Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I think it'd be funny if this section was all a totally benign way to get Hel's high priest to the Godsmoot and nothing bad happens.

Something bad will almost certainly happen but it would be funny if it didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

That was decidedly less organic than the last strip (the poor, battered fourth wall) and we'd already figured out that vampire Durkon knew where the Godsmoot was and was just going through the charade to get someone to say it in front of Roy, but still, good the ball is rolling. I don't know if the Godsmoot clerics have some other plan in mind, but if they're gathering up priests of Ressurection-casting quality presumably that'd be a force that could take on Xykon.

The new pace of updates is pretty impressive.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I am not sure my brain can cope with regular updates at this point in my life.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Personally I'm still not entirely convinced I haven't had a psychotic break and am just IMAGINING new pages.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

reignonyourparade posted:

Personally I'm still not entirely convinced I haven't had a psychotic break and am just IMAGINING new pages.

That tiger doesn't look like a stick figure of a tiger, so it's probably just a weird dream you're making.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Shugojin posted:

I think it'd be funny if this section was all a totally benign way to get Hel's high priest to the Godsmoot and nothing bad happens.

Something bad will almost certainly happen but it would be funny if it didn't.

I wouldn't discount it. If Hel is like The Dark One it's possible she would try for diplomacy first by sending her high priest to negotiate a higher standing in the pantheon somehow. Then the 'Good' Gods would refuse her for the sake of status quo, and we'd have the moral ambiguity Rich loves so much.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Considering that as soon as they reach the place Roy will want to know why Durkon isn't asking a nice priest about a Resurrection, I imagine the pretense of cooperation ends then.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

blizzardvizard posted:

I wouldn't discount it. If Hel is like The Dark One it's possible she would try for diplomacy first by sending her high priest to negotiate a higher standing in the pantheon somehow. Then the 'Good' Gods would refuse her for the sake of status quo, and we'd have the moral ambiguity Rich loves so much.

I think Hel will be another exception to the Moral Ambiguity rule, the same way as Xykon or the Archfiends.

edit: actually, thinking about it, the Dark One and Redcloak are the only villains who are really at all sympathetic

cargohills fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 22, 2015

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The Dark One has a legitimate complaint. Hel's just evil.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
I'm not sure if my weak heart can take this pace of updates. I feel exhausted.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pope Guilty posted:

The Dark One has a legitimate complaint. Hel's just evil.

Hel, in the actual myth at least, had some pretty legitimate grievances really. Like being made to live all alone and rule over the dishonored dead because she was ugly, the various kinslayings (one of the worst crimes possible) the gods committed against her family (I think that's also why Loki did some of the more heinous poo poo he did actually, the gods killing some kids of his or something, which was considered kinslaying since he and Odin were blood-brothers; I need to find the specifics on this though, but a friend familiar with this said this was a big part of the Ragnarok, since the gods had sown their own destruction in multiple ways and that was one of them), and so on. Heck, she's not even supposed to be evil, just stern and unpleasant because, you know, exiled to the far reaches of nowhere because we don't like looking at her, if I recall correctly.

Also Redcloak is a genocidal rear end in a top hat and a major hypocrite, so screw him.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

'that could have been money I spent on a nice cameo', haha

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
All of Loki's kids got pretty hosed over. Hel's brothers are the world-surrounding snake, Odin's eight legged horse and a giant wolf who kicks off the end of the world.

She was born literally half dead and rotting.

Norse Mythology!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zore posted:

All of Loki's kids got pretty hosed over. Hel's brothers are the world-surrounding snake, Odin's eight legged horse and a giant wolf.

She was born literally half dead and rotting.

Norse Mythology!

A giant wolf who's chained up for being a giant wolf, I might add.

Well, also because he was prophesied to kill some gods and all, but that ended up being the gods' fault actually; prior to their attempts to trap Fenrir, he didn't really have any quarrel with them, and in fact they were the ones raising him. However, when he was big enough that they all got worried about said prophecy coming true, they decided to trap him, framing it as a game. He went along with it, breaking out again and again, but he caught on to their plans and, when they came up something that could actually trap him, well, that led to the incident with him biting off Tyr's hand. And then being bound for so long filled him with hate and, well, when Ragnarok comes and he gets loose...

Basically the Norse gods are kind of assholes. Loki and his kin are far from blameless, mind, (well, mostly Loki; again, a lot of his kids were wronged first, and in the case of Hel she still put up with the gods for a while after what they did) but I remember Ragnarok being described more or less as the gods getting what was coming to them for past bullshit. Not entirely sure how widely-accepted this interpretation is, but I like it at least.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mythology is an attempt to make sense of the world, and the ancients were acutely aware of the fact that the world is an unjust and unforgiving place. This is reflected in their stories.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Basically the Norse gods are kind of assholes. Loki and his kin are far from blameless, mind, (well, mostly Loki; again, a lot of his kids were wronged first, and in the case of Hel she still put up with the gods for a while after what they did) but I remember Ragnarok being described more or less as the gods getting what was coming to them for past bullshit. Not entirely sure how widely-accepted this interpretation is, but I like it at least.

The gods sowing the seeds of their own demise is a major theme in Norse mythology, yes.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I just realized that I'm going to be pretty sad when they get rid of Vampire Durkon.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Really? He's kind of a flat character on his own. The experience of being vampirized is important to Durkon's arc, but unless we learn more about Hel and the vampire spirit turns out to be more than just some negative energy moulded into a Durkon shape there's not much to it.

The vampire is also pretty lucky that this favored soul elf doesn't have the standard religious teaching that'd clue her into a vampire's true nature. Even those gnome priests earlier knew better.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?
It seems pretty strange that the combined forces of the Western and elven gods would only send one representative to this meeting, especially since she's not even a real cleric to boot (and seems like sort of a ditz). If it is a meeting to deal with Xykon, either they don't want it to succeed or they're preparing their own alternative plan. Maybe they're going to escape through the already-open rift on the Western continent?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ponsonby Britt posted:

It seems pretty strange that the combined forces of the Western and elven gods would only send one representative to this meeting, especially since she's not even a real cleric to boot (and seems like sort of a ditz). If it is a meeting to deal with Xykon, either they don't want it to succeed or they're preparing their own alternative plan. Maybe they're going to escape through the already-open rift on the Western continent?
I think the dwarf clerics just didn't say what it was about, just claiming it was very important, and she was the only one willing to go somewhere freezing far away out in the middle of nowhere for the sake of some dwarves nobody has ever met and are probably just a bunch of self important fools who are worrying about their beer running out or got their beards entangled. Far too busy and important to bother with that.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Dolash posted:

Really? He's kind of a flat character on his own. The experience of being vampirized is important to Durkon's arc, but unless we learn more about Hel and the vampire spirit turns out to be more than just some negative energy moulded into a Durkon shape there's not much to it.

The vampire is also pretty lucky that this favored soul elf doesn't have the standard religious teaching that'd clue her into a vampire's true nature. Even those gnome priests earlier knew better.

I'm not entirely sure that she doesn't. If you read what she says carefully, along with the bodyguard's question, it's consistent with both of them knowing what vampires are like but not realizing that Roy doesn't. The way Roy introduced it, they might think he's friends with Durkon as a vampire, not that Durkon-not-a-vampire WAS his friend. It's also consistent with her not knowing how vampires work, though, so it could go either way.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Didn't Rich post a while back that the true nature of vampirism was pretty much unknown even to religious organizations?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

I clicked without checking the url and only realized what I was clicking after the fact. You totally would have gotten me :golfclap:

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
It would only be fair if someone would buy him an OotS avatar about tricking people for that.

e X fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 22, 2015

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Ponsonby Britt posted:

It seems pretty strange that the combined forces of the Western and elven gods would only send one representative to this meeting, especially since she's not even a real cleric to boot (and seems like sort of a ditz).

She's somewhere between level 14 and 16, so she's not exactly small time. 14 to cast level seven spells as a favored soul, less than 17 not to have big, goofy wings.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

She said "the" favored soul of her god - does each god get one favored soul?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

MikeJF posted:

Not necessarily. Favored soul is to cleric as sorcerer is to wizard.

Although, Durkula really did overthink this (which I get is part of the joke). But still, a more practical Durkula could have gone, "Good news, Roy! While I was praying, Thor told me about a big ol' Godsmeet up in the mountains! Let's go!"

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Durkula gets a pass on being a vamprie because he's 100% in favor of supporting the pary and helping them save the world--his only "sidequest" he's been pushing is turning himself back to a dwarf. As soon as he starts trying to convince people to stop trying to save the world to go to some place hundreds of miles away that only he knows about because of reasons only he can vouch for, he's gonna drop a few dozen notches on the credibility scale. Even now Roy's been lurking outside of his room suspiciously, and he's been a model party member.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

MikeJF posted:

It would make sense they are supposed to be special.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Mystic Mongol posted:

Even now Roy's been lurking outside of his room suspiciously, and he's been a model party member.

That one time or were there other times?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Mystic Mongol posted:

Durkula gets a pass on being a vamprie because he's 100% in favor of supporting the pary and helping them save the world--his only "sidequest" he's been pushing is turning himself back to a dwarf. As soon as he starts trying to convince people to stop trying to save the world to go to some place hundreds of miles away that only he knows about because of reasons only he can vouch for, he's gonna drop a few dozen notches on the credibility scale. Even now Roy's been lurking outside of his room suspiciously, and he's been a model party member.

That's a pretty good point. Welp. Guess I'm not nearly paranoid to be a PC.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Capfalcon posted:

That's a pretty good point. Welp. Guess I'm not nearly paranoid to be a PC.

Yeah, you wouldn't last 5 rounds in Tomb of Horrors

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Raenir Salazar posted:

That one time or were there other times?

We've only seen him spying that one time, but between that and the fact that Roy's spent all his time in gnomeland following Durkula around it's safe to assume he's keeping pretty close watch over the undead monster. He's been all smiles and emotional support, but remember the conversation with V--Roy doesn't trust Durkula, and while D was allowed to wander about the ship, ever since they hit a populated area Roy's never been more than ten feet away.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Capfalcon posted:

Not necessarily. Favored soul is to cleric as sorcerer is to wizard.

Although, Durkula really did overthink this (which I get is part of the joke). But still, a more practical Durkula could have gone, "Good news, Roy! While I was praying, Thor told me about a big ol' Godsmeet up in the mountains! Let's go!"

Also, like Sorcerors, Favored Souls use Charisma instead of Wisdom to cast spells, which explains the whole "really very nice but not given much to thinking things through" aspect she has.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Imagine the conversation that's going to happen when she meets Elan.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Too alike. They'll get into an ecumenical dispute concerning Banjo's exact theological status and spend the whole trip glaring at each other from across the ship.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Dolash posted:

Too alike. They'll get into an ecumenical dispute concerning Banjo's exact theological status and spend the whole trip glaring at each other from across the ship.

Right up until one of them sees something shiny.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

Dolash posted:

That or she'd promise to find a way to make Banjo a member of the Elvish pantheon.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

MikeJF posted:

It's probably just because her god is "really minor".

There's probably another explanation forthcoming, but for now I like to think this is because she was literally written into the creation at the behest of a single person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Rumda posted:

It would make sense they are supposed to be special.

She said it was a minor diety (like say a kickstarter backer), so said god might not be able to have more than one Favoured Soul.

Also I guess people were right to comment on how low wisdom she seemed to be for a Cleric. :v:

e;fb