Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Silvergun1000 posted:

When do you start seeing heavy armor? I'm up to Novograd now and I haven't seen a single piece.

I got this heavy chestpiece from a quest in southern Velen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Ghosts of the Past: Ahhhhhhhh Lethoooooooo :allears:

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Is it even possible to win the first match in the Passiflora Gwent tournament? Seems like the AI always just plays Avallac'h into nothing but hero cards.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Harrow posted:

Honestly, I don't know what this game wants from me on Blood and Broken Bones difficulty. Why can an equal-level enemy (I'm 6, it's 6) kill me in two hits? Three hits if I put Quen up. I just don't get the point of this. I wanted this challenging, not "save before every battle because you die in three hits, and if you get hit once you'll probably get hit again."

I also don't know why I refuse to turn it down--probably because I'm convinced I'm just playing wrong. It doesn't help that I'm just plain not finding better armor. Or, rather, every armor I can buy or craft in any shop in all of Velen is light and I'd really love some medium.

The point is learn to dodge that shiny pointy thing called a sword. If you lock on to enemies their healthbar will flash right before they attack, that's where you actually dodge.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lord Lambeth posted:

The point is learn to dodge that shiny pointy thing called a sword. If you lock on to enemies their healthbar will flash right before they attack, that's where you actually dodge.

It will flash without lock on, and when fighting groups you never want to lock on.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

You have the oil recipe. It's "specter oil."

The fight is doable without the potions assuming you've done the investigation part first. If you want healing potions go do the main quest up until you meet the herbalist. She'll give you a quest to make a swallow (healing) potion. After that just meditate with some alcohest (I think that's the name) in your inventory to restock it. You can also make a few weaker bombs if you go around picking herbs that should help.

Also, another minor spoiler relevant to (I think) all ghosty wraith types: if you drop a Yrden while within the trap effect they become "corporeal" and take dramatically increased damage.

I can see why some people would dislike the combat. I think it's pretty good, but would agree they could stand to tone down the emphasis on dodging and rolling constantly. While it does add mobility and a sense of franticness to the combat, it's also a little disorienting and makes everything kinda random and chaotic. It's also really frustrating in enclosed spaces or complicated terrain, I get monsters stuck in objects a fair bit. Maybe if parry were stronger so the option to block blows is as attractive as hit-roll-hit-roll-hit-sign-roll-hit.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Parry is probably how it is to prevent Aard from becoming even more OP.

EDIT: \/ the camera needs to be tied more to targeting in general. Even on consoles it would help a ton.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 22, 2015

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Bugblatter posted:

The concepts behind the combat are good, but the execution of the control systems is pretty bad. It's mostly frustrating because its half way to being a really good system, but an unpolished implementation of animation locked attacks and some dodgey target locking really spoils it.

Edit: I will concede that it is better than any other open world combat system, but that's more due to the competition being so terrible. Still, I'd rather have an unpolished but conceptually solid system like this than say Skyrims bland and skilless axe swinging.

The targeting system is for me the biggest culprit. ItŽs extremely annoying when you point to a mob with the mouse, swing and geralt goes and decides to ballet with a mob on the complete opposite side and miles away.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The game really is better on a controller from what everyone keeps saying about KB+M stuff.

And yes Geralt, astonishingly you do know what rain looks like still, just like every other time a front has rolled in five minutes ago. :argh:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lord Lambeth posted:

Orv posted:

It will flash without lock on, and when fighting groups you never want to lock on.

I mean, is the "take less damage if you get hit while dodging" ability basically mandatory? I feel like an idiot for not beelining for it and leveling some Signs stuff instead. Because against groups, there's only so much that dodging can do--eventually I'm going to get tagged mid-dodge or mid-roll. And against single big enemies, like this level 6 Gargoyle I just killed after five tries, it took the distance of two rolls to get away from its ground-pound that dealt 75% of my vitality all at once. I basically had to constantly have Quen up or I had no hope.

I had all of these problems in The Witcher 2 and eventually ended up turning the difficulty up to Hard because I finally got the rhythm of it, but somehow this feels... harsher. I feel drastically underequipped and I have no idea how to fix that--I'm not finding many weapon diagrams and zero good armor diagrams.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Looks like nexus got around to putting up a mod site for Witcher 3

No nude mods yet.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Harrow posted:

I mean, is the "take less damage if you get hit while dodging" ability basically mandatory?

I don't think so, since I've been playing on the same difficulty and I've managed to not hear of this skill. Groupwise, I have found igni really good at getting people to back off and give me breathing room.

I don't know what else to say but to explore. This game rewards exploration really hard.

edit: whoops, double post

Orv
May 4, 2011

Harrow posted:

I mean, is the "take less damage if you get hit while dodging" ability basically mandatory? I feel like an idiot for not beelining for it and leveling some Signs stuff instead. Because against groups, there's only so much that dodging can do--eventually I'm going to get tagged mid-dodge or mid-roll. And against single big enemies, like this level 6 Gargoyle I just killed after five tries, it took the distance of two rolls to get away from its ground-pound that dealt 75% of my vitality all at once. I basically had to constantly have Quen up or I had no hope.

I had all of these problems in The Witcher 2 and eventually ended up turning the difficulty up to Hard because I finally got the rhythm of it, but somehow this feels... harsher. I feel drastically underequipped and I have no idea how to fix that--I'm not finding many weapon diagrams and zero good armor diagrams.

Even on Death March I'm not dying in one or two hits to most things except super monsters. Something you need to keep in mind about group fighting is that your dodges and attacks always need to keep you outside the group. Short dodging diagonally to anyone attacking you, specifically diagonally towards the far edge of any group of enemies, is always the right play. Even in enclosed spaces, the only time you want dodging into a sword to be a possibility is if they put you up against a wall, and then Aard, burn an adrenaline for Quen and roll through the group to get clear. And if it's clear a dodge isn't going to get you clear, take the parry instead.

I don't think the dodge invincibility is mandatory by any means, the only things I think are mandatory are Sun and Moon, the arrow parry ability and the adrenaline for Signs ability.

Orv fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 22, 2015

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
I was expecting to dislike Dijkstra but dude is surprisingly well written. Commiserating with me over rejection from sorceresses was pretty :unsmith:

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Dodge more *short dodge not roll*, use potions, bombs crossbows and signs that aren't quen I barely get touched in any fights anymore once you get the flow and use your full toolkit.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Lord Lambeth posted:

Looks like nexus got around to putting up a mod site for Witcher 3

No nude mods yet.

The race for nude and never nude mods begins...

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Verranicus posted:

You look like a bell end dude.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Harrow posted:

Honestly, I don't know what this game wants from me on Blood and Broken Bones difficulty. Why can an equal-level enemy (I'm 6, it's 6) kill me in two hits? Three hits if I put Quen up. I just don't get the point of this. I wanted this challenging, not "save before every battle because you die in three hits, and if you get hit once you'll probably get hit again."

I also don't know why I refuse to turn it down--probably because I'm convinced I'm just playing wrong. It doesn't help that I'm just plain not finding better armor. Or, rather, every armor I can buy or craft in any shop in all of Velen is light and I'd really love some medium.

Be more aggressive. Every Witcher game has been like this. You may notice that you also three-hit or two-hit most humanoid enemies. This is not a game where you and an enemy stand next to each other and trade attacks until you win because you have better HP/damage/resists. Seriously in every game in the series the best way to not get hit is to kill the enemy as fast as possible.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

I'm playing on death march and haven't needed that skill. So far i've only got the passive regen one and a fast attack one, and can only slot the passive in since i'm still level 1. Took down that wraith thing outiside (and then inside) the cemetary last night.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Anyone mapped the short dodge, normally Alt to something else? I never use alt in games so it feels unnatural

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Verranicus posted:

I'm using that chest piece myself, or a different, identical one. Also I have gold pants.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Are the graphics settings pretty extensive? For some reason, Eastern European games normally give you very few configurable settings and are terribly optimized.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Are the graphics settings pretty extensive? For some reason, Eastern European games normally give you very few configurable settings and are terribly optimized.

There's a good amount of options. The nitty-gritty stuff requires some .ini file tweaking.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Extremely well optimized.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm really trying to give it the benefit of the doubt, but on console at least, this game has some of the worst controls I've ever experienced. I'm like 5 hours in and just hoping I finally warm up to them but I don't think it's going to happen. I'm willing to accept that it's just me but absolutely everything from the combat, to basic exploration, even little things like looting a box feel incredibly uncomfortable.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

megalodong posted:

I'm playing on death march and haven't needed that skill. So far i've only got the passive regen one and a fast attack one, and can only slot the passive in since i'm still level 1. Took down that wraith thing outiside (and then inside) the cemetary last night.

The Sun and Stars (or whatever, HP regen during daytime and Stamina at night) is extremely handy for the highest two difficulties where you don't regenerate HP from meditating. Otherwise you have to eat a lot of food and that gets very expensive on top of already pricey repairs.

If you're at least half-assed exploring you'll find a bunch of Places of Power and have more ability points than you can probably put in active slots at once, anyway.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

NESguerilla posted:

I'm really trying to give it the benefit of the doubt, but on console at least, this game has some of the worst controls I've ever experienced. I'm like 5 hours in and just hoping I finally warm up to them but I don't think it's going to happen. I'm willing to accept that it's just me but absolutely everything from the combat, to basic exploration, even little things like looting a box feel incredibly uncomfortable.

I've gotten used to the movement, camera, and combat controls, but looting can be really finnicky. I'm not sure if it's better with a mouse/keyboard, but I'm playing on PC with a 360 controller and looting can be a real pain. I don't have any complaints about there rest of the controls, though.

Pellisworth posted:

The Sun and Stars (or whatever, HP regen during daytime and Stamina at night) is extremely handy for the highest two difficulties where you don't regenerate HP from meditating. Otherwise you have to eat a lot of food and that gets very expensive on top of already pricey repairs.

If you're at least half-assed exploring you'll find a bunch of Places of Power and have more ability points than you can probably put in active slots at once, anyway.

I'm surprised Sun and Stars is good. I haven't taken it because I did the math and even at 10 vitality per second, it would take me a full three or four minutes to regen to full from half vitality, and that seems like such a slow rate as to be negligible. I'm clearly wrong.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Just started but I'm going to guess, or hope, that money isn't a thing. I don't want to spend all my money on bread to heal because I'm bad at the combat right now.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

Sorry, i was responding to the guy who asked if the dodge passive was required, but then it hit a new page and etc...

I got the sun and stars when i found that first place of power by the battlefield.

NESguerilla posted:

I really don't get the complaints about the combat controls. The rest I agree with, though I've managed to get used to them enough that they're just an irritation now, but what's wrong with the combat controls?

Metal Bear
Jun 18, 2014

So, all these dozens of various monster bits and brains that are littering my inventory, do I take these to an herbalist to sell, or do I want to hang on to them? 'Cause I have a lot of poo poo in my crafting materials inventory, and not many crowns.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Also is there a quicker way to meditate for 1 hour?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Harrow posted:

I'm surprised Sun and Stars is good. I haven't taken it because I did the math and even at 10 vitality per second, it would take me a full three or four minutes to regen to full from half vitality, and that seems like such a slow rate as to be negligible. I'm clearly wrong.

It's not amazing but it's one point and allows you to regain your health while just ridin' around on Roach. The alternative is buying and eating a bunch of food.

Metal Bear posted:

So, all these dozens of various monster bits and brains that are littering my inventory, do I take these to an herbalist to sell, or do I want to hang on to them? 'Cause I have a lot of poo poo in my crafting materials inventory, and not many crowns.

You can sell most of them, if they're vaulable or higher quality stuff hang onto it. If you have a stack of 5+ sell some of that off.

Keep in mind you don't need ingredients for each and every bomb/potion. You craft the item which comes with a number of charges, and then when you meditate your charges are replenished using alcohol.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 22, 2015

Orv
May 4, 2011

Harrow posted:

You might get less mileage out of it if you ride from PoI to PoI but as I've been doing everything on foot when not fast traveling or I know there's nothing between the places I'm traveling, it adds up a lot.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

If you're dying for money, you can do something. Dunno if it's a glitch or just something that CDPR didn't expect players to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVkup06zCs0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sR98XRDTYc

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Be more aggressive. Every Witcher game has been like this. You may notice that you also three-hit or two-hit most humanoid enemies. This is not a game where you and an enemy stand next to each other and trade attacks until you win because you have better HP/damage/resists. Seriously in every game in the series the best way to not get hit is to kill the enemy as fast as possible.

This has never been the case for me. Even the smaller enemies like ghouls or dogs take a good 4-6 hits.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

megalodong posted:

I really don't get the complaints about the combat controls. The rest I agree with, though I've managed to get used to them enough that they're just an irritation now, but what's wrong with the combat controls?
My problem with the combat isn't really the combat controls, but the way combat feels. For whatever reason, fighting guys just feels off. It's like the combat in this game is halfway between Dark Souls and Shadow of Mordor, and it doesn't really know which one it wants to be more and kind of just feels like junk.

There's also just some strange design decisions with regards to how Geralt controls. People have mentioned his extreme turn radius and movement issues, but I'm just wondering why there's even a Jump button in this game. If you're running towards a fence or a ledge or trying to scale a cliff, why not just have Geralt vault it automatically if you're holding down Run? Instead you have to deal with his awkward jump, which does not feel good at all to use. This is even worse when you're trying to jump things while on your horse.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Geralt moves way too awkwardly, which is an issue both in and out of combat (e.g. taking five minutes to reposition yourself to loot the thing you want to loot).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

megalodong posted:

The main thing that bugs me is that he seems to switch targets against my wishes constantly. Like I'll be locked on to something and he just loving turns around and hits some other enemy for no reason and the enemy I was trying to kill will stab me, which is usually an insta kill on a harder difficulty. Also the whole control scheme just changes when the game decides I'm in combat automatically, and I'll try and run or jump something and he just stays glued to an enemy. it's like the game is trying to play itself for me and failing miserably. It's like Asscreed but somehow even less intuitive .

Is there some dumb thing I'm missing or some way to actually manage this stuff manually? I feel like my enjoyment of this game would increase 10 fold if it just had a lock on system similar to Souls and I could just hold a button to go into combat mode instead of it being an automatic thing.

The rest of the controls are bad, but I agree they are more of an irritation than anything. The combat just feels totally out of my hands though. Some of the little things are baffling though. Like, loot and interact are the same button and he will just stop dead in his tracks while I'm running to interact with a sign or something, and the horse can't jump a 1 foot fence without hitting the jump button...The list goes on and on though.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 22, 2015

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
Best piece of dialog so far:

Geralt: Wait! This xenovox. Can I contact you with it or is it one way?

Keira: One way only IŽm afraid. YouŽll have to trust my feminine intuition.

Geralt: Your what? :confused:

Keira: My feminine intuition! :nyd:

Geralt: Wonderful... :smugbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Genocyber posted:

Geralt moves way too awkwardly, which is an issue both in and out of combat (e.g. taking five minutes to reposition yourself to loot the thing you want to loot).

Yeah, he controls in a really frustrating way. I wish he just moved in the direction you send him instantly instead of having to sluggishly turn. You can't just tap him forward either, he like, takes a huge step and even jumps really awkwardly. There's several times where I'm trying to click on something and literally having to fight with his movements to face it to do so.

The game is fun, don't get me wrong, but the movement could've been done better