil Bell, who by the way looks exactly like what you think he looks like, said that he's going to try to amend it onto some bill but literally everyone who has a bill die says that. Because it was put on the calendar where it was and the bill itself wasn't filed until literally the last day that you could file bills, I think it's pretty clear that House leadership doesn't think anti-gay marriage legislation is a priority so I'd be pretty surprised if it came up again. Probably the only anti-LGBT marriage bill that's going to pass this session is one that clarifies that you can't sue a pastor for not marrying a same sex couple, which pretty much everyone is ok with.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Straight up cut highway funding if Abbot signs that SCOTUS bill, which would come well after the ruling, knowing this poo poo house.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nonsense posted:

Straight up cut highway funding if Abbot signs that SCOTUS bill, which would come well after the ruling, knowing this poo poo house.

what SCOTUS bill?

Also the session ends June 1 bro.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

zoux posted:

what SCOTUS bill?

Also the session ends June 1 bro.

The one telling state municipalities to not follow the gay marriage ruling. I thought it ended at the end of June, that changes everything. It will probably just lead to a clerk complaining they were prevented from working effectively and the law is ignored.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

zoux posted:

So tonight is the House deadline for [procedural stuff that you don't care about anyway] that means that midnight tonight is the last day for House Bills to get passed. There are 71 bills on the calendar before the anti-gay marriage bills so the House D's are chubbing like crazy. Tune into the stream and watch the circus: http://txlege.texastribune.org/livestream/

Did anyone get to watch this? I wanted to but some other stuff came up and I missed it. Any highlights other than that bill dying?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nonsense posted:

The one telling state municipalities to not follow the gay marriage ruling. I thought it ended at the end of June, that changes everything. It will probably just lead to a clerk complaining they were prevented from working effectively and the law is ignored.

I just said that bill died.

karlor posted:

Did anyone get to watch this? I wanted to but some other stuff came up and I missed it. Any highlights other than that bill dying?

I did, it was pretty uneventful. They still had 29 bills to go before they got to the gay marriage one. The House started to get pretty rowdy towards the end of the night, but that's standard for a deadline night. They passed a pretty key education bill that rates individual campuses A-F that superintendents hate.

Honestly I'm growing more and more concerned about the cozy relationship between the press corps and some members of the Governor's administration.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Well I'm glad I watched the Rockets game, then.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Any idea if that abortion ID bill has a chance in the Senate? I understand it passed the House, and the no-insurance-coverage-for-abortion bill passed the Senate. Even loving private insurance, so I guess even the holy free market must bow down to the wishes of these zealots.

It's only a matter of time before they make it illegal to connect an abortion facility to a public road, or make it illegal for cities to supply municipal services like water or power.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The House is about to take up SB 2065, which is a fairly innocuous "You can't sue pastors for refusing to gay marry people" which no one wants anyway. The important thing is there is a lot of buzz speculating that Cecil Bell is going to try to amend his anti-gay marriage bill that died on deadline last week. I'm fairly certain it will get point of ordered and even if it doesn't, the Senate sponsor has promised to strip House amendments off, but if you're interested in a proxy debate about gay marriage, here you go.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

zoux posted:

The House is about to take up SB 2065, which is a fairly innocuous "You can't sue pastors for refusing to gay marry people" which no one wants anyway. The important thing is there is a lot of buzz speculating that Cecil Bell is going to try to amend his anti-gay marriage bill that died on deadline last week. I'm fairly certain it will get point of ordered and even if it doesn't, the Senate sponsor has promised to strip House amendments off, but if you're interested in a proxy debate about gay marriage, here you go.

It never ceases to amaze me how we have such a short window of time to try and get poo poo done and the House and Senate waste so much drat time on crap like this. Makes me wish that somehow the Texas Tribune was in some way the only news source Texans could access so they'd have no choice but to pay attention as to what goes on there.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Jiro posted:

It never ceases to amaze me how we have such a short window of time to try and get poo poo done and the House and Senate waste so much drat time on crap like this. Makes me wish that somehow the Texas Tribune was in some way the only news source Texans could access so they'd have no choice but to pay attention as to what goes on there.

The Texas Tribune is probably one of the best things to happen in the American press in the last few decades. If only every state had one.

The Texas Miracle, right there.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bell didn't offer an amendment, the Religious Freedom bill is dead for the session.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Not sure if this has been linked yet: http://arstechnica.com/cars/2015/05/bill-to-allow-tesla-to-sell-cars-in-texas-dies-in-committee/

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
So which is worse - the centralization of money and power in automakers, or the local fiefdoms that car dealerships hold?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't really care, it seems like a rich people problem to me.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

zoux posted:

I don't really care, it seems like a rich people problem to me.

It's a rich people problem, until it isn't.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

OK, I'll worry about it then.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

computer parts posted:

So which is worse - the centralization of money and power in automakers, or the local fiefdoms that car dealerships hold?

Neither is great but I'd rather at least uniformity in my getting hosed over than having to roll the dice on the dudes near me.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

College Slice
Wouldn't price collusion by the automakers already be illegal under other laws?

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx
Open Carry Debate is going bananas in the Senate, because two urban democrats decided to side with the crazy since it might make a tiny dent in racial profiling.

http://www.texastribune.org/2015/05/22/dutton-amendment-roils-senate/

quote:

A move by state Sen. Don Huffines, R-Dallas, to put a controversial provision back into open carry legislation threw the Texas Senate into a tense debate Friday that ended only when all sides agreed let the argument rest until later in the day.

The chamber plunged into rare unscripted territory after Huffines offered an amendment to a bill allowing Texans with licenses to carry handguns openly. The measure, approved overwhelmingly when the House passed the open carry bill, would prohibit police officers from stopping someone solely because they are visibly carrying a handgun. It was taken out when the legislation reached the Senate.

An expected routine debate on passing the bill escalated dramatically when an unusual alliance formed between two urban Democrats and conservative Republicans who supported the amendment for different reasons.

Conservatives, including Huffines, argued that the language was necessary to protect the Fourth Amendment rights of handgun license holders who could be subject to harassment from police officers.

Democrats Rodney Ellis of Houston and Royce West of Dallas threw their support behind Huffines, saying that — while they oppose open carry itself — with the bill all but certain to pass they want protection from racial profiling by police.

A previous version of the open carry measure cleared the state Senate along party lines in March, but the chamber is now working with the House version of the bill.

Sen. Craig Estes, the Wichita Falls Republican sponsoring the bill in the Senate, said the amendment would create unnecessary confusion for law enforcement — and that he believed existing law already prevented law enforcement from asking people for proof that they have a license without some other suspicion. Estes said he ultimately planned to vote against the amendment, but would accept the will of the chamber.

Several other Republicans, including Robert Nichols of Jacksonville and Joan Huffman of Houston, said they viewed the amendment as back door effort to repeal handgun licensing requirements altogether.

Huffman said she thought the provision was a “poison pill” for the legislation, echoing Estes in saying it would threaten overall support for the bill.

“I want to go on record saying this is a mistake. This is bad for Texas,” she said.

The fiercest opposition to the amendment came from Sen. John Whitmire, the Houston Democrat who chairs the Criminal Justice Committee.

Whitmire called the measure “a game-changer” that would endanger the lives of police officers.

He repeatedly questioned Huffines about whether he had thought through the consequences for law enforcement — urging the Republican to pull the amendment down to allow time for further discussion.

“What if you are wrong, Senator Huffines? Do you ever doubt yourself that police officers know more about public safety than you do?” Whitmire asked his colleague. “Do you ever worry that your amendment is going to cost police officers their lives?”

Huffines responded that he had “confidence that they will exercise great discretion” when presented with dangerous situations.

After more than 90 minutes of debate on that amendment alone, Estes opted to temporarily pull the bill from consideration. The chamber will take the bill up again at 6 p.m. today.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
As a Texas Gun owner who is getting a CHL in a few months I think open carry is stupid.

Also I suspect that the guys supporting it to "end racial profiling" are just trolling and hoping it lessens support in conservative circles because of the gently caress BLACKS NO MATTER THE COST mentality of the Republican party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvW_zBvJlsA << what happens when minorities open carry.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Numlock posted:

As a Texas Gun owner who is getting a CHL in a few months I think open carry is stupid.

Also I suspect that the guys supporting it to "end racial profiling" are just trolling and hoping it lessens support in conservative circles because of the gently caress BLACKS NO MATTER THE COST mentality of the Republican party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvW_zBvJlsA << what happens when minorities open carry.

I'm pretty sure that's almost exactly what they're doing from the Republican response.

Democrats: "You know what, we'll jump on this bill and support y'all."

Republicans: *sounds of joy at the appeal of having bipartanship support for the latest NRA blowjob*

Democrats: "This will do wonders for racial profiling. Imagine how safe THE BLACKS will feel when a cop can't pin him down for carrying his own sidearm." :smug:

Republicans: "Whoa, slow down there a moment, what did you say?"

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
but guys, officer safety!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The D's that supported it think that the LEO groups are going to come down so hard on Abbott he'll veto the whole thing.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Good session, folks. This is the kind of excellence I expect from the 13th largest economy in the world.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
So Central Austin's pretty drat flooded right now.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009
So are portions of San Marcos and I-35. I think parts of San Antonio may have been as well.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

An Angry Bug posted:

So Central Austin's pretty drat flooded right now.

The journey home after work today, from Bee Caves/360 to Tarrytown, was...eventful. Getting across the river was a nightmare. Saw people on the side of the road due to vehicular problems at least three times, and an SUV spin out on Mopac northbound and land in the grassy median near Zilker. About a 100 yards further up he would have been on the bridge over town lake.

So glad I didn't have to go downtown.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Was hiding in the car with family from the tornado warning last night in the Whole Foods underground parking complex. Glad we didn't try that again today.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

An Angry Bug posted:

Was hiding in the car with family from the tornado warning last night in the Whole Foods underground parking complex. Glad we didn't try that again today.

Being in an underground parking lot at a time of heavy rain and flooding sounds... unwise.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Yup. Yet oddly the night we tried it had very little flooding. It's weird how different Sunday and Monday were, really.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

enraged_camel posted:

Being in an underground parking lot at a time of heavy rain and flooding sounds... unwise.

The fixed all the drainage on that corner when the Whole Foods building was built about a decade ago. (Also, the underground parking lot is two stories deep, so the whole first story would have needed to flood first.

That said, poo poo got crazy on Shoal Creek. https://www.facebook.com/ken.kuznia/videos/10206954777206696/

Also, to make this post politics-related: technically that drone video of the flooding is illegal, as you aren't allowed to shoot drone video of public places in Texas if anyone else is in the shot.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

College Slice

Svanja posted:

So are portions of San Marcos and I-35. I think parts of San Antonio may have been as well.

San Antonio got hit pretty bad. Lots of downed trees and the power outages/blocked roads that result from that. Fortunately the city has been installing larger storm drains whenever they repave a road, so that definitely helps with the flooding.

But still...

karlor fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 26, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

e_angst posted:

The fixed all the drainage on that corner when the Whole Foods building was built about a decade ago. (Also, the underground parking lot is two stories deep, so the whole first story would have needed to flood first.

That said, poo poo got crazy on Shoal Creek. https://www.facebook.com/ken.kuznia/videos/10206954777206696/

Also, to make this post politics-related: technically that drone video of the flooding is illegal, as you aren't allowed to shoot drone video of public places in Texas if anyone else is in the shot.

Here's the drone vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DmoS2Lab8Q

I was downtown all day until after dark, it was more or less fine.

Also today is the last day that the House can consider bills on second reading, which means that if a bill ain't passed today, it's dead. On the calendar are campus carry and a bill that would basically make it illegal for ACA exchange insurance plans to pay for abortions.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

karlor posted:

San Antonio got hit pretty bad. Lots of downed trees and the power outages/blocked roads that result from that. Fortunately the city has been installing larger storm drains whenever they repave a road, so that definitely helps with the flooding.

But still...

That's one tourist trap!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Campus carry and some additional "gently caress you" abortion restrictions have to pass the house tonight or they are dead. The Democrats are attempting to talk them to death by delaying bills earlier in the queue after they got some Republicans on board to block an attempt to move the bills up in the schedule.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

Campus carry and some additional "gently caress you" abortion restrictions have to pass the house tonight or they are dead. The Democrats are attempting to talk them to death by delaying bills earlier in the queue after they got some Republicans on board to block an attempt to move the bills up in the schedule.

Yeah they're dead. They've already filed 100+ amendments on campus carry, and they'd have to do that in three hours. The House couldn't wipe its own rear end in three hours.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
It's actually a 20 week abortion ban, when provably the fetus of a human feels pain, much like a dog if that makes it more relateble to you :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You're trolling, but SB 575 is a ban on abortion coverage on insurance purchased through the ACA. 20 week ban passed last session.

My prediction is that campus carry comes up abouuuut 11 pm tonight so if you have some time to kill and want to watch Republican tears tune into the House around then.

Whoops I'm wrong it's up now.

zoux fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 27, 2015