Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BisterdDave posted:

I was thinking the same thing, but then isn't the whole franchise built around cops chasing you in some sort of way? I never played any of the Underground games so I don't know if anything like that was in there though.

I think the cops were added in Need for Speed 3, and then that's pretty much better its signature thing ever since. Porsche Unleashed, and the Shift games didn't have cops though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Burnout 2 was the best Burnout and Paradise was the best EA Burnout :colbert:

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop
Cops were in the first NfS.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The original Hot Pursuit was probably the best NFS I played.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
The Witcher is really good. I think I finally understand how people who actually liked Skyrim felt when they played Skyrim

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

MZ posted:

Most inevitable DLC ever, guess we'll see something at E3? Bloodborne was excellent but I never want to see another Chalice Dungeon again :negative:

Yeah, I've reached the point where the only content left to do is the ridiculously hard optional content so an influx of something new and reasonably surmountable would be nice.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Does anyone know if it's possible to get a ps4 less than launch price yet, or if it's likely we'll see a drop any time soon?

Thinking about picking one up very soon but i dont keep up with price cycles and what usually happens.
E: just saw someone asked the very same question on the last page. wait till e3 it is!

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 21, 2015

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
excuse all of you but burnout 3 crash mode has me wondering why you all want paradise so much.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I said come in! posted:

Please don't have cop chases. That poo poo is so stupid. Basically though there's no need for Need for Speed anymore, DriveClub is everything NFS should have been.

Cop chases GTA style are stupid in a racing game, but the original cops vs robbers mode in the super old school Need for speed games where one person would be a cop and the other the racer was fun as hell.

Edit: Oh poo poo I just realized I wasn't thinking of NFS at all, but Test Drive 6. Hah. Welp gently caress NFS then.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Dr Sun Try posted:

Cops were in the first NfS.

You mean Road & Track Presents: The Needs for Speed??

Also I don't remember cops being in that game at all, nor do I remember them in the first Underground but maybe that's just my memory.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.

SectumSempra posted:

excuse all of you but burnout 3 crash mode has me wondering why you all want paradise so much.

The answer is obviously that we want a Burnout Paradise sequel with crash mode.

The fact that EA keeps pumping out new Need for Speeds instead of Burnouts is just baffling. Don't think I have enjoyed a NFS game since Porsche 2000 and I generally see very few people excited about new games in the series, yet they still have made about a million of them.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV I played mostly on 360 last generation. I tried Shift 2 but didn't see any reason to keep playing that instead of Forza, which was just better in pretty much every way.

Follow That Fish! fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 21, 2015

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
The new Hot Pursuit and Shift 2 were legit good Need for Speed games. Other than that I can't think of any even a little bit recent ones I enjoyed.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Burnout Revenge is still my favorite, and I don't' care what anyone thinks.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Yodzilla posted:

The new Hot Pursuit and Shift 2 were legit good Need for Speed games. Other than that I can't think of any even a little bit recent ones I enjoyed.

Didn't Criterion work on those? Paradise 2 with crash mode and real cars would be the best thing.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.

Athenry posted:

Didn't Criterion work on those? Paradise 2 with crash mode and real cars would be the best thing.

Nah, Shift 2 was made by Slightly Mad, which then proceeded to go even deeper the sim route and developed Project CARS.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Athenry posted:

The Criterion Most Wanted is the closest you're ever gonna get to Paradise 2.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

nate fisher posted:

Burnout Revenge is still my favorite, and I don't' care what anyone thinks.

Revenge was good but the crash mode was way better in 3.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

Yodzilla posted:

You mean Road & Track Presents: The Needs for Speed??

Also I don't remember cops being in that game at all, nor do I remember them in the first Underground but maybe that's just my memory.

It's your memory; Cops chasing you was always part of NfS - although I don't know when you were allowed to play as the cops.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

homeless snail posted:

The Criterion Most Wanted is the closest you're ever gonna get to Paradise 2.

And it was kinda bad. :saddowns:

SectumSempra posted:

Revenge was good but the crash mode was way better in 3.

This is true. I really enjoyed the simplicity of crash mode in 2 as well but that could easily be done with game settings. Revenge was fun but it wasn't as good of an actual racing game as 3.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Athenry posted:

The problem is that car companies aren't too fond of games showing their cars all smashed up.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

muscles like this? posted:

The problem is that car companies aren't too fond of games showing their cars all smashed up.

they'd probably be fine with it if they made a point of showing how not injured the driver is due to safety features or whatever.
i swear i've seen car commericals that have a crash test laboratory as a setting.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Showing how safe your car is through crash test footage is a bit different than plowing it into oncoming traffic.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dr Sun Try posted:

It's your memory; Cops chasing you was always part of NfS - although I don't know when you were allowed to play as the cops.

Are you really really sure? I don't think the earliest ones actually did.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I don't think it was until the PSX ones

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yodzilla posted:

Showing how safe your car is through crash test footage is a bit different than plowing it into oncoming traffic.

yeah but then the camera goes in close and all the drivers are smiling and say "thank god for these side airbags and crumple zones"

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

Car companies have a hard time marketing to being with, and games are escaping reality.
how many gamers do you think went out and purchased that ferrari?

I think people just want to drive pretty cars, and if they're pretty enough it's more of a feature.

Like if being perceived in like GT5 I'd want my car to look great to a driving enthusiast, burnout, eh, as long as my logo is on the sidelines, its all good.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Real hurthling! posted:

yeah but then the camera goes in close and all the drivers are smiling and say "thank god for these side airbags and crumple zones"

Funnily enough, fake safety videos and ads were how they marketed Burnout 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohfoirB7ugk

Goddamn what a great game. Burnout 1 was so goddamn boring and bland but 2 owned.

Zaphod42 posted:

echronorian posted:

Wow yeah cops really were there since the beginning (9:30)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2CE_0WSt68&t=570s

EA was all about gently caress the police back in the day.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

Zaphod42 posted:

echronorian posted:

I assume the PS1 and PC versions are functionally identical to the 3DO one.
Wikipedias (admittedly very short) article mentions no differences:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Need_for_Speed

Or was there another earlier game?

edit^^^^there we go

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Yodzilla posted:

Wow yeah cops really were there since the beginning (9:30)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2CE_0WSt68&t=570s

EA was all about gently caress the police back in the day.

I hope that footage was recorded prior to the 1 day patch!

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Retorts saying Project Morpheus is coming before next summer, beating the rift to the gate.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

cubicle gangster posted:

Does anyone know if it's possible to get a ps4 less than launch price yet, or if it's likely we'll see a drop any time soon?

Thinking about picking one up very soon but i dont keep up with price cycles and what usually happens.
E: just saw someone asked the very same question on the last page. wait till e3 it is!

There's always sales and bundles monitor slickdeals.net

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

echronorian posted:

Retorts saying Project Morpheus is coming before next summer, beating the rift to the gate.

Figured as soon as Oculus started getting serious about release specs and dates that everybody else would feel the pressure and rush to beat em or match em.

On the one hand Oculus has squandered their early lead, but on the other hand they avoided pushing VR prematurely and look like they'll be hitting the ground running.

I'm excited that VR is happening no matter who ends up "winning", and there's probably room for some competitors in the market.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I've yet to really feel like VR won't be the next 3D. Maybe I'll be surprised but it seems like a lot of people rushing for a fad that we're not really ready to support yet.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

ImpAtom posted:

I've yet to really feel like VR won't be the next 3D. Maybe I'll be surprised but it seems like a lot of people rushing for a fad that we're not really ready to support yet.

Yeah, I have one of the dev Rifts, and good lord, the thing is a recipe for instant motion sickness. Now, I know newer versions are supposed to work on that, but I do feel like there's gonna be some sort of rude awakening when people think they can just plug it in and jump right into a game of hectic FPS action, and end up reaching for the dramamine.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

vr makes you essentially blind, deaf, and disoriented and seems like a real loving hassle once the magic becomes mundane. like it already takes me a while to muster the energy to get into a game when i get home.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I used a Rift the other day and while it was really neat I can't see myself buying one for frequent home use. I'm not so far into video games that I'd literally strap myself into one to the point that it takes time and effort to disengage.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Counterpoint
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-9Bd0kkeaU&t=50s

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

That's exactly why Oculus didn't release 3 years ago when they could have taken the market by storm and had a monopoly. Because we weren't there yet.

But as somebody with a DK2, I can tell you that the software (the part missing right now) is getting better every day, and I do actually believe it'll be in a consumer-ready level by about the time of the release of these mainstream HMDs.

Also I've been playing Elite and War Thunder in VR for like a year now, so its definitely possible and amazing. But the software needs to get smoother, but it is.

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, I have one of the dev Rifts, and good lord, the thing is a recipe for instant motion sickness. Now, I know newer versions are supposed to work on that, but I do feel like there's gonna be some sort of rude awakening when people think they can just plug it in and jump right into a game of hectic FPS action, and end up reaching for the dramamine.

Is it a DK1? You couldn't make me use one of those again.

The DK2 is a million times better than the DK1 and the Crystal Cove prototype is a million times better than DK2 and the consumer version is even better than Crystal Cove.

Its light years ahead, don't judge it by the DK1 with its lack of positional tracking completely (what is making you sick).

With the 90fps benchmark Oculus has set and with the motion tracking that DK2 already has, there will be no motion sickness at all.

Real hurthling! posted:

vr makes you essentially blind, deaf, and disoriented and seems like a real loving hassle once the magic becomes mundane. like it already takes me a while to muster the energy to get into a game when i get home.

Yeah but can you imagine actually throwing grenades smoothly using your hands in an FPS? Waving your arms around in physical space to smash things or shoot guns or lob grenades exactly in the arc you want, rather than using some canned animation or having to time how long you hold down a button or something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RehCTRrWM0

Its worth the hassle. Its SO loving crazy.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 21, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Here's a video I made a long time ago playing HL2 on the PC in VR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ChUFeWn1FI

You get a level of accuracy and control that is unlike anything in any FPS ever. Its just a whole new thing.

Shooting with a mouse is completely different than shooting in VR. I dont' even use the ironsights, I'm popping off headshots just by the feel of my arm. Its craaaaazy.

See how the crowbar smoothly follows my arm however I wave it? That poo poo is something you can't get anywhere else, any way else. Once you've had it you want more. Its no gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

VR seems like it would be real cool for driving/flying/space games but bad for FPS ones.

• Locked thread