Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Blazing Ownager posted:

If a script writer came up to me after 10 years and told me "Hey I have a great idea, next season your character will have A SECRET!" I'd probably be exhausted too.

Usually "exhaustion" is Hollywood PR speak for "going to rehab" or "has a horrible disease."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kimmalah posted:

Usually "exhaustion" is Hollywood PR speak for "going to rehab" or "has a horrible disease."

Which is fair enough. Celebrities don't owe us their complete medical files.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Poor dude. Maybe ending the show would be what's best for him....

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Kimmalah posted:

Dudes got legit depression, I wouldn't be surprised if he's on an actual downswing & needs to retreat from the world for a while. Shooting starts in July I hope he's okay by then, for his sake.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kimmalah posted:

From what's been said around here, this might actually legitimately mean what it says it does, though I could buy some horrible disease or something that's not being said.

That is kind of strange to think that a particular excuse has been used so many times as code in an industry that it's impossible to actually declare said excuse even when you're absolutely serious. It's like a bad joke in a movie where a foreigner says they are going to <fill in euphemism here> and everyone laughs though they're just being serious.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Spoeank posted:

Dudes got legit depression, I wouldn't be surprised if he's on an actual downswing & needs to retreat from the world for a while. Shooting starts in July I hope he's okay by then, for his sake.

I'm guessing this, yeah. Especially given he apparently told a fan he was having a moment like the ones that had inspired his 'Always Keep Fighting' campaign. You know, the one telling suicidal people to not give up....

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Did Dean just kill Death? The gently caress?

edit: Oh, no big deal, they just broke the universe.

Darko fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 21, 2015

Tugboat Willy
Jun 9, 2004

I didn't think Death could be killed. :eyepop:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Welp, that's sure raising the stakes for a big bad. Next Dean has to kill God.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
:stare:

I'm... they... he.... gently caress.

Gonna take a bit to digest this one.

:stare:

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.
Oh my god next season Dean and Sam need to spring Mike and Lucy to save the world. Lucifer should be free from the taint now.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

kainashi posted:

I didn't think Death could be killed. :eyepop:

Guess the Mark trumped that.

If Crowley had just cut short his grandstanding with his mother and Immortal Seth by about 5 minutes, the Mark would have been zapped off and he probably wouldn't have had the juice to cap Death.

So if Death is dead, are we into Miracle Day "nobody can die" territory now? If so, how did Rowena kill Seth? Or does the timeline just kind of work out in the split second where Rowena kills the kid, Dean kills Death, spell completes, Mark goes away? I'd have to rewatch to be sure.

Well we wondered how they could top The Apocalypse or The Leviathans for stakes, I guess something that predates God would count. Though this really, really seems like a rehash of the Leviathans. Because you drat know that The Darkness will end up taking some sort of dullsville human form.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I got into a giggling fit imagining Oscar just flailing around going GAAAHHHH for the next 5-6 months until we get the season opener.

"HE JUST WON'T STOP BLEEDING"

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.

Astroman posted:

Guess the Mark trumped that.

Death's own scythe can kill Death, it's why they were hunting for it in season 5.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

My mind is full of gently caress right now but here are some thoughts.

Death is just a horseman. He is the embodiment of death, but isn't a requirement for death to happen. Like, War is out of the picture but there isn't world peace. So it won't be a miracle day situation. Likely to shake up the reaper hierarchy though.

I really hope The Darkness isn't just Leviathans 2.0 but it's totally going to be.

Still don't like Rowena and I'm sad she will likely be integral to next season.

They're probably going to have to free Michael and Lucifer next season which is awesome. Also maybe track down Gabriel.

The next season needs to start with everyone in a room just staring at the floor while Chuck berates them for breaking everything all the time ("This is why we can't have nice things! "). Then it flashes back to where this season ended and just goes from there.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh, poo poo. Weird thought.

If they bring Michael back, will his vessel be Adam's body or John's young body?

If they bring Lucifer back, will his body be Sam's or will it be Nick?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Darko posted:

edit: Oh, no big deal, they just broke the universe.

They really did this time. I can't believe they actually managed to raise the stakes.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Man, they were all set for a really powerful finale and as soon as Sam dropped the pictures, I thought "oh god, Dean's going to spin around and stab Death, isn't he? Please don't."

Then I thought, "wait, can they actually kill Death? Oh, I guess so. Goddammit, Supernatural, stop killing great characters."

The Impala getting caught in a pothole was really stupid. At least they opened with that awesome rendition of Carry On Wayward Son.

All that said, I did like Death's little history lesson about the pre-Bible times.

quote:

If they bring Lucifer back, will his body be Nick?
In season 7, Lucifer was all Mark Pellegrino. I really hope they get him back.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Some Numbers posted:

The Impala getting caught in a pothole was really stupid. At least they opened with that awesome rendition of Carry On Wayward Son.
They probably wanted to have them get caught on the road but didn't have the money for it. They could have had the lighting thing hit the car so it wouldn't work, but I guess a pothole works too.

It was pretty convenient that Death gave Dean his scythe and then stood in just the right spot to be hit by the blade. Death could have said, "Shoot Sam in the head." and he wouldn't be able to do anything about it. Death should have just killed Sam when he walked in, instead of letting them talk about their feelings and punch each other. It's not like if Sam talked Dean out of it Death would have just gone away. I guess maybe Dean could have punched Death, but he didn't react to the scythe hitting him, so that probably wouldn't have done anything. The ending seems like it was just a convenient way to kill off Death for a reason the writers didn't tell anybody about. I am not at all surprised that Dean doesn't give a poo poo about all the people he and Sam killed to get to this point, they never cared before, they shouldn't start caring now.

Here's my prediction for next season. Even though The Darkness had to be fought off by God and a bunch of archangels, and all the archangels are dead or locked up, it will work in secret and take human form even though humans didn't exist until after they were locked away. It will also know everything there is to know about humans and act exactly like humans. The Darkness will keep within the borders of the continental United States for the duration of its meager existence, which might last the entire season. At no point will The Darkness have the slightest effect on Heaven, Hell, Purgatory, or Earth; so if you're Bob the builder you'll have no clue anything has ever happened even though a celestial battle is happening a few states over. Castiel didn't kill Crowley because Mark Shepard's name is in the credits for the first episode. Even though God needs all the help he can get to stop The Darkness, Sam and Dean will continue to do dumb human things and God won't lift a finger to help them. The Darkness will be defeated forever by a mcguffin God didn't know about or maybe the power of love. Even though Death isn't around to make more reapers, this will have no effect whatsoever on the soul business and the show will forget souls go to heaven and hell through reapers so it won't even matter.

The start of the first episode has the black smoke blow over the car, we'll learn later it's a protected religious icon created by God, and there will be a TV or radio talk about a freak tornado and then it will be dropped as Sam and Dean kill a monster of the week while they talk about their feelings. At the end of the episode Chuck will show up, possibly saving Sam and Dean or knocking on the door to their motel room after they kill the monster of the week. Sam/Dean will look at the other brother, and then back at Chuck, Chuck will smile and say something dumb and then the credits roll. Even though they'll be working with God, all the helpful powers he should have won't exist. They won't bother explaining why this is, you'll just have to accept it. God won't give Sam and Dean any cool powers of their own; they won't ask and God won't offer.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 09:58 on May 21, 2015

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm just hoping they get back to the season 1/season 2 era of "brothers working together towards problem" with the whole minimal secrets thing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
The darkness will be in Bobby's form so we get an entire season of Jim Beaver

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Yaos posted:

Here's my prediction for next season. Even though The Darkness had to be fought off by God and a bunch of archangels, and all the archangels are dead or locked up, it will work in secret and take human form even though humans didn't exist until after they were locked away. It will also know everything there is to know about humans and act exactly like humans. The Darkness will keep within the borders of the continental United States for the duration of its meager existence, which might last the entire season. At no point will The Darkness have the slightest effect on Heaven, Hell, Purgatory, or Earth; so if you're Bob the builder you'll have no clue anything has ever happened even though a celestial battle is happening a few states over. Castiel didn't kill Crowley because Mark Shepard's name is in the credits for the first episode. Even though God needs all the help he can get to stop The Darkness, Sam and Dean will continue to do dumb human things and God won't lift a finger to help them. The Darkness will be defeated forever by a mcguffin God didn't know about or maybe the power of love. Even though Death isn't around to make more reapers, this will have no effect whatsoever on the soul business and the show will forget souls go to heaven and hell through reapers so it won't even matter.

The start of the first episode has the black smoke blow over the car, we'll learn later it's a protected religious icon created by God, and there will be a TV or radio talk about a freak tornado and then it will be dropped as Sam and Dean kill a monster of the week while they talk about their feelings. At the end of the episode Chuck will show up, possibly saving Sam and Dean or knocking on the door to their motel room after they kill the monster of the week. Sam/Dean will look at the other brother, and then back at Chuck, Chuck will smile and say something dumb and then the credits roll. Even though they'll be working with God, all the helpful powers he should have won't exist. They won't bother explaining why this is, you'll just have to accept it. God won't give Sam and Dean any cool powers of their own; they won't ask and God won't offer.

:sigh:

I think I know why Padalecki's so depressed...

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."
Every time I see or hear The Darkness I think of the band.

I believe in a thing called love
Just listen to the rhythm of your heart

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

BIG CITY LAWYER posted:

Yes indeed. And it looks like the big bad next season is going to involve glam rock and pink furry tentacles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRYNYb30nxU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

BIG CITY LAWYER posted:

All I could think of was the game.

That was a good loving game. Jackie Estacado for Season 11, please.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What the gently caress was that. (The whole episode, not the ending.)

Death: Hi guys, I have a completely reasonable solution because I'm absolutely right. I'm literally saving thousands of people.

gently caress YOU DEATH, DIE!

.... and did Castiel really just stand there and chill while some poor innocent dude was knifed in the neck? Seriously? He's such an rear end in a top hat anymore.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Blazing Ownager posted:

What the gently caress was that. (The whole episode, not the ending.)

Death: Hi guys, I have a completely reasonable solution because I'm absolutely right. I'm literally saving thousands of people.

gently caress YOU DEATH, DIE!

.... and did Castiel really just stand there and chill while some poor innocent dude was knifed in the neck? Seriously? He's such an rear end in a top hat anymore.

Cas has been pretty jaded for a while.

Plus the dude was like 300. He lived enough. And it was for the greater good or something but not really because it broke the universe.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Yaos posted:

I"m also guessing the brothers will promise to be open and honest and then immediately start keeping secrets from each other in order to keep the family together.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
If this is just a rehash of the leviathans, I'm probably out. We had 3 minutes of setup to the LOST smoke monster and then one of the best characters died?

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Somebody over at Reddit mentioned The Darkness retcons Supernatural history. Here's what Death had to say about Leviathans in season 7.

quote:

There are things much older than souls in Purgatory, and you gulped those in too... Long before God created angel or man he made the first beasts: the Leviathans... I personally found them entertaining, but He was concerned they'd chomp the entire Petri dish.

However, this episode he said God and the archangels defeated The Darkness in a war and The Darkness existed before God. So we have to assume God created Leviathans, sent them to purgatory, and then created angels, and then the war started.

This also raises the question of where all the other gods came from. Did Eve make all of them? She was created by Purgatory, God's creations have a habit of making/doing evil things, and she created all of the supernatural beings, so we have to assume she did but forgot about it because she seemed to think she only made the alpha monsters.

I think I figured this out, all life is made from the same stuff as The Darkness. God was trying to figure out how to make The Darkness good but failed every time, so he's not filling the universe with evil things, he's just trying to figure out how to make the things in it good. He was co-existing with The Darkness and his first creation out of it was Leviathans, which can eat The Darkness, but eating The Darkness made them even more evil. This will also provide a good explanation why The Darkness is going to be a background enemy for most of the season and won't affect the status quo in any way, it likes humans. Death just forgot Leviathans existed when he talked about The Darkness, he's old and has energy being alzheimer's.

If Sam and Dean don't ask God a billion questions when he shows up, I'll be perturbed.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 21, 2015

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Slamhound posted:

I"m also guessing the brothers will promise to be open and honest and then immediately start keeping secrets from each other in order to keep the family together.

When Dean killed death I was just going ".... why?" It's not that I liked the character, I did, but.. why? loving why??!

This is also 100% Sam's fault, Death was the hero trying to kill him and banish Dean. Everything that happens from here out is on their heads, and on Castielle's head for being on board with this stuff. I don't think it's the intention, but the entire main cast are the villains, now. I think we've officially hit the line where humanity is better off without the Winchesters. They used to hunt people who would, I don't know, threaten to destroy the world to bring back a loved one. Now look at this poo poo.

This is doubly hilarious when you realize Dean and Death had those moments in the past, and Dean learned to respect Death, and really insured him .. no traps this time, then just straight up ganks him under a flag of truce while Death is seriously trying to do the right thing. Seriously. If they don't realize he's the bad guy now, I don't know what to say. This might be one of the most absolutely loving random character deaths I've seen in a long time.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 21, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Blazing Ownager posted:

When Dean killed death I was just going ".... why?" It's not that I liked the character, I did, but.. why? loving why??!

Can't be sure, but I'm going to go with "It was the mark."

Death said the mark became self aware. Since it was the lock against the darkness and it knew Sam was working to remove it, it influenced Dean to remove Death from the playing field so it could b unlocked.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bull3964 posted:

Death said the mark became self aware. Since it was the lock against the darkness and it knew Sam was working to remove it, it influenced Dean to remove Death from the playing field so it could b unlocked.

I got the feeling it was because "Ohhhh no he wants me to kill Sam so I have to kill him instead" instead of just shooting that plan down before calling Sam out there and all, you know. Last second cold feet, kind of their trademark lately.

Worst part is Death was absolutely right. Sam wouldn't leave it alone and everyone knew it. Because he's not a good guy, pretty much.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Dean and Sam's big talk about them actually being evil became surprisingly meta.

I have to wonder if the writers intended that.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

bull3964 posted:

It doesn't have to be quite that meta and all knowing, maybe the mark just didn't like the deal Death was offering. The mark didn't want to get sent to an uninhabited planet somewhere that Dean couldn't harm anyone or himself.

I wonder what kind of planet Death had in mind? Dean can't die, so it wouldn't have to be a planet capable of supporting human life. It could be Jupiter or Venus. If some sort of life forms exist it wouldn't matter because Dean would be helpless there, even in demon form.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

One thing that I'm having trouble reconciling here with the stakes being this high is it's making the earth too universe-centric.

Death and God on this show have always been something that could be universe spanning. You could easily say "Oh, we're only seeing Earth's part of this story. God already had this apocalypse thing pan out on Cygnus 158b. This is earth's turn to go through this trial." God could have just been going around all over the universe with little life experiments.

But, since the mark is something that was sent to earth as the key to hold back the darkness which was universe spanning, you can infer that the earth is God's only project. It makes things feel kinda small. Basically, they always let things be lose enough that you could simultaneously say all the judeo-christian religion stuff is true but that there could also be more out there. This storyline seems to be more rigidly defining things.

It's not going to take away my enjoyment of the show, but it changes it a bit.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Angela Christine posted:

It doesn't have to be quite that meta and all knowing, maybe the mark just didn't like the deal Death was offering. The mark didn't want to get sent to an uninhabited planet somewhere that Dean couldn't harm anyone or himself.

I wonder what kind of planet Death had in mind? Dean can't die, so it wouldn't have to be a planet capable of supporting human life. It could be Jupiter or Venus. If some sort of life forms exist it wouldn't matter because Dean would be helpless there, even in demon form.

I assumed he meant like some other plain of existence, not another planet specifically.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm still just kinda wondering why no one thought "Hey, send Dean to Purgatory" cause, I mean, it's like 10 feet to the right of Hell and Heaven, only beasts/demons/mean poo poo is there, and he can kill as much as he wants.

Granted, getting to go to Mars or whatever is cool as well, but it's not like there isn't a big, shiny, obvious plot place that's already been introduced.

Still, you have to admire the symmetry. Cain kills his bro after he gets the mark, and Dean has to axe Sammy in order to finish up the curse as well.

Only thing I didn't like was that AT ANY TIME Sam could have called the trio and said "gently caress it, no, don't do the spell. Death himself popped up and told us this was a completely poo poo idea" but didn't, so EVEN MORESO THAN LETTING LUCIFER OUT AND KICKSTARTING THE APOCALYPSE, this one is completely his fault.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'm still just kinda wondering why no one thought "Hey, send Dean to Purgatory" cause, I mean, it's like 10 feet to the right of Hell and Heaven, only beasts/demons/mean poo poo is there, and he can kill as much as he wants.

Granted, getting to go to Mars or whatever is cool as well, but it's not like there isn't a big, shiny, obvious plot place that's already been introduced.

Still, you have to admire the symmetry. Cain kills his bro after he gets the mark, and Dean has to axe Sammy in order to finish up the curse as well.

Only thing I didn't like was that AT ANY TIME Sam could have called the trio and said "gently caress it, no, don't do the spell. Death himself popped up and told us this was a completely poo poo idea" but didn't, so EVEN MORESO THAN LETTING LUCIFER OUT AND KICKSTARTING THE APOCALYPSE, this one is completely his fault.

Dean was the one who kick started that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Here's one thing I don't fully understand either. Didn't Cain retain the mark after he gave it to Dean? I could have sworn it was more of a copy than a transfer.

I mean, if it's the case that all the marks are linked and you can't destroy one without destroying them all, I can accept that, but that part seemed a little muddy.