Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Fellow Olympian goon here. The protest tonight was pretty big and started at west Olympia, lots of media out here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

im gay posted:

Fellow Olympian goon here. The protest tonight was pretty big and started at west Olympia, lots of media out here.

I lol'd at the story in the Olympian.

quote:

“I’m angry, I’m hurt, but mostly I’m disappointed that this town would be like this,” said Ayana Egans, 22, as she broke into tears.

loving greeners, dude.

http://www.theolympian.com/2015/05/21/3738676_protests-underway-following-police.html?rh=1

Dusty Baker 2 fucked around with this message at 05:44 on May 22, 2015

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
I graduated from Evergreen last year, so yeah, that poo poo was so common.

Blocking 4th Ave is always fun. People get PISSED.

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005
look at all those white people

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007
Why are people protesting when almost nothing is known at this point?

Bwee posted:

look at all those white people

i see this post a lot but what is it supposed to mean?

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

Two black guys got shot last night in my town after shoplifting from the local safeway:

http://www.theolympian.com/2015/05/21/3737619_two-suspected-shoplifters-shot.html?rh=1

Reports say they assaulted store personnel before running, but unfortunately I was actually right there when they left the store and they didn't touch anybody. They just skated off with their beer, but they never assaulted any store employees. I can't speak to the police confrontation itself, but I have been in contact with both Olympia PD and the local news and have told them both what I saw. OPD didn't seem to care, the news was very interested.

My housemate was also at the safeway and said the same thing, the people may have thrown the beer at the person chasing them, but they certainly didn't attack anyone. I'll be curious what the PD and city's response is going to be. Important to note that Olympia PD don't have bodycams or dashcams, so the shooting in question is going to be the testimony of the officers vs the testimony of the people shot.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
http://www.alternet.org/civil-liberties/brave-new-films-graphic-new-video-shows-how-cellphones-can-fight-police-brutality

quote:

Brave New Films' Graphic New Video Shows How Cellphones Can Fight Police Brutality

Cops have guns and fists, but citizens have cellphones.

“Police officers have known that video cameras are their worst enemy,” the narrator begins, as the opening footage gleaned from YouTube shows people being shot, punched, bludgeoned and pepper-sprayed. “I’m not shutting it off, officer,” a person says in one scene, after being stopped in his car. “Then you’re going to jail,” the cop replies.

The film note that for “every 1,000 people killed by police, one officer is convicted.” It concludes, “We need more police accountability, not less… Don’t let them take your rights… Do your civic duty… Film the police.”

Brave New Film's Baden also said that the ACLU of California has developed a new cellphone app that will automatically back up any video footage taken of police in the event the cops try to seize and destroy a citzen's cellphone. The app can be used anywhere in the country. The ACLU is building a network to share the videos with local advocates fighting police brutality.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

ATP_Power posted:

My housemate was also at the safeway and said the same thing, the people may have thrown the beer at the person chasing them, but they certainly didn't attack anyone. I'll be curious what the PD and city's response is going to be. Important to note that Olympia PD don't have bodycams or dashcams, so the shooting in question is going to be the testimony of the officers vs the testimony of the people shot.

It's funny how "they definitely didn't touch anyone!" can morph into "definitely assault" in like two posts.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

semper wifi posted:

It's funny how "they definitely didn't touch anyone!" can morph into "definitely assault" in like two posts.

Even if it is there doesn't seem to have been much point in shooting them they had beer, not ak's.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

semper wifi posted:

Explain to me how that's grounds for being shot.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

semper wifi posted:

That's exactly why I didn't take part in the protest.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007
It's not grounds for being shot at all. What it is is an insight to what kind of people they were, so when the police say that they were assaulted too, you can say "well, they had just attacked some other guy who only wanted his beer back, it makes sense that they might do worse to the cops trying to arrest them". If true, of course.

Just like how in the Mike Brown case you could immediately dismiss the hands-up story by looking at his behavior in the convenience store.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

semper wifi posted:

Ah yes, beer throwing. The ultra-violent crime plaguing the nation, that can only be responded to with deadly force.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

semper wifi posted:

It's not grounds for being shot at all. What it is is an insight to what kind of people they were, so when the police say that they were assaulted too, you can say "well, they had just attacked some other guy who only wanted his beer back, it makes sense that they might do worse to the cops trying to arrest them". If true, of course.

Throwing a beer can at a store clerk as you run off seems the least threatening thing you can do in that situation, other than just loving booking it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

semper wifi posted:

Just like how in the Mike Brown case you could immediately dismiss the hands-up story by looking at his behavior in the convenience store.

It doesn't matter if their actions meant lethal force was justified or not... You could tell what kind of people they were and that justifies the use of legal force.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

To clarify: my understanding is that they ditched the beer in the direction of someone chasing them, not deliberately throwing it at someone to try and injure them.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Josef bugman posted:

Even if it is there doesn't seem to have been much point in shooting them they had beer, not ak's.

The Mattybee posted:

Explain to me how that's grounds for being shot.

Rah! posted:

Ah yes, beer throwing. The ultra-violent crime plaguing the nation, that can only be responded to with deadly force.

His custom title isn't there for no reason, you know.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

tsa posted:

If just one person barricading themselves in? Wait it out. If a repeat of the LA bank robbery? Waiting it out isn't an option. Luckily those sorts of situations are rarer now because of the existence of SWAT teams (bank robbers are not morons and there's lots of evidence to suggest they take into account the probability of success).

Who gives a gently caress if heavily armed guys rob a bank. They didn't take hostages, they were trying to get away but since they were stealing the physical form of our god, dollar bills, they need to die because god forbid they get away with that FDIC insured money. They continued the shootout in a loving neighborhood. Yeah they shot first so back off since they were so heavily armored that service pistols weren't going to do poo poo. No, better just start spraying bullets everywhere and risk getting themselves killed because holy poo poo the money!

If there are hostages yes call SWAT. If the fear is someone might steal some loving money or flush their ounce of weed down the toilet before the cops can break down the door and flashbang a crib then people need to get their loving heads examined. Its just money. The idea of starting a shootout that bleeds into a neighborhood because they might get away with that money is deranged. The only reason a potential death level of force should be used is if someones life is in danger, the idea that we've reached a point where the thought of someone getting away (Detectives? What are they for again?) for stealing money or a TV or some beer so we need to shoot them before they can escape is completely loving revolting.

We value human life above all else unless someone steals some easily replaceable and most likely insured stuff. Then they need to die if there's a chance they might have to do something hard like investigate and try to find them after they got away! Just blow em away when you get the chance.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

semper wifi posted:

They're race traitors, you're only allowed to care if your skin colors match.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Toasticle posted:

Who gives a gently caress if heavily armed guys rob a bank. They didn't take hostages, they were trying to get away but since they were stealing the physical form of our god, dollar bills, they need to die because god forbid they get away with that FDIC insured money. They continued the shootout in a loving neighborhood. Yeah they shot first so back off since they were so heavily armored that service pistols weren't going to do poo poo. No, better just start spraying bullets everywhere and risk getting themselves killed because holy poo poo the money!

If there are hostages yes call SWAT. If the fear is someone might steal some loving money or flush their ounce of weed down the toilet before the cops can break down the door and flashbang a crib then people need to get their loving heads examined. Its just money. The idea of starting a shootout that bleeds into a neighborhood because they might get away with that money is deranged. The only reason a potential death level of force should be used is if someones life is in danger, the idea that we've reached a point where the thought of someone getting away (Detectives? What are they for again?) for stealing money or a TV or some beer so we need to shoot them before they can escape is completely loving revolting.

We value human life above all else unless someone steals some easily replaceable and most likely insured stuff. Then they need to die if there's a chance they might have to do something hard like investigate and try to find them after they got away! Just blow em away when you get the chance.

"The charge is bank robbery. Now, my caddie's chauffeur informs me that a bank is a place where people put money that isn't properly invested. Therefore, robbing a bank is tantamount to that most heinous of crimes, theft of money." - Judge Ron Whitey. It's amazing how on point Futurama was with that bit, I mean really we care ALOT about bank robberies and theft of easily replaceable assets.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Unless rich people steal it, then it's all cool and we give them more.

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009

quote:

Beer robbery

So, at best these two people are willing to steal (crime), flee (crime) and destroy property (crime). At worst, they're willing to do all those plus assault (also crime). I don't really have a problem with the cops in this case.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Which ones of those faces capital punishment charges anywhere in the USA?

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

KiteAuraan posted:

"The charge is bank robbery. Now, my caddie's chauffeur informs me that a bank is a place where people put money that isn't properly invested. Therefore, robbing a bank is tantamount to that most heinous of crimes, theft of money." - Judge Ron Whitey. It's amazing how on point Futurama was with that bit, I mean really we care ALOT about bank robberies and theft of easily replaceable assets.

19 officers received some kind police medal of valor in that robbery. 19 officers who risked their lives, lives of innocents (Their were people injured during this) to protect the theft of money is considered an act of valor.

100 pages ago I was scolded for for suggesting there are emergency responders who risk their lives trying to save people as some ludicrous idea. But risk your life to protect insured money? Medals for everyone! Yeah some bystanders got shot too but we got the money back. Priorities people. Yeah one of the guys bled out begging for help for an hour but saving his life was too dangerous.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Radish posted:

Which ones of those faces capital punishment charges anywhere in the USA?

I guess I should've been murdered when I shoplifted that candy bar at 13, who knew...

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009
None, and good thing too because neither of the dudes shot died!

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

This Jacket Is Me posted:

Right, because the cops were aiming for the leg, just like they do in action movies!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

We are constantly told by gun enthusiasts that you only shoot at things you want to destroy and that police don't do shots to incapacitate. So logically it's clear that the men in this case not dying is due to luck on their part rather than any sort of restraint on the officers who acted with lethal intent.

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009
They are, indeed, lucky. In a good chunk of the rest of the world, they would've had their hands or head cut off after they didn't die from the gunshot.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

That's impressively uninspired. At least put some effort into it.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

So, at best these two people are willing to steal (crime), flee (crime) and destroy property (crime). At worst, they're willing to do all those plus assault (also crime). I don't really have a problem with the cops in this case.

You are most likely "joking" but there is substantial amount of people who really don't have a problem with police actions because after all, they only deal with Criminals. It's an extremely destructive attitude and shouldn't be encouraged.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

semper wifi posted:

It's stupid LF poo poo and should be ignored, much like the people who post it.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

-Troika- posted:

It's stupid LF poo poo and should be ignored, much like the people who post it.

We have people in this thread unironically complaining that the police shot the North Hollywood gunman, what set of facts do you think could possibly come out that they wouldn't protest.

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009
I think it's pretty amazing that those people think 1.) that the assault was for throwing beer bottles and 2.) the suspects died and 3.) this altercation was about stealing beer, when they could have read the whole 500 word article posted right in this thread and found out that all that stuff is wrong. Triple lol because a couple people ITT apparantly were literal eye-witnesses to this :laffo:. And yet here we are, celebrating protests for some poo poo that surveilance footage, testimony and evidence is going to prove completely wrong in a few months, yet again. It's like clockwork, like some sort phases of the idiot version of the moon.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT
I think police shouldn't shoot people for stealing.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Jarmak posted:

We have people in this thread unironically complaining that the police shot the North Hollywood gunman, what set of facts do you think could possibly come out that they wouldn't protest.

And we have people in this thread furious constructing strawmen and bravely knocking them down.

Unironically

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

LorrdErnie posted:

I think police shouldn't shoot people for stealing.

You're loving insane! With that kind of talk you're likely to incite another hollywood bank robbery!

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The police should be less bad and more good.

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The police should be less bad and more good.

The behavior of the police is governed by a number of factors, two of which are internal institutional rules of conduct, and the processing of officers through the justice system of which they are an integral part. These two determinants of police-public interaction should be less bad and more good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Alligator Horse posted:

The behavior of the police is governed by a number of factors, two of which are internal institutional rules of conduct, and the processing of officers through the justice system of which they are an integral part. These two determinants of police-public interaction should be less bad and more good.
Why are you defending these monsters?

• Locked thread