Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Jagchosis posted:

What was apparently in the Cartoon Network upfronts about it:

"In this multi-part series, Finn and Jake face a new threat to Ooo when Princess Bubblegum’s experiment unleashes ghosts from Marceline’s past."

Which is.... exactly my poo poo

I hope they are being literal and Bubblegum unleashes actual ghosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

UrbicaMortis posted:

I hope they are being literal and Bubblegum unleashes actual ghosts.

Yes. The ones from Heat Signature.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007

Jagchosis posted:

That's awesome, and were folks in this thread aware that Season 7 is going to include, or possibly start with, an 8 episode miniseries?

Yep, the first 8 episodes of season 7 are "Stakes" Parts 1-8.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
Hate it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

WTF is going on with this episode?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
That was just sort of really ugly and the writing seemed not good.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It really felt like a British cartoon for younger children from the eighties. Can't complain about that.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Wow, way off the goon-mind with this one. I really liked it and thought it was closer to the good ol' early episodes of having fun with Ice King and weird other kingdoms.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Paladinus posted:

It really felt like a British cartoon for younger children from the eighties. Can't complain about that.

Watch me :colbert:

JazzFlight posted:

Wow, way off the goon-mind with this one. I really liked it and thought it was closer to the good ol' early episodes of having fun with Ice King and weird other kingdoms.

I'd agree because I like the older episodes but... well, this one just didn't seem that funny? I love the idea of trying out guest animators, but I feel like this style just really didn't work for Adventure Time. There were some decent gags like Finn walking in to the same puddle multiple times even after being warned, but I feel like it just didn't fly as well as it could've. The one sight gag I feel like actually worked with the style was Ice King going back up the slide, but that's like 30 seconds out of an 11 minute episode.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 22, 2015

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
PB's voice sounded slightly off, like it was filtered to make it squeakier or something.

InvincibleMadHouse
Jan 19, 2009

by Ralp
it was a bad episode and they should feel bad.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

It was weird and it didn't feel like there was much of a point to it.

But at least it wasn't Ice King talking to furniture for 11 minutes! Or a hamhanded puberty metaphor!

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Very mixed reception, I like it. Guess I'll have to watch it. Maybe they're saving all the good poo poo for:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Zeruel posted:

Very mixed reception, I like it. Guess I'll have to watch it. Maybe they're saving all the good poo poo for:

Monday better be Magic Man.

I still laugh when I think of the device that was supposed to teleport him back to Mars if he ever felt empathy for another being, and he swore that it was broken for 200 years and Finn got it to work instantly.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
what the gently caress

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Tumblr.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Yeah that episode was plain bad, BMO wasn't even in it!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I didn't think this episode was bad at all but was absolutely the worst guest episode by far and it didn't interest me at all and it looked like a hipster flash cartoon and I don't think I'll ever watch it again.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Bown posted:

I didn't think this episode was bad at all but was absolutely the worst guest episode by far and it didn't interest me at all and it looked like a hipster flash cartoon and I don't think I'll ever watch it again.

It looked like a quintessential children's cartoon. Bright colours, simple shapes and defined character movement. Think Mr. Men, Henry's Cat, or Peppa the Pig. Don't know what's supposed to be hipsterish about it. Maybe hipsters are big babies, though.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 13:38 on May 22, 2015

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

TwoPair posted:

I'd agree because I like the older episodes but... well, this one just didn't seem that funny? I love the idea of trying out guest animators, but I feel like this style just really didn't work for Adventure Time. There were some decent gags like Finn walking in to the same puddle multiple times even after being warned, but I feel like it just didn't fly as well as it could've. The one sight gag I feel like actually worked with the style was Ice King going back up the slide, but that's like 30 seconds out of an 11 minute episode.

I enjoyed the broken 'dangerous chemicals keep out' sign when Finn arrived at the water park, but yeah, wasn't the greatest. Main issue was it just seemed to be a few things happened then it was over, which can work well sometimes as a general slice of life deal, but here it sort felt a bit 'okay so that just happened I guess'ish.

I didn't mind the art style, and it seemed appropriate for the kind of story they were trying to tell, but it comes back to that the story that was being told to me just wasn't all that engaging.

JD
Jan 11, 2003
I thought it was a good and funny episode. Some of you guys need to lighten up

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Something not being to someone's personal taste =/= being too grumpy.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I went into that episode with low expectations because of this thread. I watched it this morning and thought it was great. Sure it felt like two episodes smashed together, but I laughed a lot. Especially that bit at the end when you see what Finn really looked like. Finn and Jake's scheme was also awesome.

JD
Jan 11, 2003

Bown posted:

hipster

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I liked the design of Orangutan Princess.

Plus I don't think we have enough "fun" episodes. I like the trippy introspection, but I always have a nagging fear that too many episodes of the Ice King talking to his furniture or Lemongrab being creepy by himself or episodes that require you watching every previous one and not enough adventure will turn off some fickle executive or alienate kids.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Paladinus posted:

It looked like a quintessential children's cartoon. Bright colours, simple shapes and defined character movement. Think Mr. Men, Henry's Cat, or Peppa the Pig. Don't know what's supposed to be hipsterish about it. Maybe hipsters are big babies, though.

There was something about the textures and backgrounds that made it seem like that to me. Visually it felt "busier" than something like Peppa Pig even though it's clearly going for a similar tone.

But yeah, although I didn't dislike this episode I really have so little positive to say about it other than having 4 decent moments that made me laugh out loud slightly. Simply put AT just doesn't gel with this guy's style as well as it did for the other two guests - I checked out some of his stuff online after the ep and it was good, just this didn't land for me. And people saying it's like an early season episode are weird because it didn't resemble an early season episode in content or tone.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Bown posted:

You described something as a "hipster flash cartoon". What even is that? You might as well hitch your pants up to your chest and yell at some kids to get off your lawn

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The art style was ugly and there wasn't really any plot to speak of, but I got a chuckle out of the episode.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one
I really laughed at the magic token bouncing on the floor vent and turning into a bunch of change to fit through the slots.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

anotherone posted:

I really laughed at the magic token bouncing on the floor vent and turning into a bunch of change to fit through the slots.
That's something funny about Adventure Time. Finn is constantly tripping over himself and clumsy (and pretty easy-going about it), unlike other usual main characters.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Episode was boring and ugly. Can't all be winners.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guy A. Person posted:

You described something as a "hipster flash cartoon". What even is that? You might as well hitch your pants up to your chest and yell at some kids to get off your lawn

I haven't seen this episode but I can tell you that that guy is very stupid

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

sharktamer posted:

Yeah that episode was plain bad, BMO wasn't even in it!

Wanna play some BMO?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Well that sure was an episode of Adventure Time.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
It was fairly slow, plodding, and mainly about nothing. And not even in the same way Seinfeld is about nothing. It was a bunch of ideas of what an AT goes to the water park episode could entail, and then thrown at the wall. And then the plot that was thrown at the wall was scraped and sculpted into a very deliberate art piece, but not necessarily in a way that's satisfying.

To put it more succinctly, the creator could explain the 'what' of this episode was deftly and expertly. But unlike most other episodes, this episode's creator couldn't answer the 'why?'.

Plus, the overly detailed faces vs. the overly simplistic design that encompasses everything else is just off-putting.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
The art style was fine, just more suited for a picture book than a cartoon. The style limited itself to medium shots with all characters directly facing the camera, which pretty quickly became stilted and claustrophobic.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Guy A. Person posted:

Thank god I didn't elaborate on what I meant in the post right above this one. Also way to get how every criticism I make is something I'm shaking with fury about as I type about it.

but uhh, yeah, I've seen plenty of flash cartoons with this look. slightly oddly detailed and textured, more claustrophobic visual style, and incredibly flat. I didn't realise throwing the word "hipster" in there was going to cause people to lose their poo poo. like everyone knows that word has no real meaning anyway don't they?

e: VVV yeah this is probably about the time I'd change tactic too.

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 07:21 on May 23, 2015

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

lol I'm not losing my poo poo man it's just a silly thing to say. You're silly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

i don't know if that episode was bad but drat was it ugly

• Locked thread