Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Fucken hell, if you defend this sloppy job of combat. I played it on the PS4 and PC and while it's more tolerable with a controller it's still dreadfully shite, especially since I've been playing Bloodborne, which poo poo bosses aside had you actually control your character exactly as you liked, not either spring around like a retard all the time.

Also did the earlier games have weapon/armour durability? I didn't remember it but it's really dull and pointless.

Combat is anything but sloppy.

And durability is poo poo and pointless, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Fucken hell, if you defend this sloppy job of combat. I played it on the PS4 and PC and while it's more tolerable with a controller it's still dreadfully shite, especially since I've been playing Bloodborne, which poo poo bosses aside had you actually control your character exactly as you liked, not either spring around like a retard all the time.

Also did the earlier games have weapon/armour durability? I didn't remember it but it's really dull and pointless.

Still, like the story and characters; just a shame that it isn't really enjoyable going through the gameplay. Maybe I'll eventually get used to it but it's still a rubbish system.
Yea, this too. Alchemy is dull, crafting is dull and the skill tree is a bloody disgrace. And they limit your abilities! I don't even see what the gently caress for; just so you're not good at everything all the time except you can just switch around on the fly if you want?

I don't have a problem with the combat? I dunno what to say. Stop comparing it to Bloodborne.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Verranicus posted:

It's not bad, though. It's just, according to a lot of the bitching threads/articles I've read recently, not enough like Skyrim or Bloodborne. Bad gamers fear and hate things that are different.
It's not very different though. The combat system is similar to Ninja Gaiden, but way clunkier and less thought out.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Mercrom posted:

It's not very different though. The combat system is similar to Ninja Gaiden, but way clunkier and less thought out.

I've never played Ninja Gaiden so I can't comment, but again I have to say I have no issues with the combat. I find it fun and actiony with enough strategy using the dodges and signs/items to keep things interesting.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I'm really enjoying the combat, actually. Yeah, it's not super TIGHT, but it's pretty drat good. The best open world RPG combat I've played, as far as I can remember. Agreed with item durability, it really sucks. One thing that took me too long to realize is that repair all repairs everything in your inventory. Wish they had a button to just repair equipped items. Either way though, I hope they tune the degradation a bit, either slow it down or make it cheaper to fix.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Verranicus posted:

He's not funny, though? He just straight out calls people who disagree with him morons and calls things poo poo a lot.

:ssh: It's a parody of the PC Master Race types

...or did I just get trolled. I just don't know anymore.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Tried PC version and I'm surprised I can play this quite well. 35 to 45 FPS on mostly high settings all around, game looks good and feels better than the PS4 janky version. By all means I expected to not even be able to run it period but I guess all the benchmark tests were bullshit.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The concepts behind the combat are good, but the execution of the control systems is pretty bad. It's mostly frustrating because its half way to being a really good system, but an unpolished implementation of animation locked attacks and some dodgey target locking really spoils it.

Edit: I will concede that it is better than any other open world combat system, but that's more due to the competition being so terrible. Still, I'd rather have an unpolished but conceptually solid system like this than say Skyrims bland and skilless axe swinging.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 22, 2015

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Having to re-watch the cut-scene of Niellen's psycho obsessive girl with the fur fetish every time he kills me wouldn't be so bad if it didn't give him a free hit right at the end of it because Geralt is no longer in combat mode.

Potions, gateway drug.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 22, 2015

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Sauer posted:

Potions, gateway drug.

I loving love turning in a witcher contract while I'm still high as balls on potions and looking like a hellish murderbeast.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Warning to everyone you can only buy 1 respec potion ever. After you buy one it disappears from all the other merchants. Guess I am stuck with the choices I made. I checked 3 different alchemy merchants and none of them had it anymore after I had used one 20 hours earlier or so.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

cheesetriangles posted:

Warning to everyone you can only buy 1 respec potion ever. After you buy one it disappears from all the other merchants. Guess I am stuck with the choices I made. I checked 3 different alchemy merchants and none of them had it anymore after I had used one 20 hours earlier or so.

Head on over to the Before I Play thread with that.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

How to kill a werewolf: igni, silver, silver silver, igni, dancing star, igni silv-oh look he's dead

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

cheesetriangles posted:

Have you checked the dude that sells "rare magic artifacts" in a shop above the barber in Novigrad? He sells one. Marked as a normal merchant on the map.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
A big problem with the combat I've found is how short the leash range on enemies is. Another thing borrowed from MMOs. I have to dodge a lot in combat and it's really annoying how often enemies de-aggro and run back to their post.

Mercrom fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 22, 2015

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
So here I am with my two bitchin' griffin sword diagrams and the village I go to which has a journeyman smith has been annihilated by a pack of devourers led by an alghoul. And they keep loving respawning. At least I learned how to kick the poo poo out of an alghoul though. The goon who taught us the crit stacks is a legend btw.

So does anyone have an idea as to where the journeyman smiths are in Velen?

crackton posted:

Is there any danger in over leveling with the game? I didn't do I on purpose, I've just been exploring and talking to people without doing the main quest, but now I'm at level 12 and starting to worry I might ruin the experience later.

It's the exact opposite I find. There are places where you just cannot go if you aren't leveled/pimped out enough. Found an area in southern Velen which must have some demon possessing the land surrounding a hill because goddamn it has insane beasts guarding each of its slopes. Fiends/Basilisks, and a cyclops a bot to the south. Fiends are loving terrifying.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 22, 2015

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I WAS WRONG I JUST CHECKED THE WRONG MERCHANTS YOU CAN RESPEC MORE THAN ONCE I AM DUMB.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Lord Lambeth posted:

How to kill a werewolf: igni, silver, silver silver, igni, dancing star, igni silv-oh look he's dead

I don't see Thunderbolt in there, how dare you call yourself a monster slayer

Choccy Starfish
Oct 5, 2012

Mercrom posted:

A big problem with the combat I've found is how short the leash range on enemies is. Another thing borrowed from MMOs. I have to dodge a lot in combat and it's really annoying how often enemies de-aggro and run back to their post.

I agree.

I also agree with the minority, and combat really is pretty lovely. I think a lot of it is to do with, what I perceive as command lag.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
So if someone could spoil me on the Triss mage rescue sidequest that would be great; I am a big dumb baby that doesn't want to pick the "greater good" option.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

cheesetriangles posted:

I WAS WRONG I JUST CHECKED THE WRONG MERCHANTS YOU CAN RESPEC MORE THAN ONCE I AM DUMB.

That's good.

ymgve posted:

I don't see Thunderbolt in there, how dare you call yourself a monster slayer

Honestly half the time I trigger Thunderbolt on accident because I'm reaching for the Swallow. Stupid xbox D-pad.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

The Crooked Warden posted:

So if someone could spoil me on the Triss mage rescue sidequest that would be great; I am a big dumb baby that doesn't want to pick the "greater good" option.

If you choose to rescue the couple, some random old guy will die. I suppose if you ditch them they will die. It doesn't seem to matter much though. Triss will moan a bit about how much it sucks that that one dude died.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
Just got done sticking it to that hot piece of rear end Keira :quagmire:

Captain Spoon
Oct 26, 2007

Not actually silverware.
Just want to say that everything about Novigrad is amazing.

By the way, if you like ridiculously garish clownsuits, there's a guy just outside of the city who will suit your needs.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Captain Spoon posted:

By the way, if you like ridiculously garish clownsuits, there's a guy just outside of the city who will suit your needs.

YESSSSSSS! Guess I'm going to Novigrad soon.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Captain Spoon posted:

Good to see you made the right choice. All these motherfuckers and their incorrectly unsubtle wolf masks, pfah.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
gently caress I havnt finished pillars of eternity. Is this better?

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

they're like completely different games man, but i am enjoying this more than i did that, and I enjoyed pillars a hell of a lot.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I stumbled across a town filled with what appeared to be xenomorphs. One of them walked up to me and I just died. It didn't even attack.

I don't think I'm supposed to be here.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

It depends entirely on what you're looking for.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Is there a place that sells Venom Extract? Or what enemy drops it? I think that's what it was called, it was a brown "epic" drop/item that I sold to somewhere, and I need it to craft my Viper swords.

vvvvvvvvvv awesome, thanks man.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 22, 2015

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

^^^^ Ghouls drop tons of venom extract. I sell it off all the time because of how much I get from them

Oh man enhanced beast and insectoid oils, these'll help ou-- gently caress, I don't have the base versions. :smith:

Not a huge fan of how random the alchemy formulae you find seems to be. I just found those two oils and now they'll sitting useless until I find the base versions to upgrade into them. At which point no bear or giant bug will be safe.

Edit: Speaking of the serpentine swords, I see people complaining about finding the Emerald Dust a lot and I found out after playing through White Orchard again with a friend that wraiths drop it pretty frequently. There are two you can kill in White Orchard, though you might have to save scum to get the dust if they don't drop it the first time. I just made the silver sword and didn't bother with the steel since what I had was almost as good (and I've since found better).

Bussamove fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 22, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

queeb posted:

Anyone seen any performance gains with the patch?

I've taken a performance hit I think; it hosed up my graphics settings and once I got everything back the way it was I think I've lost a 5 FPS or something.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Someone mentioned binding the quick dodge to spacebar, and roll to alt. I would like to do this, but when I try it unbinds spacebar from jump and surface (when underwater). How do I bind something to multiple keys?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Megasabin posted:

Someone mentioned binding the quick dodge to spacebar, and roll to alt. I would like to do this, but when I try it unbinds spacebar from jump and surface (when underwater). How do I bind something to multiple keys?

The key rebinding thing suck poo poo. I'm not sure it's a thing you can control. Not ingame, at least. You may have to do it via the .ini.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I love this game so much. After playing so many bioware rpgs with bad dialogue and crappy quests and boring mary sue characters, playing as manly sarcastic sex-machine Geralt is a breath of fresh air.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Re: Nekker hearts, you'll fine nekkers galore in Est Tayiar. You'll need to progress the Novigrad portion of Act 1 a fair ways to enter it however.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

First day of playing. Games owns and this thread moves fast. I am experiencing a little stuttering and would like to increase my FPS some. Are there any common settings I should turn off or tweaks that a lot of people are using?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Xavier434 posted:

First day of playing. Games owns and this thread moves fast. I am experiencing a little stuttering and would like to increase my FPS some. Are there any common settings I should turn off or tweaks that a lot of people are using?

Tell us your graphics card.

I have a 760 @ 1680.1050 and run with medium water, high everything else, ultra detail. No AA, medium shadows. I get about 45-50fps. Game is pretty as gently caress.

I used to have AA, but I literally can't see a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
You know it's gonna be a fun contract when you find out the beast you're hunting has killed a loving Fiend.