Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Guest2553 posted:

:aaaaa:

My rear end in a top hat instinctively puckered reading that. He's gonna get the hate-gently caress the NSA wishes they could give to Snowden.

e: :captainpop: also seems strangely appropriate

He claims, among other things, that the Vanguard-class have a maximum safe depth of 65 meters. It's entirely possible that he's totally full of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Phanatic posted:

He claims, among other things, that the Vanguard-class have a maximum safe depth of 65 meters. It's entirely possible that he's totally full of poo poo.

It's more likely that he's the typical boot who thinks that they know everything and are the only sane person holding the entire organization together.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

ManMythLegend posted:

It's more likely that he's the typical boot who thinks that they know everything and are the only sane person holding the entire organization together.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
This is a story that belongs in this thread.

tl;dr - Airborne SGT comes back from Afghanistan wounded, on the way to meet his fiance and parents get surprised at his hometown airport by the media, the VFW, and the American Legion for a "heroes welcome."

Turns out said SGT isn't a SGT, he's a SPC, he's never been to jump school, he wasn't wounded, and he has a wife back at his home station (not the "fiance").

loving lol

e: story is 5 years old, don't care, still hilarious

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 07:14 on May 22, 2015

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Victor Vermis fucked around with this message at 07:41 on May 23, 2015

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Phanatic posted:

Probably mistook it for the safe depth for missile launch or something. :v:

He also claimed the extent of the damage to Vanguard after the sumberged collision with Le Triomphant (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Vanguard_and_Le_Triomphant_submarine_collision) on patrol in 2009 is being "hushed up".

I remember reading about that in the newspapers at the time.
One of the stories felt it was relevant to mention "bad weather and poor visibility in the area". I'm not a submariner, but I don't think surfance weather matters much for two submerged subs on deterrence patrols...

It is a cool story about just how silent these boats are though, that they can litterally run into each other with no clue that the other is even there.

the wiki page posted:

Hervé Morin, France's Minister of Defence, said that they "face an extremely simple technological problem, which is that these submarines are not detectable".

Caconym fucked around with this message at 09:43 on May 22, 2015

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Caconym posted:

I remember reading about that in the newspapers at the time.
One of the stories felt it was relevant to mention "bad weather and poor visibility in the area". I'm not a submariner, but I don't think surfance weather matters much for two submerged subs on deterrence patrols...

It depends on the depth of the sub.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

ded posted:

It depends on the depth of the sub.

Yes, but I somehow doubt cruising depth for a boomer on deterrence patrol is at periscope depth.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

ManMythLegend posted:

he outright says so at one point, when he disagrees with a procedure and says 'WELL I THINK this is a much bigger threat than that'

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/california/Pilot-Forced-to-Eject-in-Coronado-Landing-304761211.html

How to turn a jet into a submarine

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Someone's going to be an ATC

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Those wily Naval Air Forces pilots, always getting into shenanigans.

loving "journalists..."

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/27/politics/live-anthrax-us-military-sent-inadvertently/

"It's OK to send this anthrax via Fed Ex. They're inert, after all"

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

canyoneer posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/27/politics/live-anthrax-us-military-sent-inadvertently/

"It's OK to send this anthrax via Fed Ex. They're inert, after all"

Those shots were totally worth it now.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

"sargent my gun dont work"

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Guest2553 posted:

"sargent my gun dont work"

Please tell me the mechanism just broke.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Affi posted:

Please tell me the mechanism just broke.

Looking at how dinged up that brass is, I'm guessing it's just someone loving around for a dumb picture.

BUT REMEMBER HOW DUMB JOE IS HURF DURF.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Probably STDH.txt, but funny anyway. I imagine it's not as simple for someone to adjust the course on a ship, but idk cause I'm no sailor.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

A Man With A Plan posted:

Probably STDH.txt, but funny anyway. I imagine it's not as simple for someone to adjust the course on a ship, but idk cause I'm no sailor.

My rear end in a top hat first CO would scream his head off at the bridge team if we lost the TV satellite due to stupid reasons like not wanting to collide with another ship.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

it probably happened, course corrections have been made for dumber reasons

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

krispykremessuck posted:

it probably happened, course corrections have been made for dumber reasons

:laffo: I'm dying.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Not for these exact reasons, but I have totally done this before.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I don't even remember seeing any portholes on the ship I did my deployment on. And the officer's mess, chief's mess, and the regular galley were all pretty much middle of the ship with the berthings being the closest things to the skin. There were tiny windows in some of the outermost hatches but that was about it. What kind of ship was this guy on you figure?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Blackchamber posted:

I don't even remember seeing any portholes on the ship I did my deployment on. And the officer's mess, chief's mess, and the regular galley were all pretty much middle of the ship with the berthings being the closest things to the skin. There were tiny windows in some of the outermost hatches but that was about it. What kind of ship was this guy on you figure?

Probably a submarine.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Blackchamber posted:

Frigates and cruisers both have portholes in the wardroom. They're the only ships I can think of that have them though.

Edit: based on the layout of the tables, and placement of the phones in the spaces I figure the story took place on a cruiser or, if it's a pretty old story, a SPRUANCE class destroyer since they have pretty much the same layout as a cruiser from the 01 level down.

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 06:56 on May 31, 2015

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Or it's fake.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I remember one time I was sitting at my desk doing office stuff and the sun was in my eyes so I called the front desk and had them rotate the entire building. Then I winked at the camera and said "that's all folks!"

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Don't care; laughed.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

It could be, but honestly it's incredibly plausible.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

For real, U.S. naval officers are definitely the types that would pull that.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ManMythLegend posted:

It could be, but honestly it's incredibly plausible.

My favorite part is the implication that the guy on the other end of the line knew what he was asking for before he finished asking for it, which means they've done it at least once before, and more likely, repeatedly. :downs:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Thump! posted:

For real, U.S. naval officers are definitely the types that would pull that.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

the wardroom on the last ship I was on had both portholes and a cordless phone that was velcroed to the table, and we frequently ran north/south barpats for amio/drug interdiction poo poo so on it's face it's not only plausible, but believable. also, if we ran due east on our course the mast would block the inmarsat poo poo or w/e so no internet. I've seen captains stand on the stern to adjust the helm for schools of fish, the ops boss doing it because the sun was in his eyes is completely believable and probably happened

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

krispykremessuck posted:

the wardroom on the last ship I was on had both portholes and a cordless phone that was velcroed to the table, and we frequently ran north/south barpats for amio/drug interdiction poo poo so on it's face it's not only plausible, but believable. also, if we ran due east on our course the mast would block the inmarsat poo poo or w/e so no internet. I've seen captains stand on the stern to adjust the helm for schools of fish, the ops boss doing it because the sun was in his eyes is completely believable and probably happened

I've never been happier to be wrong about claiming stdh than with this.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Terrorist ‘moron’ reveals ISIS HQ in online selfie; U.S. Air Force promptly destroys compound

Just gotta get those facebook likes.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It's about as moronic to reveal the source tbh.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I too get my news from the Moonies.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

evil_bunnY posted:

Between this and the fact that it's in the Washington Times it's bullshit.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

evil_bunnY posted:

Propaganda victory? ISIS has got to be leaking like a sieve, I doubt they're giving anything away by publishing this. Iran is also heavily pushing the "ISIS is a Three Stooges shitshow" line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

And hell, this could be the cover story.