Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

stiknork posted:

Thanks! I gotta say reading this thread makes me super happy every day.

How about that OP, eh? Eh???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I am about to put 3 Cloaking Rig IIIs and a Holocircuit Overloader on Archive Nika, who already has a Torque Injector, in addition to her Discharge Re-router. :getin:

stiknork
Aug 3, 2006

Gyshall posted:

How about that OP, eh? Eh???

Best OP

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Is there a way to make a noise in place? Like yelling or something? I know there are items for it and I can sprint around to do it, but I was hoping for something like, I dunno, stomping quickly in place, or shouting.

I have a Xu with two shock traps ready to go :madmax:

Also fantastic game stiknork! I think of all the strategy games I've played it definitely is the most innovative and intelligent!

Teslavi
May 28, 2006
Ridiculous.
Ping program is a good way. I haven't tried them personally, but the holo cover items say they produce sound. The ability to distract is a little too good, which I imagine is why sprinting doesn't allow you to cancel mid sprint.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Do gun drones only have 1 bullet, or only one bullet that you're allowed to use? Tried to re-hack a drone and no prompt was coming up to shoot things. Does this mean he's essentially a walking camera after I use the bullet, or is he still a threat?

I had an insanely fun mission with the corp that uses bots a lot; turns out that while Nikka with a flurry gun is good, Nikka who buys multiple flurry guns can totally depopulate the level. I'm sure if I played it out a little different I could have killed literally every major threat leaving only camera drones alive, wow.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Well, I succeeded my first 2 games on Experienced, so I guess I should probably play on Expert. Currently trying Faust + Brimstone + Central, with Shalem along for the ride, though Nika or Prism probably would have been better.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I had an insanely tense Vault mission that very quickly went rear end-up due to every single rear end in a top hat in the level being one of those hacker dickheads who turns into a daemon while unconscious. Everything was constantly rebooting and full of loving daemons and in the end I had Nika and Internationale babysitting half a dozen unconscious guys in the one corner not covered in goddamn cameras while Decker robbed the vault and an elite enforcer zeroed in on the three of them. I bailed just before the level 6 alarm, having plundered everything and robbed everyone except the enforcer. It was intense as hell and while those hackers are HUGE ASSHOLES they certainly made it a very satisfying win.

The next mission was a cyber lab that my agents ghosted through without ever alerting a soul, go figure. That second Titanium Rods augment will serve Nika well :unsmigghh:

However, I did peek into another part of the facility and see an Akuma drone surrounded by no fewer than five null drones. Endless mode does not screw around even slightly on day 4+.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I just finished the Beginner level story and I was hoping that the game just cut me off at the cliffhanger because it wants me to do the full story in Experienced mode. Please tell me that the story doesn't really end there...

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Love Stole the Day posted:

I just finished the Beginner level story and I was hoping that the game just cut me off at the cliffhanger because it wants me to do the full story in Experienced mode. Please tell me that the story doesn't really end there...

I haven't beaten expert (could have..but messed up and forgot most people only get 1 attack per turn), but from what I heard yeah, that's the ending. Think of the story mode more like FTL. You get a few days to gear your guys up to do the last stand.

You can try endless mode, your agent won't be overpowered even with massive upgrades and all the item you could wish for. The missions on the latter days are hard as hell. I think I've just ran for the exit without even finding the mission objective for the third time now because how FUBAR every mission becomes...

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Broken Cog posted:

First legitimately impossible level I've run into.
Those laser beams are lethal, so you can't path through them, and the opening in the wall on the bottom left of the room is blocked by a console. The two rooms to the left are just the starting room and a connected one. No other rooms connected to them.

Seems the level generator isn't flawless, even if it is drat good.

run around to bring the guard to you, knock him out, drag body through beams to disable them.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I have learned that those bioreactor dart guns are ridiculously good and I need more of them. Infinite ammo, AP2 ranged stun? Yes please. The 7 turn cooldown is a bit steep, but I just got Decker some shiny new Torque Injectors and if I find him another infinite dart gun he'll be able to sling those things fairly frequently. I'm on Endless, so maybe I'll live long enough to accumulate four of them so he can sustainably dart people every turn like some sort of goofy cyberpunk noir techno-cowboy.

e: I love the fact that ShopCat's theme music is a blippy, glitchy remix of Django Style from Don't Starve. :allears:

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 20, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
ugh last mission of experienced, had everything on lockdown and slow-rear end monster got caught trying to get to the mainframe and couldn't quite get into the doorway safely

made a mistake of blowing the cloak one turn too early and I tried to throw every one of my team into the room to take the bullets but there were one too many guys

rip monster, my game

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Back to streaming this super dumb Archive Nika with three Cloaking Rigs: http://www.hitbox.tv/TastyLemonDrops

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
Not sure if it was mentioned (a quick search verified it may not have been) but does this game's art style remind anyone else of Transistor? Not that it's a bad thing -- it's a great thing. I couldn't help but notice.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I got myself a wireless scanner which is supposed to "passively scans for mainframe devices within range". However, doesn't Internationale already do this?

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Good stuff stik i hope you are living like a king

robostac
Sep 23, 2009

double nine posted:

I got myself a wireless scanner which is supposed to "passively scans for mainframe devices within range". However, doesn't Internationale already do this?

Yes, its just a worse version of internationales passive (doesn't let you hack at range). Can be nice if you didn't pick her though.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
I just beat the game on Expert!

I chose randomize at start and ended up with Sharp and Dr. Xu, with Seed and Lockpick as my programs.

Dr. Xu is probably the single most useful agent, opening safes regardless of firewall level or daemons is awesome. Sharp was great too, I only managed to get a couple extra Augs in him, but they were predictive brawling (+6 AP after an attack) and +1 armour piercing on melee attacks, so he turned into a KO beast. I pumped up his strength so he could run up, shock a guard and immediately drag them into cover with the AP from predictive brawling.

Snagged Banks early on from a detention center, her augment is great too. Really nice to be able to access the whole level without interacting with guards at all. Internationale joined the team late, but at that point I had a wireless scanner anyway. I pumped up her hacking so on the final level she pretty much just grabbed power and sat on a guard for nearly half the mission.

I picked up Lockpick 2.0 and Wisp (the tagging one) as my only programs throughout the game. Worked surprisingly well as long as I planned things out properly. I only ran into power issues once, but it was right at the end of the mission and didn't end up mattering at all.

Here's the layout of the final mission. Annoying having the security hub and mainframe on opposite sides of the level! Luckily since the guard spawners were ALSO far from the hub I had plenty of time to hack with Monst3r without having to worry about security. Plus most of the guards ended up wandering around in the long middle room, letting me sneak through the top of the map.

It did get pretty hairy near the end with a 3 armour guy I had no way of dealing with wandering around right near the mainframe. Lots of sneaking around behind those glowy yellow boxes.

SomeIdiot
Apr 2, 2014

NT Plus posted:

Not sure if it was mentioned (a quick search verified it may not have been) but does this game's art style remind anyone else of Transistor? Not that it's a bad thing -- it's a great thing. I couldn't help but notice.

Certainly, yeah.
But that's more to do with both games being in cyber-punk settings with an isometric view than anything else. They actually kinda have fairly different styles if you look past that.
Transistor has a much brighter and more detailed style(with some art deco influences), while Invisible Inc is more reliant on hard shadows, simplified colors and stylized characters, which kinda gives it a bit more of a noir feel.

Both games have really great art, though! I probably prefer Invisible Inc's art. Uh... totally not just saying that because Stik's here. :shobon:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Sharp is a monster, I can't not use him.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I got this game on the strength of the 3MA podcast and it's so good. I ended up doing a 6 hour stretch after installation.

More than anything else, I love it for the feeling of tension it can evoke. It captures the whole squirm-in-your-seat experience from XCOM's Hidden Movement whenever you hit the End Turn button as a mission just goes tits up.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Can I just double check - the 'time limit' for selecting missions doesn't matter for the penultimate mission, right? Like if I'm on the last hour of the last day, I can go pick a 12 hour mission?

Dav
Nov 6, 2009

Fangz posted:

Can I just double check - the 'time limit' for selecting missions doesn't matter for the penultimate mission, right? Like if I'm on the last hour of the last day, I can go pick a 12 hour mission?

Right. Pick whatever you want at that point.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Stik, do you know if it's intended that I get +12 power every so often from Archive Internationale at Alarm 6? I know you get the +12 power immediately upon reaching 6, but sometimes I just get another +12 out of the blue.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I wonder if it's still internally ticking through after Alarm 6 is reached and the display no longer updates.

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots
I beat this on Beginner for the first time last night, and felt super accomplished. Now I guess I need to do one of the real difficulties. For beginner, I had everyone kitted out with the 2nd level of Cloaking Tech and stealthed everywhere. Plus Banks had the custom Paralyzer, and Level 3 paralyzer.

I can't figure out how Robots work for the life of me though. What determines their pathing? I've had a few just pop up on me without any warning.

GOTY btw.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Robots are basically deaf guards. They can patrol like them if left undisturbed or stay stationary staring at walls. When they're on alert they'll buzz around investigating rooms and scanning them for targets, like how some guards can throw scanning grenades except centered around themselves.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Flash Grenades are fantastic. Just finished the game on Experienced with a horrific final layout that had the guard spawner next to a giant central room which connected to the security hub, so I had the entirety of the enemy forces in the same 3 rooms and somehow got out thanks to a Cloaking Rig, a flash grenade, and Dr. Xu walking up to a 12 firewall Omni Guard and disabling him so Central could walk up and club him in the head. my hands are still shaking, that was insanely tense.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Finally got a good experienced game rolling. I just started the 6th mission with:

- on file Decker: 4 speed, 4 strength, the +6ap on KO aug
- on file Internationale: 4 speed, 2 EMPs
- on file Shalem: 2 bioregen darts, 2 breaker II's

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
question, how many squares away does an enemy need to be to see you around a corner? This is hard to explain without pictures but if you're hiding on the south side of a cube and the guard is standing next to an adjacent face, he can't see you. If he's one additional square east/west, he still can't see you. At some point he'll be able to see you because of the angle. What's the breakpoint?

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

jsr v2.0 posted:

I beat this on Beginner for the first time last night, and felt super accomplished. Now I guess I need to do one of the real difficulties.GOTY btw.

Even Expert is just training mode for Expert Plus. Definitely one of my GotY too.

EDIT:
Oh come on!

TastyLemonDrops fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 21, 2015

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bhodi posted:

question, how many squares away does an enemy need to be to see you around a corner? This is hard to explain without pictures but if you're hiding on the south side of a cube and the guard is standing next to an adjacent face, he can't see you. If he's one additional square east/west, he still can't see you. At some point he'll be able to see you because of the angle. What's the breakpoint?

hold down alt

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

That doesn't help as you can't move the guard around to see how his gaze is affected by terrain, which is what he's asking.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Did anybody look at the patch notes that just went up? This caught my attention:

quote:

Xu can disable heart monitors
. Truly the most broken agent.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Another promising ironman Expert Plus run dead because I just forgot to take a turn and pressed next. It's me, I'm the reason why you have to click through six "are you sure you want to do this, idiot?" messages on everything ever made. :doh:

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

jsr v2.0 posted:

I beat this on Beginner for the first time last night, and felt super accomplished. Now I guess I need to do one of the real difficulties. For beginner, I had everyone kitted out with the 2nd level of Cloaking Tech and stealthed everywhere. Plus Banks had the custom Paralyzer, and Level 3 paralyzer.

I can't figure out how Robots work for the life of me though. What determines their pathing? I've had a few just pop up on me without any warning.

GOTY btw.

I finished Beginner a few days ago and I did it a very different way. It's one of the good things about this game.

I disagree with the GOTY claim, though, because the story is incredibly short and ends on a cliffhanger. I was expecting that if I played it on Experienced or whatever, then it would let me get past the cliffhanger and continue the story. I was disappointed :smith:.

Games like Xenonauts have a longer story with more variety in items (I was expecting a Torchlight variety of items in this game but maybe I was just misinformed), and while it's a 10/10 in art, sound, and gameplay... the story is unfinished and short, while the characters are have no depth. If the characters had voice lines when you selected them like in RTS games, for example, it would add a lot more personality to the characters and make them more interesting.

I compare it to what Yahtzee said in his review of Team Fortress 2: there isn't that much there... but what they do have has been polished to a near mirror level of shine.

I give the game 8/10.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Serephina posted:

That doesn't help as you can't move the guard around to see how his gaze is affected by terrain, which is what he's asking.

I think cover blocks all sight until they're actually in line with you.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...

Love Stole the Day posted:

I finished Beginner a few days ago and I did it a very different way. It's one of the good things about this game.

I disagree with the GOTY claim, though, because the story is incredibly short and ends on a cliffhanger. I was expecting that if I played it on Experienced or whatever, then it would let me get past the cliffhanger and continue the story. I was disappointed :smith:.

Games like Xenonauts have a longer story with more variety in items (I was expecting a Torchlight variety of items in this game but maybe I was just misinformed), and while it's a 10/10 in art, sound, and gameplay... the story is unfinished and short, while the characters are have no depth. If the characters had voice lines when you selected them like in RTS games, for example, it would add a lot more personality to the characters and make them more interesting..

I would love an XCom length campaign for this game. Let me have a stable of agents to choose from, even if I can only take 4 on a mission.

The ending certainly seems abrupt. There's not really enough lead up or character development to make the impact I think they were going for. But that's really secondary for me. I enjoyed the story for what it was the first time around, and have pretty much ignored it on subsequent playthroughs.

I don't know though, the game is short and sweet, sure. But it's super polished and playing through again doesn't feel the same because of the variety in missions and agents. The campaign ramps up in difficulty and complexity really nicely. I'm not sure if it would work as well stretched out over a longer game. Has anyone messed around with Endless mode much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Endless Mode starts to go completely loving maliciously nuts after day 5 or so. It's not "play forever" mode so much as "survive against increasingly brutal odds" mode. It's pretty great, but I don't think it's really intended to be a long-term campaign thing as much as a rapidly intensifying endurance challenge.

• Locked thread