Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Speaking of leases.

In February I moved into a house with four dudes so that I could save money. It worked and I'm about to get my own place for the Fall. I'll be 28 this year and I don't feel like living with a bunch of dummy undergrad-aged people.

I applied online for a lease for a 2br apartment in the area after visiting and really liking it. They got my $60 for the application fee (non-refundable ofc). Seemed like a great deal for an apartment; dog park on the property, they have a concierge that will come walk Monty in the event I can't get home in time to do so, W/D in unit, etc etc. Seemed like a great place and has the amenities that would make me feel better about living in an apartment with a dog.

I called them up to ask about the status of my application and they informed me that all of the 2br apartments have been leased already, and that I have to get something else.

So basically they hustled me out of $60. I'm gonna call them back tomorrow and try to get them to refund it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Die Antwoord is basically African Insane Clown Posse

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
That's a common scam here in Chicago. A leaser will put up an inexpensive looking place to rake in applications fees. Usually a listing that's up for a few days or a week is kind of suspect. Most anything good goes within a day or two.

What could've happened is that the leasing office took a bunch of people's applications while they were clearing them first come first serve. As soon as somebody passed the checks, they denied everyone who already applied.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

They're so loving weird but Yolandi has a rockin body, I'm so torn :ohdear:

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Yep.

Interviewer asks them if they are "concept art" mentions it, whatever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG9ZtQ3phoE&t=284s

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Oh god, the Dunsons...

Also, here's a list of movies going from and coming to Netflix in June.

Might watch Snatch and Silence of the Lambs one more time before it's gone, other than that, there's not a lot being dropped or added that I'm interested in.
Nightcrawler is a pretty drat good movie though and you should all watch it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Cole posted:

Speaking of leases.

In February I moved into a house with four dudes so that I could save money. It worked and I'm about to get my own place for the Fall. I'll be 28 this year and I don't feel like living with a bunch of dummy undergrad-aged people.

I applied online for a lease for a 2br apartment in the area after visiting and really liking it. They got my $60 for the application fee (non-refundable ofc). Seemed like a great deal for an apartment; dog park on the property, they have a concierge that will come walk Monty in the event I can't get home in time to do so, W/D in unit, etc etc. Seemed like a great place and has the amenities that would make me feel better about living in an apartment with a dog.

I called them up to ask about the status of my application and they informed me that all of the 2br apartments have been leased already, and that I have to get something else.

So basically they hustled me out of $60. I'm gonna call them back tomorrow and try to get them to refund it.

Here's some unsolicited advice: move the gently caress away from whatever college town you're in.

I wish I had done that while finishing my undergrad. I had a perfectly fine car, and had a commuter lot permit anyways. Would have saved me a ton on rent -- I was paying $630 a month for a 1BR shoebox when I could have rented a nice house for that much a town over.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Oh god, the Dunsons...

Might watch Snatch and Silence of the Lambs one more time before it's gone, other than that, there's not a lot being dropped or added that I'm interested in.

Syriana is great if anyone hasn't seen it yet. It's like The Wire but with USA/CIA/Middle East/Terrorism. ..Except there's no Omar because that would be fun instead of depressing. Not a lot of laughs, either.

For the upcoming stuff, Rosewater is the movie Jon Stewart made when he took a break from the Daily Show. No idea if it's any good. I'll watch it.
I feel asleep watching A Most Wanted Man in the theater.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Syriana is good. Also, fat George Clooney.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

OZYMANDICKASS posted:

Syriana is great if anyone hasn't seen it yet. It's like The Wire but with USA/CIA/Middle East/Terrorism. ..Except there's no Omar because that would be fun instead of depressing. Not a lot of laughs, either.

For the upcoming stuff, Rosewater is the movie Jon Stewart made when he took a break from the Daily Show. No idea if it's any good. I'll watch it.
I feel asleep watching A Most Wanted Man in the theater.

Syriana's fantastic, if horrifically depressing.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Syriana is great because of the lack of laughs. A few people who could actually change the middle east for the better come together through happenstance and might get something done. Then the US says "lol, nope" drones those guys and then an oil facility gets blown up by jihadists.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Oh god, the Dunsons...

Mind spoiling what happens in the last 5 minutes of nightcrawler? I watched it on a flight yesterday and everything got shut off for landing.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Mike-o posted:

They're so loving weird but Yolandi has a rockin body, I'm so torn :ohdear:

if she got a real haircut and stopped bleaching her eyebrows she would be a lot nicer looking. o yea also lay off the skag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cYeWX3-BoI

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Here's some unsolicited advice: move the gently caress away from whatever college town you're in.

I wish I had done that while finishing my undergrad. I had a perfectly fine car, and had a commuter lot permit anyways. Would have saved me a ton on rent -- I was paying $630 a month for a 1BR shoebox when I could have rented a nice house for that much a town over.

Im still in undergrad for another year and a half or so.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Off to drink a metric tonne of Dale's Pale Ale on the beach south of Nags Head this weekend. Y'all play nice.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Syriana is great because of the lack of laughs. A few people who could actually change the middle east for the better come together through happenstance and might get something done. Then the US says "lol, nope" drones those guys and then an oil facility gets blown up by jihadists.

from memory a lot of alpha protocol used it for inspiration

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Sometimes there's just a random forums thread that hits the spot.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Holly, I go to Raleigh regularly (even tho it's like 2.5 hrs away)

There is a whole Raleigh thread if you want to ask specific housing advice, but If you have questions about NC we can sort it out between the three of us.

Icon, There is a chance I'll be saying gently caress it and going to UNCW in the spring. Talk me off this ledge. It's either UNCW or ECU, and I might actually want to get a degree instead of wasting my time at East Carolina.

Carteret fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 22, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Carteret posted:

There is a whole Raleigh thread if you want to ask specific housing advice, but If you have questions about NC we can sort it out between the three of us.

Icon, There is a chance I'll be saying gently caress it and going to UNCW in the spring. Talk me off this ledge. It's either UNCW or ECU, and I might actually want to get a degree instead of wasting my time at East Carolina.

Cool. I'll check out the thread. I wouldn't go out there without a job offer on hand.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Carteret posted:

If there's any sort of contest between Wilmington and Greenville, Wilmington wins by an almost embarrassing margin without putting any effort in. What degree/program are you looking at?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Icon Of Sin posted:

If there's any sort of contest between Wilmington and Greenville, Wilmington wins by an almost embarrassing margin without putting any effort in. What degree/program are you looking at?

I figured as much. Just due to proximity I spent more time in Greenville than Wilmington growing up. Transferring with an associates of science looking to get into the Geology degree program. Word is the UNCW program is better, but far more competitive. ECU is... ECU. It's not hard to get in there.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Carteret posted:

I figured as much. Just due to proximity I spent more time in Greenville than Wilmington growing up. Transferring with an associates of science looking to get into the Geology degree program. Word is the UNCW program is better, but far more competitive. ECU is... ECU. It's not hard to get in there.

There's a transfer coordinator here for veterans that could probably give you some tips about getting in here, I'll pm you her name/email address. I don't know anything about the geology department here, but it can't be nearly as bad to get into as the nursing program. That's loving cutthroat :stare:

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Cole posted:

Im still in undergrad for another year and a half or so.

Come back to the xbone thread please tia.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

holocaust bloopers posted:

Well I've just read Neuromancer, which was a loving slog to get through. I have The Peripheral on my kindle. It'll be some time before I get to it, if at all.
If you don't like slow moving dramas about poor Americans made redundant by technology struggling to come to grips with a far future they can never fully understand, you should probably just go ahead and delete The Peripheral now. It's basically a novel length version of "Motzart in Mirrorshades".

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Mind spoiling what happens in the last 5 minutes of nightcrawler? I watched it on a flight yesterday and everything got shut off for landing.
His partner grows a pair and tries to use the threat of exposing his crimes as leverage, so Louis tricks him into walking into the line of fire and then films him bleeding out for television. Louis gets away with everything, nothing is learned, and he presumably goes on blackmailing that newslady into loving him until she kills herself or something. The movie closes with Louis franchising out his nightcrawler operation, telling the new hires that, "I won't ask you to do anything I wouldn't do."

I wasn't real happy with it.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Oryx And Crake is a very good novel. More speculative fiction than sci fi.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

I haven't got to that one yet, but from what I've heard, if you liked it you may as well give The Peripheral a shot. No one is going to make you finish it, after all.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Dead Reckoning posted:

I haven't got to that one yet, but from what I've heard, if you liked it you may as well give The Peripheral a shot. No one is going to make you finish it, after all.

It very well may be Gibson's style I don't like.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

I'm kind of fuzzy right now so I read "oxy and crack is very good"

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Professor Bling posted:

Society is freaking me out.

1. I wear plaid, flannel, and denim because I've worn them for years. Suddenly, it's "sexy" and "popular."

2. I grow a beard because I got out of the military and no longer am forced to shave twice a day (also I'm lazy) and, whaddya know, beards are suddenly sexy.

3. I have a gut because I brought myself back from "functional alcoholism" down to "college student" (also, as in point two, I'm lazy), then suddenly the "dad bod" is a thing, where having a gut and some body hair is considered sexy.

Through literally zero effort on my part, society has decided I'm one of the sexiest men alive.
What the gently caress.

This is like some kind of cosmic fuckin' joke. My favorite description of myself came from here, when someone told me I looked like Danny Trejo fathered a crack baby.

This is weird.

Which hipster do you most emulate?
Move to Portland you douchnozzle. Btw the news has told me beards are full of poop. I shaved mine and flushed it down the toilet. You should do the same.
In fact you should also shave your side burns above the ear, a la 80's hockey hair.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
"dadbod" is a joke like seapunk or bikini bridge you weirdos

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Booblord Zagats posted:

I just told her I'd just stop shaving my happy trail as a compromise. My greatest fear is getting fat because I know at 31 it will only get harder to lose weight from here on out

Horse-hockey!
I'm 37 and I'm in the best shape of my life.
It's only harder to lose weight because as you get older the hole called failure and despair inside you gets bigger and bigger and requires more beer and cheese to fill.
So decide you have to remain in top shape so that when you finally go murderhappy you can still strangle, gouge, and bash with your hands once the bullets are gone, blades are dull, and bludgeons cracked.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Ex Machina was legit as gently caress.

I for one welcome our sexy new robot overlords.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

My second time through college I took a class on sci fi literature and after the first week the professor got hit with sexual assault charges and was dropped as our prof. They brought in this crazy feminist professor who turned it into feminist sci fi class and changed the entire syllabus but one of the books was oryx and crake and that book is real good. A lot of Margaret atwood is boring feminist garbage but her sci fi stuff is top notch.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

The Rat posted:

Ex Machina was legit as gently caress.

I for one welcome our sexy new robot overlords.

Ex Machina is very loving good.

Fart Sandwiches posted:

My second time through college I took a class on sci fi literature and after the first week the professor got hit with sexual assault charges and was dropped as our prof. They brought in this crazy feminist professor who turned it into feminist sci fi class and changed the entire syllabus but one of the books was oryx and crake and that book is real good. A lot of Margaret atwood is boring feminist garbage but her sci fi stuff is top notch.

Yea I had to read it for a sci fi lit class that I'm taking now. I don't know much about Atwood. Oryx and Crake is very good. Good enough that I would read her other poo poo.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
jesus loving christ, i decide to jump on facebook to see what my old iraq buddies are up to after like 3 months of not using it. i see a god drat cross with a good friend of mine's name on it. fuuuuuuuucccccckkkkk gently caress everything. loving suck my loving dick this loving gay rear end world. loving killed himself and he wasn't even living far from me. god fuckign drat it i'm gonna get loving wasted tonight, gently caress everything. why the gently caress do people do this poo poo. why the gently caress do all us sadbrains fucks keep ventilating our skulls? god drat it i loving hate this lovely rear end world, gently caress you!

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i feel ya man almost everyone in my life has died or i've pushed them away due to alcoholism / depression

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Dingleberry posted:

Horse-hockey!
I'm 37 and I'm in the best shape of my life.
It's only harder to lose weight because as you get older the hole called failure and despair inside you gets bigger and bigger and requires more beer and cheese to fill.
So decide you have to remain in top shape so that when you finally go murderhappy you can still strangle, gouge, and bash with your hands once the bullets are gone, blades are dull, and bludgeons cracked.

This pep talk gave me a half chub

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
im surrounded by mormons

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Mike-o posted:

jesus loving christ, i decide to jump on facebook to see what my old iraq buddies are up to after like 3 months of not using it. i see a god drat cross with a good friend of mine's name on it. fuuuuuuuucccccckkkkk gently caress everything. loving suck my loving dick this loving gay rear end world. loving killed himself and he wasn't even living far from me. god fuckign drat it i'm gonna get loving wasted tonight, gently caress everything. why the gently caress do people do this poo poo. why the gently caress do all us sadbrains fucks keep ventilating our skulls? god drat it i loving hate this lovely rear end world, gently caress you!

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yes absolutely and she seems to be very much on the money. END BOOK SPOILER I do like the part where the autistic anti-god spazz basically gets proven wrong when the Crakers begin worshipping a statue of Snowman.

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 22, 2015

• Locked thread