Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

LastInLine posted:

Root and install GravityBox.

Edit: Wait, button? Like a physical button? If that means you have a Samsung then I don't know but I'm sure it will require rooting.

Cool little app, ty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Is there a setting to keep the volume control from being toggled while it's locked on the Nexus 6? I accidentally raise it up from vibrate all the drat time

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Just got the galaxy s6 edge. Holy poo poo this is way better than the galaxy s5.

vyst fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 21, 2015

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

vyst posted:

Just got the galaxy s6 edge. Holy poo poo is this better than the galaxy s5

I'm not sure is this a question

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

kri kri posted:

I'm not sure is this a question

Sorry I adjusted the grammar syntax in it for pedantic nerds.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

vyst posted:

Just got the galaxy s6 edge. Holy poo poo this is way better than the galaxy s5.

What do you find to be so much better?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of finding something better: I just switched back down to my 2013 Moto X from the 2014 version and I forgot how great it was. I like it better than the newer one. It just feels better and the screen size is perfect.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What do you find to be so much better?

Things I already like better:

The ability to double press the home key to access the camera
The fingerprint scanner is like the iphone one now and you just have to put your finger over it
The camera lets you adjust the flash without having to drop down the settings menu
Touchwiz is far more cleaner (less samsung app bullshit)

Things that are neat but i won't use much:
The People Edge thing on the side of the phone - because it doesn't support 3rd party SMS/email apps.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Would you recommend the Edge over the regular S6? Does it have any use at all? I'm due for an upgrade soon, and the Edge version costs about about $130 more on the initial payment.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

vyst posted:

Things I already like better:

The ability to double press the home key to access the camera
The fingerprint scanner is like the iphone one now and you just have to put your finger over it
The camera lets you adjust the flash without having to drop down the settings menu
Touchwiz is far more cleaner (less samsung app bullshit)

Things that are neat but i won't use much:
The People Edge thing on the side of the phone - because it doesn't support 3rd party SMS/email apps.

Does Touchwiz feel faster this time around compared with the S5? UI lag is something my lizard brain really notices, and Touchwiz has been awful for this historically. Useless apps don't bother me so much since I usually just throw them in a folder or hide them.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Freezer posted:

Would you recommend the Edge over the regular S6? Does it have any use at all? I'm due for an upgrade soon, and the Edge version costs about about $130 more on the initial payment.

No. If i could do it over again I'd get the regular s6.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Does Touchwiz feel faster this time around compared with the S5? UI lag is something my lizard brain really notices, and Touchwiz has been awful for this historically. Useless apps don't bother me so much since I usually just throw them in a folder or hide them.

Night and day. There is no lag that I can see anywhere. Granted I'm using nova launcher and textra. But the camera loads as quick as anything.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

vyst posted:

No. If i could do it over again I'd get the regular s6.

Don't you have a 2-week return window?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

hooah posted:

Don't you have a 2-week return window?

Probably but my Verizon manager friend did a whole lot of magic to get me this phone without having to return my cracked galaxy s5. I'm fine with the phone really. The information stream is neat

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Droid Washington posted:

Speaking of finding something better: I just switched back down to my 2013 Moto X from the 2014 version and I forgot how great it was. I like it better than the newer one. It just feels better and the screen size is perfect.

Why

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

It's not lollipop.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

uPen posted:

It's not lollipop.

Sounds like a disadvantage :shobon:

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
For anyone interested in Project Fi (is anyone interested in Project Fi?) I got an email today, which told me that invites are unlikely to come before "mid-summer."

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Has there been any information on Moto Assist not playing through Bluetooth? I remember someone brought it up in the thread somewhat recently, and I noticed it again yesterday.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

nocal posted:

For anyone interested in Project Fi (is anyone interested in Project Fi?) I got an email today, which told me that invites are unlikely to come before "mid-summer."

I read it as 'we'll get to you by mid summer'

quote:

We're sending invites as quickly as we can, while ensuring a high-quality experience. Given the number of requests we’ve received, we currently estimate that it will take until mid-summer to get to everyone

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Freezer posted:

I went with the regular S6. Didn't care for the feel of the Edge in hand and the additional functions aren't worth the extra $100. Been very happy with my choice so far.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

WescottF1 posted:

I went with the regular S6. Didn't care for the feel of the Edge in hand and the additional functions aren't worth the extra $100. Been very happy with my choice so far.

See I think the edge feels better on my hand because of the design, but the extra poo poo definitely isn't worth the $100.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

So my S6 has a line of dead pixels showing up on the top of my screen today. On day 15. Am I going to be hosed? Or will Verizon/Samsung be cool?

The other thing that pisses me off is that I have a glass screen protector that I don't think will re-attatch.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/05/flawed-android-factory-reset-leaves-crypto-and-login-keys-ripe-for-picking/

Looks like there's a major issue with Android's Factory Reset. Basically, it doesn't actually reset anything. Including files, SD cards, login keys, and encryption doesn't help either.

21 Android phones from 2.1 to 4.3 were tested and all have the issue. However, it seems that 4.4 and above do as well according to the comments:

quote:

Recovery of the data could still be possible but the offline cracking attack would have to occur on the device to take advantage of the TEE key. It would take longer but conceivably would still be possible (especially for short and purely numerical pins).

It also looks like all phones (Android and not) will have an issue as, according to the article, flash memory is hard to actually wipe.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I'm loving my nexus 6 but after a few weeks I've noticed a few things that have been bothering me.

Compared to my MAXX the reception is kinda lovely, especially indoors.

The Bluetooth is a bit cantankerous. I have a big jambox I use all day at work and when I walk away for awhile the jambox will shut off as its supposed to but when I turn it back on sometimes I'll have to toggle Bluetooth off and on to reconnect. I've even had to reset the phone to get it to work again. This was never a problem with the MAXX.

In the car I use the stereo jack to listen to music. I get a very noticeable hum unless I'm actually playing some audio. The noise goes away as soon as something is playing and comes back when I pause. This happens with all players and apps. I don't notice it with headphones or with my jambox. Again, didn't happen with the MAXX.

Are these known issues with solutions or do I have a bum unit?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
What are the gain levels like re: your car stereo?

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
Hooray, 5.1.1 finally appears to have rid my N5 of the infuriating memory leak.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/05/flawed-android-factory-reset-leaves-crypto-and-login-keys-ripe-for-picking/

Looks like there's a major issue with Android's Factory Reset. Basically, it doesn't actually reset anything. Including files, SD cards, login keys, and encryption doesn't help either.

21 Android phones from 2.1 to 4.3 were tested and all have the issue. However, it seems that 4.4 and above do as well according to the comments:

It also looks like all phones (Android and not) will have an issue as, according to the article, flash memory is hard to actually wipe.

Why would people expect a factory reset to be a secure wipe? Factory reset means "restore settings to out-of-the-box" and always has. That's a lovely click bait headline on ars technica's part. Factory resetting my Windows laptop is gonna leave old data all over the drive too for any recovery software to prod at.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

NonzeroCircle posted:

What are the gain levels like re: your car stereo?

Everything is pretty close to the middle as far as the EQ and input levels. My old phone and my iPod don't make any noise using the same settings and cables.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Why would people expect a factory reset to be a secure wipe?
Probably because, at least on the Moto X, the factory data reset option says

quote:

"This will erase all data from your phone's internal storage, including:
  • System and app data and settings
  • Downloaded apps
  • Music
  • Photos
  • Other user data

edit: dammit I typed all this out and then clicked on the link which provided an image of the same thing

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Probably because, at least on the Moto X, the factory data reset option says

edit: dammit I typed all this out and then clicked on the link which provided an image of the same thing

It does, in the same way deleting a file on any storage medium erases it. New file system structures are written to the beginning of the storage such that all of the blocks appear free. That screen is telling the user their data will be gone, and to an average phone user it is. The fact that file recovery is possible from an erased but not thoroughly zeroed out storage device isn't news. HDDs work this way, flash works this way, it's always worked this way.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

It does, in the same way deleting a file on any storage medium erases it. New file system structures are written to the beginning of the storage such that all of the blocks appear free. That screen is telling the user their data will be gone, and to an average phone user it is. The fact that file recovery is possible from an erased but not thoroughly zeroed out storage device isn't news. HDDs work this way, flash works this way, it's always worked this way.

Right, but I think the issue here is that even encryption supposedly isn't zeroing out everything. The belief around here has always been that encrypting before factory wiping was the safe way to erase your data.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Right, but I think the issue here is that even encryption supposedly isn't zeroing out everything. The belief around here has always been that encrypting before factory wiping was the safe way to erase your data.

The data is still there, but factory resetting should destroy the key used to encrypt it, which should make it unreadable. Now if the OS is not zeroing out the key, then of you knew where to look you could recover it and decrypt whatever is there.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

withoutclass posted:

The data is still there, but factory resetting should destroy the key used to encrypt it, which should make it unreadable. Now if the OS is not zeroing out the key, then of you knew where to look you could recover it and decrypt whatever is there.

This is in the comments of the article:

quote:

d4Njv wrote:
As of Lollipop the encryption key is no longer derived from a user-entered password (https://source.android.com/devices/tech/security/encryption/#starting_an_encrypted_device_with_default_encryption).

dcf_lol wrote:
The issue isn't that the encryption key is derived from the user-entered password, it's that it's protected by it.

From the article:

"That's because the file that stores the decryption key isn't erased during the factory-reset process. While the key is itself encrypted with a cryptographic salt and a user-selected PIN or password, recovery of the "crypto footer," as the encrypted file is known, gives an attacker everything needed to perform an offline cracking attack."

Unless 5.0 does something different with the crypto footer on wipe this would still be an issue.

EDIT: just reread the linked android documentation page. Recovery of the data could still be possible but the offline cracking attack would have to occur on the device to take advantage of the TEE key. It would take longer but conceivably would still be possible (especially for short and purely numerical pins).

According to this comment, the key in 5.0.x and up is protected by the user-entered password and it's not wiped as the password isn't either. As of 5.0.x+, you can still get to the data, it'd just take a while longer.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Rusty! posted:

Hooray, 5.1.1 finally appears to have rid my N5 of the infuriating memory leak.

Yeah mine too, hadn't had to reboot since I sideloaded the OTA on wednesday. I said the same thing about 5.1 but I'm cautiously optimistic.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Sereri posted:

Yeah mine too, hadn't had to reboot since I sideloaded the OTA on wednesday. I said the same thing about 5.1 but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Vendors are extremely optimistic about this update apparently because phones slated for 5.1 will probably go directly to 5.1.1. I know the discussion of the galaxy s6 line 5.1 update said this.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

ThermoPhysical posted:

This is in the comments of the article:

According to this comment, the key in 5.0.x and up is protected by the user-entered password and it's not wiped as the password isn't either. As of 5.0.x+, you can still get to the data, it'd just take a while longer.

A workaround is to enter a really long gibberish password to encrypt. That would make key recovery infeasible for anyone but the NSA, and if you're worried about the NSA, you'd be smashing your old phone with a hammer, not selling it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

dpbjinc posted:

A workaround is to enter a really long gibberish password to encrypt. That would make key recovery infeasible for anyone but the NSA, and if you're worried about the NSA, you'd be smashing your old phone with a hammer, not selling it.

Yeah, that is a workaround, however it's frustrating for most people to use a really long password on a mobile device so most people won't do this.

Then again, most people also don't know what encryption even is so yeah...

Though, even most power users aren't going to go and do that...it sucks that flash RAM has the issue though.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yeah, that is a workaround, however it's frustrating for most people to use a really long password on a mobile device so most people won't do this.

Then again, most people also don't know what encryption even is so yeah...

Though, even most power users aren't going to go and do that...it sucks that flash RAM has the issue though.

I think he meant immediately before you get rid of it, enter a ridiculous password for the encryption, not for every day use. You're still screwed if someone steals your phone, but at least you'll be fine when you give it away or sell it.

I think Android phones support using U2F keys for unlock now, though. In that case, you could use a crazy encryption password, and just be stuck having to carry a NFC-enabled USB key with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Who doesn't just reflash the factory image from the Nexus site?

Anyway, I just got back from checking out the Qi furniture and lamps at Ikea. They're pretty crappy. The tables come in two varieties, one of them really cheap metal and the other pressboard but not much better. The lamps and pads were okay (except for the floor lamp which was unsteady) but the biggest issue was that placement to get devices to charge was next to impossible.

It certainly mitigates the key advantage of Qi if you can't just toss it down and expect it to work. It is no exaggeration to say that the difference between my Nexus 5 charging or not charging was a few millimeters in any one direction on a surface where you had eight to ten inches of flat area. I mean, if I have to fiddle with it to be sure it's working I could've just used a cable (which you could, nearly all of the devices also have a USB charging port). The chargers have an LED to indicate that it's working but it's embedded right next to the coil so there's no way to see it if a device is actually on it. There would certainly be no way to use this in a dark room.

Factoring in the price (which is high), there's no way it's not a better deal to just buy Tylt Vus in lieu of these things. I did test the power draw with Ampere but as my device was nearly fully charged it wouldn't draw more than 240mA on Ikea's devices or the Tylt car charger.