Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
On a more positive note cum race pc cars milords. I will be there after my waffle pbj sandy is made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

im making a sandwich and then i will play

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Holy crap going to a 900 degree wheel from a 270 wheel is a mindfuck.

It took me like 20 minutes just to train myself not to shift too low in hairpins because I might not be able to get back to the paddle in time when I hit the gas.

Gonna take me days to get my racing legs back, this is quite a shift from "we call it a sim but it's still bit gamey" Forza. I never realized how much the game was actually doing for the driver.

Tire squeals really need their own audio slider, I can barely hear them.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Agreed. They should honestly seperate out all the audio like engine and break noise and give you sliders for all of them.

Norns fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 22, 2015

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
Their forums have people saying that separate audio sliders for things like tires are "on the list" which I hope is still further down the list from "get the racing HUD to stop being poo poo".

I may be a little bitter about the HUD.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Essobie posted:

Their forums have people saying that separate audio sliders for things like tires are "on the list" which I hope is still further down the list from "get the racing HUD to stop being poo poo".

I may be a little bitter about the HUD.

Admittedly, they have like 6 months til a consumer VR is out there, but I really want to see a UI worth a poo poo in that as well. In-cockpit at least needs to have that chat available, so you know what people are saying. And maybe indicators for things that aren't in the car already, like if you have a flag and need to pit or a fuel gauge in those that don't display it. Audio sliders would be helpful as well, along with allowing you to get into options without quitting a race.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Cacator posted:

Bought this game a few days ago (PS4) and have some basic questions:

1. Is there a way to save your custom HUD permanently? It only stays on for the current race. You'd think it would save afterwards since it asks you if you want to save it...
2. Is there an AI setting where they aren't complete maniacs who will drive into you at every opportunity?

I just wanted to follow up on this, I've restarted the same Formula Rookie race (2/2) about fifty times now because starting from the back it's impossible to finish the race without an AI car ramming me off the road. loving hell

PSN: CercleRouge

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I don't think there's anyway currently to save your hud layout.

As far as the race, are you running your practice and qualifications? If not you really should. Even just 10 minutes in practice will help you dial in your line so that you can get a good time in the quals.

Try not to pass them in that first turn, hang back and pass them once they've actually formed a race line.

They will slam you if you're braking hard into turns. It helps to lay off the throttle before the turn and try to brake smoothly if you have to.

Draven fucked around with this message at 07:34 on May 22, 2015

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Here's what I will say: God drat does it look and feel good to drive at 10x Time Progression from 4:00 am to 7:00 am. Especially with light fog or just haze. Like, I took some Caterhams to the Azure Circut. It fuckin' looks/feels nice. Especially with no HUD.

Side note: When's snow coming in as a pickable option.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I've been busy with work stuff, but does online have 'track days/hangouts' like GT5/6 had? Used to like practicing with randoms on certain tracks. Not even tried MP yet but that would beat me praciticing offline, alone.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Smelly posted:

As far as the race, are you running your practice and qualifications? If not you really should. Even just 10 minutes in practice will help you dial in your line so that you can get a good time in the quals.

Try not to pass them in that first turn, hang back and pass them once they've actually formed a race line.

They will slam you if you're braking hard into turns. It helps to lay off the throttle before the turn and try to brake smoothly if you have to.

Yeah, get right behind opponents and don't try to pass everyone at once. If you get greedy or misjudge your clearance you'll end up without a wheel 90% of the time in open wheel cars. You will end up having to go slower than you want while waiting for an opportunity to pass so bear that in mind.

With the HUD all I want is to not have to quit the session and go to the options screen to reenable it after using observe mode in practice and qualifying because that makes it turn off for some reason.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Smelly posted:

There isn't; pretty sure it's a known issue. I'm sure it'll get sorted, but I hope they're prioritizing more game breaking problems unless it's an easy fix. I threw in the towel some time ago and just stick with the default layout (I've only had to move the track map once or twice since thanks to a sunset/sunrise ending up right behind it so I couldn't even see it).

On a related note: Spa is all sorts of hosed at sunrise or sunset (forget which... think it was sunset). Goons in their infinite desire for painful weather conditions would love it since the sun is perfectly positioned to be blinding you for ~1/3 the track, including multiple turn entries.

njsykora posted:

Yeah, get right behind opponents and don't try to pass everyone at once. If you get greedy or misjudge your clearance you'll end up without a wheel 90% of the time in open wheel cars. You will end up having to go slower than you want while waiting for an opportunity to pass so bear that in mind.

With the HUD all I want is to not have to quit the session and go to the options screen to reenable it after using observe mode in practice and qualifying because that makes it turn off for some reason.
Pro tip for big passing first turn (assuming it's fairly tight... looser turns usually don't work because things don't get so bunched up): set yourself up to be in the innermost line (occasionally the grass is even fair game) of the clusterfuck. Often the AI will get all jumbled together leaving a gap inside on exit and will be going slow enough due to jostling each other so that, even though you lost a lot of speed cutting the corner really tight, you ought to be able to pass some (at the very least the ones that got pushed off the track outside).

That said, I also second the opinion you should also being doing Practice/Qualifying (especially for a new car or track, never mind that sometimes minor setup tweaks can shave seconds off your lap times because the Defaults occasionally have terrible gear ratios or something else silly) such that you shouldn't have to deal with starting from mid-to-deep pack anyway. I've recently been contemplating bumping the AI up to 90 or 100 because of how often I'm now able to qualify on the pole (or just off of it) and roll to victory without ever dropping a spot (the inconsistency of AI depending on car/track being the main deterrent as there seems to be occasionally large variance between invitationals and I don't want to change difficulty every race :effort:).

You can bind a key to cycle HUD elements (was left D-pad by default on my controller for me I believe), it goes: full HUD, full minus HUD rear-view mirror, just speedometer, telemetry, no-UI at all. It works to bring back the HUD without exiting out when it gets cleared during Practice/Qualifying (and, yes, pretty sure the bug is tied to using the Monitor to watch other cars).

bUm fucked around with this message at 11:09 on May 22, 2015

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
I have three big complaints about the HUD not saving correctly. The first is that the default HUD has important elements right in the middle of my triple monitor bezels (first world problems). The second is that even if I edit where they go, the editing is all sorts of hosed up when your aspect ratio is 48:10 instead of 16:10 or 9. The third is that if I want the virtual rear view, I will always have to cycle to it every race... which I think is what you are talking about, bUm. It WILL remember if you are in regular HUD, telemetry, or no HUD, but it will not remember what version of regular HUD you are in for some unknown reason.

I've sort of taken the third complaint to just remembering to hit left D-pad a few times to get my mirror up before the green lights hit, but I can't be bothered to rearrange elements pre-race when 1) I know it won't safe and 2) it is so horribly inaccurate.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

bUm posted:

That said, I also second the opinion you should also being doing Practice/Qualifying (especially for a new car or track, never mind that sometimes minor setup tweaks can shave seconds off your lap times because the Defaults occasionally have terrible gear ratios or something else silly) such that you shouldn't have to deal with starting from mid-to-deep pack anyway. I've recently been contemplating bumping the AI up to 90 or 100 because of how often I'm now able to qualify on the pole (or just off of it) and roll to victory without ever dropping a spot (the inconsistency of AI depending on car/track being the main deterrent as there seems to be occasionally large variance between invitationals and I don't want to change difficulty every race :effort:).

You can bind a key to cycle HUD elements (was left D-pad by default on my controller for me I believe), it goes: full HUD, full minus HUD rear-view mirror, just speedometer, telemetry, no-UI at all. It works to bring back the HUD without exiting out when it gets cleared during Practice/Qualifying (and, yes, pretty sure the bug is tied to using the Monitor to watch other cars).

OK the HUD cycle key is a revelation to me, maybe now I'll actually use the monitor. As for difficulty I've taken to just bumping it up slightly when I'm completely dominating every race in my main discipline and then just letting invitationals go how they will because I don't think there's any punishment for doing badly in invitationals so long as you're doing well in your actual contract. I'm up to 70 right now.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

widespread posted:

Side note: When's snow coming in as a pickable option.

I don't know, but goon racing would be fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2g6sTSbxBU
Formula car doing the ring in the snow. (phone posting)

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
So here's a question for all of you racing with a game pad, are any of you able to race the higher power cars with all the assists off? I think I've hit a wall in terms of what I can do with assists off, there's just not enough depth to the trigger pull to put the power down in a reasonable fashion so I'm not squirrely coming out of the corners. I have to be super deliberate about it and I can tell I'm losing time coming out of the corners. I think it need to go turn traction control on or something.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Jovial Cow posted:

So here's a question for all of you racing with a game pad, are any of you able to race the higher power cars with all the assists off? I think I've hit a wall in terms of what I can do with assists off, there's just not enough depth to the trigger pull to put the power down in a reasonable fashion so I'm not squirrely coming out of the corners. I have to be super deliberate about it and I can tell I'm losing time coming out of the corners. I think it need to go turn traction control on or something.

Don't forget that some cars are designed to have traction control. If you set it to real assist it will only have ones that are on the car anyway. Modern F1 cars don't have it as its not allowed in the rules but some of the older version do have it.
Some of the fast cars are just a handful even with the wheel. I find controlling oversteer once it occurs is very difficult with the pad though I don't have oversteer help on.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Bigsteve posted:

Don't forget that some cars are designed to have traction control. If you set it to real assist it will only have ones that are on the car anyway. Modern F1 cars don't have it as its not allowed in the rules but some of the older version do have it.
Some of the fast cars are just a handful even with the wheel. I find controlling oversteer once it occurs is very difficult with the pad though I don't have oversteer help on.

I didn't even notice a real assist option, I'll have to look for that.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Jovial Cow posted:

I didn't even notice a real assist option, I'll have to look for that.

While in real life most modern cars have traction control, when they are being raced all of those assists are turned off anyway.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Pretty sure that's not true.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Norns posted:

Pretty sure that's not true.

Well, I'm speaking more in terms of road cars here. People aren't going to take their road cars on a track and leave their traction control on. Spec Miatas for example have to have the ABS disabled. Also the interference of traction control systems can make doing autocross unpredictable. I did just look up traction control and le mans and discovered that it is in fact allowed on le mans cars which is very surprising to me. (The only racing I follow religiously is F1 where it's been banned for years)

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Gt3 allows abs and TCS.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Yeah but F1 is loving dumb (I love it)

WEC is starting to pull me in with the tech. Also the LMP1 cars are silly fun in this.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Any EU PS4 goons up for some goonracing tonight? I'll be online on PS4 for a while, if I'm playing something else just yell at me.

PSN_id: AzMiLion

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I turned real assists on and I like it. I also really like my xbone controls right now... but ffb is nooot good. It's buggy, it causes severe perfirmance stuttering in the dirt, and it is not accurate to what is happening with the car. Turning it completely off eliminated 90% of my oversteer spins with a controller and I've felt much more comfortable taking corners. This is a really stupid loving game, but it's worth it. I love our goon races

kaiwero
Aug 22, 2006

Poison Jam posted:

:siren:If you are on PS4 please, please, post your PSN ID:siren:

PSN: Kaiwero

Looking to pick up a wheel as I can't handle the controller anymore, will likely be poo poo. Turns out the city I'm in has no wheels left for sale because of Project Cars...

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

xzzy posted:

Holy crap going to a 900 degree wheel from a 270 wheel is a mindfuck.

It took me like 20 minutes just to train myself not to shift too low in hairpins because I might not be able to get back to the paddle in time when I hit the gas.

Gonna take me days to get my racing legs back, this is quite a shift from "we call it a sim but it's still bit gamey" Forza. I never realized how much the game was actually doing for the driver.

Tire squeals really need their own audio slider, I can barely hear them.

If you use a wheel in Forza 4 or 5, it's definitely as sim-my as this game is (in regards to driving feel. Obviously not as much in the mechanical failures, etc. end of things.)

If you use a controller, it's never going to be even close because the limited range of motion in a left stick means the game HAS to fix problems for controller users, or steering corrections would be impossibly finicky.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I played all of the first four Forza games with a wheel, skipped the xbone one. I can't really put a finger on it but driving in pcars feels "heavier." Cars feel like they have a lot less grip on cold rubber to me, and I think Forza nailed the feeling of speed a lot better. End result is pcars feels slower and more slippery, even though I guess it's probably about the same.

A lot of it is probably acclimating to a 900 degree wheel, but I don't think that's the whole story.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
It probably is the 900 degrees, none of the Forzas until late-patch 4 did that right (bug issue that was hard to prove/fix) and when I switched from the MS Wireless Wheel at 270 degrees to the Fanatec capable of 900, it was a whole week of relearning how to drive (well, re-learning how to correct slides/loss of rear traction without tankslapping.)

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The thing I enjoy about this more than all other games is that it gets what it feels like to drive right. So many games like GT and even pc sims try to make things "realistic" by reducing grip. No, sorry gt5 or rfactor 2, going 45 miles an hour around a bend equivalent to a highway on ramp does not make you slide everywhere in a slow rear wheel drive car.

Up until project cars, Assetto Corsa and Forza were the only games that really felt like driving a car, and after getting the FFB tuned, project cars is even better.

I imagine with a controller it's much harder.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I really don't find it that difficult with a controller, i watch videos of people struggling and they're either braking too late or especially being in the wrong gear or changing gear when weight is shifting.. the trigger offers the same throttle sensitivity as a foot on a pedal imo and that's the most important thing. I keep my range at 180 which is the same as forza and assetto corsa's default.. I've yet to feel the need for more range on the race track

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Came across a new and interesting beast thanks to an invitational: the Ford Capri Zakspeed Gr.5. Had a choice of it and the BMW Gr.5 car and decided to try it out since I'd already done an invitational with the BMW. I ended up practicing for a half hour just playing with it because I feel like the car has the downforce to handle very high speed turns without raising a fuss, but the tires don't have grip proportional to the handling so I'd inevitably find myself going around. Tweaking many setup knobs have not yet made it a comfortable drive pushing it the limit (I don't want to give in and just drive it tamely since one of the few practice laps I managed to finish without spinning was four seconds quicker [on Snetterton 300, so like ~1.8 minute laps] than the 80-level AI).

New car, new challenge being a reoccurring theme of PCars is awesome.

ethanol posted:

I turned real assists on and I like it. I also really like my xbone controls right now... but ffb is nooot good. It's buggy, it causes severe perfirmance stuttering in the dirt, and it is not accurate to what is happening with the car. Turning it completely off eliminated 90% of my oversteer spins with a controller and I've felt much more comfortable taking corners. This is a really stupid loving game, but it's worth it. I love our goon races
I ran with real assists until I got to an invitational with the McLaren F1 and then a Track Day Car one; both are difficult to manage with a controller and no assists and with real they have none. I copped out and got lazy and just leave the standard (ABS, TC, SC) ones on most of the time.

I've heard that about FFB on the controller and know it's borderline useless, but I can't bring myself to have no shaking (also don't feel like I've had bad stuttering tied to FFB so that is part of not doing away with it).

Phuzun posted:

When I thought snow, I was thinking falling from the sky, not a snow covered track. Be amusing as a gimmick, but not sure how much time it'd take them to manage the physics for it since I doubt it'd get much use in career given most racing events are scheduled to avoid that weather, aren't they?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I've never seen a snow race other than rally stuff.

Personally I'd love it. The rain races are fun, and it's really exciting to hydroplane at high speeds. Snow would only be better.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Phuzun posted:

I don't know, but goon racing would be fun.

I see why he is the chief driving instructor

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.
:siren:PS4 GOONS GET ONLINE NOW FOR RACING!!!!!!!!:siren:

Superkarts

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

PS4 Goons add me please!

PSN: Magic88Cube

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Why do you guys love karts so much? They seem like a nightmare.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

holocaust bloopers posted:

Why do you guys love karts so much? They seem like a nightmare.

Instant torque and squirly handeling is why I like them.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
In other news, Ian Bell posted that the team is working on AI balancing issues regarding weather.

ENJOY YOUR STUPID CARTS FOR IDIOTS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Give me a pit limiter so the stupid AI stops wrecking my poo poo on the way out of it.

• Locked thread